The Fire Emblem 3 Houses General Questions Thread

How good are the hidden talents that give you a magic weapon? With her ridiculously high dexterity and speed growths I bet Lysithea would make an excellent Swordmaster if it's viable to assume you're using Soulblade every round. Is that something you can expect to do?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, timon said:

I've looked it up for the same reason (except that I was planning on making dark mages out of Byleth and Sylvain as well as Hubert), and apparently (information is still scarce) the only way is taking it from Death Knight, either with steal or kill.

Hide contents

tbh it's beatable the first time you encounter it, even without relying on major luck
you have to whittle him down with gambits first, and then finish him off with something strong like the lance combat art that deals bonus dmg against cavalry

I did it in Hard Classic (blue lions), did some gambits then rallied Dimitri's str and killed him

do keep in mind that he aggroes only when you attack him directly, you can still dammage it through AoE gambits that do not target him but nearby enemies

if you fail to do enough dmg with gambits alone you can try your luck and attack him from the evasion tiles, he usually has 55% hitrate when counterattacking while you're standing there, meaning you have like 70% chances of surviving if he takes 2 hits to kill your unit

25 turns are A LOT, you really are not pressured in that map
also you can buy a battallion which gambit gives +5 movement to allies in a wide area, you can easily close in on the death knight and kill him 1-2 turns before the reinforcements

Are gauntlets locked out of all mage classes? I knew mounted units were locked out, but when I swap my Byleth into the Monk class he can no longer equip gauntlets at all. 

11 minutes ago, NeoAmon said:

Are gauntlets locked out of all mage classes? I knew mounted units were locked out, but when I swap my Byleth into the Monk class he can no longer equip gauntlets at all. 

Ah, so it wasn't just me. They never told us about this, did they?

But I guess it doesn't matter too much : gauntlet have such low might that most mages would struggle to pierce most enemy's defense.

9 hours ago, Silverly said:

What are the other requirements needed to recruit Hilda outside of simply raising your charisma and axe experience? Is there a specific time you have to wait until you’re able to ask?

If you are Blue Lions you can get her right away, if you're Black Eagles

Spoiler

I'm guessing the "other requirements" depends on which choice you take (Church/Empire). You probably have to go with the Church to unlock her? Or maybe she hates religion and you have to go with the Empire, but that sounds weird, so I'd guess Church.

21 minutes ago, Modirufa6317 said:

Ah, so it wasn't just me. They never told us about this, did they?

But I guess it doesn't matter too much : gauntlet have such low might that most mages would struggle to pierce most enemy's defense.

Haha, I was going crazy for a minute cause every article or site always mentions gauntlets don’t work on mounted units, but I haven’t seen anywhere report that an infantry magic class can’t equip them. 

And traditional magic units probably wouldn’t have a use for them, but considering Byleth has an aptitude for brawling and a boon for faith, you’d think utilizing those together throughout his class progression would be doable. 

Really trying to figure out how to build Hilda. She seems to go well in falcon knight, wyvern lord, and great knight. I'm particularly interested in making sure she can use Freikugel well, though it seems it has a low skill requirement, and she will always have a strength in axes. How much does proficiency matter?

To add to it, I'm having a similar problem with Claude, given his final class. In what should he train in the meantime?

Edited by Vitezen

Playing Blue Lions. When do you unlock blacksmith, battalion guild, and some other stuff? I'm on the Garland Moon month, about to take on rebellion from Ashe's adopted dad. 

I know who I want to recruit into my house. What should be Bayleth's class path? I do typically like to play sword classes, but I can switch for a more optimal path.

Charm/Riding/Sword/Speed/Authority/Dexterity

2 hours ago, Arachnofiend said:

How good are the hidden talents that give you a magic weapon? With her ridiculously high dexterity and speed growths I bet Lysithea would make an excellent Swordmaster if it's viable to assume you're using Soulblade every round. Is that something you can expect to do?

While Lysithea does indeed have great Dex, Soulblade works off Res; it's Frozen Lance that works off Dex. orz
Now, with that said...

Soulblade's a Combat Art.
Most Combat Arts only allow for one hit.
Combat Arts are only usable on Player Phase.
Even if you could use them on Enemy Phase, Lysithea probably doesn't like axes in her face.

Really, you should think of Soulblade as another spell -- one that requires getting up close and can only hit once, but highly accurate and thus useful for ensuring someone's finished off.
It's also a 'spell' you can use even as a mage.
'Real' spells, incidentally, are locked out if you're not in a magic-oriented class.
Why that is, I don't know, but I quite like some of Lysithea's spells...

Edited by Technoweirdo

16 minutes ago, Technoweirdo said:

While Lysithea does indeed have great Dex, Soulblade works off Res; it's Frozen Lance that works off Dex. orz
Now, with that said...

Soulblade's a Combat Art.
Most Combat Arts only allow for one hit.
Combat Arts are only usable on Player Phase.
Even if you could use them on Enemy Phase, Lysithea probably doesn't like axes in her face.

Really, you should think of Soulblade as another spell -- one that requires getting up close and can only hit once, but highly accurate and thus useful for ensuring someone's finished off.
It's also a 'spell' you can use even as a mage.
'Real' spells, incidentally, are locked out if you're not in a magic-oriented class.
Why that is, I don't know, but I quite like some of Lysithea's spells...

I was mostly thinking in the context of putting her in a martial class that crits a lot; my bad for blanking on the fact you can't double with a combat art, with that in mind it's hard to justify putting her in something other than a dedicated mage class so she can double with spells.

6 minutes ago, Cp561 said:

What should I do with Dorothea, any suggestions? I'm new to the series in general so I'm a little bit overwhelmed and would love to hear what direction some of you guys decided to go with her

Dorothea's growth rates are fairly balanced all around, with the exception of strength and defense being notably low. With a strength in reason and a budding talent in faith she makes a pretty good caster, so you could go full in on that theme by making her a Gremory. You could also consider making her a Dancer, she has the best charisma other than Edelgard in the Black Eagles so she may end up doing good damage with Gambits (and even if that doesn't work out Dancers don't need to be doing anything on their own to be exceptional units).

Does gaining supports/affection with a character affect them joining your House at all, or is it only how high your skill is in one or both of their two favorite skills?  I've been giving gifts and getting supports with a few other students, but if it's just wasted resources, I'll just use them on my own students.

49 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Does gaining supports/affection with a character affect them joining your House at all, or is it only how high your skill is in one or both of their two favorite skills?  I've been giving gifts and getting supports with a few other students, but if it's just wasted resources, I'll just use them on my own students.

Supports definitely help a ton.

I mentioned this in the recruitment thread but I'll say it here too, Linhardt joined me at B support even though I only had D reason and 8 magic and just last week he was not at all interested in joining my class.

One thing to note though is that it appears your affection doesn't actually help until you reach and see a support conversation. What I mean is that getting up to a C support will help, but all the affection gained between C and B will not help until you actually reach and see the B support. So basically raising affection can be useless if you don't actually have a support with a character.

Are the recommended levels for Byleth or all characters? I'm at the end of chapter 5 and I'm worried I'm underleveled. Followup question, a the optional battles worth it? I've only done one so far and have spent most of my free time alternating between exploring and doing seminars.

Not a question or anything but just something I found interesting and I haven't seen anyone mention it.

You can have a student not in your class support another student who's also not in your class. I found that out on when trying to recruit Linhardt and Caspar since I kept dining with both of them at the same time and they eventually ended up having a support together even though they weren't my students yet. The also had unique dialogue to say to each other during the meal.

Edited by NegativeExponents-

1 hour ago, NegativeExponents- said:

One thing to note though is that it appears your affection doesn't actually help until you reach and see a support conversation. What I mean is that getting up to a C support will help, but all the affection gained between C and B will not help until you actually reach and see the B support. So basically raising affection can be useless if you don't actually have a support with a character.

I'm pretty sure they matter, I tried recruiting Leonie (at C), didn't work. I reloaded, gave her some gifts and it worked, but it still didn't unlock B rank.

I'm in a bit of a quandry. I wanted to make some characters "Muscle Wizards" who use both Gauntlets and Magic, for a fun challenge.

Since only certain classes can use magic at all, I figured I'd have to promote to magic-based classes. I promoted Byleth from Commoner to Monk, and all of a sudden he can no longer equip Gauntlets.

Can anyone confirm if this is the case, or if I just did something wrong here? I'd really hate it if I can't use Gauntlets and Magic together past the Commoner/Noble class. Byleth, Bernadetta, and Hanneman were going to be my Muscle Wizard trio...

Edit: Looks like it was actually asked up above. That really sucks if it's the case... can any later promotions use both together, at least? I want to know if I'm wasting my time or if it'll at least pay off eventually. Maybe the Mortal Savant class can use both, if somebody doesn't mind testing for me?

Spoiler

From what I can tell, Byleth's unique final class can use both magic and gauntlets together, but that doesn't help me with other characters I want to do that with, like Bernadetta and Hanneman.

Edited by Anomalocaris

Quick question- is there any way to have more activity points for battling during free time?

I'm up to the point where paralogues appear on weekends but there are also battle quests, and I only have 1 battle activity point. Professor level is currently C so I have a decent amount of points for the actual monastery stuff, but how do I add more points for the battle menu?

1 hour ago, Anomalocaris said:

I'm in a bit of a quandry. I wanted to make some characters "Muscle Wizards" who use both Gauntlets and Magic, for a fun challenge.

Since only certain classes can use magic at all, I figured I'd have to promote to magic-based classes. I promoted Byleth from Commoner to Monk, and all of a sudden he can no longer equip Gauntlets.

Can anyone confirm if this is the case, or if I just did something wrong here? I'd really hate it if I can't use Gauntlets and Magic together past the Commoner/Noble class. Byleth, Bernadetta, and Hanneman were going to be my Muscle Wizard trio...

Edit: Looks like it was actually asked up above. That really sucks if it's the case... can any later promotions use both together, at least? I want to know if I'm wasting my time or if it'll at least pay off eventually. Maybe the Mortal Savant class can use both, if somebody doesn't mind testing for me?

Reveal hidden contents

From what I can tell, Byleth's unique final class can use both magic and gauntlets together, but that doesn't help me with other characters I want to do that with, like Bernadetta and Hanneman.

What do you mean they can't use gauntlets? You should be able to use it when selected, albeit without bonus. If that's true, then it's a bug.

Edited by Jayvee94

47 minutes ago, mcsilas said:

Quick question- is there any way to have more activity points for battling during free time?

I'm up to the point where paralogues appear on weekends but there are also battle quests, and I only have 1 battle activity point. Professor level is currently C so I have a decent amount of points for the actual monastery stuff, but how do I add more points for the battle menu?

Professor level C+ plus should give you a battle point.

Wish I knew that before since I just finished doing one of two battle quests when I could have just waited a little and done them both at the same time T_T

2 hours ago, timon said:

I'm pretty sure they matter, I tried recruiting Leonie (at C), didn't work. I reloaded, gave her some gifts and it worked, but it still didn't unlock B rank.

Oh never mind then. Its just that for me I haven't seen that happen with anyone but it's good to know that it still counts.

15 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Professor level C+ plus should give you a battle point.

Wish I knew that before since I just finished doing one of two battle quests when I could have just waited a little and done them both at the same time T_T

Darn should really up my professor level faster. Been too caught up using monastery time to learn from teachers to upgrade weapon ranks to recruit other house students 😞