Optimal Class Lines

With what we currently know about Three Houses's classes and characters, I've compiled the following class recommendations:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YfaDvvZUrp2516bCNPiTrlwNgehqWokCe5MSoo_nXrg/edit?usp=sharing

These are intended to be for getting characters to a Master tier class as quickly as possible based on their base Skills (reminder that those are what we normally call Weapon Ranks) and proficiencies in those Skills.  Characters whose base Skills and proficiencies are currently unknown (i.e. Cyril, Flayn, and the teachers) will have optimal classes given for all Skills they might have strengths in.

Most recommendations for Master tier classes are currently unknown, but for now I'm assuming most of them will include whatever weapon types the class gives bonus WEXP for.  Parts of this will be added, changed, or fixed as we learn more information.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We already know Flayn has a strength in Lance and Faith, so for her a Holy Knight seems like a no brainer.

For Linhardt, since Dark Bishop counts as a "unique" class, not an advanced class, I'd argue he should be a Dark Bishop to take advantage of his dual magic strength.

Not every one needs to be in a Master Class at the end though; I've been trying to stress this point in other threads that due to levels being carried over you can have a Paladin stand toe to toe stat wise with a Bow Knight; the only differences being the class skills; the proficiency in Bow rather than Sword; and theoretically class stat caps. Caps may be very high for even low tier classes so if you really wanted you could go back to Noble/Commoner and still have the same stats(of course not optimal due to the lack of Class Skills but still); my point is Master Classes aren't the only classes that should be considered during Endgame.

Edited by HappyHawlucha.

We have absolutely no evidence for lower classes having high stat caps, though. If anything, if it follows the level-maintaining precedent Genealogy set, we're definitely gonna be slamming into our caps if we don't promote, and dearly missing those promotion bonuses. 

6 minutes ago, IzzyFresh said:

We already know Flayn has a strength in Lance and Faith, so for her a Holy Knight seems like a no brainer.

Huh, where did we hear this?

6 minutes ago, IzzyFresh said:

For Linhardt, since Dark Bishop counts as a "unique" class, not an advanced class, I'd argue he should be a Dark Bishop to take advantage of his dual magic strength.

Ooh, you're right.  He and Hubert are like, the only two male magic-oriented characters.

4 minutes ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

Not every one needs to be in a Master Class at the end though; I've been trying to stress this point in other threads that due to levels being carried over you can have a Paladin stand toe to toe stat wise with a Bow Knight; the only difference being the class skills and theoretically class stat caps. Caps may be very high for even low tier classes so if you really wanted you could go back to Noble/Commoner and still have the same stats(of course not optimal due to the lack of Class Skills but still); my point is Master Classes aren't the only classes that should be considered during Endgame.

Can't forget about class mastery and from what I have seen they allow lower tier classes to user higher tier skills.

1 minute ago, 0 Def Cleric said:

We have absolutely no evidence for lower classes having high stat caps, though. If anything, if it follows the level-maintaining precedent Genealogy set, we're definitely gonna be slamming into our caps if we don't promote, and dearly missing those promotion bonuses. 

I was more referring to Advanced Classes and Master Classes being sort of equal; but I was expanding my point to Noble for whatever reason:/

1 minute ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

Not every one needs to be in a Master Class at the end though; I've been trying to stress this point in other threads that due to levels being carried over you can have a Paladin stand toe to toe stat wise with a Bow Knight; the only differences being the class skills; the proficiency in Bow rather than Sword; and theoretically class stat caps. Caps may be very high for even low tier classes so if you really wanted you could go back to Noble/Commoner and still have the same stats(of course not optimal due to the lack of Class Skills but still); my point is Master Classes aren't the only classes that should be considered during Endgame.

I'm kind of hoping you're right, but on the other hand Master Classes require higher weapon levels and probably higher unit level, so they will most likely have higher caps and (more importantly) higher growth rates, and probably better skills.

I'm pretty sure Master Classes are superior to Advanced Classes, everything hints at that. That said, Advanced Classes could be "endgame viable" if we get a limited amount of "master seals". But tbh I doubt it, the game seems very (very) long, by the end of it you're probably touching the roof with every unit.

I'm just going to point out the obvious about Byleth here, make them into a Hero/Swordmaster because sword, 1-2 range Prf sword, and Swordfaire.
I mean he/she could have a unique class too, but it doesn't mean it'll be a good one... Corrin anyone ?

In fact, my reasoning are pretty similar.

Just now, B.Leu said:

I'm just going to point out the obvious about Byleth here, make them into a Hero/Swordmaster because sword, 1-2 range Prf sword, and Swordfaire.
I mean he/she could have a unique class too, but it doesn't mean it'll be a good one... Corrin anyone ?

In fact, my reasoning are pretty similar.

Ah.  Interesting.

I actually recommend Mortal Savant for Claude too and I have a feeling that's going to cause some controversy because of his primary weapon being Bows.

But from what I can tell, in this game you're either going to live or die in terms of long-term usefulness by your ability to gain access to a mount.  It doesn't help that mounted classes practically have a monopoly on WEXP bonuses for Lances, which will probably be the objectively best physical weapon type if Swords are going to continue being underpowered with no good 1-2-Range and Axes are going to continue being heavy and inaccurate.

With this in mind, I feel Claude's weakness in Lances is going to seriously bite him in the rear.

Do we know how much having a weakness in each stat multiplies your exp gain for that stat? If it's not, like, cutting it by half, Claude could still scrape together enough lance rank to get Cav and get the boosted wexp from there.

14 minutes ago, timon said:

I'm kind of hoping you're right, but on the other hand Master Classes require higher weapon levels and probably higher unit level, so they will most likely have higher caps and (more importantly) higher growth rates, and probably better skills.

I'm pretty sure Master Classes are superior to Advanced Classes, everything hints at that. That said, Advanced Classes could be "endgame viable" if we get a limited amount of "master seals". But tbh I doubt it, the game seems very (very) long, by the end of it you're probably touching the roof with every unit.

The higher Master Tier requirements could make up for some slight differences in caps and better Class Skills but we could still get endgame viable advanced classes.

I'm trying to convince myself on this so I know that there's more endgame variety in classes than the Master Tier actually has.

3 minutes ago, 0 Def Cleric said:

Do we know how much having a weakness in each stat multiplies your exp gain for that stat? If it's not, like, cutting it by half, Claude could still scrape together enough lance rank to get Cav and get the boosted wexp from there.

https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/pre-release/skill-levels/

For attacking and instruction it appears to be a difference of 1-2 points.  But that difference could easily build up over time.

I'm trying to convince myself on this so I know that there's more endgame variety in classes than the Master Tier actually has.

The Master Tier class variety is pretty fine. It's the usual amount for any FE that hasn't had branched promotions, pretty much? 

1 minute ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

For attacking and instruction it appears to be a difference of 1-2 points.  But that difference could easily build up over time.

That's fair, but Cav has a really low threshold for it, so with the boost from the class, Claude should be okay. I think in general these are definitely the "optimal" class lines, but they're definitely not going to be the only plausible ones, even on Hard and the difficulty above that, if it exists. 

It's just a bit odd that we've only had infantry mages and then on the final tier we only get a female exclusive infantry mage and you're pretty much forced to learn riding and lances if you're a male mage and want to promote into a Master Class.

Dark Bishop is on the same level as the master classes statwise, most likely. In addition, you have exactly three viable male mage candidates, as opposed to the huge amount of female magic users. Seems reasonable to me. 

8 minutes ago, Aquarius said:

The lack of quantity for master classes seems odd. I wonder if there's still more left to be revealed. 

I'm pretty sure the only Master classes that haven't been revealed yet are whatever unique classes Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude might have.

Anyway, the Skill Levels page also has WEXP needed for the next rank.  It only goes to B+, but I can predict how much further Skill Levels up to SS will need:

• E -> E+: 40 pts
  • E+ -> 😧 60 pts (+20)
  • D -> D+: 80 pts (+20)
  • D+ -> 😄 120 pts (+40)
  • C -> C+: 160 pts (+40)
  • C+ -> B: 220 pts (+60)
  • B -> B+: 280 pts (+60)
  • B+ -> A: 360 pts (+80)
  • A -> A+: 440 pts (+80)
  • A+ -> S: 540 pts (+100)
  • S -> S+: 640 pts (+100)
  • S+ -> SS: 760 pts (+120)

(The stupid emojis should be D and C.)

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

Just now, 0 Def Cleric said:

Dark Bishop is on the same level as the master classes statwise, most likely. In addition, you have exactly three viable male mage candidates, as opposed to the huge amount of female magic users. Seems reasonable to me. 

For a game all about variety and customisability though; I doubt the developers limited the male options for that particular reason; we've seen that anyone has the potential to use magic.

For a game all about variety and customisability though; I doubt the developers limited the male options for that particular reason; we've seen that anyone has the potential to use magic.

Very true. It is a little bit nonsensical, but on the other hand, females can't be Dark Mages at all till master class level, so I think the arbitrary limit is, though annoying, not surprising. Personally, I just hope Gremories have more than 4 Mov.

2 minutes ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

To be honest, this wouldn't be the first nonsensical decision IS has made regarding this game's class balancing.