FE16 Same-Sex Relationship Discussion

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, zuibangde said:

So someone asked the reviewer who leaked the information if the support menu was accessed after post skip and who the 3 mlm options are. The reviewer replied with 'can't talk about spoilers' and then proceeded to tell who the three options are within the same reply. Anyone else finds that a bit suspicious? I'm mostly just confused about why she said she can't talk about spoilers and then proceeded to spoil who the three options are. This combined with Thani's comment about gay options being 'spoilery' is making me raise eyebrows. 

The reviewer stated that the spoilers are all w/w, so that's why she showed only the m!byleth section. She's also said that the extra menu shows all potential supports. There could be mystery characters that she couldn't see, but I also remember the directors specifically saying that they wanted all possible characters and supports available from the start, even if you couldn't use them in battle. So it's likely that all characters have been introduced, though there's a small chance that there's someone else

Edit: I will happily continue my Queer Rage that m/m once again have poor quality and quantity. I think Alois is a great choice. Linhardt could be good post timeskip and I like his personality, but he feels kind of meme-ish right now. Gilbert seems ridiculous every way I look at it.

Edited by firewitch912

Just now, Soapbar said:

Better: stop making loli dragons

That would be ideal, but we can't have everything.

3 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Sothis?  They really need to stop giving the loli dragon as a romantic option.

Spoiler

Thani has implied that Sothis will look older after the timeskip. It's not definite, but it feels likely.

Just now, BastienSoul said:
  Hide contents

Thani has implied that Sothis will look older after the timeskip. It's not definite, but it feels likely.

Spoiler

That would be welcome.  Without knowing too much about this universe, I was used to manaketes taking thousands of years to age.

Something that strikes me as a little strange is that the support list uses the School!Phase portraits. I thought at least half or more of the game takes place in the War!Phase? Also about 13 hours ago the person who's providing the information posted that she's 28 hours into the game and the end is nowhere in sight - for all we know, she's not at the timeskip herself yet. It could be that the game tells where you are in the route and changes upon the timeskip. It would be rather odd to be in the War!Phase and still see the pre-timeskip portraits.

1 minute ago, MoonlitWasteland said:

Something that strikes me as a little strange is that the support list uses the School!Phase portraits. I thought at least half or more of the game takes place in the War!Phase? Also about 13 hours ago the person who's providing the information posted that she's 28 hours into the game and the end is nowhere in sight - for all we know, she's not at the timeskip herself yet. It could be that the game tells where you are in the route and changes upon the timeskip. It would be rather odd to be in the War!Phase and still see the pre-timeskip portraits.

Well, we've seen the support lists for Blue Lions and Golden Deer, and Male Byleth has S ranks with all the girls, and none of the guys. Sort of odd if the timeskip was to unlock that.

2 minutes ago, Onestep said:

Well, we've seen the support lists for Blue Lions and Golden Deer, and Male Byleth has S ranks with all the girls, and none of the guys. Sort of odd if the timeskip was to unlock that.

Quite. Honestly the whole support thing in Houses has confused me the more I hear and see, with any argument another person has a counterpoint. I can't help but think that we won't really know anything set in stone until the 25th, which I believe is when info on the rest of the game can be revealed.

Or maybe I'm just dumb. That's the probable answer.

39 minutes ago, firewitch912 said:

The reviewer stated that the spoilers are all w/w, so that's why she showed only the m!byleth section. She's also said that the extra menu shows all potential supports. There could be mystery characters that she couldn't see, but I also remember the directors specifically saying that they wanted all possible characters and supports available from the start, even if you couldn't use them in battle. So it's likely that all characters have been introduced, though there's a small chance that there's someone else

Edit: I will happily continue my Queer Rage that m/m once again have poor quality and quantity. I think Alois is a great choice. Linhardt could be good post timeskip and I like his personality, but he feels kind of meme-ish right now. Gilbert seems ridiculous every way I look at it.

The way I interpreted her tweet was that she can't show F!Byleth's supports to us because there are spoilers reflecting her playthrough as F!Byleth in Black Eagles. The two wlw she couldn't show just happen to be under the 'spoiler' (but then she more or less confirmed the leaks) but it may also suggest that there are other characters that we haven't seen yet that she also couldn't show. I'm assuming the same would apply to M!Byleth. The directors' comments are interesting though...

She also explicitly stated that this is a 'preview' not a 'review' and that the things she posts reflect on what she sees during her playthrough. If she hasn't played as M!Byleth yet, there is a chance for mlm options after the skip (that aren't students or whatever). It is good to lower expectations though haha. 

Edited by zuibangde

27 minutes ago, Rezzy said:
  Hide contents

That would be welcome.  Without knowing too much about this universe, I was used to manaketes taking thousands of years to age.

Thing is Sothis we saw so far isn't her physical form, so we don't know what she really looks like. Nintendo also clearly prohibit media show her after time skip, probably for this reason.

If she's truly the goddess, she likely looks like the one on the mural after time skip.

15 minutes ago, MoonlitWasteland said:

Or maybe I'm just dumb. That's the probable answer.

You aren't dumb for questioning what's being shown to you of a product before its release.  So many others have unwittingly supported bad business practices by throwing caution to the wind and throwing their money at products of subpar quality without even hearing about or seeing what the product is actually like.

Just now, Ertrick36 said:

You aren't dumb for questioning what's being shown to you of a product before its release.  So many others have unwittingly supported bad business practices by throwing caution to the wind and throwing their money at products of subpar quality without even hearing about or seeing what the product is actually like.

Nice pokemon jab

I'm actually so upset? It wouldn't sting so much if it weren't for that one reviewer who was heavily hinting towards Claude being bi.

Ffs, I like Alois and Gilbert just fine as characters, but as gay options? They're old enough to be Byleth's dad and I just don't like that. Linhardt is fine, but...Claude. He makes so much sense, why isn't he bi?

Can we get a patch? I feel like we need a patch already.

1 hour ago, Nio said:

So one Pic, ONE tells the whole story. Why would it be different post time skip? Because the person that said that also preditced literally everything else

Btw, here is a pic, this PROVES that we can only support til B!

2019071100382500-0DC6ECE91CF3F6F02BAFC002E3FFBAAD.jpg

This is indeed interesting so is this a Sylvain support window? What route is this Blue Lions? Curious to see what supports options are like from characters that are in the same house. So far I only know that Edelgard can only go up too rank b with Dorothea and Petra? pre time skip. 

Edited by Aquarius

4 minutes ago, zuibangde said:

The way I interpreted her tweet was that she can't show F!Byleth's supports to us because there are spoilers reflecting her playthrough as F!Byleth in Black Eagles. The two wlw she couldn't show just happens to be under the 'spoiler' (but then she more or less confirmed the leaks) but it also suggests there are other characters that we haven't seen yet that she also can't show. I'm assuming the same would apply to M!Byleth. The directors' comments are interesting though...

I pulled them here actually. I'm also not sure what part of her tweet suggests that there are post time skip only characters, but that's just me.

RPG Site: Do you feel the setting opened up a lot of opportunities for you in storytelling, design, gameplay and so on?

Kusakihara: There was a very great advantage of proceeding with this sort of story - when you look at the older games, you meet a lot of new characters one after one throughout the story. You get to know them in an uneven way, and you might know some better than others when you get to the last part. With our new system, all of the characters are here from the beginning of the game, so you have time to get closer to them, to build a good, deep relationship with them. That's a very different approach for us concerning relationships between characters.

3 minutes ago, Lau said:

I'm actually so upset? It wouldn't sting so much if it weren't for that one reviewer who was heavily hinting towards Claude being bi.

Ffs, I like Alois and Gilbert just fine as characters, but as gay options? They're old enough to be Byleth's dad and I just don't like that. Linhardt is fine, but...Claude. He makes so much sense, why isn't he bi?

Honestly I've been trying to think about how to request that. I figure I should at least wait until the game releases, but it's not unreasonable that we should bring our complaints to IS.

Spoiler

In terms of the M/M options, Linhardt is fine. I know that him being a feminine male means he caters to a stereotype, but as long as he's a good character I don't think his appearance is a detriment to being a gay option. Alois I'm not as sure of, in a vacuum he'd be fine as he has a good design and personality, but the potentially large (do we know his official age yet?) age difference and the fact that he has a wife and kid does make it more questionable. If the situation's written well and the age difference isn't that huge, then I'd be fine with it, but if not then it'll probably be one to be avoided. Gilbert... eh, not feeling that one.

Also, Claude's a heartbreaker, stole so many hearts just to stomp on them. 

Edited by Medeus

13 minutes ago, Lau said:

Maybe daddies are MByleth's type.

7 minutes ago, Medeus said:
  Hide contents

In terms of the M/M options, Linhardt is fine. I know that him being a feminine male means he caters to a stereotype, but as long as he's a good character I don't think his appearance is a detriment to being a gay option. Alois is a bit more questionable, in a vacuum he'd be fine as he has a good design and personality, but the potentially large (do we know his official age yet?) age difference and the fact that he has a wife and kid does give some negative implications. If the situation's written well and the age difference isn't that huge, then I'd be fine with it, but if not then it'll probably be one to be avoided. Gilbert... eh, not feeling that one.

Also, Claude's a heartbreaker, stole so many hearts just to stomp on them. 

Spoiler

Linhardt is a pretty good character, but personally not for me(though I'm glad the option is there for others. My main issue is that both Alois and Gilbert fill a very similar niche, and that they're probably around the same age as your father. Alois made some sense until the whole wife bit, I just can't see that playing out well. And our limited knowledge of Gilbert shows him as a worse version of Alois, plus Annette might be his daughter.

As a straight dude, i don't plan on using this but i'm glad it's there for the people that want it. The unbalanced ratio of male/female gay options is disappointing but i definitely do appreciate that the options are way better than Fates' sadistic thief and Tharja but again.

I will say that i don't think the unbalanced ratio of gay options is a dealbreaker. I 100% get the disappointment but i don't see how it's enough to lose hype over.

It's a Fire Emblem game, of course it needed controversy right before release.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

As a straight dude, i don't plan on using this but i'm glad it's there for the people that want it. The unbalanced ratio of male/female gay options is disappointing but i definitely do appreciate that the options are way better than Fates' sadistic thief and Tharja but again.

I will say that i don't think the unbalanced ratio of gay options is a dealbreaker. I 100% get the disappointment but i don't see how it's enough to lose hype over.

It's a Fire Emblem game, of course it needed controversy right before release.

No one has so far said it's a dealbreaker, just that we're disappointed that a character who people thought/hoped would be bi isn't and that some of the options we get are mediocre (namely Gilbert). Personally I hope they patch it so that we get more m/m but we'll see

4 minutes ago, firewitch912 said:

No one has so far said it's a dealbreaker, just that we're disappointed that a character who people thought/hoped would be bi isn't and that some of the options we get are mediocre (namely Gilbert). Personally I hope they patch it so that we get more m/m but we'll see

Again, 100% understand the disappointment but i'm seeing some overreaction in this thread. On paper, the unbalanced ratio here isn't really enough to affect the quality of the game in my opinion. It all comes down to the writing.

Though i do get appearances are a factor and the gay options for the guys don't appear to be particularly appealing when they're a bunch of old dudes while the ladies get younger options. But still, this isn't something to lose sleep.

I think a big part of why so many people are disappointed isn't just the MxM options we got or the number, but that some of the early screenshots revealed and that one preview strongly, strongly implied Claude was one of them. And Claude is someone that a huge number of the gay dudes I follow online were rooting for as an option from the moment he was revealed, so this was really exciting for people to see him seemingly confirmed.

Buuuuut turns out he's apparently not actually an option after all. If you just added Claude to the 3 MxM options in the game I think most people would be fairly satisfied. I'm still hoping that maybe there's some weird support shenanigans going on and maybe he is an option after all but those screenshots don't look good.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Again, 100% understand the disappointment but i'm seeing some overreaction in this thread. On paper, the unbalanced ratio here isn't really enough to affect the quality of the game in my opinion. It all comes down to the writing.

Though i do get appearances are a factor and the gay options for the guys don't appear to be particularly appealing when they're a bunch of old dudes while the ladies get younger options. But still, this isn't something to lose sleep.

It is immediate and blurry unmediated gut reactions to a new game into which people placed hope and speculations. Once the game is out and a little time passes, this will all fizzle out, never to ignite a fire again, only illicit a minor criticism from time to time, which won't result in a flurry of posts.

If you're looking for a fire that won't die, well I haven't a clue what one of those would be yet. Narrative will eventually lose its burn to the ground punch. Only really risque attire on the proper bodies and personalities has the ability to summon mods from now to 2039. Outside of that, who knows, maybe this game will avoid eternal controversy. Not all titles in FE are equally divisive and controversial, even if all have some point of contention. But what game has none?