What is actually going on with the Crests?

So Lysithea apparently has the Minor Crest of Charon; the same one that Catherine has; but a gampley preview from Kotaku showed her activating her Major Crest of Gloucester? Lorenz' Crest??? What?

20190713_103124.jpg

tbh I have yet to understand what a crest actually is, as in physically. Is it just holy blood? If yes, the symbols are just representations? Or are they marks of some sort?

And the much discussed "experimentation" is just blood transfusion then?

1 minute ago, timon said:

tbh I have yet to understand what a crest actually is, as in physically. Is it just holy blood? If yes, the symbols are just representations? Or are they marks of some sort?

And the much discussed "experimentation" is just blood transfusion then?

Pretty sure it's like Holy Blood with a unique symbol for each type.

The fact that your profile pic is Hannemann and you replied so quickly to this thread admittedly did crack me up lol.

4 minutes ago, User name said:

Oh let me make a guess about that....(Leak spoiler)

Hide contents

Just because we saw time skip Lysithea....dosen't mean that she is save from geting Kazed, didn't expect that didja?

So

Spoiler

Does she kick the bucket because she's got 2 crests due to the experiments and eventually it takes a toll on her health?

5 minutes ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

So

Reveal hidden contents

Does she kick the bucket because she's got 2 crests due to the experiments and eventually it takes a toll on her health?

i think that...

Spoiler

experiments give her a RNG like ability to triger/generate the efects of other crests

Oh, I thought that crest looked weird associated with Lisythea. Guess I was too sleepy to put two and two together.

It's pretty difficult to say... Lysithea is a mysterious character, her being the rightful Gloucester heir doesn't seem completely impossible(life really hates Lorenz if that's the case).

Edit: She is getting a support from Lorenz in that battle, though, interestingly.

TYFlTHI.jpg

It's really weird to see Kostas with a neutral expression after all this time. He seems so... sad

Edited by Cysx

The screenshot does support the evidence of an effect from co-ordinated attacks.

But if that's the case, then what determine whose crest is chosen? Would it be the highest support rank?

(As a side-note, I find it interesting that despite all the news up until now, there still hasn't been any official informations about how crests work during battle. Not even in-game! It really adds a lot to their mysterious nature...)

Edited by Modirufa6317

10 minutes ago, ArsSanctum said:

...What if that's what Lorenz's crest does.

X% chance of adding 5 damage to anyone targeting an enemy Lorenz is in range of.

The other two houses do have a character who buffs gambits, with Lorenz being the closest equivalent in the Deer with a battalion buffing skill. He might just be the resident gambit/support buffer.

Alternatively, maybe Lysithea's crest just innately mirror-moves other people's..? It seems a little early for serious crest shenanigans, considering this seems to be one of the earliest non-story maps in the game.

31 minutes ago, ArsSanctum said:

...What if that's what Lorenz's crest does.

X% chance of adding 5 damage to anyone targeting an enemy Lorenz is in range of.

Even then, the fact that she gets a major crest effect from it is surprising.

1 minute ago, Cysx said:

Even then, the fact that she gets a major crest effect from it is surprising.

Yeah wasn't trying to downplay the shock, it kind of just occurred to me is all.

Crest of Gloucester could be supportive like that. Others seem to give effects to the user, adding damage or lifesteal (Fraldarius and Flames), boosts to Healing (Mercedes' iirc). Other have been procc'd on screen and done neither so I wonder what those ones do.

So, here are the options as I see them: 

(a) Lysithea's crest allows her to trigger allies' crests, either at random or via coordinated attacks/supports.

(b) Crests can simply be triggered by units without them via coordinated attacks/supports with units who do have them.

(c) Lysithea in fact has two crests, one being the Major Crest of Gloucester? Lorenz's crest, according to pre-release info, is the Minor Crest of Gloucester — not Major. 

(d) (+a or b) Minor Crests can upgrade into Major Crests somehow, which might make sense given the only Majors we knew of were Byleth and Felix. But this is one of the first maps in the game, which seems far too early for any hypothetical crest upgrades. 

The fact that this wasn't shown in famitsu suggests that it's really sooilery. I'm reninded of a certain leak detail.

Edit: If Lysithea has the major crest but Lorenz only has the minor, doesn't that mean that she's ahead of him in the Gloucester line of succession?

Edited by Druplesnubb

1 hour ago, Druplesnubb said:

It's notable though that Edelgard was not confirmed for having dual crests.

Maybe Edelgard's dual crests are a lot more plot relevant than Lysithea's? Or maybe they're present in game but that was part of the list of stuff they couldn't show that Nintendo gave reviewers.

Well, with the previous "precedent" for crests (i.e. holy blood) one's house is more important than one's blood in regards to inheritance, which is likely why Lysithea isn't a Gloucester. And of course, considering that precedent, multiple crests would make quite a lot of sense. Anyway, I can't wait to see what the heck is up with everyone's bloodlines, because something's certainly weird there.

Funny how the Gloucester crest actually is better for Lysithea than the Charon crest as the Gloucester one raises might of magic when it activates while the Charon crest does that with Combat Arts.

I'm really curious to see if Lorenz and Lysithea will actually discuss this in their supports.