The Fire Emblem 3 Houses General Questions Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Jayvee94 said:

Who is the best user for each Magic Weapon (ie Arrow of Indra)?

Levin Sword - Not really sure. No one really stands out to me here. A few potential options are Edelgard (not recommended as Wyvern Lord), Dorothea (has Thoron, so not necessary), Lysithea, and Marianne (also has Thoron). I don’t think there’s really a best user here. 

Bolt Axe - Annette for sure. Her spell list doesn’t offer anything in particular besides damage, and Wyvern Annette is really good. With Fiendish Blow, she reliably one-shots many enemies even on Maddening at Lv.20. Bolt Axe+ gives a 3 range option, and combining that with Flight and 7-8 Move is pretty nice. Edelgard gets an honorable mention for similar reasons, but her Magic will be lower along with her Hit. 

Arrow of Indra - I’ve seen people hype Marianne as a Falcon Knight with this. It seems like a good Magic flier option even if it’s only available in CF. Potentially good on Lorenz as well for 3 range. 

Magic Bow - I guess you could give it to Hubert or Hanneman for Magic Bow Knight strats. Not very good outside of those two. 

Aura Knuckles - Maybe Byleth, and that’s pushing it. Easily the worst of the Magic weapons. 

10 hours ago, Ingrid Brandl Galatea said:

Is there an alternate way to grab non droppable items from enemies aside of stealing? 

(doing Claude's, paralogue right now) 

I have seen that certain gambits could grab items from monsters, but Idr which ones and if it also applies to human enemies. 

Unfortunately no. Luckily as far as I remember there’s really only 2 maps with stealable stat boosters (Edelgard’s paralogue and Claude’s paralogue). Petra is the best thief but anyone can steal as any class if they mastered it.

47 minutes ago, Escape the Fate said:

Unfortunately no. Luckily as far as I remember there’s really only 2 maps with stealable stat boosters (Edelgard’s paralogue and Claude’s paralogue). Petra is the best thief but anyone can steal as any class if they mastered it.

Ah, that is unfortunate, but thanks anyways! 

I made Petra (as most others) become a myrmidon > swordmaster. 

I had Ignatz with steal, but I could not save him in chapter 13 unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, Lysithea said:

Ah, that is unfortunate, but thanks anyways! 

I made Petra (as most others) become a myrmidon > swordmaster. 

I had Ignatz with steal, but I could not save him in chapter 13 unfortunately. 

Unfortunate, but you can still pull it off if you’ve got a little patience.

Certify her (or whoever you want/can) for Thief and do an aux battle, any will do. When you’re down to the last enemy or 2, have them stand unarmed with no one else in their ranges and let them tank/dodge their attacks, healing when necessary.

Unlike weapon ranks, class mastery goes up whether you can counter or not so you can cheese the mastery for the Steal ability in however many turns it takes. Use the Knowledge Gem to speed it up and you can also do it as an adjutant if they can’t survive long enough.

Edited by Escape the Fate

20 hours ago, Jayvee94 said:

Who is the best user for each Magic Weapon (ie Arrow of Indra)?

Eh, most characters with a decent magic stats can use all of these roughly as well tbh. Anyway, I'd say:

Levin Sword: Assassin Lysithea, since she can reasonably get both fiendish blow and darting blow in a grindless playthrough, and Assassin provides enough speed to keep doubling + safety through shade. I can speak from experience with this one, it is maddening proof, for the most part.

Blutgang: ... it's kinda just bad to be honest because you want to be OHKOing at 1 range with most magic builds, and magic combat arts allow using normal weapons instead. Beast Fang gives cavalry coverage and good crit, so overall it's probably best left on Marianne.

Bolt Axe: It's kind of Annette by default, though GK Edelgard has the advantage of getting magic battalions(Annette has too much trouble entering this class, and fliers only have physical ones). Unlike the Levin Sword, you can't realistically double with this weapon on axefaire classes, so it's just for chip imo.

Crusher: It's all about Dust OHKOs, which are the strongest source of raw magic damage(Dark Spikes against horses aside) in the game until Freikugel Lightning Axe with 37+ Res/Lance of Ruin Frozen Lance with 44+ Dex.
... so Annette.

Arrow of Indra: Same as Bolt Axe but for lances, so a tossup between Hubert and Marianne. One has slightly better magic, the other has Falcon Knight. The latter of which seems like a huge advantage, but again, fliers don't get magic battalions and that's a huge loss of mt later on, so I don't consider them necessarily at the top of the food chain when it comes to magic arts/weapons, even though flight is obviously very useful.

4 hours ago, Jayvee94 said:

Random Question:

If each house will form a band, which instrument would they likely play? (Counting vocals as instrument)

Edelgard: Drums - She may not be at the front, but you can bet that everyone's following her beat.

Hubert: Bass guitar - To aid Lady Edelgard in maintaining the group's rhythm, and further enforce his Hot-Topic style at the same time.

Ferdinand: Trombone - No-one can ignore the presence of a trombone on stage, just as no-one can ignore FERDINAND VON AEGIR. Also, it blends unexpectedly well, just like Ferdy. Of course, he wanted to be lead vocalist.

Linhardt: Light percussion, e.g. tambourine & triangle - "I can't say that I really want to be here, but if I must, this seems like it won't be too much of a bother."

Caspar: Saxophone - Put a pair of sunglasses on his post-timeskip design and tell me he doesn't look like he should be playing a sax.

Bernadetta: Keyboard - Not generally too front-facing a position, so she can tuck herself away in the corner; given her bow proficiency and her hobbies, she should have nimble fingers.

Dorothea: Lead vocals - I mean, she's actually canonically qualified.

Petra: Guitar - She's never held one before, but she's going to practice non-stop and be shredding with the best of 'em in two week's time.

20 hours ago, Radnar said:

Hubert: Bass guitar - To aid Lady Edelgard in maintaining the group's rhythm, and further enforce his Hot-Topic style at the same time.

Does he SLAPP?

What would be the lineup in Silver Snow?

Edited by Jayvee94

Seems like a silly question, but since Black Eagles route splits in the middle, I've use a save file for each route. (I already finished the other routes so I already have NG+)

Just finished Crimson Flower- do any bonus renown stuff from my recent completion carry over the other save file or do I have to restart a whole new game?

So why are there Samurai in Fodlan? The Swordmaster class line generally looks a bit odd but usually there are reasons for this. 

Sacae is FE Mongolia and the one Swordmaster who doesn't hail from there dresses normally. 

Hoshido is literally Japan so of course it has Samurai. 

Isaac and Jehena seem to be a little less more eastern then the other countries on their continent. 

In Tellius the swordmasters all dress normally except for Stefan who's colony is likely a little different then most countries. 

All these places has some reason to have certain units dress up peculiarly but Fodlan kinda doesn't. Despite this and despite Fodlan being kinda racist Edelgard has a legion of Samurai cosplayers when you fight her. 

6 hours ago, mcsilas said:

Seems like a silly question, but since Black Eagles route splits in the middle, I've use a save file for each route. (I already finished the other routes so I already have NG+)

Just finished Crimson Flower- do any bonus renown stuff from my recent completion carry over the other save file or do I have to restart a whole new game?

You’d have to restart to get any benefits from the Crimson Flower clear. 

Do we have to wait until we finish a run through of a route in order to unlock a class mastery with Renown for a unit in the next run? I see that even if a unit masters a class in a current run, it doesn't show up when I try to buy it with Renown.

20 hours ago, Jayvee94 said:

Does he SLAPP?

What would be the lineup in Silver Snow?

I'd say it's not something he'd be naturally inclined towards, but with the addition of the sax and trombone, Edelgard thinks some funkier bass work would be good, so of course he goes for it.

Rather than SS specifically, I went for all the playables associated with the CoS, which led to... a dysfunctional mess. How Seteth and Catherine would play together is beyond me. But without El & Hubie, the only overlap with BE would be two guitarists (Catherine takes the lead, Petra backs her up), and two vocalists (Dorothea and Manuela would happily share the role).

Spoiler

Seteth: Harp - A complex and gentle sound, perfect accompaniment for telling fables and children's stories (as per one of his lost items). He's also the group's songwriter.

Flayn: Tuba - "Oh! It has such a large and delightful sound! Yes, this is the one, Brother!" The image of Flayn holding an instrument as big as her is just perfect, especially with her cheeks puffed out while playing. It might be one of the more unusual inclusions here, but no one wants to argue the matter with Seteth.

Hanneman: Violin - He won't be doing any solos, but he will harmonize well. He'll enjoy playing with precision, and he'll keep his instrument in perfect condition.

Manuela: Lead vocals - Again, actual canonical qualifications.

Gilbert: Recorder - He carved it himself! He's not the greatest, but he'll do his best.

Alois: Drums - He plays with all the gusto of a giant, hairy toddler.

Catherine: Guitar - Another shredder, knee sliding across the stage all day, every day.

Shamir: Bass guitar - The perfect complement to Catherine's lunacy guitar. And she definitely does slap.

Cyril: [Rhea's favorite instrument goes here.] - He didn't want to join at first ("I have work to do!") but then Rhea suggested he should, so he picked her favorite instrument. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Radnar

On 10/23/2019 at 4:33 AM, Jayvee94 said:

Random Question:

If each house will form a band, which instrument would they likely play? (Counting vocals as instrument)

So looking at the Golden Deer;

Claude - Bass Guitar. Everyone thinks he would be lead vocals but he likes to ensure he’s not quite centre stage because SCHEMES. Definitely likes a good solo.

Hilda - As if she would play an instrument, that would involve practice, effort and commitment. No Hilda would insist on being Stage Manager so she can order people around while avoiding any work

Lorenz - Vocals. He’d insist on being front and centre because he is LORENZ HELLMAN GLOUCESTER and NO CLAUDE I WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO SHAME THE BAND WITH YOUR RECKLESS SCHEMES. Plus his warm up would consist solely of ‘mi-mi-mi-mi-mi’

Marianne - Flute, so she can hide and ensure that if something goes wrong it’s not massively detrimental to the band. Plus she basically is a Disney princess so this helps.

Lysithea - Violin because it’s easily the most complicated instrument and she has to prove that she is capable of handling herself and that she is definitely not a child

Ignatz - He’d probably go with Keyboard so he can just lose himself in a sick keyboard solo

Raphael - DRUMS! BECAUSE BIGGER MUSCLES MEANS HITTING THE DRUMS HARDER AND THAT MAKES IT BETTER RIGHT? Bonus points because he would bang a drum with one hand while lifting another with his other hand, because training.

Leonie - You just know Jeralt would be Lear Guitar so she would do the same. Plus she could definitely shred hard.

Edited by Byron4589

Is it known exactly how Stealth works? I remember Shade in PoR was basically useless since it was only a random chance to not get targeted and could not be relied on, but people seem to think more highly of Stealth. Does it always bump the Assassin to the bottom of the priority list for enemy units?

11 minutes ago, Arachnofiend said:

Is it known exactly how Stealth works? I remember Shade in PoR was basically useless since it was only a random chance to not get targeted and could not be relied on, but people seem to think more highly of Stealth. Does it always bump the Assassin to the bottom of the priority list for enemy units?

I believe that is the case, they won't target the assassin unless it's the only option 

Ok, a stupid thing but that it's driving me crazy. In the other games (Awakening, Fates and Echoes) there was a button that you could press and it automatically gave to each unit the best weapons/tools/potions optimizing what you have. Where is this damned button in Three Houses? 

4 hours ago, MaryQueen99 said:

Ok, a stupid thing but that it's driving me crazy. In the other games (Awakening, Fates and Echoes) there was a button that you could press and it automatically gave to each unit the best weapons/tools/potions optimizing what you have. Where is this damned button in Three Houses? 

I wonder if they didn't add it cause of how the game allows most weapons to be used if you have the skill rank

Does anyone know how the heron cup works? I have times where my character I chose with 13 charm after the tutoring still lost. I assume the other two rival house characters had higher charm or so. 

40 minutes ago, Johnzin said:

Does anyone know how the heron cup works? I have times where my character I chose with 13 charm after the tutoring still lost. I assume the other two rival house characters had higher charm or so. 

13 charm is just an average, you typically need higher than that to win, i'd say around 16 or 17 is a safe bet. Any lower and you'd need to save scum most likely

So, how many flying units should I use on on Maddening (no NG+) on each path? Because their use of Battalions is restricted compared to every other kind of unit. Here are the potential Flying units I would use in Maddening:

-Maybe Byleth (Female) as a Falcon Knight (All paths)

-Maybe Ferdinand as a Wyvern Lord (Silver Snow and Crimson Flower)

-Petra as a Wyvern Lord (Silver Snow and Crimson Flower definitely; other paths maybe)

-Maybe Ashe as a Wyvern Lord (Azure Moon; unsure with other paths)

-Maybe Sylvain as a Wyvern Lord (All paths because I’ll be playing Female Byleth all other paths early)

-Ingrid as a Falcon Knight (Azure Moon; likely in other paths, too)

-Claude (Verdant Wind only. Eventually becomes a flying unit by default with his own flying battalion. Free space.)

-Hilda as a Wyvern Lord (Verdant Wind; unlikely on other paths)

-Maybe Leonie as a Falcon Knight (Verdant Wind; will recruit on other paths late)

-Seteth as a Wyvern Lord (Will use on all paths available. Should be able to start using Cichol Wyvern Co. earlier than anyone else.)

-Cyril as a Wyvern Lord (Will use on all paths available.)

So, on each path:

Azure Moon: 3 fliers (Maybe 8 fliers)

Verdant Wind: 4 fliers (Maybe 9)

Crimson Flower: 1 fliers (Maybe 6)

Silver Snow: 3 (maybe 8 fliers)

Edited by Azure, Roundabouted Out

18 hours ago, Azure, Roundabouted Out said:

So, how many flying units should I use on on Maddening (no NG+) on each path? Because their use of Battalions is restricted compared to every other kind of unit. Here are the potential Flying units I would use in Maddening:

-Maybe Byleth (Female) as a Falcon Knight (All paths)

-Maybe Ferdinand as a Wyvern Lord (Silver Snow and Crimson Flower)

-Petra as a Wyvern Lord (Silver Snow and Crimson Flower definitely; other paths maybe)

-Maybe Ashe as a Wyvern Lord (Azure Moon; unsure with other paths)

-Maybe Sylvain as a Wyvern Lord (All paths because I’ll be playing Female Byleth all other paths early)

-Ingrid as a Falcon Knight (Azure Moon; likely in other paths, too)

-Claude (Verdant Wind only. Eventually becomes a flying unit by default with his own flying battalion. Free space.)

-Hilda as a Wyvern Lord (Verdant Wind; unlikely on other paths)

-Maybe Leonie as a Falcon Knight (Verdant Wind; will recruit on other paths late)

-Seteth as a Wyvern Lord (Will use on all paths available. Should be able to start using Cichol Wyvern Co. earlier than anyone else.)

-Cyril as a Wyvern Lord (Will use on all paths available.)

So, on each path:

Azure Moon: 3 fliers (Maybe 8 fliers)

Verdant Wind: 4 fliers (Maybe 9)

Crimson Flower: 1 fliers (Maybe 6)

Silver Snow: 3 (maybe 8 fliers)

I have only completed BL and CF. Ch 17 SS. Maddening no NG+. I cross recruited Caspar for BL, no one (even said no to Lys) in CF, and Lys & Leonie for SS for the paralogues. THis is from my experience and it has went really well so far. And able to do a lot of 1 turning on BL and SS with the flyers/warp/stride. the "maybe 8/9 flyers" seem a little too much since you do need space for healer, dancer, maybe BK / warper and the rest would just be adjutants or deployed for paralogues.

I kept Byleth as EO, the shoes of wind and S/S+ rank swords with Wo Dao+ have been really good. I have used F!Byleth in flyer for Hard Mode before but I find it easier to just have units that are geared towards flying better. But I play as M!Byleth. 

BL: Ingrid FK, WL Cyril, WL Seteth, WL Sylvain for 4 total. You really need dodge tanking + retribution for final map of this run

CF: WL Edel, WL Petra, WL Ferdie for total 3.  It was a struggle, cause i deploy also Alois and Hanneman to fill up slots as rally bots

SS: WL: Seteth, WL Petra, WL Ferdie total of 3

My potential list for GD

Personal Claude, EO Byleth, WL Setheth, WL Hilda, WL Cyril

I think Leonie is great as a BK rather than flyer. I was thinking E+ flying and get the darting blow. 

Edited by Johnzin