FE16 Same-Sex Relationship Discussion

Two previews for Three Houses released today reveal that there are going to be same-sex options for Byleth.

This one released by GaymingMag states that there are several same-sex options for each gender, specifically implying that Claude might be one (please).

An Italian preview by "Nintendoomed" is more specific, claiming that there are 3 male options and 5 female options.

While I would prefer for there to be an equal amount of male and female options, I'm glad that there are more than Fates and that they seem to be more positive characters.

Thanibomb Spoilers:

Spoiler

With both the GaymingMag article and the leak, I'm guessing the same-sex options will be Claude, Gilbert, Linhardt, Alois (he has conversations about having a wife, so he might not be an option), Edelgard, Dorothea, Mercedes, Rhea, and Sothis.

Edited by Parrhesia

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that's going to make a lot of people happy from what I'm reading. This may have been the #1 subject discussed on the FE Reddit these past two months.

Edit: The quality of the writing part, I meant. Quantity-wise these aren't massive numbers.

(leak spoilers that don't really matter anymore but hey):

Spoiler

Better than just one for males though.

Edited by Cysx

That's a good amount more would be very unrealistic at least Claude is possibly one so at least. 

Spoiler

2 House Leaders are options RIP Dimitri fans who want him as a possible option.

I mean I'm never gonna use it (MAYBE if I do a female run one day) but at least its something for Yaoi and Yuri fans and its not too bias for females as expected. 

Just now, timon said:

The italian guy says he's only played through the first hours of the game, there might be more options than what he's discovered.

That's a fair point. I'm assuming that there aren't many others though. If we're lucky I could maybe see there being 1 or 2 more guys to make it more even.

4 minutes ago, timon said:

The italian guy says he's only played through the first hours of the game, there might be more options than what he's discovered.

They could've look at the support screen and see the letter ranks like Fates. Plus it's confirmed well know all characters from the beginning.

Edited by Dorothea Joestar Arnold

1 minute ago, Dorothea Joestar Arnold said:

They could've look at the support screen and see the letter ranks like Fates. Plus it's confirmed well know all characters from the beginning.

Yes, they looked at that screen, and later on he says that S-supports exist ONLY for Byleth. I'm not talking about same-sex, he literally says that there is no S between other characters (and that some stop at B). So it could be that other options are locked until timeskip (unless they completely removed romance except for the avatar, which would be odd).

5 minutes ago, timon said:

Yes, they looked at that screen, and later on he says that S-supports exist ONLY for Byleth. I'm not talking about same-sex, he literally says that there is no S between other characters (and that some stop at B). So it could be that other options are locked until timeskip (unless they completely removed romance except for the avatar, which would be odd).

Ah I see thanks for the clarification. Maybe there truly going Persona route where its Protagonist only but we'll see.

If there must be avatar shipping then I'm glad to see them becoming more inclusive. Kind of disappointing if there's no paired endings for other characters, or maybe A+ is the equivalent for non-Byleth units?

3 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

If there must be avatar shipping then I'm glad to see them becoming more inclusive. Kind of disappointing if there's no paired endings for other characters, or maybe A+ is the equivalent for non-Byleth units?

If there is, he didn't see it. That's the quote from him (with translation from me).

Infine, ritorna l’opzione di un sostegno S, che nei precedenti titoli che lo hanno presentato equivaleva solitamente al matrimonio, o quanto meno all’instaurazione di una relazione romantica di qualche tipo. Al momento non ho ancora potuto provarne uno, ma dall’elenco dei sostegni raggiungibile dal menu principale ho potuto vedere che… sembrerebbero essere un’esclusiva dell’Avatar. Gli altri personaggi, infatti, tra loro possono raggiungere al massimo il livello A. Non è detto naturalmente che ciò non possa cambiare andando avanti, ma è importante tenerne conto.

S support, which represents romance in previous titles, comes back. At the moment I have yet to see one, but from the list of supports in the menu I see that they seem to be Avatar's exclusive. Other characters, in fact, can only reach A level at most with each other. This might change with progression in the game.

24 minutes ago, Dorothea Joestar Arnold said:

That's a good amount more would be very unrealistic at least Claude is possibly one so at least. 

Reveal hidden contents

2 House Leaders are options RIP Dimitri fans who want him as a possible option.

I mean I'm never gonna use it (MAYBE if I do a female run one day) but at least its something for Yaoi and Yuri fans and its not too bias for females as expected. 

And magic and dragons are realistic? Also, saying this is just for yaoi and yuri fans is kinda gross. There are plenty of queer fans who will be happy for the representation.

6 minutes ago, PurpleHairedMage said:

And magic and dragons are realistic? Also, saying this is just for yaoi and yuri fans is kinda gross. There are plenty of queer fans who will be happy for the representation.

With the Japanese fans and anime fans obviously always in mind this is mostly intended for that crowd first before anyone else which is second.

Just now, PurpleHairedMage said:

Regardless, you are being very dismissive of queer representation. You need to choose your words better if you don't want to come off as homophobic.

Uh...no...your just simply being sensitive over facts and trying to label someone bad. I'm not going through this nonsense again so this ends here reply but I'll ignore and move on...

I am glad to see more options this time, Fates was a start but it was not very good in terms of choices.  I personally won't use it, but as someone who supports the LGBT+ community I am happy to see this.

33 minutes ago, timon said:

If there is, he didn't see it. That's the quote from him (with translation from me).

S support, which represents romance in previous titles, comes back. At the moment I have yet to see one, but from the list of supports in the menu I see that they seem to be Avatar's exclusive. Other characters, in fact, can only reach A level at most with each other. This might change with progression in the game.

We really Persona now? But seriously that's interesting if they really do this it makes sense how Byleth is structured around but interesting.

I'm fine with the distribution of 3 vs 5, it's a decent step up from Fates and not too skewed. Hopefully they'll expand on this and give even more same-sex options in future games.

I'm really curious about who the remaining two bi males are. Hopefully at least one of them will appeal to me. I know people are speculating that it's Claude and/or Alois, but I there's not sufficient evidence of that for me yet. 

Edited by EJ107

19 minutes ago, Lau said:

If Claude is bi I will cry tears of happiness. This is all I want, please IS!

The first article from Gaymingmag(just picked up on the name... that explains the subject matter(^_^')) is almost entirely about Claude. It doesn't factually confirm it, but there seems to be a pretty strong chance.

6 minutes ago, EJ107 said:

I'm fine with the distribution of 3 vs 5, it's a decent step up from Fates and not too skewed. Hopefully they'll expand on this and give even more same-sex options in future games.

I'm really curious about who the remaining two bi males are, though. Hopefully at least one of them will appeal to me. I know people are speculating that it's Claude and/or Alois, but I don't think there's sufficient evidence of that for me yet. 

The extra two options for F!Byleth don’t really bother me since there are still multiple options for M!Byleth, which is an improvement. Also, quality matters more to me than quantity - if we do indeed get Claude, F!Byleth could have the entire rest of the school and I wouldn’t really care. 

I don’t think that...

Spoiler

Alois is gay? He has conversations about his wife and kid. Well... not that that means he CAN’T be gay (lol), but you catch my drift! I hope it’s another student. Preferably from blue lions!

4 minutes ago, SockPuppet said:

I don’t think that...

Hide contents

Alois is gay? He has conversations about his wife and kid. Well... not that that means he CAN’T be gay (lol), but you catch my drift! I hope it’s another student. Preferably from blue lions!

We've already seen that no guys in blue lions are romanceable by M!Byleth, unless there's an unknown reason why they would be missing S rank while the girls have it

Edit: Also where have you seen Alois talk about that? I don't think I've seen it but there's so much new info now I could have easily missed it

Edited by firewitch912

7 minutes ago, firewitch912 said:

We've already seen that no guys in blue lions are romanceable by M!Byleth, unless there's an unknown reason why they would be missing S rank while the girls have it

Edit: Also where have you seen Alois talk about that? I don't think I've seen it but there's so much new info now I could have easily missed it

I'm more on the optimistic side in regards to the Lions 😛