FE16 Same-Sex Relationship Discussion

12 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:
  Hide contents

Woah wait what? I see people in the reddit mentioning that Caspar, Hanneman, and Raphael are bi!? Can anyone confirm? Hate to get my hopes up but hearing that Caspar is possible option really makes me happy as much as I'm trying not to get excited about it.

Not true, for now

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Woah wait what? I see people in the reddit mentioning that Caspar, Hanneman, and Raphael are bi!? Can anyone confirm? Hate to get my hopes up but hearing that Caspar is possible option really makes me happy as much as I'm trying not to get excited about it.

Nope, it seems like it's just unused strings for gender. There's been no sign that S supports appear for them, and I know at least Caspar's explicitly refers to Byleth as his wife

Spoiler

Well, this is one of those two steps forward and three steps back scenarios. I swear, if IS doesn't give out more same-sex S-supports in those guaranteed updates, especially for the males, I'm going to be so angry. This really isn't fair at all that there are 3/4 female/female options and only 1 male/male option.

Spoiler

Honestly, I am very happy with the general idea of platonic S-Supports, and I think they should have made more than just three. I’m also relieved that we won’t have to break up Alois and Gilbert’s established families. While the obvious gender disparity is insulting, I’m sorta just “whatever” about the whole thing now.

Also, is there any confirmation that Sothis’s S support is also indeed romantic? Or do we have two platonic S-supports per gender?

1 minute ago, Moonlit Knight said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Honestly, I am very happy with the general idea of platonic S-Supports, and I think they should have made more than just three. I’m also relieved that we won’t have to break up Alois and Gilbert’s established families. While the obvious gender disparity is insulting, I’m sorta just “whatever” about the whole thing now.

Also, is there any confirmation that Sothis’s S support is also indeed romantic? Or do we have two platonic S-supports per gender?

Spoiler

I'm also glad for the platonic S supports, but for so many of the same sex supports to be that way is ridiculous. I went through the datamine and couldn't find any of Sothis's endings, so it's a mystery whether she's platonic or romantic for now

Well that sucks. At least I didn't have the chance to let my hope build up just to be terribly disappointed later. Except I still am cause

Spoiler

M/M now only has 1 option?! Why the hell is that?! And why does W/W have 3? That's just so upsetting.

At least Linhardt got even better looking post timeskip.

Also, apparently a lot of paired endings between characters have some gay subtext but like @firewitch912 I'm also sick of subtext and want explicitness. Tired of having been told thinking a relationship between two same sex characters as romantic is wrong because it's never explicitly stated.

20 hours ago, firewitch912 said:

I've got mixed feelings about it, but I'm also not surprised at all

Reveal hidden contents

In a general sense, I'm disappointed because it means we've lost out on further characterization that could be seen through them aging. In a more gay sense, I'm glad b/c I really like Alois's current design and aging Gilbert anymore would make him look outright elderly, considering he already has grey hairs pre timeskip

Rip me marrying the pope

I know right? Being able to excommunicate people at the drop of a hat would have been awesome.

I'm not opposed to platonic S-supports, but if they exist, surely it makes sense for there to be a whole lot more of them, possibly even covering the entire cast. It doesn't add up.

Spoiler

Welllll, can't say I love this. I'd resigned myself to no paired endings between the students so that at least is a pleasant surprise, but oh boy here I was so sure they'd never do platonic S supports.I can only hope the actually romantic ones are good.

rip marrying the pope, I did want to do that.

Spoiler

I was never going to use the m/m options myself but wow, that's pretty shitty. I'm not against the idea of platonic S ranks but at least make sure you've got a good selection of romantic S ranks first.

Spoiler

On the one hand I'm happy platonic endings are back since some of the best endings in the older games were the ones that didn't result in marriage, but the fact that it leaves M!Byleth with only one gay option is really disappointing. There should've been at least a couple other M/M options if they were going to pull that with Alois and Gilbert. 

47 minutes ago, Moonlit Knight said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

Sothis does not have a paired ending, despite having an S-rank

Spoiler

The thing that really gets me is the question of how the paired endings between the other characters happens. Because I don't think there's been any reveal that S supports magically appear for them. That means that there might be a ranking similar to Chrom and his spouses, and that means you might need to be very careful about who supports whom in order to gain the same sex queer subtext(or text in the case of some f/f ) pairings over the more heterosexual ones, which from my scan through many of the endings for characters, are almost always blatantly romantic.

Platonic love is fine. Not all deep friendships have to turn to sex. And on the hetero side, deep strictly friendships between two people might be needed more.

But of course, FE didn't need platonism, it's nice, better than nothing but hetero, but including LGBTQ+ relationships is even better.

And is anyone really expecting support convos to be patched in later? What explicit evidence has been given that would do that? Why include more writing of that sort? I'd expect that if more writing was added via DLC, it'd be things like the Scrambles from Awakening, not new actual Supports.

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Platonic love is fine. Not all deep friendships have to turn to sex. And on the hetero side, deep strictly friendships between two people might be needed more.

But of course, FE didn't need platonism, it's nice, better than nothing but hetero, but including LGBTQ+ relationships is even better.

And is anyone really expecting support convos to be patched in later? What explicit evidence has been given that would do that? Why include more writing of that sort? I'd expect that if more writing was added via DLC, it'd be things like the Scrambles from Awakening, not new actual Supports.

Of course platonic love and platonic endings are fantastic. But it seems like a slap in the face to only have 3 same sex S supports for M!Byleth, and then to make two of those platonic. And many of the m/m paired endings are ambiguous, allowing for either a queer reading or a just friends reading. On the other hand, Byleth can S support pretty much every single person of the opposite gender, and most of those are going to be romantic. And the m/f pairings between the other characters are almost always explicitly romantic, there's very little platonic possibilities there.

And we don't expect a patch. But that doesn't mean that we can't critique the numerous issues with how IS has handled this and hope that they actually listen to queer people and patch it.

I wonder why with how seemingly popular Niles, Leon and characters in ambiguous mlm relationships (like Ike and Soren) are, why is IS still so seemingly ‘scared’ of adding in more mlm options/paired endings in the game?

7 minutes ago, zuibangde said:

I wonder why with how seemingly popular Niles, Leon and characters in ambiguous mlm relationships (like Ike and Soren) are, why is IS still so seemingly ‘scared’ of adding in more mlm options/paired endings in the game?

Because they're worried about normies hating on it for being a "gay game."

8 minutes ago, zuibangde said:

because gays make guys feel icky or something

It could be a cynical commercial decision (focus grouped perhaps), or it could be an ideological decision from the suits in charge. We'll likely never know.

37 minutes ago, FrostyFireMage said:

because gays make guys feel icky or something

Yes, its actually quite easy. 

Here is how you do it just :

"because (Group) make (other group) feel (something bad)"

Insert blanks based on race, oppression status, psychosis, conspiracy or anything you want.

True quality for thousands of years already, never gets old. Works for religion, political views and even the one Neighbor who's dog always takes a dump on the one place you deem wrong.

4 minutes ago, FrostyFireMage said:

I've read some stuff on Twitter is it true that

Hide contents

Casper and Linhardt can "settle down" together

Spoiler

I'd have to dig it up again, but from when I read it earlier, they get a paired ending, yeah. It's not explicitly romantic, in that there's no mention of the words "romance" or "love," but it definitely felt "spend the rest of our lives together" level to me.

Spoiler

We don't know for sure about Caspar yet, as while there appears to be some other explicitly queer relationships in the game besides with Byleth I've also heard his ending with Linhardt is teasingly non-explicit.

Like Raven and Lucius from Blazing Sword. Or Ike and Soren/Ranulf from the Tellius games. Or like Forsyth and Python in Echoes.