FE16 Same-Sex Relationship Discussion

And here I was hoping we could get a game that ditches marriage altogether... Makes sense for games where there is a second generation to strategically create like in Genealogy/Awakening/Fates, but otherwise I would rather there just be no marriage supports at all. lol

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

but is mostly wishful thinking because i don't like the modern FE tendency to not have lategame characters. 

Same. I like having good prepromotes later in the game. The idea of having to train up everyone, to have every unit be an investment project, is not something I care for. I'm fine without infinite flexibility too.

They don't all have to be Pentalicious, although all Frostawful isn't very good either. I'll take balanced prepromotes, like Reina, Cecilia, and Ralph.

Some people like growers, but whats wrong with showers? Get back to giving us both IS.

But on the bright side of romance, FE lets you pair up people that aren't the main characterxsomebody. Thats an improvement over other games. Though FE should get back to giving us pre-established/betrothed/married couples. 

That, and maybe just ending some supports in "preludes to love". No "Marry me!" confession, but instead ending with a touching moment where one can see an eternal romance budding, without it being blatantly stated. It'd be the character endings where the marriage is stated and described. Like in some GBA supports. 

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

19 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

The entitlment is in the difference between giving an author criticism and suggestions, and demand ANYTHING like you own Nintendo. It may seems strange, but i have no problem with boycotting or threatening a boycott while stating clearly to the authors why they are boycotting. But i have a problem with this kind of complains even if the people doing them are going to buy the game.

Why? Because in the former case you are not acting like the author own you anything. You just have some personal rules and follow them. I am not joining #bringbackthenationaldex, but i am not buying sword and shield either, because for me the dex is a dealbreacker.

My problem is not refusing to buy the game, or give criticism and suggestions, it's the wave of anger and vitriol, like nintendo personally wronged people by not giving them certain options.

I may like having an asexual character that can't be romanced at all(and i am massively annoyed by the fact that i can't have purely platonic relationships with half the cast), but i also don't think i am entitled to throw a tantrum every time there isn't one in an rpg, or because you need a paid DLC to know that Lukas is asexual(even if it's a decision that i find stupid). Admittely, i can just play an asexual by ignoring romances, wich is a luxury gay people don't have.

Also, the importance argument seems just a variation of "we want Claude", because outside of the 2 house leaders all the important male characters are Jeralt or villains( i am not considering the retainers important), and i doubt many people want to romance him. Also, i don't really like Edelgard being an option because imo royals have an obligation to have heirs, and adopting one would weaken her position in the Adrestian court. While i don't think some s rank will magically appear later in the game, i think is possible that some unknown characters may join later(and be the 2 missing romances), but is mostly wishful thinking because i don't like the modern FE tendency to not have lategame characters. 

I'm very confused. We haven't been demanding anything. In fact, I, and probably other people as well, have found that I constantly need to mollify my criticism by pointing out that I'm glad IS is improving and that we're still happy, yet still we have people saying that we're overreacting. There has been no demand, we have simply stated how we think this situation could be improved. In fact, numerous times people have also pointed out that we don't even expect, much less demand, that the m/m options will change once the game is out. 

It's ridiculous that you'd even think to compare this to the national dex issue. No where have I seen people spamming nintendo or anyone else demanding that Claude or anyone else be brought in. People have posted this criticisms and critiques in this thread, as well as in their own personal posts on places like twitter. We're planning on giving our problems with these representations through the proper channels, using the customer support that exists for this reason.

It's nice that you'd like an asexual character, and I think that should be something added in, but it's not comparable to having m/m romances in the game. You've even admitted so yourself And this isn't the oppression olympics, we shouldn't try and use other underrepresented identities as a reason that people shouldn't critique the ones that we do have.

And you have the importance thing backwards. It's not an excuse to give a reason for wanting Claude, but rather another valid criticism that the m/m men appear to be sidelined. And as I said before, we've said numerous times that it really isn't necessary, just a trend we noticed and would prefer fixed.

And the directors themselves have said that they wanted every character available to form a bond with from the beginning. They could make an exception to this or have a second group post timeskip, but it seems like that isn't true.

9 minutes ago, firewitch912 said:

I'm very confused. We haven't been demanding anything. In fact, I, and probably other people as well, have found that I constantly need to mollify my criticism by pointing out that I'm glad IS is improving and that we're still happy, yet still we have people saying that we're overreacting. There has been no demand, we have simply stated how we think this situation could be improved. In fact, numerous times people have also pointed out that we don't even expect, much less demand, that the m/m options will change once the game is out. 

It's ridiculous that you'd even think to compare this to the national dex issue. No where have I seen people spamming nintendo or anyone else demanding that Claude or anyone else be brought in. People have posted this criticisms and critiques in this thread, as well as in their own personal posts on places like twitter. We're planning on giving our problems with these representations through the proper channels, using the customer support that exists for this reason.

It's nice that you'd like an asexual character, and I think that should be something added in, but it's not comparable to having m/m romances in the game. You've even admitted so yourself And this isn't the oppression olympics, we shouldn't try and use other underrepresented identities as a reason that people shouldn't critique the ones that we do have.

And you have the importance thing backwards. It's not an excuse to give a reason for wanting Claude, but rather another valid criticism that the m/m men appear to be sidelined. And as I said before, we've said numerous times that it really isn't necessary, just a trend we noticed and would prefer fixed.

And the directors themselves have said that they wanted every character available to form a bond with from the beginning. They could make an exception to this or have a second group post timeskip, but it seems like that isn't true.

I mean, Serene's has been relatively balanced. There are number of people on other sites who have thrown absolute fits on this. But there's always that group of people who massively overreact, so I just ignore them.

I don't have any interest in the homosexual options, but I was surprised at the fact they chose older men for two of the three gay choices. It seemed like a very odd choice overall.

It'a not the what is the how. It's just my interpretation, but maybe i read some comments as angrier than the authors intended. In general, as a creative i don't like representstion arguments because everytime i write i feel a Sword of Damocles on my head, like if i don't write some specific things i have no intention of writing(for example, i have 0 interest in writing romance and sex but everytime i am writing a non straight charcter i feel like i have too or else some reader may think those charcter sexuality is just lip service) i am evil. So i may ovvereacted because of that.

Edited by Flere210

3 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

It'a not the what is the how. It's just my interpretation, but maybe i read some comments as angrier than the authors intended. In general, as a creative i don't like representstion arguments because everytime i write i feel a Sword of Damocles on my head, like if i don't write some specific things i have no intention of writing(for example, i have 0 interest in writing romance and sex but everytime i am writing a non straight charcter i feel like i have too or else some reader may think those charcter sexuality is just lip service) i am evil. So i may ovvereacted because of that.

That's fair. I know there have been angry comments in here, but in my experience they are between people coming in here to put down queer people, rather than towards nintendo. And I hope you can feel better about writing queer characters. If their queerness is in the story, then that's good for me, regardless of romance. For me, lip service is characters like Dumbledore, who's apparent queerness is stated by the author only outside of the work, as if trying to have representation without actually putting it in the story. Also I'd be interested to read some of your work sometime if you'd be okay with that.

18 minutes ago, Onestep said:

I mean, Serene's has been relatively balanced. There are number of people on other sites who have thrown absolute fits on this. But there's always that group of people who massively overreact, so I just ignore them.

I don't have any interest in the homosexual options, but I was surprised at the fact they chose older men for two of the three gay choices. It seemed like a very odd choice overall.

Yes there are people who have thrown fits, but they seem to be the minority like you said.

And that's been our biggest question.

2 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

No matter what you'll always do something that'll peeve someone off.  Hell, just the fact that you might even have LGBTQ characters will make people (bigots) mad, and IS very evidently made some older fans of the series very angry when they implemented S-supports and 2nd Gen characters in the 3DS games.  There's just no pleasing everyone, and you have to accept that and realize that it's better to focus on entertaining those who will accept your works for what they are.

As a writer, you can't be beholden to those you do not intend to appeal to in the first place.  If you don't want to write about romance, don't; a simple telling of their status (e.g. saying they have a lover or what-have-you, or them stating what they are or aren't interested in) is a perfectly legitimate way of including an LGBTQ character without employing romance.  For example, maybe they are doing what they're doing for an expressed lover, or someone approaches them in a suggestive matter and they need to express how they feel in return (doesn't have to lead into romance).  In fact, it's sometimes better because you can use the lack of focus on the romance/sex part to show that a gay person can be more than just "a guy/gal that has sex with other guys/gals".

In the case of IS writing homosexual characters, I understand the need to treat them with respect - every complaint one has should be handled with maturity and grace, not like a beast rattling in a cage scratching at passersby.  However, they are also trying something they seem to not naturally be accustomed to - which is creating homosexual relationships.  So to that end, they should receive unfiltered, constructive criticism, because they are out of their depth on this issue.

I myself will wait until I can get a proper look at these relationships before I provide proper criticism.  And now that I think about it more, I think the issue is more complicated than I would've initially thought.  But I do understand the concerns people have.

2 minutes ago, firewitch912 said:

For me, lip service is characters like Dumbledore, who's apparent queerness is stated by the author only outside of the work, as if trying to have representation without actually putting it in the story.

That's called Word of God - where an author feels the need to expressly state facts about their world they didn't reveal in the story.  And this in particular has its own subset term - Word of Gay, where a character previously assumed to have been heterosexual (mostly due to lack of anything suggesting otherwise) is stated by the author after-the-fact that they were, in fact, gay.

Funny thing too is that Claude's reveal of him being exclusively straight could be considered something approaching a Word of Straight - where a character who was thought to be gay, bi, or queer is revealed to actually be straight.  That's typically just a thing exclusive to LGBTQ media circles, so it's no surprise that this trope was invoked mostly by a LGBTQ-oriented gaming journalism outfit.

Usually is seen as a bad thing by writing circles in general.  Whenever some factoid about a story has to be stated by the author themselves, that's basically an admission of failure to implement an idea or to properly convey something to the audience that the author clearly wanted the audience to notice.  Or else it's a cop-out, which I strongly feel is what JK Rowling did in that instance.  Either way, there's no good reason one should just suddenly change a story post-publication in such a way.  It's understandable to speak of things you wanted to do (e.g. a game developer talking about how they wanted to implement a cannon that shoots Bowsers), but it's almost never a good idea to say "oh yeah, this is how it actually happened".

23 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Usually is seen as a bad thing by writing circles in general.  Whenever some factoid about a story has to be stated by the author themselves, that's basically an admission of failure to implement an idea or to properly convey something to the audience that the author clearly wanted the audience to notice.  Or else it's a cop-out, which I strongly feel is what JK Rowling did in that instance.  Either way, there's no good reason one should just suddenly change a story post-publication in such a way.  It's understandable to speak of things you wanted to do (e.g. a game developer talking about how they wanted to implement a cannon that shoots Bowsers), but it's almost never a good idea to say "oh yeah, this is how it actually happened".

The problem with JK Rowling from what I got, is that it seems kinda disingenuous, and never her true ideas from the start, while avoiding all the posible ways to "rectify" it. There were discussions about that when Fantastic Beasts II came out.

At least IS seems to be trying to tackle the subject, even if it may not be  in the most graceful way.

4 minutes ago, Tamanoir said:

The problem with JK Rowling from what I got, is that it seems kinda disingenuous, and never her true ideas from the start, while avoiding all the posible ways to "rectify" it. There were discussions about that when Fantastic Beasts II came out.

At least IS seems to be trying to tackle the subject, even if it may not be  in the most graceful way.

Well, and IS isn't going around saying "Oh yeah, Ike was totally gay for Soren".  They know Word of God will piss off their fandom which so strongly values their ability to create the relationships between characters that they want to create ever since Binding Blade.  Worst case scenario they do some slight retcons, such as making Leon gay or making characters appear in New Mystery where they didn't appear in the original game (and tbf in the former case there was barely any story to begin with, so creative liberties were practically a necessity).

JK Rowling's statement felt like a political publicity stunt - as if Rowling was just trying to add to her "progressive cred" by pretending that Harry Potter has always been representing the gay community.  That's different from Intelligent Systems, who are actively including gay characters in their games under a generally positive light.  Even if they make some mistakes, that's still better than what Rowling did, and they do deserve to be recognized for trying harder than a supposed staunch LGBTQ ally.

And again, there are ways to include gay reps even in the absence of romance and sex, and given how great a novelist Rowling is I would imagine she'd know that - she should know that.  Which only adds to the astonishment people had to such an inelegant way of involving progressive politics in one's own works as JK Rowling employed, and disillusioned fans to her authenticity as a supposed LGBTQ ally and proper novelist who lets her works speak for themselves.

2 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

strongly values their ability to create the relationships between characters that they want to create ever since Binding Blade.  Worst case scenario they do some slight retcons, such as making Leon gay or making characters appear in New Mystery where they didn't appear in the original game (and tbf in the former case there was barely any story to begin with, so creative liberties were practically a necessity).

The bolded rolled together in my head. 😆

I think the mods would shut it down if I made it now, but later, when the 3H coals cool, I might make it. An FFtF topic titled "Who Would You Make Gay/Bi/Trans In an FE Remake". And honestly, much of the Binding Blade cast can be sorta dull, being the first time they tried out supports. LGTBQ+ retroactive repping would be one way of spicing it up.

Now who to make what? There is only one way to find out without offending anyone. Luck!

*Spins wheel* 🙈 *Throws dart* 

🎯

"Clarine is a transgender heterosexual woman"

Should I try again? Maybe this isn't actually a good idea.🙄 

But how else to solve the 6 extra men problem in Genealogy Gen 1?

3 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

In fact, it's sometimes better because you can use the lack of focus on the romance/sex part to show that a gay person can be more than just "a guy/gal that has sex with other guys/gals".

True. I could see it being tricky, and a matter of preference when writing, with no single clear answer.

On the one hand, attraction and romance is important to being gay.

On the other, always including it reduces gays to being only about that, when it can be just one facet of their multifaceted lives. Some people live for love more than others, but some less.

The reason why the facet matters and is tricky, is because it has been the sole basis of discrimination against otherwise perfectly normal people for decades and centuries. Acknowledging it is required to fight that oppression, although I guess people will debate how much acknowledgment is needed.

A straight character doesn't need their straightness stated, due to it being the default assumption, or it being readily recognized attraction/love is only one facet of straights. While gays might be reduced to that one facet, or assumed to be not gay when they are.

And thanks for the Harry Potter Dumble stuff, never knew any of the details of that.😀

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Yeah, when some straight people complaining abt how gay people are talking about our minuscule options it comes across as tone-deaf considering they can and often always have had their pick of the entire cast. I know some of y'all are trying to be cool abt it tho. I was really, really hoping that IS would stop making the entire cast romance-able, it adds more character and realism if some people are already together or are unromancable. Tbh, ideally I'd prefer to see like 5-8 or so options max for each sexuality (m!Byleth has 5 gay options and 5 straight and same for f!Byleth). It seems strange to see people here and there talk about "realism" or whatever in the limited gay options when straight options are literally just every single character. If the gay vs straight options were actually even I'm sure many straight guys would go ballistic. Maybe not as much on here, probably on other sites. 

Wlw like masculine women a lot of times, mlm like feminine men a lot of times, it's not a stereotype deal. If feminine men and masculine women are portrayed as a caricature, if they use demeaning, harmful, and/or trivializing ways of depicting gay or bi masculine women/feminine men or if the depictions try to shame them for being who they are, then yeah that is a problem. 

The entire game was made to pander to straight men and everyone else was more of an after thought, especially considering how all the women look very conventionally attractive and the men seem more designed after their personalities. Sothis looks like a prepubescent kid, they should have removed all of her supports imo and spent that time and energy making extra gay supports or not made her look like she's 8 or 10 at all. The problem with the 5/3 supports is that while they do seem to be making some progress we're still getting scraps, especially mlm, and I'm not convinced they're really listening to or caring what actual queer people would want. Mlm got such a shitty deal, idk what they were thinking.

Still the f/f options besides sothis look pretty good, although some alternative options would have made a bit more sense considering what a lot of us wlw tend to like. Still good options tho. I'm not gonna be completely excited for the wlw options as a lesbian until I see if they're done in a non-creepy or trivializing way... People get really creepy with wlw, tired of being treated as if we're some fetish sex thing or "just really good friends who kiss sometimes but ultimately prefer or need men". 

The fact there are no child units makes me feel so relieved, thank god they scrapped it.

@Etrurian emperor lmao, spot on

I think it's probably a good idea to note that romance =/= sex, and sex has historically been the thing that's difficult to portray in gay relationships, owing to the stereotype of "all gay people are sex crazed maniacs" by bigots. Romance, on the other hand, is something that's pretty uncontroversial to show, as long as you don't make every conversation with Dorothea for example about how much she wants to flirt with women. At least, that's how it is IMGO (in my gay opinion.)

17 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I think the mods would shut it down if I made it now, but later, when the 3H coals cool, I might make it. An FFtF topic titled "Who Would You Make Gay/Bi/Trans In an FE Remake". And honestly, much of the Binding Blade cast can be sorta dull, being the first time they tried out supports. LGTBQ+ retroactive repping would be one way of spicing it up.

I don’t think that would get shut down as long as it remained civil. Just make sure you specify that it’s for ideas on the topic only, not answers like, “I wouldn’t change anyone!”

I’d certainly submit some ideas. In fact, it’d be better off in general FE.

1 minute ago, 0 Def Cleric said:

I think it's probably a good idea to note that romance =/= sex, and sex has historically been the thing that's difficult to portray in gay relationships, owing to the stereotype of "all gay people are sex crazed maniacs" by bigots. Romance, on the other hand, is something that's pretty uncontroversial to show, as long as you don't make every conversation with Dorothea for example about how much she wants to flirt with women. At least, that's how it is IMGO (in my gay opinion.)

We call them sexualities, but you're right.

Being homoromantic/biromantic is as, or maybe more, important to being gay/bi, than having homo/bi sex. One can be straight but have little sex, so the same should apply to LGBs.

Showing gay sex might be the hard thing to show in terms of what you say, and maybe what mass audiences would tolerate. But would portraying and writing gay romance might require skill/tact? What physical sex between two men or two women looks like would not be so hard to figure out and act, compared to figuring out how to word eloquent intimate conversations between the same? I don't really know. I never took gender studies.

...Should I leave this topic now? Maybe I should get back to Persona 2, and actually see what this little nothing much side choice of being able to pick a feminine guy as your romantic pal over two girls in a '90s game looks like.

On 7/13/2019 at 8:59 AM, gone said:

People seem to forget that Fire Emblem at it's core is a turn-based strategy RPG. Since Awakening & Fates pushed this whole idea to romance everyone & everything, appearently we now need standards for this whole romance stuff, which imo is just another feature to sell the game. The day IS really thinks about making this whole romance & dating stuff a  core feature, we can stop calling  it Fire Emblem. This is not what Fire Emblem is about, maybe IGN will make you believe this crap but it's really not.

I personally have no interest in romancing a fictional character. This is also the reason I don't care for an Avatar (selling feature).

Reading through this thread just proves my criticsm towards modern FE. This subject will never be done right (unless you find the likes of Niles & Leon a genuine representataion of gay people and even than I find most S supports terrible & cringy) , like now there are 8 options in this game and people still are whining about it.

I think you're forgetting the fact that adding this "dating option" in Awakening contributed to its success, which revived the whole series. Ever since these new features were added to FE games, a plethora of new fans now make up a huge portion of the FE community. Like it or not, these supports are now a big part of the game and attract many people. I especially wouldn't blame members of the LGBTQ community wanting fit representation with suitable gay characters. I'm sorry, but I'm not looking for any daddies, I'm looking for someone around my character's age who's actually attractive.

You know looking back I do wonder what Thani meant by some of the gay options being "spoilery" (if I remember correctly). If they're plot related characters it looks like she's already listed the ones that WOULD be most relevant for the girls (Edelgard, Sothis, etc.). Does that mean theres another overlooked female option? Does that mean there's like a secret option for the guys that unlocks after certain conditions?  Or is it just relevant to something they do in-story?

Don't wanna get my hopes up yet but its something to think about.

10 minutes ago, Cyan1456 said:

You know looking back I do wonder what Thani meant by some of the gay options being "spoilery" (if I remember correctly). If they're plot related characters it looks like she's already listed the ones that WOULD be most relevant for the girls (Edelgard, Sothis, etc.). Does that mean theres another overlooked female option? Does that mean there's like a secret option for the guys that unlocks after certain conditions?  Or is it just relevant to something they do in-story?

I think this is the quote you're talking about.

Edelgard is one of them. As are Dorothea and Mercedes I believe. Some others may be a bit more spoilery.

I don't know too much about the male side. I just know that Lynhart is romance-able by M!Byleth.

Given that she doesn't mention them, they're major characters, and we didn't know if Rhea was playable or secretly an enemy, I think the psoilery comment is about her her and Sothis. I don't think Thani was talking about other characters, as she did eventually reveal them as options

I find the secret guy option unlikely as well, since she does say that she only knows about Lynhardt at that point.

2 hours ago, Cyan1456 said:

I think the most likely/only way for more mlm options is if there are recruitable units post skip. Even then, there are conflicting information about this between the interview with devs claiming that you will see everyone right from the beginning and, iirc, Thani saying that there are recruitable units post skip.

We know that there will be characters we haven’t seen yet post skip. However, whether some of them will be recruitable or not is the question. Even if some are recruitable, they may not necessarily be mlm options.

I hope that there will be recruitable units post skip though. From a gameplay perspective, let’s say I didn’t recruit any students from other houses during the monastery phase. Assuming we’ve seen all playable characters now, I will be heading to war phase with only 20 (or less) units. If I’m a newcomer and am unaware of soft resets or if I want to play an Ironman run, only having ~20 units and a limited use timewheel mechanic for the rest of the game will be pretty stressful.

43 minutes ago, zuibangde said:

I think the most likely/only way for more mlm options is if there are recruitable units post skip. Even then, there are conflicting information about this between the interview with devs claiming that you will see everyone right from the beginning and, iirc, Thani saying that there are recruitable units post skip.

I've been mulling over this and like what if the flame emperor and/or the death knight join you post timeskip as good guys? Technically they'd be there since the beginning but just weren't usable till way later. And it doesn't even have to be them either, it could be some other characters that we see and interact with early on and just can't use them till timeskip. That'd be a way we could possibly see more mlm options while still adhering to the "meet everyone at the beginning"

2 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

I've been mulling over this and like what if the flame emperor and/or the death knight join you post timeskip as good guys? Technically they'd be there since the beginning but just weren't usable till way later. And it doesn't even have to be them either, it could be some other characters that we see and interact with early on and just can't use them till timeskip. That'd be a way we could possibly see more mlm options while still adhering to the "meet everyone at the beginning"

As long as you also get the choice to execute them if you so please.

And hopefully gain a couple of pairs of boots in the process.

1 minute ago, Humanoid said:

As long as you also get the choice to execute them if you so please.

And hopefully gain a couple of pairs of boots in the process.

As long as they don't have me participate in a wild goose chase they can keep their lives and their boots.

5 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

With how we know of Rodrigue's existence but never got his official character bio and nobody could confirm his playability, I think that there is a possibility with what you said. However, the only thing against this theory is that during all the gameplay about exploring the monastery or choosing who to eat with, we don't see any unknown character portraits. So even if we do have characters that are only available post skip, our interaction with them would be so limited pre skip that we might even forget about them.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they've ever released the whole playable cast way before a new game's launch right? (remakes don't count)

Edited by zuibangde

I really do think there will be recruits post skip. Even Rhea and Sothis might be post skip units, as I don't think we've seen footage of them in battle yet? Maybe they're recruited early into part 2, which would explain why some people already saw that they have an S support with Lady Byleth, and others don't show up until later on.

It would just be very odd for FE to have the whole playable cast introduced so early. I know 3H is experimenting a lot, but getting new recruits just lends itself naturally to these games since it's all about shifting alliances. And why wouldn't the lords rally more support for their cause once they're the rulers of their countries, beyond ex-classmates?

I was looking through the thread and I apologize if I'm asking a question that's already been answered, but I didn't see it. Is it possible to get an S-support with a House Leader when you're not on their path? Because they aren't recruitable, or at least there's been no sign that they are and it wouldn't make much sense that way. The reason that I'm asking is that it wouldn't really make sense for Byleth, male or female, to be able to S-support Edelgard when they aren't on the Black Eagles path. Because that seems like an easy way to end up in a tragic event where you might have to murder your S-support and I can't see IS trying something like that. 

With that in mind, is it possible that the House leaders are all bi and that the image we have of Claude without an S-support is just one where the player was on the Black Eagles path?

4 minutes ago, SimplyUnknown said:

I was looking through the thread and I apologize if I'm asking a question that's already been answered, but I didn't see it. Is it possible to get an S-support with a House Leader when you're not on their path? Because they aren't recruitable, or at least there's been no sign that they are and it wouldn't make much sense that way. The reason that I'm asking is that it wouldn't really make sense for Byleth, male or female, to be able to S-support Edelgard when they aren't on the Black Eagles path. Because that seems like an easy way to end up in a tragic event where you might have to murder your S-support and I can't see IS trying something like that. 

With that in mind, is it possible that the House leaders are all bi and that the image we have of Claude without an S-support is just one where the player was on the Black Eagles path?

No and no. S supports are post timeskip only, and after the timeskip you won't be able to build support with other house leaders (as they'll be enemies).

And the guy looked at the list of supports in the menu, not in a save file, so there should be everything that exist in the game (MAYBE post timeskip exclusive characters are not there or he wasn't allowed to show them, but I doubt it).