The Fire Emblem 3 Houses General Questions Thread

5 hours ago, Silent Mercenary said:

Oh, that turns down the underflow theory. However, it seems like you use Hanneman quite a bit. Faculty gain around 45% extra support points from things like gifts/lost items, faculty training, and instructing them in lessons. There's also a point gained for deploying, so it's looking likely that you finished up the 1001 support points indirectly.

I see, this explains it. Hanneman is one of few instructors that can teach Reason both pre-timeskip and post-timeskip, and I trained Byleth in Reason a lot. I would question why Manuela's S-support didn't unlock, but maybe that's because Byleth has a boon in Faith, as well as Faith being easier to get mastery for overall.

So, I take it that my new female S-supports, the ones I can buy from NG+ but never unlocked, are the females that have reached 1001+ points with (while playing as FByleth)? This would be useful in trying to unlock as many S-supports as I can. Is it faster/more efficient to play as the opposite gender and rack up support points (i.e. playing as FByleth and reaching the 1001 point threshold with all of the females) to get their S-supports?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, Tragonight said:

I see, this explains it. Hanneman is one of few instructors that can teach Reason both pre-timeskip and post-timeskip, and I trained Byleth in Reason a lot. I would question why Manuela's S-support didn't unlock, but maybe that's because Byleth has a boon in Faith, as well as Faith being easier to get mastery for overall.

So, I take it that my new female S-supports, the ones I can buy from NG+ but never unlocked, are the females that have reached 1001+ points with (while playing as FByleth)? This would be useful in trying to unlock as many S-supports as I can. Is it faster/more efficient to play as the opposite gender and rack up support points (i.e. playing as FByleth and reaching the 1001 point threshold with all of the females) to get their S-supports?

Yeah, faculty training gives out support points, specially if you get Great or Perfect (the latter seems locked to Byleth's strengths and budding talent, and seems likeliest when Byleth is behind in skill levels compared to their teacher).

Yes, outside of the S supports you've chosen on previous files, the only supports that go up to 1001 are ones Byleth can't S support in that file (same-gender units outside of the 5 they can S support). There's no in-game check outside not noticing hearts when battling together or seeing the top 3 supports Byleth has, if you are sure a character below theirs/not shown also capped (supports are shown and selected for endings in support log order when there's ties: lords, BE, BL, GD, Church, AW). It is quite tedious to reach 1001 points in battle (I'm doing that at the moment), try to do most of the support building in the monastery, specially with gifts if they're faculty/knights.

I have a thread here, with some source links at the top, where I'm trying to figure out most of the support point gains. I'll try to fix and test it in the summer when I can ask for help. For now, there's lots of question marks, but it can give you a general idea of the point ranges and which actions may be best for support building (battle SP are very slow for Byleth). 

On 4/29/2020 at 1:36 PM, haarhaarhaar said:

No they remain in their inventory fully repaired, but obviously minus any weapon uses they spend in the battle you recruit them in - you have to wait to recruit them back before you get those weapons/items back

Don't they have their own weapons anyway during their tenure as enemies (Ashe has a Killer Bow that is dropped, while Lorenz has a Silver Lance that isn't dropped when he's defeated)?

Anyway, is there any rhyme or reason for Hubert having Paragon as an enemy in chapter 12? Because Paragon is only good for the player, and he's not even any higher a level than most of the other enemies (which it WOULD explain).

Also, what Arcana do the Crests symbolize? I've seen several sources that discuss this, but some sources conflict. All I can peg are Flames = The World, Gautier = Death, and The Beast = The Devil,

25 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Don't they have their own weapons anyway during their tenure as enemies (Ashe has a Killer Bow that is dropped, while Lorenz has a Silver Lance that isn't dropped when he's defeated)?

I haven't faced Lorenz as an enemy post-timeskip yet, and I coincidentally gave Ashe a Killer Bow for Chapter 12 anyway, so I can't confirm that you can get a Killer Bow independently of whatever you give him pre-timeskip when you recruit him back. I do remember, however, that I only had the one Killer Bow in my inventory pre-timeskip, which I gave to Ashe (VW), and I didn't have any Killer Bows in the convoy post-timeskip to give to Claude for Chapter 13, so you definitely don't get back whatever weapons you give them unless you recruit (they show up in the character's inventory when you face them as an enemy so you can confirm).

Okay, so I've been looking at the fishing guide and there's a bit of confusion on purple fish shadows. Initially I thought it was only related to the quest where you catch a Fodlandy early on in Part 2. And this was after my first playthrough where I got a Fodlandy off the amiibo gazebo and didn't even fish as a result.

Only apparently not! I managed to get a purple shadow while trying to fish for a Zanado messenger. I'm kind of curious if there's more information found on that kind of thing since.

I'm also curious as to how people are getting characters to the highest weapon ranks, as I've been a bit limited there sadly.

56 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I'm also curious as to how people are getting characters to the highest weapon ranks, as I've been a bit limited there sadly.

Mostly NG+ that lets you buy back your weapon rank. Otherwise place the goal for that weapon rank as the only one and only use that weapon type. With plenty of training you might get there, though it's generally not worth it.

1 minute ago, whase said:

Mostly NG+ that lets you buy back your weapon rank. Otherwise place the goal for that weapon rank as the only one and only use that weapon type. With plenty of training you might get there, though it's generally not worth it.

I suspected that would be the case.

Ah well.

On 5/8/2020 at 6:54 PM, Icelerate said:

Where does Edelgard say that she intends to hand over power prior to her ending? 

From what I have seen from the script. There is no mention of her abdicating the throne prior to some of the CF endings. For the endings where she does after an undefined time after, with a self-appointed successor. 

Hello everyone. Does anyone know if the chapter openings where the narrator explains the significant church lore for each month (during part 1) are compiled anywhere? I'm talking about the animated drawing bits in the beginning of the chapters that resemble real church murals. I always thought those were brilliantly done and reminded me of the murals found in some catholic churches that are open for tours where you'd also read/listen to a description of what the murals depicted. Anyway, was hoping to find images of those 'murals' from the game (the completed version at the end of them being colored in) along with the text of the narration explaining them but haven't found them anywhere.

Edit: They don't seem to be in the game's extras either unless I've missed them.

Edited by Owns

2 hours ago, Owns said:

Hello everyone. Does anyone know if the chapter openings where the narrator explains the significant church lore for each month (during part 1) are compiled anywhere? I'm talking about the animated drawing bits in the beginning of the chapters that resemble real church murals. I always thought those were brilliantly done and reminded me of the murals found in some catholic churches that are open for tours where you'd also read/listen to a description of what the murals depicted. Anyway, was hoping to find images of those 'murals' from the game (the completed version at the end of them being colored in) along with the text of the narration explaining them but haven't found them anywhere.

Edit: They don't seem to be in the game's extras either unless I've missed them.

I found them in Medium. Here's the Seasons of Warfare calendar and the ending paintings. Can't find the medieval painting from Cindered Shadows in high quality however.

Edited by Silent Mercenary

1 hour ago, Silent Mercenary said:

I found them in Medium. Here's the Seasons of Warfare calendar and the ending paintings. Can't find the medieval painting from Cindered Shadows in high quality however.

Great links. I really enjoyed that Medium article. Thanks for this. As soon as realized they weren't included in the extras I thought they might be in a limited edition package, of course. Wish I'd known about the Seasons of Warfare edition earlier, it's $300 now on Amazon! Not going out of my way to do it, but I'll try to see if I can get a more systematic capture of all the murals during my current and next play throughs, along with the ecphrasis (new word I learned from the Medium article lol).

Are Horseslayers super-effective against Great Knights?  Not able to check at the moment; I can't remember if they're only considered Armored units in 3H or if they're still hybrid like the rest of the series.

18 hours ago, EdeaCreamer said:

Are Horseslayers super-effective against Great Knights?  Not able to check at the moment; I can't remember if they're only considered Armored units in 3H or if they're still hybrid like the rest of the series.

Yes; one boss you see in three routes has a Lampos Shield, which negates bonus damage targetting cavalry (the boss in question shows up on all routes, but in Crimson Flower he doesn't have it).

Does anyone have the full damage formula for Three Houses? I specifically want to confirm the Crest addition part. It seems Crest damage is added after whatever is shown in the preview window, before being reduced by any Barrier/other damage reducing ability (rounded down with decimals not remembered), and before Critical Hits. What prompted me to wonder:

Spoiler

I was skimming DanteMGalileo's Blue Lions Maddening run (last image of page 57), when I noticed Sylvain attacking a ch9 demonic beast, and he procced a Crit and Minor Gautier Crest while using Monster Piercer and Steel Lance+. The displayed Mt was 17 and the Crit was 57. A normal crit in this situation would be 17x3=51, and it is presumed the Crest of Gautier gives +5 Mt, which doesn't add up if the Gautier effect is added post-Crit [51+5=57], nor pre-Crit post-MP [3x(17+5)=2x22=66], nor the above with the crest boost doubled by Monster Piercer. However, I am almost certain the Sylvain here is attacking a barrier, since some stats showed earlier show he'd have over 20 Atk, among other things. If the 5 from the Crest of Gautier is halved, it rounds down from 2.5 to 2, and 19x3 = 57.

Still on my first playthrough on Azure Moon during the early parts of the timeskip. I have three questions:

1. So far, the only paralogue I've seen for the timeskip section was Annette and Gilbert's. I've recruited Dorthea, Ignatz, and Lysithea (I realized later than I should have how important recruiting could be) in this run. Are there any other Paralogues for Part 2 or are there simple less in general when compared to Part 1?

2. At what level/how powerful should my units be before it is safe to start skipping ahead on the calendar? As much as I enjoy the battles of the game, they really slow down the pace, and often I'd just like to get a move on and skip to the main mission. However, I've seen the extra experience and levels go a long way several times, so I am hesitant to skip ahead out of concern that it would be jumping the gun.

3. How often do the maps after the Timeskip pull "gotcha!" traps? I had fun with Reunion at Dawn, but I could easily see that level becoming needlessly difficult if I put some of my units in a different class and/or if any of them were RNG screwed beforehand. The fire trap when defending Garreg Mach hurt as much as it helped, and if it weren't for Divine Pulse, Byleth would have bit the dust when the boss moved and got a lucky hit despite the map saying he would remain in place. Annette and Gilbert's Paralogue had reinforcements appear out of thin air, wonky AI, and guards that had an odd trigger that allowed them to move. These maps made me very wary of the rest of the games levels, so is this just a case of getting a bad first impression, or should I be prepared for the rest of the Timeskip missions to pull similar tricks?

18 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

1. So far, the only paralogue I've seen for the timeskip section was Annette and Gilbert's. I've recruited Dorthea, Ignatz, and Lysithea (I realized later than I should have how important recruiting could be) in this run. Are there any other Paralogues for Part 2 or are there simple less in general when compared to Part 1?

Some paralogues in part 2 are exclusive to certain routes. Also, a few require two units, most of which require at least one out-of-house unit (Legend of the Lake, Retribution and The Face Beneath). Hilda and Cyril's paralogue carries over into part 2 if you have both of them. There's also Eternal Guardian, which requires Byleth to have  a support with Rhea before part 1 is over.

23 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

3. How often do the maps after the Timeskip pull "gotcha!" traps? I had fun with Reunion at Dawn, but I could easily see that level becoming needlessly difficult if I put some of my units in a different class and/or if any of them were RNG screwed beforehand. The fire trap when defending Garreg Mach hurt as much as it helped, and if it weren't for Divine Pulse, Byleth would have bit the dust when the boss moved and got a lucky hit despite the map saying he would remain in place. Annette and Gilbert's Paralogue had reinforcements appear out of thin air, wonky AI, and guards that had an odd trigger that allowed them to move. These maps made me very wary of the rest of the games levels, so is this just a case of getting a bad first impression, or should I be prepared for the rest of the Timeskip missions to pull similar tricks?

I don't know. Some of them do have some nasty tricks, however; Petra and Bernadetta's paralogue especially, as its victory condition is a lie.

On 6/2/2020 at 5:01 PM, Hawkwing said:

What Mir said is accurate. But to build off of it - Dimitri will get a Paralogue, but it's locked until after a later story point. The Blue Lions just tend to have their paralogues pre-skip: Felix, Sylvain, Dedue, Ashe (w. Catherine), and Ingrid (w. Dorothea). The Black Eagles have more paralogues post-skip, while the Golden Deer are split somewhat evenly. Personally I see the abundance of paralogues (and battle-quests) pre-skip, as opposed to post-skip (when you have higher professor rank, and thereby more weekend battle credits) as poor game design, but... that's the way it is.

2. At what level/how powerful should my units be before it is safe to start skipping ahead on the calendar? As much as I enjoy the battles of the game, they really slow down the pace, and often I'd just like to get a move on and skip to the main mission. However, I've seen the extra experience and levels go a long way several times, so I am hesitant to skip ahead out of concern that it would be jumping the gun.

If you check "Battle" each week, you can read the "suggested level" for the month-end battle. However, that's really only a suggestion - some chapters are harder than their level suggests, some easier. I would suggested having at least 4 or 5 units at or above the suggested level before Skipping ahead. Also, keep a savefile before you Skip - that way, if it's too hard, you can fall back on the older file, and train up as needed.

"Reunion at Dawn" is probably the hardest chapter in Blue Lions post-skip (not the longest, though). I wouldn't worry too much about the chapters ahead - I don't recall too many brutal or unmanageable surprises.

Has anyone tried skipping a full month before? I can't check right now but I wonder if the instructing is automated or completely skipped.

Also, is the starting skill focus always the same as what characters teach seminars in? Can't find starting focus anywhere online.

(Yes I'm planning on doing a hard mode challenge run wherein I have to skip everything monastery-related.)