The Fire Emblem 3 Houses General Questions Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question. Are defiants worth using? They unlock from the master classes meaning that they are hard to get and that makes me wonder if they are actually worth the trouble of getting and using. What's the point of staying in low Hp and endangering your units like that? 

6 minutes ago, SuperNova125 said:

I have a question. Are defiants worth using? They unlock from the master classes meaning that they are hard to get and that makes me wonder if they are actually worth the trouble of getting and using. What's the point of staying in low Hp and endangering your units like that? 

In a word: No. Also, Defiant Strength unlocks from Hero, which is an advanced class. Except it's kinda pointless in the face of Assassin and Swordmaster, and it's gender locked.

Edited by Shadow Mir

3 hours ago, SuperNova125 said:

They can be very worthwhile if you have the right other skills to go with them. As long as you can avoid taking any more damage after activating, they can provide a huge boost to your unit's combat. 

Case in point.

Edited by LoneRecon400

4 hours ago, SuperNova125 said:

That's... a question that's too subjective to get a definitive answer in a questions thread like this. As others have expressed, you can make those skills work for you, by combining them with other skills and support gambits. But apart from specialized builds, they generally won't be activating during "normal play".

22 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Are the Ashen Wolves' paralogues pre-timeskip or post-timeskip?

Pre-timeskip.

And a question of my own: was Fallen Star (Failnaught's combat art) nerfed, or am I losing my mind? If so when was it nerfed? As part of the Cindered Shadows patch?

Do we know if children of the same intermediate family can have the same Crest? For example, let's say Child X was born with a Minor Crest of Dominic, could Child Y (born after Child X) also have the Minor Crest of Dominic or are they prevented from getting it? 

Where can I find a link of the latest text dump regarding Lesson Plans like Ferdinand's "Not to be Outdone", Leonie's "Just like Jeralt", Raphael's "Hulking Hero", etc.

Can anyone verify that Anna's Paralogue is available in Non-CF routes Chapter 12?

Edited by Jayvee94

56 minutes ago, blaerionvonhraesvelgr said:

Does anyone have some great builds to put Dimitri through for a NG+ Maddening run? I know about the Battalion Vantage and Battalion Wrath combination, but are there any others that have been really successful?

You could try Bow Knight Dimitri. It’s probably the second-best option for Dimitri since it gives him a lot of range and movement to utilize with his high offensive stats. 

What are the requirements for getting into the Officers Academy? Can two kids of the same family get in in the same year? (For example, a 17 year old and a 19 year old of the same family.)

48 minutes ago, MagicCanonBalls said:

Also is it possible to lose the dancer contest?

In a word: Yes. Even if you have the recommended charm, you can still lose (I think there's a threshold you need to pass to be guaranteed to win).

On 2/28/2020 at 9:10 PM, AyraXLex said:

Someone answered me on reddit: they DO carry over.

Yep! But the Wayseer and Library are unusable until post-timeskip.

On 3/5/2020 at 8:43 AM, Jayvee94 said:

Where can I find a link of the latest text dump regarding Lesson Plans like Ferdinand's "Not to be Outdone", Leonie's "Just like Jeralt", Raphael's "Hulking Hero", etc.

Can anyone verify that Anna's Paralogue is available in Non-CF routes Chapter 12?

I think someone was working on a list last month but don't know what became of it. There are similar lists elsewhere too (Reddit or GameFAQs).

Also I can confirm the latter, it popped up as a pre-skip Paralogue for me in GD (whereas it's a post-skip one in CF).

On 3/7/2020 at 2:47 PM, Bk1234 said:

What are the requirements for getting into the Officers Academy? Can two kids of the same family get in in the same year? (For example, a 17 year old and a 19 year old of the same family.)

You need a lot of money and to pass an entrance exam (as Dorothea did). If you're in the Alliance you also need to pay your local noble for a recommendation to get in (according to Leonie). You can also get a scholarship to study at the Academy if you did really well in another institute (as Annette did in the Fhirdiad School of Sorcery). There don't seem to be any bans on who can get in.

Huh. I just realised I used an example from each House there, so I suppose it's worth noting that the Ashen Wolves are "honourary" students even if they don't attend Classes or anything, though that doesn't really count 😛 Have I missed anything, anyone?

---

Speaking of the Ashen Wolves, how do the new four Classes stack up against the originals? Have any of them dethroned/ joined the likes of Bow Knight and Wyvern Lord as the best of the best? Thanks in advance!

16 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Speaking of the Ashen Wolves, how do the new four Classes stack up against the originals? Have any of them dethroned/ joined the likes of Bow Knight and Wyvern Lord as the best of the best? Thanks in advance!

I ran a bolting mage on dark flier with Darting Blow, Fiendish Blow, Reason lv5, weight -5, and Tomefaire. Proceeded to one round a few bosses in the later chapters after 17 on Azure Moon. They were able to hit over 70 (I'm rounding down since I can't remember the number) prior to factoring in Resilience. With a warper, dance of the goddess, and stride I only had to cover half the field and shot from a distance. I'd say Dark Flier is pretty OP. But there are a few other things to my set up I'm leaving out. Over all, I'd say not able to over throw but definitely you want to add one to your team to help delete enemies. Hit and run and if you give that flier Thrysus then all the better. Constance ran to the end with 51 mag (including me giving her like two spirit dusts and one premium magic herbs). My albino Loli ran over 54 mag with just one spirit dust consumed. Sadly she doesn't have anything long range so i had to get her close to delete bosses. It was fun playing with DF. I've yet to run a dedicated Valkyrie. But from how I saw Hapi perform, I'd say for a horseback mage it beats or feels better than Gremory. One extra move and more range is better than x2 magic uses. At least now the mage can fight back against archers and snipers making Warlocks mastered ability Bowbreaker more useful if you don't give that said mage a range staff. I didn't compare the base stats given by the class but I think it was better than dark Knight.

I always used Grappler for males leveling up between 20 to 30 since it give core stats for melee fighters (Hp, Str, Dex, and spd) which was the best out of adv classes but had a tough time for female melee people other than using Paladin. Now I'm using War Cleric since it's basically a slightly re-speced Grappler available to them. Hilda had way more HP and Str than usual by the end of one of my runs and her Dex wasn't RNG butt f**ked. I dunno about endgame staying in the class but Trickster and War Monk/Cleric give good growth rates as an option for mage people to level up as. I used Assassin to level up some peeps who sorely needed Spd and Dex but now Trickster also gives some luck and Res making it useful for mages (since luck is part of their aim formula). I'm happy these classes give me more ideas and ways to optimize my people. But I can only see using DF for fighting past lv 30 for some mages. Hope my feedback helps or gives others idea of how to use them. 

So, Cindered Shadows is the first time I've ever used an Armored Unit in this game (not counting Glibert because I've always turned him into a Wyvern Rider), and it certainly left a good first impression. Edelgard was soaking up hits from the Assassins on these maps almost effortlessly and did around 20 damage in retaliation with a Iron Sword. In most of my Hard Classic, a majority of the characters I've used pretty much had no tanking potential in enemy phase unless they relied on dodge tanking, so seeing a character effortlessly take out Assassins was a pleasant surprise.

Do trained Armor knights normally have this kind of tanking potential in enemy phase, or was this an exception due to Edelgard being a Royal?

4 hours ago, FoxyGrandpa said:

Do trained Armor knights normally have this kind of tanking potential in enemy phase, or was this an exception due to Edelgard being a Royal?

Fortress Knights can take a beating with the right set up. They have a class base of 27 Defense, so when combined with a +8 Defense from a good defensive battalion and a Silver Shield for an additional 4, that can lead them to having nearly 40 Defense without a single level up. That's enough to take 0 damage from enemies in Chapter 13.

Issue with the class is that all they're good for is taking damage, and even then they're not great for that. Magic absolutely shreds them, Poison Strike from Archers still applies even if they take no damage from them, and Gambits really soften them up for other enemies to finish them off. Not to mention any unit is capable of taking hits with the Impregenable Wall Gambit. 

Edited by LoneRecon400

On 3/9/2020 at 11:40 AM, FoxyGrandpa said:

Like stated, Fortress Knights are great at taking physical damage. At least if you're not on Maddening, where enemy attack stats eventually get so high they take a lot of damage in spite of their high defense, to say nothing of them being hit hard twice. Or Poison Strike. Or maybe I'm way off.

3 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Like stated, Fortress Knights are great at taking physical damage. At least if you're not on Maddening, where enemy attack stats eventually get so high they take a lot of damage in spite of their high defense, to say nothing of them being hit hard twice. Or Poison Strike. Or maybe I'm way off.

yeah, getting hit twice for 0*2 dmg is really terrible

if anything, armor dudes are more useful on maddening BECAUSE there are enemies which WILL (always) double you, unless you're a speed blessed unit who was always fed speed boosters

only axe weilding enemies (or mages obviously) are capable of penetrating armors defenses, any other enemy will probably just bounce off, including thief/assassins, which many find troublesome to deal with

if you want to play in a chill way (ie you don't care about finishing chapters as fast as possible and don't mind turtling a bit), armors are great

1 hour ago, AxelVDP said:

yeah, getting hit twice for 0*2 dmg is really terrible

if anything, armor dudes are more useful on maddening BECAUSE there are enemies which WILL (always) double you, unless you're a speed blessed unit who was always fed speed boosters

only axe weilding enemies (or mages obviously) are capable of penetrating armors defenses, any other enemy will probably just bounce off, including thief/assassins, which many find troublesome to deal with

if you want to play in a chill way (ie you don't care about finishing chapters as fast as possible and don't mind turtling a bit), armors are great

Try using Gilbert on AM Chapter 13 Maddening. He loses more than half his health getting attacked once by an enemy Silver Bow Sniper (10 + 10 + 12) = 32 / 60. @Shadow Mir's point, that enemy attack tends to outpace playable unit's Resilience, is a valid one. Obviously, there are ways to alleviate this (Shields, Defense-boosting Battalions), but said tools are also available to non-Armors, who are less likely to get doubled (and, thereby, more survivable). I will concede, though - given a Lance and Swordbreaker, Fortress Knights can perform respectably against enemy Swordmasters and Assassins (who are doubling practically everyone anyway).