Need help installing the FE: Awakening Same-Sex Marriages patch/ How to replace romfs.

STRONG AND TOUGH

So I installed homebrew with the hope that I would be able to install UnassumingVenosoar's Same-Sex marriage patch for Awakening. As I have said before, I installed homebrew using the Steeldiver method, and have downloaded the mod onto my computer. Now I already know that applying the mod essentially boils down to replacing the romfs from Awakening with the ones provided with the mod.

But the reason that I am asking about this is because I don't know how to access or extract the romfs from Awakening onto my computer. For people experienced with modding Awakening or those who have already applied this patch, what should I do and what programs do I need to use? All of the tutorials online are focused on installing the patch on Fates, but not Awakening.

• 2 weeks later...

It's the exact same process for Fates as Awakening. You can use a Fates tutorial for this and it will work.

I'm only familiar with HANS, so that's the only process I can walk you through. If you are using HANS, you will need the following three things:

1. Braindump
  2. RomFS Extractor
  3. RomFS Rebuilder

Place the braindump files on your 3DS' SD card, in the 3ds folder that should be on the root of the card. Use braindump to dump your game. Make sure you have at least 2GB of free space on your SD card, and plug in your 3DS, because it's a bit of a slog for it to dump (go make lunch or something). After it's done, shut down your 3DS and take out the card. You'll now have a folder on your card with a name made of up of a 16-digit number string that will be one of the following, depending on region:

NA
00040000000a0500

PAL
000400000009F100

Drag the folder to your desktop (or wherever) and delete the original from your SD card. Inside that folder will be two files: romfs.bin and exefs.bin. At this point, you'll want to use RomFS Extractor and direct it to extract romfs.bin. Once it's done, you will have a new folder named romfs_. This is the folder that contains all the files you need to overwrite.

At this point, drag and drop all of the Gay Awakening files that pertain to your regional version into the _romfs folder. Overwrite everything.

Now, create a folder on the root of your SD card called hans.

Now use RomFS Builder. Select the _romfs folder and click 'Go' to let it run. It will prompt you to save. Save the file in your new hans folder as either 000a0500.romfs (NA) or 0009F100.romfs (PAL) depending on your region. Make sure you write in the extension as well, or it won't save in the proper format.

Put your SD card back into the 3DS. Boot into the Homebrew menu and run HANS.  Navigate down to the NO beside "Romfs -> SD" and press right on the d-pad to change it to YES. Navigate down to OK and press A.

Voilà. You can now play Gay Awakening.

Edited by Reddazrael