Were You Traumatized By The Movie Gremlins As A Kid?

So tonight at work I went through a junk box full of VHS tapes, and as the title might imply, I found a copy of Gremlins in it.

Then I was like, "Yeah, this scared the s#@$ out of me when I was little". I remember for months I was scared of the dark again, scared to look out of the window of the car at nighttime, and I was terrified of being outside after sunset. I even had to get my dad to come to my room to get the movie out of the VHS player and get rid of it for me.

Why did my parents think it was okay to give me this movie when I was 5?

Gremlins and Critters are the classic awkward and rad horror movies from the 80s that every kid watched soon or later.

however, i consider "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial" from Spielberg to be far more creepy. in that movie, the first encounter scene with the boy running in the field always scared the shit out of me as a child.

If I'm pretty sure Gremlins, along with Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, is the reason they introduced PG-13 to the age ratings. Both are movies that aren't gratuitous enough to be rated R, but also don't quite fit into what classifies as a PG movie. I'm sure plenty of kids went through many of the same phobias you did watching Gremlins because its PG rating didn't properly inform parents of the accessibility of the movie's content. There were a lot of weirdly dark kids movies back in the 80's and Gremlins was definitely among them.

I never actually saw it but the first dog I had was named Gizmoe. My mom didn't know the correct spelling and he was there before I was born. And he looked like Gizmo, I guess.

I've only watched the clip where the mom killed most of them.

Why the heck is it a trend to try and get violent/adult content into "family" films? Says the guy that is overjoyed that Fire Emblem has blood and is hoping they go all out with it.

Those movies appealed to my sense of humor when I was younger so not much in the way of freaking me out.

It doesn't help that I already scared by the Dune movie when I was eight.  For anyone who's wondering how that movie could freak out a kid, this is how:

7 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

Why the heck is it a trend to try and get violent/adult content into "family" films? Says the guy that is overjoyed that Fire Emblem has blood and is hoping they go all out with it.

Idk about violence, but film producers will often sneak mild sexual innuendo in so the parents who watch the movie with their kids aren't bored the whole time, and have something only they get. It's been done as far back as the 90s, perhaps the 80s too.

https://www.wowamazing.com/trending/sexual-innuendos-in-disney-movie/

They are mild and non graphic...mostly, but it's definitely not something you'd see in an R rated movie (PG 13 at the most), and if imagery is there it's hidden very carefully so you pretty much have to know it's there and look for it.

Edited by Dragoncat