Amiibo Compatibility in Three Houses Confirmed to be Basically Pointless.

Yeah. I fully expected to see the Amiibo do something like in Fates or Echoes, preferably Fates. But nope. Us Amiibo character fans have had our hopes dashed completely. GameXplain showed what they do in a video.

All Amiibo do in Three Houses is give you tea and junk, or if it's a Fire Emblem one, a piece of music. I'd use Ike to unlock Eternal Bond if that's the song that he gets you, and that'll probably be the case given that it's his theme and a pretty iconic piece of Tellius music, but otherwise, I have no interest in Amiibo here if it just gives me stupid crap.

What was IS thinking here? Why would they ever believe that this would be a satisfactory way to use Amiibo after Fates especially? Even if they couldn't afford to create new models and voices and all for them, there still should've been something more than this rubbish. Who wants to pay $16 for tea and a music track? (since for whatever reason, retail prices for Amiibo have risen $3 since they first came out in 2014)

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty sure Amiibo was already explained a week ago.

Here is the problem, it's really hard to balance Amiibo functions, consider some Amiibo are very hard, if not impossible to come by (such as female Corrin, costs over $100 on ebay).

Putting too much content behind Amiibo is practically an impossible paywall. Like when BotW came out, people complained how they couldn't get Zelda ones for the powerful light bow. If they are making paid new characters, I much rather they just do it as DLC, at least most people can reliably getting them

Edited by Timlugia

It is a shame, but it's better than nothing. I kinda wish I had a reason to actually open my Fire Emblem series amiibo (even the Alm and Celica amiibo dungeons weren't enough incentive for me).

But @Timlugia does make a good point. It's hard to strike a balance in function vs rarity. Between the amiibo functions in Codename S.T.E.A.M. and Fates, it's no wonder FE amiibo are so coveted. Fans of other series could even see it as unfair that the FE amiibo got such good functionality while others never got anything quite that good.

Edited by Baron the Shining Blade

it wouldn't have been a problem if they just made DLC characters available for everyone, while giving said DLC chars for free to amiibo owners that used them. but i guess we can't always have nice things.

however, if they will eventually make DLC characters based on previous lords, i'm sure amiibo owners will indeed get mad about it.

getting just a music theme from an amiibo worth 15€ is still a joke though, and a bad one too.

they could have at least added costumes of those amiibos, since i'm pretty sure they could have borrowed some textures models from FE Warriors.

I mean, it's fine? Most people buy amiibo for the collecting aspect, the in-game content is like a bonus. And having full characters or maps would be way too much work on top of everything already in the game and the paid DLC coming down the line.

the only FE amiibo I have is Roy so not getting any content is nothing new to me 😪

honestly FE getting little to none or no Amiibo content isn't really new either, except Fates ig

I’m actually happy because of this. The only amiibo I have are Alm and Celica from the SoV SE. 

I think if they are gonna have characters you need to pay for in game, it should just be dlc instead of forcing people to go out of their way to find extremely rare figures (that barely any, if any at all in Ireland sell) that are now super expensive.

6 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

I think it goes to show that amiibo are becoming less of a priority. No one really gets all that hyped for them anymore and they're kind of an afterthought these days.

It's more to do with Nintendo policy of maintain their collection value by only releasing limited numbers. Amiibo demands are always very high, popular ones are often completely gone in 72 hours (Zelda, Mario, Smash, FE, PM ones). If Nintendo wants to sell more Amiibo with reruns there are certain enough interest.

Also saying people "paid $16 for materials in game" is quite misleading.

Unlike DLC, Amiibo can be used on multiple games, even multiple platforms. Getting items are also their secondary functions.

You are paying for a figurine with bonus items.

I'd respond like Slumber did, but I'm pretty sure that'd be a CoC violation, so I feel obligated to say more.

I'll be honest, while it's kinda nice to play a game using some of the FE protagonists I know and love, I'd prefer if they didn't show up for a change so that Three Houses can be allowed to stand on its own two feet.  I think this is a nice tradeoff.  It'll be quite awesome to see what music the Lucina amiibo I have will give me; if I get Awakening's Conquest, that'd be some awesome nostalgia for the late FE fan within me.

2 minutes ago, Timlugia said:

Also saying people "paid $16 for materials in game" is quite misleading.

Unlike DLC, Amiibo can be used on multiple games, even multiple platforms. Getting items are also their secondary functions.

You are paying for a figurine with bonus items.

Also this^

When you buy, say, an Ike amiibo, you aren't just buying Tellius music in Three Houses; you're also buying a spirit fighter in Echoes, a special unit in Fates, a trainable CPU-controlled fighter in Super Smash Bros, amiibo content for various other games, and a nice figurine you can display somewhere.  Heck, even just the last part alone is enough to get some people to buy it for $16.

1 hour ago, Timlugia said:

Here is the problem, it's really hard to balance Amiibo functions, consider some Amiibo are very hard, if not impossible to come by (such as female Corrin, costs over $100 on ebay).

Putting too much content behind Amiibo is practically an impossible paywall. Like when BotW came out, people complained how they couldn't get Zelda ones for the powerful light bow. If they are making paid new characters, I much rather they just do it as DLC, at least most people can reliably getting them

Yeah, but those of us who already have the Amiibo would feel like we're getting less and less use out of them. I know I am and it sucks. I haven't used Ike for anything since Fates and Codename Steam. Luigi since Smash Wii U. And so on.

Oh, and it is true that Amiibo work across multiple games, but some of those other games still have better uses of Amiibo. And some people with Amiibo don't play one game or another.

I always thought Amiibos were consumer unfriendly. You get a low quality figure and maybe (??) you eventually get your money's worth in extra game content? If they can't even give you something worthwhile in a mainstream Fire Emblem game, then they really don't utilize them well enough. I do feel bad for people who wanted more content, and I'm glad I never bought any myself.

1 hour ago, Fenreir said:

it wouldn't have been a problem if they just made DLC characters available for everyone, while giving said DLC chars for free to amiibo owners that used them. but i guess we can't always have nice things.

Now THIS would be much more consumer friendly. If the content is widely available as DLC (and free if you have the amiibo), then everybody wins. No one gets screwed by limited releases of Amiibo and amiibos owners get actual rewards.

2 hours ago, Timlugia said:

Really? The female Corrin on Amazon costs 35$.

I think the reasons we can’t have something like Fates is because it would be too much effort create data for 10 different characters. At Fates, there was only 4. 

I think another reason why I think Amiibo aren’t that spectacular is because bonuses are very small in most game. In Yoshi and Poochy Wolly World, being able to unlock skins based on Amiibo was a huge boon, but most other games don’t do that. A lack of an Amiibo heavy game also probably comes from Nintendo not wanting outrage from people who dislike Skylanders and Disney Infinity for their figure to life practices. 

Regardless, FE music is great, so I’m looking forward to the tracks. Does anyone what an auxiliary battle is though?

6 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

A lack of an Amiibo heavy game also probably comes from Nintendo not wanting outrage from people who dislike Skylanders and Disney Infinity for their figure to life practices. 

There's also the fact that the one game they did make amiibo heavy, Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival, widely got negative reception.  Granted, I feel part of that was also outrage at them not releasing a proper Animal Crossing game on the Wii U (oh, what a finely aged issue this has become now), but I still feel that it had an effect on Nintendo's perception of amiibo saturation in their games, sort of like how the oversaturation of 3rd party shovelware on the Wii made them less willing to let 3rd parties create games on their next home console, and then how the Wii U's lackluster financial performance made them turn right back around with that policy.

Also yeah, the amiibo I got, the Lucina one, only cost me about $10-$20 (it was so negligible a price that I forgot about it) on Amazon, even though I would've imagined her amiibo would've been more difficult to acquire considering how popular a character she is.  On a similar note, no one should ever buy from scalpers, and $100 is stupidly overpriced for an amiibo; one should not have to shell out the same kind of money that buys you half the DLC in the Sims 4 to purchase a single amiibo, and one should not support the business of consumers ripping other consumers off no matter how badly they want a figurine of Rosalina that sometimes unlocks stuff in games.

27 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

Does anyone what an auxiliary battle is though?

Pretty sure that refers to the extra little battles you use to train units, like the skirmishes in Fates and Awakening.

4 hours ago, Timlugia said:

I also think Nintendo is just giving them less priority in general now that the hype is mostly gone. They don't make as many new ones and they just don't seem to be promoting them very much anymore. Seem to be suffering the same swift decline as all the other toys to life lines. It just doesn't seem to be a very sustainable model Eventually people just stop caring or get sick of constantly buying new ones.

Even Skylanders is slowing down.

Edited by Darkdragoon324

2 hours ago, ZeManaphy said:

Really? The female Corrin on Amazon costs 35$.

I stand for correction, I haven't check them since last year before Smash release. Price probably went down since then from the re-run.

But still need to point out this is very US based price, in some other countries Amiibo were literally impossible to come by.

Edited by Timlugia