GameXplain - Fire Emblem: Three Houses Q&A - 40 of Your Questions Answered!

Byleth talks only during class promotion and victory animations... I really fear for his supports. Curious choice anyway, he's much less of a self-insert than Robin or Corrin, yet he acts much more like one.

Also objective non-variety seems to be confirmed, 8 chapters in (+ paralogues) and just one ojective that wasn't "route enemy/kill boss".

And he kinda confirmed that there won't be late recruitment, every character we'll have comes from the monastery.

5 minutes ago, Timlugia said:

I feel like he's still really early in the game, chapter 8 was like even earlier than we saw in Treehouse. Plus that Nintendo NDA about 10 hours into the game.

Everything here we should mostly know by this point.

Mostly true, but now we have confirmation that there are 10 save slots and that we can’t recruit enemies. 

The questions aren't spoilery from what I could gather from the list of questions asked in the comments section. Just watch out for gameplay footage and it seems that the opening plays at the beginning. Would recommend listening to it as a podcast

All in all nothing knew then what is already confirmed and know is in at least alot of save files, no recruitable enemies and possible to recruit almost anyone except the House Leaders and 2-3 loyal characters I guess.

Edited by Dorothea Joestar Arnold

41 minutes ago, timon said:

And he kinda confirmed that there won't be late recruitment, every character we'll have comes from the monastery.

He’s not even far in, let alone post-skip. There’s no such confirmation from anyone yet. 

8 minutes ago, Lynsanity said:

I love the sound of the Fodlan history segments you get at the start of every month. Rewarding game progression with worldbuilding is always addicting to me.

It really feels like they've injected worldbuilding into so many areas of this game.

24 minutes ago, Disclaimer said:

He’s not even far in, let alone post-skip. There’s no such confirmation from anyone yet. 

There was confirmation from the directors in an interview a while back, they talked about how they used this story as a way to introduce all characters in the beginning so that they all had a fair chance of being liked/popular.

1 hour ago, firewitch912 said:

There was confirmation from the directors in an interview a while back, they talked about how they used this story as a way to introduce all characters in the beginning so that they all had a fair chance of being liked/popular.

I read it, and I'm less than convinced of that interpretation. To me, they're speaking colloquially, likely referring to us meeting all the core cast of characters pre-skip, not literally every one. Remember, it's only recently we've glimpsed characters like Shamir, Jeritza, and Gilbert. Plus, at least one reviewer is saying they couldn't post their post-skip support list because it would show characters who are spoilers. 

The only reviewer who completed the game on one route implied the post-skip was well over half the game. If this truly is one of — if not the — longest Fire Emblems, I can't wrap my head around how having the smallest cast per route would jive with perma-death, which the series' roster sizes are always balanced around. Counting probable recruitable characters, we're at or less than 20 units, assuming the player doesn't optionally recruit out-of-house students (which is apparently difficult anyway). That's substantially fewer than even Awakening's pre-children amount, and only slightly more than one of either Alm or Celica's route casts. 

No, I think there have to be recruitable characters post-skip.

It's optional and irrelevant to the discussion, though. Perma-death exists as a possibility to develop around, and thus having one of the smallest casts in the series for the longest game in the series makes zero logistical sense.

32 minutes ago, Disclaimer said:

It's optional and irrelevant to the discussion, though. Perma-death exists as a possibility to develop around, and thus having one of the smallest casts in the series for the longest game in the series makes zero logistical sense.

The turnwheel isn't optional, permadeath is optional. And his logic is sound, the turnwheel can easily take the place of larger casts as a measure to counteract permadeath. No, that doesn't prove anything, but that's still the truth: /

30 minutes ago, Cysx said:

The turnwheel isn't optional, permadeath is optional. And his logic is sound, the turnwheel can easily take the place of larger casts as a measure to counteract permadeath. No, that doesn't prove anything, but that's still the truth: /

Eh, disagree. They're equally optional if we want to get semantical about it.

Turnwheel/Pulse is, at its core, a quality-of-life measure, not the developer assuming you'll never let anyone die. Otherwise, there would be no death period, and Classic Mode would just be Casual Mode. It has finite uses for a reason, therefore the developer has to balance around the fact that, even if the player is using it, they may exhaust it and subsequently a unit might die for real. 

So I just don't see how the final roster size could be ~20 in a game that's ~80 hours per route, according to Kusakihara. Plus, again, we've only recently discovered several party members, and a reviewer has said their post-skip support list would contain recruitable character spoilers.

10 minutes ago, Disclaimer said:

Eh, disagree. They're equally optional if we want to get semantical about it.

Turnwheel/Pulse is, at its core, a quality-of-life measure, not the developer assuming you'll never let anyone die. Otherwise, there would be no death period, and Classic Mode would just be Casual Mode. It has finite uses for a reason, therefore the developer has to balance around the fact that, even if the player is using it, they may exhaust it and subsequently a unit might die for real. 

So I just don't see how the final roster size could be ~20 in a game that's ~80 hours per route, according to Kusakihara. Plus, again, we've only recently discovered several party members, and a reviewer has said their post-skip support list would contain recruitable character spoilers. 

You could call both optional, but the turnwheel is about as optional as using healing items, which is not really the same. That doesn't really matter though, I guess.

One can think of it as a quality of life feature first and foremost, but do you know for a fact that's how the developers see it? Besides, even on classic with only the base amount - assuming you only use your charges when someone dies -, you can have  three deaths before there's any consequence, that's massive; when was the last time you lost four units on a single map?

I think 20's a little low too, but we are slightly above 30 existing characters total... there may be a few more but I definitely wouldn't expect a dozen or something, and thus that problem wouldn't really get fixed.

Edited by Cysx

5 hours ago, timon said:

Byleth talks only during class promotion and victory animations... I really fear for his supports. Curious choice anyway, he's much less of a self-insert than Robin or Corrin, yet he acts much more like one.

Also objective non-variety seems to be confirmed, 8 chapters in (+ paralogues) and just one ojective that wasn't "route enemy/kill boss".

Worst of both worlds 

My question-

good post monastery recruits? Non Byleth shipping? More than just 20 units? 

10 minutes ago, IEatLasers said:

Oh and how hard are teachers to recruit? Is only Shamir easy?

Most teachers seem to be fairly easy. ATM it looks like Shamir only needs the player to be a certain level to be recruited, but how high a level isn't known.

Edited by Ygg
typo

42 minutes ago, Cysx said:

You could call both optional, but the turnwheel is about as optional as using healing items, which is not really the same. That doesn't really matter though, I guess.

One can think of it as a quality of life feature first and foremost, but do you know for a fact that's how the developers see it? Besides, even on classic with only the base amount - assuming you only use your charges when someone dies -, you can have  three deaths before there's any consequence, that's massive; when was the last time you lost four units on a single map?

I honestly don't know I generally play classic and reset at the first death, hard to know exactly what would happen after that. Also turn resetting doesn't necessarily translate exactly to deaths without it. (Of course as you say that's with limiting the possibilities of the feature)

Has there been a confirmation on how high a level you have to be to recruit Shamir? Because I keep seeing people say she's easy to get but if she were to have something like level 18 or 20 to recruit her it might be hard to do without grinding or having to ignore your other characters in order to funnel some exp onto Byleth.