The Fire Emblem 3 Houses General Questions Thread

On 1/3/2020 at 11:27 PM, Shadow Mir said:

Speaking of Ashe, if you want the Shoes of the Wind (aka Boots) and are leading the Black Eagles, you'll have no choice but to recruit him as the other character his paralogue revolves around (Catherine) cannot be recruited, at least until right before the timeskip, if at all.

Catherine is perfectly recruitable, and from early on (unless road related shenanigans). What are you on about?

On 1/4/2020 at 11:31 PM, Glennstavos said:

Sometimes I'll look at a relic and notice it's full durability and think "I know I've used this once or twice for damage". Is there some auto regeneration on these weapons I don't know about, or am I just going crazy? With divine pulses it can be hard to keep your memory straight with what you used and why.

They do fully resplenish during the timeskip, so that might be the reason?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, salinea said:

Catherine is perfectly recruitable, and from early on (unless road related shenanigans). What are you on about?

You can't recruit her or Cyril in CF, which the game assumes your on if you choose Black Eagles and won't be recruitable until after you made your choice.

4 minutes ago, Deathcon said:

You can't recruit her or Cyril in CF, which the game assumes your on if you choose Black Eagles and won't be recruitable until after you made your choice.

But JamesLove01 said they were doing a BL road.

@Silver-Haired Maiden, @Shadow Mir, @Dark Holy Elf

I wish I had gotten your messages before a weekend of game play. I am still pretty early in (about to do the battle for the Field of the Eagle and Lion). I have already snagged Catherine (because it was easy), Dorothea (I thought from her interactions she would be the next Olivia) and Shamir (again, because it was easy). Have been working on Ignatz (because I like his art), Lysithea and Marianne (because I read elsewhere she is valuable). I definitely will start trying to get Lorenz and hope I should be able to snag him. I hear it is not best to recruit too many people, and that is a difference from past FE titles. But, it does seem like fun. I am also convinced I am not using some people to the best of their ability, but I think that is more a game play experience I enjoy. I asked about absolutely terrible characters so I could avoid those, but if I have to learn that putting Dimitri on a horse was a bad call and then reteaching him other skills is necessary, I think it is part of the fun.

As a quick side question for people who have done multiple playthroughs - does interest in your house vary each time or will the same people basically be interested in you each time? For example, Ignatz has been interested the whole time. Would that change or is he always easy to pick up?

5 minutes ago, jameslove001 said:

I wish I had gotten your messages before a weekend of game play. I am still pretty early in (about to do the battle for the Field of the Eagle and Lion). I have already snagged Catherine (because it was easy), Dorothea (I thought from her interactions she would be the next Olivia) and Shamir (again, because it was easy). Have been working on Ignatz (because I like his art), Lysithea and Marianne (because I read elsewhere she is valuable). I definitely will start trying to get Lorenz and hope I should be able to snag him. I hear it is not best to recruit too many people, and that is a difference from past FE titles. But, it does seem like fun. I am also convinced I am not using some people to the best of their ability, but I think that is more a game play experience I enjoy. I asked about absolutely terrible characters so I could avoid those, but if I have to learn that putting Dimitri on a horse was a bad call and then reteaching him other skills is necessary, I think it is part of the fun.

As a quick side question for people who have done multiple playthroughs - does interest in your house vary each time or will the same people basically be interested in you each time? For example, Ignatz has been interested the whole time. Would that change or is he always easy to pick up?

Ignatz is an easy get (he needs authority and dex? i believe?)
there are a few units who are hard to get. 

Ferdinand (wants armour) so you have to go out of your way to get it and you can't have a B rank with him until after time skip so you'll need to get that C+. (same goes with Caspar and Brawling).  but for the most part unless you bypass magic (Lorenz/Lysithea/Annette want high grades in it). you should nab most people relatively easy. Oh Hilda is tough. she wants 30 charm and a high axe proficiency. 

I find (and i have my team through multiple playthroughs)  grounder and other maps post time skip have more gravitas to it. 

1 hour ago, salinea said:

On 1/4/2020 at 4:31 PM, Glennstavos said:

The Black Eagle path has a branching storyline. You cannot recruit Catherine and Cyril unless you

Spoiler

do NOT side with Edelgard after the chapter 11 battle.

1 hour ago, jameslove001 said:

Like stated before, the only students that are particularly hard to get are Caspar and Ferdinand, who have their B supports locked until after the time skip. Ferdinand especially requires heavy armour, which only Alois and Gilbert teach via faculty training, and they're unavailable in chapter 10. Also, Hilda for the same reason as Catherine and Cyril if you're playing with the Black Eagles.

Edited by Shadow Mir

I just started a NG+ BL run. Does anyone know if visiting the tomb to get Sothis Shield locks you out of Dimitri's support conversation?
In the bug tracking thread it is mentioned as "unconfirmed".

Where would a good place to post a PMU be? I remember these used to be a thing when I was lurking on this site years ago, but I haven't seen a single one for Three Houses yet. Is that just not a thing anymore? Or is there a specific sub forum for it that I haven't found?

So I'm about to finish a Maddening run and am considering eventually doing the Black Eagles route.  Is there any way to recruit Hilda that has been found?  I know, I've read all the stuff that says you can't.  BUT, this honestly might be a deal breaker for me, she's probably my favorite character, and I've gotten her to S+ in Axes and Flying, and she has Hit+20, Darting Blow, and Death Blow.  Needless to say, I put a lot of effort in developing her and I want her to be usable.

44 minutes ago, Xenovia said:

So I'm about to finish a Maddening run and am considering eventually doing the Black Eagles route.  Is there any way to recruit Hilda that has been found?  I know, I've read all the stuff that says you can't.  BUT, this honestly might be a deal breaker for me, she's probably my favorite character, and I've gotten her to S+ in Axes and Flying, and she has Hit+20, Darting Blow, and Death Blow.  Needless to say, I put a lot of effort in developing her and I want her to be usable.

If by Black Eagles run you mean Silver Snow then she is recruitable only in the very last pre timeskip chapter after 11. She is unusable in CF.

Edited by Geenoble

2 hours ago, Shepherd said:

Does fiendish blow work if you use a weapon that does magical damage, like the magic bow or Blutgang? What about combat arts that do magical damage, like frozen lance? 

I can say for sure Fiendish blow stacks with magic weapons. Magic combat arts I haven't specifically tested but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't. It says it gives 6 magic and Frozen Lance and the like use your magic stat.

1. As a general rule of thumb, how much money should be kept in store when buying equipment?
  2. Is there a place to buy bait and seeds? I've missed a few fishing events because I used it up early on to increase professor levels, and I don't know if there is a specific location where you can get more.
  3. When a character uses gauntlets, do they still get the bonus from shields, or is them putting it on their back more than just a visual effect?

5 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

Is there a place to buy bait and seeds? I've missed a few fishing events because I used it up early on to increase professor levels, and I don't know if there is a specific location where you can get more.

Yes. There's an early sidequest that will attract merchants to the monastery who will sell both. You'll find them in the marketplace.

5 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

When a character uses gauntlets, do they still get the bonus from shields, or is them putting it on their back more than just a visual effect?

They still get the bonus.

I don't know how to answer your first question.

Just now, Elephantus said:

I don't know how to answer your first question.

As in, what's a good amount of money to have left over to prevent overspending when buying weapons and the like?

Thanks for the answers to the rest of the questions.

4 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

As in, what's a good amount of money to have left over to prevent overspending when buying weapons and the like?

That's the thing, I.. can't answer that because I don't ever worry about this kind of stuff. I'm the kind of player who will spend whatever they have whenever they want to. If I find I need cash there's always ways to get more, like selling stuff or doing auxiliary battles.

9 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

A thousand is probably the lowest I would go, if only to replenish battalions. It's also good to have money on hand for repairing/forging weapons. 

35 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:
  2. Is there a place to buy bait and seeds? I've missed a few fishing events because I used it up early on to increase professor levels, and I don't know if there is a specific location where you can get more.

In chapter 5, you'll receive a quest from an NPC when exploring the monastery, and it's a low level auxilliary battle. You have infinite time to complete the quest, but it's best done early. The merchants appear next to other shops in the south portion of the monastery. Their stock for a lot of their items refills just once a month. If you want the most bait possible, remember to buy up what they have at some point of each month. Bait is cheap, seeds can be kind of pricey and aren't limited so don't feel compelled to stock up on seeds until you need them.

9 hours ago, Shepherd said:

Does fiendish blow work if you use a weapon that does magical damage, like the magic bow or Blutgang? What about combat arts that do magical damage, like frozen lance? 

I once tested to confirm that magic combat arts take advantage of fiendish blow, and magic weapons should as well.

Something I forgot to ask last time, but does the birth month of Byleth affect any base stats or growth rates or anything like that, or is it simply when Byleths birthday is? I picked Guardian month because it sounded like it would give Byleth a defense boost, but I don't know if it actually affected anything.

On 1/10/2020 at 6:25 PM, Glennstavos said:

A thousand is probably the lowest I would go, if only to replenish battalions. It's also good to have money on hand for repairing/forging weapons. 

In chapter 5, you'll receive a quest from an NPC when exploring the monastery, and it's a low level auxilliary battle. You have infinite time to complete the quest, but it's best done early. The merchants appear next to other shops in the south portion of the monastery. Their stock for a lot of their items refills just once a month. If you want the most bait possible, remember to buy up what they have at some point of each month. Bait is cheap, seeds can be kind of pricey and aren't limited so don't feel compelled to stock up on seeds until you need them.

Thank you.

8 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

Something I forgot to ask last time, but does the birth month of Byleth affect any base stats or growth rates or anything like that, or is it simply when Byleths birthday is? I picked Guardian month because it sounded like it would give Byleth a defense boost, but I don't know if it actually affected anything.

It does not. The only thing it affects is when you get an equippable charm-boosting item (which changes name based on route).

9 minutes ago, jameslove001 said:

I feel like I am missing something. I had my student win the dancing competition, but they cannot use the skill yet. Did I miss a step or do they have to upgrade a class to use the skill?

You'll have to reclass said student to the Dancer class.

Does renown spent on Saint statues carry over from game to game, or is it a better idea to save up renown for New Game +?

On 1/13/2020 at 7:03 AM, Azure, Roundabouted Out said:

It does not. The only thing it affects is when you get an equippable charm-boosting item (which changes name based on route).

Thank you

12 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

Does renown spent on Saint statues carry over from game to game, or is it a better idea to save up renown for New Game +?

If you select NG+ then the saint statues will carry over the invested renown from the save file you select.

What form, exactly, does Lonato's rebellion take? When we fight him, his knights, along with Gaspard commoners, are fighting to defend him from execution or capture. But what did he do to bring things to this point?

We know he is described as raising an army, and the Knights of Seiros are sent to defeat him. But what, exactly, is he doing? Has he attacked members of the Central Church? Or overtaken property of the Central Church? Was he supposed to pay a tax to the Central Church, and refused? Or has he just been distributing anti-Rhea literature?

Any insight on this point would be helpful. How morally justified the Church is in their conduct suppressing the rebellion, depends in large part on what form that rebellion took to begin with. Thank you!

On 1/15/2020 at 1:31 AM, SpiceMan said:

If you select NG+ then the saint statues will carry over the invested renown from the save file you select.

I see. Thank you.