There is a 4th Route

https://www.eurogamer.es/articles/fire-emblem-three-houses-julio-avance

In the Spanish Eurogamer article:

A partir de cierto momento las cosas se tuercen, y lo que nos espera después son hasta cuatro ramas de un argumento que no se limita a reciclar escenarios y acontecimientos desde diferentes puntos de vista. Desde Nintendo hablan de líneas argumentales completamente independientes, de escenarios nuevos y a fin de cuentas de hasta cuatro (repito, hay sorpresas en este sentido) juegos en uno, y a tenor de lo visto hasta ahora, de la complejidad de los diálogos, la cantidad de actores en juego y el inmenso trabajo que traspira cada detalle del mundo la sensación es que no bromean en absoluto

Translated to Google

From a certain moment things go wrong, and what awaits us later are up to four branches of an argument that is not limited to recycling scenarios and events from different points of view. From Nintendo they talk about completely independent story lines, new scenarios and finally four (I repeat, there are surprises in this sense) games in one, as seen so far, the complexity of the dialogues, the amount of actors in play and the immense work that breathes every detail of the world the feeling is that they do not joke at all.

Spoiler

Could be the 2nd Black Eagle route according to the leak, a neutral choice, or the genocide path.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is really interesting! I'm curious to know whether the branches he talked about match up with the important decisions that other reviewers have talked about. I'm also interested as to what house the reviewer picked, since the article isn't clear and there aren't original photos to base it on

People mentioned that there are many different important decisions with immediate consequences, but I believe those would be related to certain characters(recruitment or death etc.), and won't really affect the main plot of the game. As for the routes themselves, I can see it going two ways: either it's 3 routes based on the house you picked plus the specific split Thani mentioned in the leak or you get a specific choice in every route to aim for the best/true ending that plays out the same way in all the routes.

as i already said, if this is a black eagles-thing only, this is pretty dumb

why would i even bother playing other routes, if they're not the "correct" ones anyway?

Edited by Yexin

3 minutes ago, Yexin said:

why would i even bother playing other routes, if they're not the "correct" ones anyway? 

Who says the 4th route is the correct one?

Edited by Hauke

2 minutes ago, Yexin said:

I agree. Even if none of the black eagles routes is a true ending, it still shows favoritism towards choosing Edelgard's house. That's why I think if they gonna give a 4th route, I believe it's gonna be accessible from all the houses.

6 minutes ago, Yexin said:

There's no indication that it's the "correct" one, or that either of the other Houses are inferior. 

6 minutes ago, Yexin said:

This may just reflect that Edelgard is in a different position from the other house lords.

IMO, she's in a position to be in a villain role, and their attempts to paint Dmitri as violent or unhinged are nothing more than marketing subterfuge on their part. The sign posting is pretty obvious, right down to her post timeskip appearance (does she look like a hero to you?), and she could have a choice somewhat akin to Conquest Corrin's choice (embrace the empire or reform it), albeit hopefully better written.

If the fourth route does happen to be BE only, I'll probably still play the game BL>GD>BE however I'll save at the presumed ultimate choice for BE and play both routes simultaneously. However I'm hoping that the 4th route is accessible on all routes and that each one has their own violent route and the 4th route is a peaceful route that tries to unite the countries however from different perspectives (with some alternate events). 

Here's a translation of some parts by a Spanish user from another forum (LunaSerena on ResetERA).

Y es que, recogiendo el espíritu de exceso y escala medida a borbotones que la serie ya ensayara en Fates, lo que aquí se propone es, ante todo, una decisión: norte, sur, este; águilas, leones, ciervos; azul, negro, dorado. Son los colores, los distintivos y las procedencias de las tres casas que se dan cita en el monasterio, y también los tres vértices de un nuevo triángulo que recoge las enseñanzas del original. Nadie es mejor que nadie, cada casa tiene ventajas e inconvenientes, no existe una opción correcta. Sea cual sea la facción elegida nos vamos a arrepentir, porque todas van sobradas de carisma y es realmente fácil identificar favoritos aquí y allá, y sobre todo porque hablamos del tipo de decisión que condiciona profundamente todo lo que vendrá después.

And gathering the feeling of excess and scales that the series tried with Fates, what is proposed here is, before anything, a decision: north, south, east, eagles, lions, deers, blue, black, gold. Those are the colors, the emblems, and the origin of the three houses that come together at the monastery, and also the three vertices of a new triangle that gathers the teachings of the original game. No one is better than anyone, each house has advantages and disadvantages, there is no single right choice. Whatever faction we choose, we'll regret it, because all have charisma to spare and its quite easy to choose favorites here and there, and mainly because we're talking about the kind of decision that heavily conditions everything that will come after it.

A partir de cierto momento las cosas se tuercen, y lo que nos espera después son hasta cuatro ramas de un argumento que no se limita a reciclar escenarios y acontecimientos desde diferentes puntos de vista. Desde Nintendo hablan de líneas argumentales completamente independientes, de escenarios nuevos y a fin de cuentas de hasta cuatro (repito, hay sorpresas en este sentido) juegos en uno, y a tenor de lo visto hasta ahora, de la complejidad de los diálogos, la cantidad de actores en juego y el inmenso trabajo que traspira cada detalle del mundo la sensación es que no bromean en absoluto.

Starting from a certain moment, things start twisting and what awaits us after are up to four branches of a story that doesn't limit itself to recycling scenarios and events from different points of view. Nintendo speaks of completely independent stories, new scenarios and up to four games in one (I repeat, there are surprises regarding this), and considering what we've seen until now, of the dialogue's complexity, the amount of characters involved and the immense work reflected in every detail of the world, we feel they are not kidding at all.

26 minutes ago, Zoderos said:

It still shows favoritism towards choosing Edelgard's house.

They showed favoritism since day one, why do people still act like surprised?

- Edelgard was the narrator in the announcement trailer, was only one interacting with Byleth.

- Black Eagle was always the first one being introduced.

- She gets two heroic weapons, one of them has mysterious crest.

- Her weapon was showed in the intro along with Byleth's Sword of Creator

- She was showed fighting Byleth as an reenactment of Nemesis War between Nemesis and Seiros.

- She got Crest of Seiros, second most important crest in the lore beside Fire Emblem itself.

- Official album was named after her, The Maiden of Hresvelg (フレスベルグの少女~風花雪月~)

- She's the one asks you bluntly about love in the commercial.

- She gets more Cipher cards than other lords.

- Somehow like 80% reviewers choose her path as first choice, indicating the game hints you to pick her house.

Edited by Timlugia

10 minutes ago, Timlugia said:

- Edelgard was the narrator in the announcement trailer, was only one interacting with Byleth.

- Black Eagle was always the first one being introduced.

- She gets two heroic weapons, one of them has mysterious crest.

- Her weapon was showed in the intro along with Byleth's Sword of Creator

- She was showed fighting Byleth as an reenactment of Nemesis War between Nemesis and Seiros.

- She got Crest of Seiros, second most important crest in the lore beside Fire Emblem itself.

- Official album was named after her, The Maiden of Hresvelg (フレスベルグの少女~風花雪月~)

- She's the one asks you bluntly about love in the commercial.

- She gets more Cipher cards than other lords.

- Somehow like 80% reviewers choose her path as first choice, indicating the game hints you to pick her house.

When ever their are multiple lords in a game there is always one that takes the spotlight as the main lord. Like Ike in Radiant dawn,  Alm in echoes, and so on.

37 minutes ago, Yexin said:

You're not wrong, buuuuut you're not exactly right either, there's not indication it'll be 'the good one'. I mean, I want this fourth route to be genocide because of that, and because genocide is fun. ...now that's something to quote.

Unless you mean about how much BE is getting a lot of attention, in which case, that's true..

8 minutes ago, Timlugia said:

Now that's true, Eldegard seems to be the holy cow of the game.
Good grief, there's so many jokes that could be made from what I just said.

1 minute ago, SilverArcher said:

When ever their are multiple lords in a game there is always one that takes the spotlight as the main lord. Like Ike in Radiant dawn,  Alm in echoes, and so on.

Except here, Eldegard is literally in our faces more than the others from day one. There's a difference.

2 hours ago, Timlugia said:

I don't think anyone is surprised. Just disappointed.

1 hour ago, SilverArcher said:

Somehow like 80% reviewers choose her path as first choice, indicating the game hints you to pick her house. 

To my understanding, reviewers are only allowed to talk about Black Eagles so of course they'd choose that one.

1 hour ago, SilverArcher said:

That's not a good thing. Those games get criticized for that very reason.

------------------

Anyway, as long as there is no "true ending" I don't mind too greatly what house this 4th route is locked onto. And the reviewer makes it sound like every route is equal to one another with none of them being inferior to one another so for now I'll take their word for it and hope that's true.

Plus, if they were to add a "true ending" it'll probably be through the extra story content from the dlc but I hope that's also not the case.

Edited by NegativeExponents-

dlc does promise more story content so mayhaps the strategy is that edelgard has a neutral and genocide route at launch and once the last dlc wave hits dimitri and claude get a genocide/neutral path of their own. they already had to push the release date once, and its not an uncommon buisness practice in the triple AAA market these days scummy as it is.

or maybe the fourth route is one where they all go and eat icecream after stamping on a dragon gods face or something, idk.

I'm fine with this "fourth path", if it is just a branch within a with a path. A sub-path, a choice that arises from contrast within the themes of the general path.

What do I mean? An example- Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked's 8th Day Chaos Route. On the 6th night, the player already chose to side with Naoya and Kaido over Yuzu, Atsuro, Amane, and Gin and Haru (think of these as picking a Three House). On the 7th Day, the player embraced their future as a demon overlord who opposes God.

At the start of the 8th Day, the player begins the war against YHVH, but has to then decide on a sub-path. Do you harm humans allied with God, or do you refuse to hurt them and only target the angels and their allied mythological beings? Harming humans makes you a selfish overlord punk who just wants to do their own thing against Man and God. Not harming humans makes you their noble liberator from YHVH's tyranny.

Either way, you stay true to being Chaotic. You're less moral fighting humans, but you're intentionally wanting to go against morality, so it isn't inherently worse. The sub-paths are equally valid.

Now a sub-path wherein one sub-path ends up being objectively better, without it just being the same as the first path but better, would be something I would not want. I'll use SMT: Devil Survivor 2 as an example.

Spoiler

Daichi's Route, separate from Yamato's, Ronaldo's and The Anguished One's (the other "Three Houses"), can split into two sub-paths. The first is to kill the god Polaris, liberating humanity from it. The second is to restore things and rewind time to before the apocalypse, without it happening this time. 

If you rewind time without recruiting everyone not the AO, then things might still repeat themselves later, because Polaris still rules over humanity and only grudgingly agreed to your plans. If you did recruit everyone, then the threat of Polaris, for the time being at least, is implied to be greatly diminished. This is a "golden ending", even if Polaris is still looming over everyone.

By contrast, killing Polaris on Daichi's Route ends kinda miserably, since all that remains of the world is a smattering of humans and some of Japan, the rest of the land around the world is gone and turned to water. Nobody can undo that.

Not helping, is the Anguished One's Route. The AO has you kill Polaris like Daichi's Route. But, after killing Polaris, you install the Anguished One as a new god watching over humanity, and this god sincerely loves humanity and wants their existential freedom to be left unrestricted. It isn't shown I think, but the AO restores the entire world, so you've more than a quarter of Japan as living space.

To think that Daichi's Liberation sub-path is better than the Anguished One's, you would have to distrust the Anguished One. Distrust the AO to the point you feel uncomfortable making him a new god over humanity, and would instead rather leave the Earth in severe ruin but without a god looming over it. That is rather difficult, given the AO does relatively little immoral stuff over the course of the entire game. He lets anyone including bad people summon demons via the app, and brainwashed Fumi, and threatened/killed Otome, but that is about it. 

Now I wouldn't have a problem with the sub-split in the Daichi Route split, were it not for the fact that Restorer+ is a Good Ending+ that makes it into a Golden Ending, which undermines the allowance of choice and the idea of gray morality. And, independently of the sub-split, Daichi Liberator is undermined by the Anguished One's Route. Together, this attack on two different flanks makes Daichi Liberator objectively badder than others.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Considering that FE has been really bad for sidelining female lords in favour of their male counterparts in pretty much every game that features both, if one of them has to be the "Main" lord this time around, it had better damn well be Edelgard. Some sort of mixed path or otherwise non-route locked path would be fine, but if this is just another game that gives us a female lord only to have her get shoved aside so that the male lord can be the "real" hero in the end, especially after giving us so much hope that Edelgard will actually be important, I don't know what I'll do.

I am lowkey expecting a classic vn plot were you and your timetraveling dragon loli experience 3 different pacts in order to find a way to stop a tragedy. "Both sides of time are revealed to you" seems to imply time traveling/reality hopping imo(that or from a certain point you alternate between pre and post timeskip chapters.)

19 minutes ago, Ether said:

Considering that FE has been really bad for sidelining female lords in favour of their male counterparts in pretty much every game that features both, if one of them has to be the "Main" lord this time around, it had better damn well be Edelgard.

This. It's absolutely time that we get an actual female main lord. Even if it might be unfortunate for Blue Lions and Golden Deer fans, Edelgard deserves the spotlight. Especially considering she's outnumbered by male lords story-wise. I don't want another SoV/Sacred Stones type of story where she gets shoved into holding the idiot ball just so men can save the day again. 

I'm cautiously excited about this. Well, I'm actually very excited, but I'm trying to remain cautious, just for my own sake. 

I get why people are bummed out about Edelgard favoritism, but like the others have said - if they have to play favorites, then I'm glad they're mixing it up and letting a woman shine. 

I'm kind of surprised that the reviewer is allowed to talk about this, though. It seems to me like the kind of thing that they'd want an embargo on - but this is the first time being in the fandom for a game release, so I'm unfamiliar with their usual policy.