Can you choose the strengths and hidden talents of Byleth?

The title says it all really. Most pre-release material shoe Byleth having strengths in swords, brawling and authority while having a hidden talent in faith. I'm curious as to wether we can change those.

I sure hope so, it's the single most important thing I want to know (apart from post timeskip designs), especially because if there's a thing I hate in Three Houses that's gauntlets, they're just dumb and unrealistic in any possible way, I want to never touch them. And Faith as well tbh, not interested in healer Byleth.

I think Swords and Authority will surely be default though.

1 hour ago, timon said:

especially because if there's a thing I hate in Three Houses that's gauntlets, they're just dumb and unrealistic in any possible way, I want to never touch them

I feel the same. I hope I won't lose any important gambits due to making that choice. I'm also a bit worried about class requirements.

I wouldn't call gauntlet useless outside of classes specialized in it : having that brave effect is nothing to scoff at (and I still hold on the theory that brave weapons won't return for this game).

Anyway, the only time it would make sense to choose your strength/weakness would be when you choose your gender, name & birthday. But in this video below, that doesn't happen.

first time meeting Sothis (french)

So either you cannot choose them at all, or it is somehow affected by your birthday (the later would be kind of dumb, though).

Edited by Modirufa6317

1 minute ago, Modirufa6317 said:

I wouldn't call gauntlet useless outside of classes specialized in it : having that brave effect is nothing to scoff at (and I still hold on the theory that brave weapons won't return for this game).

Anyway, the only time it would make sense to choose your strength/weakness would be when you choose your gender, name & birthday. But in this video below, that doesn't happen.

first time meeting Sothis (french)

So either you cannot choose them at all, or it is somhow affected by your birthday (the later would be kind-of dumb, though).

Why don't you think brave weapons will return?

As for choosing strengths and weaknesses, it could be possible that you choose them later. Maybe you pick them when preparing to head off with Jeralt. It doesn't feel that likely, however.

I mean, in the end, Byleth is not a Robin/Corrin type of character. It just happens that you can choose for him to be a male or female.

If this was a custom avatar them yes, we should choose, but he is not so i dont expect it. Would be cool tho.

18 minutes ago, Nio said:

I mean, in the end, Byleth is not a Robin/Corrin type of character. It just happens that you can choose for him to be a male or female.

If this was a custom avatar them yes, we should choose, but he is not so i dont expect it. Would be cool tho.

In a game with this amount of customization it was a very good chance of giving us an almost blank state character to do as we please. We could theoretically build every combination. And yes, we theoretically still can, but not in the same way, with the same amount of choice.

2 minutes ago, timon said:

In a game with this amount of customization it was a very good chance of giving us an almost blank state character to do as we please. We could theoretically build every combination. And yes, we theoretically still can, but not in the same way, with the same amount of choice.

Yeah i know what you mean, but it is also true that we are not building a random character that we determine what he/she is good at. That person is already established and has strengths and weaknesses, just like all the other students.

I do hope we can customize everything, im saying i wont be surprised (and it would make more sense) if we cant.

I believe at the start of the game Sothis asks us questions. Those could relate to what our talents are, but swords would be locked probably since his personal weapon is a sword.Keep in mind that im only guessing this cause a screenshot of Sothis asking "What are you?". I beleive the choices were: demon, ghost and human?

1 hour ago, BastienSoul said:

Why don't you think brave weapons will return?

As for choosing strengths and weaknesses, it could be possible that you choose them later. Maybe you pick them when preparing to head off with Jeralt. It doesn't feel that likely, however.

Brave weapons could potentially be replaced with combat arts, Double Lion and Hunter's Volley served their purpose in SoV.

I'm gonna assume no weapon will have innate brave effects aside from gauntlets to make it unique. Combat arts, I can definitely see coming back. There was almost no reason not to use Double Lion even over the 2 range one, so I hope they balance them here. 

Brave Magic is stupid and should never be a thing ever. Leave Dire Thunder and Gale-spam in the past.

15 minutes ago, X-Naut said:

Brave weapons could potentially be replaced with combat arts, Double Lion and Hunter's Volley served their purpose in SoV.

There can be both. There are both Armorslayers and combat arts effective on Armored units, and the same with Blessed weapons and monster units.

6 minutes ago, Jayvee94 said:

I believe we can customize strengths in addition to the fixed Sword and Authority skills.

The only way we can have customizable hidden talent is through a personality test.

Is this speculation, or is it a fact? If it's the latter, than do you have a video or article supporting it?

Looking at character creation video from France

So the 4 things Sothis asked you were

- Who you are (It seems choosing either ghost or demon will get her angry, not sure any long term effect)

- You name

- Birthday

If strength are modifiable, I would say it's the birthdays. But since there is no reference how it works, it might take awhile before we found out exactly mechanism. For the first play through I will just put my real birthday there

At this point I'd say it's fixed. No reason to hide stats customization in a birthday, especially when previous games made the choices really obvious.

We'll be stuck with holy monk Byleth I guess, oh well, I guess I'll discover how hard it is to master a weapon he doesn't like.

23 minutes ago, timon said:

At this point I'd say it's fixed. No reason to hide stats customization in a birthday, especially when previous games made the choices really obvious.

We'll be stuck with holy monk Byleth I guess, oh well, I guess I'll discover how hard it is to master a weapon he doesn't like.

Can't imagine it'll be much more difficult than any other character. I don't think he has any weaknesses anyway.

19 minutes ago, Timlugia said:

They did it in FE12 though, asking you some question (like what did your parents do) and determine your stats and growth rate.

Yeah but those were still typical questions for the sole purpose of building the character, I can imagine that in an RPG most people would want to put their actual birthday in. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it would be a very weird move considering the number of combinations and the "meaning" of the question.

Also I was more interested in customizing weapon strengths than stats, and those being determined by birthday is even more unlikely.

29 minutes ago, User name said:

Does Byleth have any weaknesses? They have strengths in Swords and Faith, i think but did we saw any weaknesses?

And they start with D+ in swords so you cant change that.

Nope, and it's confirmed that we can't customize him/her.

https://m.ca.ign.com/wikis/fire-emblem-three-houses/Byleth

No weaknesses, strong in Sword, Lance (yup), Bow, Brawling and Authority, hidden talent in Faith. Starts with D+ Sword, D Authority and E+ Brawling.

So he's basically OP lol, also RIP axe Byleth.

Edited by timon

Also rip mage Byleth (though we'll see with his faith).

I'm intrigued by their choice of default skills and proficiencies. Didn't they use similar wording to describe Byleth's name, which we know we can change?