Can you choose the strengths and hidden talents of Byleth?

57 minutes ago, timon said:

Nope, and it's confirmed that we can't customize him/her.

https://m.ca.ign.com/wikis/fire-emblem-three-houses/Byleth

No weaknesses, strong in Sword, Lance (yup), Bow, Brawling and Authority, hidden talent in Faith. Starts with D+ Sword, D Authority and E+ Brawling.

So he's basically OP lol, also RIP axe Byleth.

F*ck sake. Would it really have been too much to give him a strength in reason? I'll take the bow strength though and just try to raise reason as much as possible.

Just now, Namarid said:

F*ck sake. Would it really have been too much to give him a strength in reason? I'll take the bow strength though and just try to raise reason as much as possible.

Faith seems to have a number of offensive spells though, so it's probably better. Healing, utility and offense all in one.

2 minutes ago, Onestep said:

Faith seems to have a number of offensive spells though, so it's probably better. Healing, utility and offense all in one.

I'll guess we'll see what spells he can learn, faith might not be too bad if that's the case

The more I think about it, the recruiting system seems really prefers certain students. Sword users like Petra and Felix shouldn't be too difficult to recruit. But for other weapon types like axes and tomes, you have to go out of your way to make sure that E rank turns into a C-B rank. Just to have 1-2 more students combined with learning movement skills, seems a rather lengthy process to get a person. Which means, by default, whoever you recruit is going to be redundant because Byleth is already better than them at what they're good at. Byleth not being able to choose what he excels at is going to create some gates from unlocking. Grinding sounds lengthy.

18 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

The more I think about it, the recruiting system seems really prefers certain students. Sword users like Petra and Felix shouldn't be too difficult to recruit. But for other weapon types like axes and tomes, you have to go out of your way to make sure that E rank turns into a C-B rank. Just to have 1-2 more students combined with learning movement skills, seems a rather lengthy process to get a person. Which means, by default, whoever you recruit is going to be redundant because Byleth is already better than them at what they're good at. Byleth not being able to choose what he excels at is going to create some gates from unlocking. Grinding sounds lengthy.

I think the recruit mechanic is more about getting that couple characters you really like in another run, just so the player can have some favourites. I doubt it's meant to make you recruit the whole cast in one go or fill the holes in your team, at least early on.

If we consider that it probably takes around a C rank to get someone it still could be useful to get role variety for the later part of the game, you may get up to a C with your Byleth's reason, but that doesn't mean that he's going to be a dedicated mage for the full playthrough, thus recruiting eg. Lysithea makes sense.

Obviously it takes resources, but it rightfully does, after all you're getting more characters, if it didn't cost anything it wouldn't make sense. And I wouldn't worry too much about Byleth's personal strength, a neutral can still grow quite quickly from what we've seen, if he had weaknesses that would be another story (those seem to go up very slowly, at least with instructing).

22 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Yep. STR and Sword-wielders are essentially 'freebies' since Byleth has high physical bases, a high initial sword skill and a unique prf sword. On the other hand, Reason Magic users will be tricky. Faith might be possible, depending on how useful the Hidden Talent is.

On 7/13/2019 at 10:29 AM, timon said:

Nope, and it's confirmed that we can't customize him/her.

https://m.ca.ign.com/wikis/fire-emblem-three-houses/Byleth

No weaknesses, strong in Sword, Lance (yup), Bow, Brawling and Authority, hidden talent in Faith. Starts with D+ Sword, D Authority and E+ Brawling.

So he's basically OP lol, also RIP axe Byleth.

On 7/13/2019 at 11:02 AM, firewitch912 said:

Also rip mage Byleth (though we'll see with his faith).

I'm intrigued by their choice of default skills and proficiencies. Didn't they use similar wording to describe Byleth's name, which we know we can change?

Wait, why? I thought strengths only affected how FAST you gained weapons levels. You can still make an Axe/reason Byleth?? No weakness means it's not at a detriment to you to do anything. Do strengths give like a damage bonus on something I'm not aware of?

2 minutes ago, Kiran_ said:

Wait, why? I thought strengths only affected how FAST you gained weapons levels. You can still make an Axe/reason Byleth?? No weakness means it's not at a detriment to you to do anything. Do strengths give like a damage bonus on something I'm not aware of?

Calm down, buddy. You should be able to class Byleth into anything you want.

You may probably want to stick to Assassin or something in Hard mode though.

50 minutes ago, Onestep said:

Yep. STR and Sword-wielders are essentially 'freebies' since Byleth has high physical bases, a high initial sword skill and a unique prf sword. On the other hand, Reason Magic users will be tricky. Faith might be possible, depending on how useful the Hidden Talent is.

"shrugs" Do we know the specific requirements yet? Doesn't sound too hard to adapt them, with requirements for stats and weapon skills Byleth is good at being proportionally higher.

40 minutes ago, Cysx said:

"shrugs" Do we know the specific requirements yet? Doesn't sound too hard to adapt them, with requirements for stats and weapon skills Byleth is good at being proportionally higher.

We don't know the specific requirements, but some people have also theorized that it may increase each time you recruit someone since there isn't an actual hard limit for how many people you can recruit

43 minutes ago, Cysx said:

Still it is seems like it would be much more work to recruit magic characters with byelth especially if you want multiple ones. I would have expected them to be more balanced in terms of stats since you can't customize them.

5 hours ago, Jayvee94 said:

Calm down, buddy. You should be able to class Byleth into anything you want.

You may probably want to stick to Assassin or something in Hard mode though.

You should read before telling someone to calm down. That's what I literally was asking. Why are other people freaking out about his weapon prf. when you should be able to get him into any class you want since he doesn't have weaknesses. 

I was asking to see if there was a mechanic I wasn't aware of, because people seemed to be saying they can't have 'axe' or 'mage' Byleth when to my knowledge just because he doesn't have prf. in those two weapon types doesn't mean you can't use them/it's incredibly harder to make a Byleth focus on things that aren't his strengths.

Edited by Kiran_

9 minutes ago, Namarid said:

Byleth does not have a strength in bows. Not sure I trust that wiki much considering Lorenz also doesn't have a strength in bows

https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/1152261823435030528?s=20

I suspected there was an error in Byleth's strengths. In the treehouse footage, Byleth only gained 2 WEXP for using a lance, meaning its not a strength either.

It is possible that Byleth unlocks more strengths as the story goes on?

It's weird that there are so many mistakes though, I get that IGN is not exactly the quality standard and that they just wanted to get stuff out asap, but still, it's not that much information, getting wrong 2 skills of the protagonist is weird. Maybe you can unlock something with progress, or maybe the guy writing the wiki is really underpaid.

On 7/19/2019 at 6:35 PM, IzzyFresh said:

I suspected there was an error in Byleth's strengths. In the treehouse footage, Byleth only gained 2 WEXP for using a lance, meaning its not a strength either.

It is possible that Byleth unlocks more strengths as the story goes on?

I like that idea. Wasn't there something mentioned about tutoring for Byleth from other instructors? Maybe those are expensive but give you strengths,