Chapter 27 is an absolute Slaughter please help :(

Smfthegeek

O M G. What is this chapter??? Everything else has been a breeze but now... this chapter... omg my poor units! I've raised them like a family and now enemies are falling on them like the waves of the ocean... priscilla can't heal everyone at once, and erk and lucious cant hardly heal because they're needed to slaughter the countless knights and generals being thrown at me... not to mention the nomad troopers dancing circles around my cavalry and generals! Someone please help me, I really don't want any deaths. It's just the sheer number of enemies is absolutely ridiculous and I can't do anything but sit and let them rain down on us, because if I move my army forward, the onslaught just gets worse.. please help lol I thought I was so close to finally beating my first GBA Fire Emblem lol

Edited by smfthegeek

You're talking about cog of destiny, right? I think what I did the first time I beat that chapter was I stayed in the corner at first using the bridges as chokepoints, and then slowly moved forward after clearing out a bunch of the enemies. The reinforcements show up when you reach certain areas of the map, so if you don't spread out your units too much you should be alright.

Don't be afraid to bring pre-promoted units either. Pent can help out with healing and fighting and he comes with an A support with Loiuse, and something I like to do in this chapter is have Hawkeye stand on a peak to increase his avoidance and distract a bunch of the enemies.

11 minutes ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

Screenshots of your deployed teams?

Eliwood- Lord

Hector- Great Lord

Lyn-Blade Lord

Dorcas- Warrior

Oswin- General

Erk- Sage

Priscilla- Valkerie

Sain- Great Knight

Marcus- Great Knight

Lucius- Bishop

Hawkeye- Berserker

Legault- Thief

Lousie- Sniper

Pent- Sage

Heath- Wyvern Knight

Edited by smfthegeek

Did you get Harken or Karel? If you got Harken, he's probably a better fighter for you than Dorcas. Oswin may be past his prime at this point and there's the Valkyries to worry about which should make a case for getting Ninian/Nils into the battle to dance for Harken/Pent.

Again, screenshots would help see which of your units would work better for specific sets of enemies (like tanking/fighting the Valkyries). Also, is this on Normal difficulty or hard?

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

You can cut down on the number of reinforcements you encounter.:

27.png

You see those boxes? Each you cross into triggers reinforcements. If you pick to cross just one bridge, you'll only have two sets of reinforcements to deal with, including the fourth box. It's the fourth box that will make Vaida appear with some enemy Wyvern Riders, Eliwood can recruit her.

Technically, if you used fliers to ferry everyone between boxes 1 and 2, you'd only have the Vaida set of reinforcements to fight. But that'd take a while, so I wouldn't go that far.

1 hour ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

Again, screenshots would help see which of your units would work better for specific sets of enemies (like tanking/fighting the Valkyries). Also, is this on Normal difficulty or hard?

Presumably Normal, since she specified she'd never beaten a GBA FE before, which she'd need to do to access Hard (or Hector for that matter). Unless she got a clear file from someone, I guess?

General advice for GBA FE is that 1-2 range is king. Getting people to run into you and die, in controlled numbers, will stop you being overwhelmed - and especially on lower difficulties, your units can probably get the job done even with those weaker weapons. Even so, don't feel shy about breaking out the silvers and big guns, if you've been hoarding - you're close to the end. And you can always trade as a free action with nearby units and put handaxes/javelins/whatever to the top of their inventory, so they'll counter at range through EP.

Don't split your army, send your bulky units up front to take on the enemies attacks and have the healers heal them when they take damage, make a 2 man choke point to block the knights and have a good Lance unit with a few Vulneraries or elixirs take on the myrmidons one at a time. Eliwood should stay in the forest in the bottom right corner until Vaida spawns, either with a lancereaver or a decent axe using unit, vaida can grab Eliwood and just frick off when you get her. Don't rush ahead for this map, and follow the reinforcement guide on @Interdimensional Observer's post so as to not need to deal with a huge amount of reinforcements. Just take the chapter slowly and chokepoint and it'll all be okay. This map and battle before dawn are the hardest chapters the game throws at you so honestly you'll be fine once you beat this map. 

On 7/14/2019 at 8:15 PM, Pengaius said:

Don't split your army, send your bulky units up front to take on the enemies attacks and have the healers heal them when they take damage, make a 2 man choke point to block the knights and have a good Lance unit with a few Vulneraries or elixirs take on the myrmidons one at a time. Eliwood should stay in the forest in the bottom right corner until Vaida spawns, either with a lancereaver or a decent axe using unit, vaida can grab Eliwood and just frick off when you get her. Don't rush ahead for this map, and follow the reinforcement guide on @Interdimensional Observer's post so as to not need to deal with a huge amount of reinforcements. Just take the chapter slowly and chokepoint and it'll all be okay. This map and battle before dawn are the hardest chapters the game throws at you so honestly you'll be fine once you beat this map. 

The balistae are such a pain! anytime i try to approach the group of swordfighters, the balistae slaughter them.

2 hours ago, smfthegeek said:

The balistae are such a pain! anytime i try to approach the group of swordfighters, the balistae slaughter them.

Who are you using and what's their defence stat? Bait and choke the swordfighters, 1 at a time, again, I can't stress enough that you should take the chapter slow. If you really feel that the ballistae are dangerous, use your highest def unit to draw in all the hits, the tile one left and one down from the lowest knight can be used to soak up both of the ballistae's ammo without pulling any swordies, so as to remove the threat they pose. 

20 hours ago, Pengaius said:

Who are you using and what's their defence stat? Bait and choke the swordfighters, 1 at a time, again, I can't stress enough that you should take the chapter slow. If you really feel that the ballistae are dangerous, use your highest def unit to draw in all the hits, the tile one left and one down from the lowest knight can be used to soak up both of the ballistae's ammo without pulling any swordies, so as to remove the threat they pose. 

UPDATE ERK IS A GOD I SENT HIM FORWARD AND HE KILLED EVERYONE... idk how lol I haven't even been giving him all the kills... he's just that good lol thank you for your help, taking it slow worked for me

Edit: I realize I'm late to the party, but use your high-defense units to protect your low-defense units, and stand your ground where the terrain is to your advantage. Those bridges on the east side of the map, and the mountain pass just southeast of the forts in the middle of the map, make excellent chokepoints. (If nothing else, they'll stop the enemy nomad troopers from dancing circles around your forces.)

It is tempting to abandon advantageous terrain for the sake of hunting down a lone enemy who could easily be picked off, but that's the surest way to lose one of your own units.

Edited by Paper Jam

Sending your unit in one of the 3 ways is a good solution, otherwise you'll face a lot of reinforcements. You need to approach this slowly, get some experience on the way, also drain the ballistas if they are a headache for you.

Unfortunately for you, it's not the last chapter like this.Victory or Death will be similar in fashion, and there I actually split my forces to get into all the buildings - if you are not confident that your squad could do it, don't go for it though. It's also a good source of Exp, just so it makes you ready for the final chapter, which will be something different.