The Fire Emblem 3 Houses General Questions Thread

1 hour ago, whase said:

Has anyone tried skipping a full month before? I'm wondering if the instructing is automated or completely skipped.

Also, is the starting skill focus always the same as what characters teach seminars in? Can't find starting focus anywhere online.

It's completely skipped. You can tell because every unit will have maxed out motivation. 

Correct. They're also the same skills they are autoleveled in, so you can figure it from this.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, LoneRecon400 said:

It's completely skipped. You can tell because every unit will have maxed out motivation. 

Correct. They're also the same skills they are autoleveled in, so you can figure it from this.

Well, that makes my playthrough idea even harder, thanks! ^^

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2020 at 9:37 AM, whase said:

Has anyone tried skipping a full month before? I can't check right now but I wonder if the instructing is automated or completely skipped.

Also, is the starting skill focus always the same as what characters teach seminars in? Can't find starting focus anywhere online.

(Yes I'm planning on doing a hard mode challenge run wherein I have to skip everything monastery-related.)

On 6/10/2020 at 11:02 AM, LoneRecon400 said:

What? This can't be right. It litterally tells you weekdays will be set to Auto-Instruct and free days will be set to rest, right before you confirm skipping. Looking at motivation isn't a good way to confirm at all. A better way is to see the skill levels, or just what the game tells you:

skipping-calendar.jpg

17 hours ago, iridium137 said:

I'm on the final mission, I picked who I want to marry, but when we have a link together, it's still only the A-rank support bonuses. How do I get S-rank support bonuses?

I think getting S rank support bonuses is only doable in New Game +. I could be wrong, though.

I bought this game in like the first week that it was released, and I played all the way until like chapter 18 (Claude's route), and then didn't touch it again until last week. So I finally finished almost a year later! I heard a lot of cool things about New Game+ and I just had one question: how much renown do you start with in a NG+?  Do you start with a fixed amount of renown every NG+? Or do you start with the amount of renown you finished your last file with?

18 hours ago, iridium137 said:

I'm on the final mission, I picked who I want to marry, but when we have a link together, it's still only the A-rank support bonuses. How do I get S-rank support bonuses?

S-rank support conversation will get triggered after beating the game between Byleth and the person you chose to give the ring to.

6 hours ago, Carter said:

I bought this game in like the first week that it was released, and I played all the way until like chapter 18 (Claude's route), and then didn't touch it again until last week. So I finally finished almost a year later! I heard a lot of cool things about New Game+ and I just had one question: how much renown do you start with in a NG+?  Do you start with a fixed amount of renown every NG+? Or do you start with the amount of renown you finished your last file with?

I'm pretty sure you get something like 10k renown per path you cleared + a few k for each game played. 

I've played this game so many times I'm nearing a 100k renown each NG+, It really opens up a world of possibilities.

Could someone kindly explain how exactly the Cindered Shadows Chapter (and characters) works and integrates into the main game? I own it but haven't yet played the side story. I'm wondering about things like:

1. if I play Side Story, do those characters automatically start appearing in the main game, or do I get to choose whether I want to link the progress to a main game?
  2. Also, is Byleth in the Side Story separate from the one in the main game in terms of growth and stats etc? Or does anything I do there get carried over to the main game?
  3. Is there a way to switch off (or uninstall) some/all of the paid-dlc features after downloading it?

I'm wondering as I get closer to the end of AM, I'm considering doing the DLC before the GD route but still want to experience a non-dlc GD run. The other stuff from the dlc is fairly obvious and easy to avoid if I want to do a non-dlc run i think: (blue icon quests, extra aux battles, sauna, DLC supply box, Anna's blue quests and recruitment, feeding animals, and the dlc classes). Have I missed anything?

Edited by Owns

3 hours ago, Owns said:

Could someone kindly explain how exactly the Cindered Shadows Chapter (and characters) works and integrates into the main game? I own it but haven't yet played the side story. I'm wondering about things like:

1. if I play Side Story, do those characters automatically start appearing in the main game, or do I get to choose whether I want to link the progress to a main game?
  2. Also, is Byleth in the Side Story separate from the one in the main game in terms of growth and stats etc? Or does anything I do there get carried over to the main game?
  3. Is there a way to switch off (or uninstall) some/all of the paid-dlc features after downloading it?

I'm wondering as I get closer to the end of AM, I'm considering doing the DLC before the GD route but still want to experience a non-dlc GD run. The other stuff from the dlc is fairly obvious and easy to avoid if I want to do a non-dlc run i think: (blue icon quests, extra aux battles, sauna, DLC supply box, Anna's quests/shop, feeding animals, and the dlc classes). Have I missed anything?

1. After certain chapters in the side story, the game will tell you which Ashen Wolves characters have become available for recruitment on part 1 main files (starting from chapter 2). It's up to you if you want to talk to them. They do not appear in part 2 if not recruited in part 1.
2. Yes, all units in the side story have fixed skill levels/class selections, and their stats will grow without effect on/from main game files. Nothing carries over. If you finish Cindered Shadows, you get 2 rewards you can check on the DLC supply box once per main game file.
3. It's not possible in a non-modding way, but all paid DLC features are optional as you mentioned. You can pick the ones you want to use per file or none at all. Online features are the ones that can be turned off.

51 minutes ago, iridium137 said:

1. Can I buy multiple S-ranks in New Game+?

2. If I S-rank a bisexual character, then start a New Game+ with the opposite gender Byleth, can I buy back the S-rank with that character?

1. Depends on how many runs you have in that chain. IIRC I was only able to buy one S-rank on my first NG+, but then 4 on my second. I S-ranked Claude on my first NG+ run, so I don't know if that affected the number of buyable S-ranks or not

2. I S-ranked Linhardt my first ever playthrough, and he's been S-rankable forever since, regardless of Byleth's gender. So yes.

So I haven't really been keeping up with 3H too much recently, and I haven't been on the main site for it in ages.

But I went back onto it today, and noticed that the requirements for a few classes were lower than I remembered them (like Dark Knight needs B+ Reason when I could swear I remembered A reason)

So my question is: Am I going crazy or was this actually edited at some point, and if it was, when?

2 hours ago, Anathaco said:

So I haven't really been keeping up with 3H too much recently, and I haven't been on the main site for it in ages.

But I went back onto it today, and noticed that the requirements for a few classes were lower than I remembered them (like Dark Knight needs B+ Reason when I could swear I remembered A reason)

So my question is: Am I going crazy or was this actually edited at some point, and if it was, when?

You may have seen a website that had assumed certification requirements from around the time the game released, but they've always been that. You may have also jumbled them up since Bow Knight requires both A bows and riding with C lances (A in main weapon/move type + C in secondary weapon).  Dark Knight/Holy Knight probably have a lower skill level requirement in Reason/Faith, since until DLC wave 4's Valkyrie for female units, you couldn't raise both riding and magic in the same (pre-master) class, which meant more reliance on switching classes and lessons. Other classes with B+ requirements, like Great Knight, are to make up for not having classes that boosted all the required skill levels at the same time.

Edited by Silent Mercenary

1 hour ago, Silent Mercenary said:

You may have seen a website that had assumed certification requirements from around the time the game released, but they've always been that. You may have also jumbled them up since Bow Knight requires both A bows and riding with C lances (A in main weapon/move type + C in secondary weapon).  Dark Knight/Holy Knight probably have a lower skill level requirement in Reason/Faith, since until DLC wave 4's Valkyrie for female units, you couldn't raise both riding and magic in the same (pre-master) class, which meant more reliance on switching classes and lessons. Other classes with B+ requirements, like Great Knight, are to make up for not having classes that boosted all the required skill levels at the same time.

I see. At least I know my memory is wrong now, so thanks

On 6/28/2020 at 12:02 AM, iridium137 said:

1. Can I buy multiple S-ranks in New Game+?

2. If I S-rank a bisexual character, then start a New Game+ with the opposite gender Byleth, can I buy back the S-rank with that character?

If you genderswap between playthroughs, you may unlock S-ranks from hetero characters that are the same sex as your previous Byleth, provided they got their support to A and build the unseen relation. Even if you don't unlock the S-rank through the story option, you can see it in the extras menu.

Bi character's S-rank conversation can only be unlocked through story choice.

I have a question about NG+ and skill levels: will my characters keep their skill levels even if I don’t buy them in a different file?

for example, my Sylvain reached B level in Swords in my very first file. I’m now playing a NG+ file, but I decide not to train Sylvain in swords this time (he stays at E for the entire game and I don’t buy the skill with renown from the journal). If I beat this file, and start a new NG+, while my Sylvain have access to B level sword, or will he be locked to E Level sword because I didn’t buy the level?

3 hours ago, Carter said:

If I beat this file, and start a new NG+, while my Sylvain have access to B level sword, or will he be locked to E Level sword because I didn’t buy the level?

As long as your next NG+ uses the cleared game data from the NG+ that you're currently doing, then you'll retain the ability to access everything that you could buy in this NG+ in your next one. 

Does the game ever actually pick up?

I'm 3 hours in and I've only had 3 short battles, this game feels like it wants to pad out as much runtime as possible between actual battles and the actual teaching is fairly unengaging.

It just feels incredibly tedious to actually play.

Edited by Samz707

7 hours ago, Samz707 said:

Does the game ever actually pick up?

I'm 3 hours in and I've only had 3 short battles, this game feels like it wants to pad out as much runtime as possible between actual battles and the actual teaching is fairly unengaging.

It just feels incredibly tedious to actually play.

Obviously, a lot is dependent on individual tastes and preferences (I loved all the down-time and character building and everything, but that's just me). That said, if you strongly dislike all the monastery stuff from the beginning, it doesn't have any sort of fundamental change that's likely to suddenly make you start enjoying it. The battles definitely do get a lot more involved as the game progresses, and end up much more interesting than early tutorial battles. The game is still playable if you skip over a lot of the monastery stuff, though. It's a bit harder that way than if you spend a lot of time min-maxing all the out-of-battle stuff, but definitely playable. Maybe try playing it that way and seeing if it clicks any better for you?

3 hours ago, lenticular said:

Obviously, a lot is dependent on individual tastes and preferences (I loved all the down-time and character building and everything, but that's just me). That said, if you strongly dislike all the monastery stuff from the beginning, it doesn't have any sort of fundamental change that's likely to suddenly make you start enjoying it. The battles definitely do get a lot more involved as the game progresses, and end up much more interesting than early tutorial battles. The game is still playable if you skip over a lot of the monastery stuff, though. It's a bit harder that way than if you spend a lot of time min-maxing all the out-of-battle stuff, but definitely playable. Maybe try playing it that way and seeing if it clicks any better for you?

I would but honestly I never trust any game with stuff like the "Auto-Lecture" and other automated stuff (Such as the orders you can give in Echoes) since half the time they're (Intentionally or otherwise though usually intentionally in the case of auto-battles) bad at their job so I feel like I have to do it if I don't want to get screwed over down the line.

Doesn't help that honestly the actual combat doesn't feel fun this time around so I have to slog through the Monastery, I don't even get character building because at least so far, the game just skips over all the stuff of Byleth actually teaching their classes, such as Bernie telling me about her "hiding in the corner and covering her face" which probably would have had more impact if I actually saw it but instead the game so far just prefers telling me how great friends we all became second-hand, which means I don't actually care about anyone since the game just has anything actually interesting happen off-screen so far in favour of generic fetch quests in the Monestary. (Which feels like it was made to make getting from Point A to B take as long as possible with it's design.)

Edited by Samz707

How exactly do Battalions work?

Unless I missed something the game has completely skipped over explaning them, how does their endurance stat go down? do they "die" if it goes down?

Also apparently Authority is related to them? the game basically just dumped them on me, gave me a rather basic explaination of Gambits and left me to it are they actually useful? The gambits I've seen are basically just weapon Arts but tied to the Battalion. (like pushing a dude back after attacking him.) Does the gambit pair-up bonus thing require the other units to have Batallions?

Edited by Samz707

24 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

How exactly do Battalions work?

Unless I missed something the game has completely skipped over explaning them, how does their endurance stat go down? do they "die" if it goes down?

Also apparently Authority is related to them? the game basically just dumped them on me, gave me a rather basic explaination of Gambits and left me to it are they actually useful? The gambits I've seen are basically just weapon Arts but tied to the Battalion. (like pushing a dude back after attacking him.) Does the gambit pair-up bonus thing require the other units to have Batallions?

Here's a pretty good intro to battalions.  That goes over pretty much everything, but here are some specific answers:

Endurance is basically the battalion's HP and will go down by roughly half of the damage the unit takes (if the unit on the map takes four damage, for instance, the endurance will go down by two points). That being said, there is a "rule of thirds" benchmark system: battalions will never lose more than a third of their endurance in any one hit (denoted by the triangles next to battalion name; you can also see them on the map). Battalions don't "die" like a unit would in Classic Mode, but if their endurance hits zero they "retreat", nullifying any stat boosts they provide and preventing you from using their gambit. You'll have to spend some money at the battalion guild replenishing them, since there isn't anyway to raise their endurance mid-battle barring online functions. 

Authority Prowess only raises the might of offensive gambits, and charm increases damage, hit and avoidance (though it has much more impact on the hit/avoidance than damage). However, battalions have a base authority rank needed to use them, like weapons needing a certain skill rank before being usable. Gambit Boosts (Linked Attacks but for Gambits) don't require the other units to have battalions, just that the target of the gambit be in their range(s).

I would say battalions are very much worth it. They provide lots of stat boosts for one thing (particularly to hit/avoid/critical) and have great crowd control capabilities since any unit hit by a gambit will be "rattled" and thus prevented from moving for a turn. Offensive gambits are also the most efficient and reliable way to combat monsters, since they can break armor. Support gambits also exist that have arguably some of the most broken effects in the game. Stride, for example, is a gambit that increases units' move by 5 points which can help immensely. 

Is it possible to see Hilda's Goddess Scene in the Black Eagles route? I''m aware she can't be recruited there unless you go Silver Snow in Chapter 11, but I haven't found any info about her Goddess Scene being doable there.

4 hours ago, Moltz23 said:

Is it possible to see Hilda's Goddess Scene in the Black Eagles route? I''m aware she can't be recruited there unless you go Silver Snow in Chapter 11, but I haven't found any info about her Goddess Scene being doable there.

You can't support Hilda period in Black eagles route. You can't gift her anything or give her lost items. After the route split you can do things with her though

Edited by vikingsfan92