The Fire Emblem 3 Houses General Questions Thread

1 hour ago, Johnzin said:

I have only completed BL and CF. Ch 17 SS. Maddening no NG+. I cross recruited Caspar for BL, no one (even said no to Lys) in CF, and Lys & Leonie for SS for the paralogues. THis is from my experience and it has went really well so far. And able to do a lot of 1 turning on BL and SS with the flyers/warp/stride. the "maybe 8/9 flyers" seem a little too much since you do need space for healer, dancer, maybe BK / warper and the rest would just be adjutants or deployed for paralogues.

I kept Byleth as EO, the shoes of wind and S/S+ rank swords with Wo Dao+ have been really good. I have used F!Byleth in flyer for Hard Mode before but I find it easier to just have units that are geared towards flying better. But I play as M!Byleth. 

BL: Ingrid FK, WL Cyril, WL Seteth, WL Sylvain for 4 total. You really need dodge tanking + retribution for final map of this run

CF: WL Edel, WL Petra for total 2. It was a struggle, cause i deploy also Alois and Hanneman to fill up slots as rally bots

SS: WL: Seteth, WL Petra, WL Ferdie total of 3

My potential list for GD

Personal Claude, EO Byleth, WL Setheth, WL Hilda, WL Cyril

I think Leonie is great as a BK rather than flyer. I was thinking E+ flying and get the darting blow. 

Ok, thank you. I did think that Battalion Wrath + Battalion Vantage + Retribution Great Lord Dimitri could work, too. Especially if he has the Scythe of Sariel or a Killer Lance+ equipped.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Azure, Roundabouted Out said:

Ok, thank you. I did think that Battalion Wrath + Battalion Vantage + Retribution Great Lord Dimitri could work, too. Especially if he has the Scythe of Sariel or a Killer Lance+ equipped.

Yeah, based on peoples posts on how successful it was for that, I had some issues with it. Since it may rely on some RNG blessing to not be hit from Edel every turn. It was low %, 20 - 30 at full HP for Dimitri personal, but each chip hurts the battalion too. I personally found it easier to alert stance + and killer + sylv/ingrid & retribution for dodge tanking and 1rounding. theres reinforcements that come out when you enter the top floor that cannot be blocked. several bolting mages/3 range dark knights and brawlers.

8 minutes ago, Azure, Roundabouted Out said:

Also, does anyone know how many flier battalions you get in each route that are C and above? Is anything below that viable?

BL: Cichol (A), Galatea (B), Kingdom Wyvern (C), so that's 3 for C and above. 2 Serios Peg/1 Kingdom Peg (D) and 3 below C. 

BE - SS/CF: Cichol (A), BE Peg (A), Empire Elite Wyvern (B), Empire Wyvern (C) for 4 total above. 1 Series/Empire (D) so 2 below C. 

Does anyone know the differences between physical and magical accuracy checks yet, beyond that the latter factors Luck into the base hit rate?  Also, do magic weapons follow the former or the latter formula?  For example, would using a Levin Sword against an enemy unit standing in a thicket bypass the terrain's avoid bonus the way regular magic spells seem to?

13 hours ago, EdeaCreamer said:

Does anyone know the differences between physical and magical accuracy checks yet, beyond that the latter factors Luck into the base hit rate?  Also, do magic weapons follow the former or the latter formula?  For example, would using a Levin Sword against an enemy unit standing in a thicket bypass the terrain's avoid bonus the way regular magic spells seem to?

Physical hit: Dex + Weapon hit + Skills + Linked Attack bonus + Battalion bonus

Magic hit: (Dex+Luk)/2 + Weapon hit + Skills + Linked Attack bonus + Battalion bonus

Physical Avoid: AS + Skills + Linked Attack bonus + Battalion bonus + Terrain bonus

Magical Avoid: (Spd+Luk)/2 + Skills + Linked Attack bonus + Battalion bonus

Note that yes, that is correct about magic avoid using Spd and not AS. Weird but how it works. There's possibly other things that can increase hit or avoid that I've forgotten, but IIRC that's everything which is unique to physical or magical hit/avoid.

Edited by Tables

19 hours ago, Azure, Roundabouted Out said:

Also, does anyone know how many flier battalions you get in each route that are C and above? Is anything below that viable?

the only ones i bother with is Ashes and Dust (from Claude/Golden Deer) and "Line of Lances" from Black Eagles (which hands down is the only reason why i play black eagles). i think you get 1 per route of the line of lances.. you do get lures and reversals but i don't like them as much those are all C. 

So I just started my Maddening playthrough with the Blue Lions. Any suggestions for paths to take the Lions down that are good for endgame? I know my plan with Byleth, Ingrid, Annette, and Mercedes but the others would be helpful. I know I want to keep Dimitri in his canon endgame class I'm just wondering the right path to take him down and the others are up in the air a bit.

Just now, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

So I just started my Maddening playthrough with the Blue Lions. Any suggestions for paths to take the Lions down that are good for endgame? I know my plan with Byleth, Ingrid, Annette, and Mercedes but the others would be helpful. I know I want to keep Dimitri in his canon endgame class I'm just wondering the right path to take him down and the others are up in the air a bit.

You can get Battalion Wrath and Battalion Vantage for Dimitri so he can destroy mages on enemy phase with Retribution and a Killer weapon.

Dedue can probably do well as just a Fortress Knight, actually. You just need Stride/Rescue/Warp to help him get around early game. His usefulness wavers late-game anyway, since mages are a plenty there.

That is all I have for right now.

On 10/29/2019 at 5:15 PM, Johnzin said:

Yeah, based on peoples posts on how successful it was for that, I had some issues with it. Since it may rely on some RNG blessing to not be hit from Edel every turn. It was low %, 20 - 30 at full HP for Dimitri personal, but each chip hurts the battalion too. I personally found it easier to alert stance + and killer + sylv/ingrid & retribution for dodge tanking and 1rounding. theres reinforcements that come out when you enter the top floor that cannot be blocked. several bolting mages/3 range dark knights and brawlers.

Are those reinforcements unblockable on Maddening? Granted I may have removed a trigger by using Retribution to knock out Myson and the slitherers on Turn 1. Dont know what the thresholds are for Maddening but you need either a unit with high enough defense like Dedue (the only ones who can attack you at the edge of Myson’s range are physical IIRC or someone with high enough avoid to dodge tank the attacks after being reduced to 1 HP.

5 hours ago, Escape the Fate said:

Are those reinforcements unblockable on Maddening? Granted I may have removed a trigger by using Retribution to knock out Myson and the slitherers on Turn 1. Dont know what the thresholds are for Maddening but you need either a unit with high enough defense like Dedue (the only ones who can attack you at the edge of Myson’s range are physical IIRC or someone with high enough avoid to dodge tank the attacks after being reduced to 1 HP.

Yeah, i tried blocking the reinforcement that comes from the stairs on the left and right corner but it seems to always go through my units and place themselves wherever there is open space. 

You can kill the long range dark magic without triggering a physical unit to move. There is one space above where the asssasin can hit and below where the middle room can reach.

Here's a list for reference as to which guy drops what (auxillary battles that give ore also drop these)

• Umbral Steel - Demonic Beasts (all types), Dragons
  • Wootz Steel - Wolves
  • Mythril - Birds, Golems
  • Agarthum - Giant Crawlers, Titanus

Smithing Stone and Black-Sand Steel are buyable from merchant (ch. 5); Arcane Crystal is buyable from dark merchant (ch. 15).

May be missing a few but these covers the main types.

10 minutes ago, Flores Salicis said:

The bird monsters.  Also the golem ones, like the ones in Rhea's paralogue.

Alright cool I just found a birdy.

1 minute ago, Fire Flower said:

Here's a list for reference as to which guy drops what (auxillary battles that give ore also drop these)

• Wootz Steel - Wolves

Smithing Stone and Black-Sand Steel are buyable from merchant (ch. 5); Arcane Crystal is buyable from dark merchant (ch. 15).

Yeah I knew about Umbral Steel and Wootz Steel but I was unsure whom dropped mythril. I remember reading Golems dropped them but I just wanted to make sure.

17 minutes ago, Fire Flower said:

• Wootz Steel - Wolves

Only one I can think of missing is the venomstones, which those demonic beasts that do the poison attacks can drop.  But I really don't know who is forging venin weapons...

On 10/30/2019 at 1:06 PM, Tables said:

Physical hit: Dex + Weapon hit + Skills + Linked Attack bonus + Battalion bonus

Magic hit: (Dex+Luk)/2 + Weapon hit + Skills + Linked Attack bonus + Battalion bonus

Physical Avoid: AS + Skills + Linked Attack bonus + Battalion bonus + Terrain bonus

Magical Avoid: (Spd+Luk)/2 + Skills + Linked Attack bonus + Battalion bonus

Note that yes, that is correct about magic avoid using Spd and not AS. Weird but how it works. There's possibly other things that can increase hit or avoid that I've forgotten, but IIRC that's everything which is unique to physical or magical hit/avoid.

Alright, thanks.  I was seeing some  'just use a Levin Sword/Bolt Axe with (magic-inclined character), their Reason/attack spells are pointless' and just looking for how their accuracy/evasion differed if at all (looks like they don't).

(I really hope this question makes sense...)

I've seen people able to buy multiple S Supports with Renown in a single NG+ playthrough because they reloaded the final battle of their last playthrough to choose another husbando/ waifu, which suggests that all your supports are thrown into a single "completed" pile for all subsequent playthroughs. Are Class/ Skill Masteries treated the same way? (I ask because I just completed a Maddening NG run, and woul like to inherit the stats I gained there to my main save if I ever play that again.)

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, DefyingFates said:

(I really hope this question makes sense...)

I've seen people able to buy multiple S Supports with Renown in a single NG+ playthrough because they reloaded the final battle of their last playthrough to choose another husbando/ waifu, which suggests that all your supports are thrown into a single "completed" pile for all subsequent playthroughs. Are Class/ Skill Masteries treated the same way? (I ask because I just completed a Maddening NG run, and woul like to inherit the stats I gained there to my main save if I ever play that again.)

Thanks in advance!

If you mean can you use renown to purchase previous class masteries, yes you can. You can also purchase weapon ranks that you achieved, though in my NG+ run I noticed that it didn't carry over all previous skills from all my runs, just the most recent that I copied off of. Others might have noticed something different so if it was just a bug in my game I'm certain someone will mention 🙂

I will say I don't think you can apply these retroactively? So if you had another playthrough going before you finished your maddening run, I don't think those bonuses will work on the other save file. Sorry if this didn't answer your question, I can phrase things weird sometimes lol.

As far as I'm aware, all the NG+ items are contained to 1 save file, and you have to finish any runs for it to count.

1: If you start a game, get some supports, but restart the file without finishing that run, you won't have those particular supports for purchase.

2: If you have two separate NG+ saves, and start and complete a new run on one of them, the other file won't magically gain what you got on the first one.

There is a trick to purchasing multiple S ranks. If you get enough support points past A rank with someone you can't marry as your current gender, their S rank will be available for purchase as the gender they can marry on your next run (I bought Hubert/Ferdinand/Caspar/Claude/Seteth's S ranks without actually marrying any of them). I believe this doesn't work for the bisexual characters, so Edelgard/Dorothea/Linhardt/Mercedes/Alois/Gilbert/Rhea/Sothis you have to actually marry.

1 hour ago, Sid Starkiller said:

As far as I'm aware, all the NG+ items are contained to 1 save file, and you have to finish any runs for it to count.

1: If you start a game, get some supports, but restart the file without finishing that run, you won't have those particular supports for purchase.

2: If you have two separate NG+ saves, and start and complete a new run on one of them, the other file won't magically gain what you got on the first one.

There is a trick to purchasing multiple S ranks. If you get enough support points past A rank with someone you can't marry as your current gender, their S rank will be available for purchase as the gender they can marry on your next run (I bought Hubert/Ferdinand/Caspar/Claude/Seteth's S ranks without actually marrying any of them). I believe this doesn't work for the bisexual characters, so Edelgard/Dorothea/Linhardt/Mercedes/Alois/Gilbert/Rhea/Sothis you have to actually marry.

Once you do, you can purchase it for the other gender Byleth, so you don't need to marry them twice.

2 hours ago, Flying Shogi said:

Played all 3 routes but I hear that there's a route where you can side with Edelgard on the BE route. How do I unlock that option?

Unlock both parts of Edelgard's C-support as early as possible. Then, on Chapter 11, you must choose "Explore" on one of the free days and speak to Edelgard in the monastery; make sure to go with her to Enbarr. Once you do so, you unlock the option to side with Edelgard after completing Chapter 11's mission. Declining to go with her will lock you out of this option.

I recommend doing this on the final (third) free day of that month; if you do so earlier, you will miss an entire lecture day + free day.

Edited by Fire Flower