The Fire Emblem 3 Houses General Questions Thread

On 7/8/2020 at 10:15 AM, Moltz23 said:

Is it possible to see Hilda's Goddess Scene in the Black Eagles route? I''m aware she can't be recruited there unless you go Silver Snow in Chapter 11, but I haven't found any info about her Goddess Scene being doable there.

I just went on and tested this; Hilda's Goddess Tower scene can be viewed in Black Eagles, with the caveat that supporting with her is a bit more difficult than others (but far from impossible).

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Skarthe said:

I just went on and tested this; Hilda's Goddess Tower scene can be viewed in Black Eagles, with the caveat that supporting with her is a bit more difficult than others (but far from impossible).

How would you even do that, though?

3 hours ago, Azure loves his Half Elves said:

You can still take her on activities and build support points that way, or she can show up in stuff that the eintre cast can be picked for like the counsellor box.

It's how I made her easier to recruit on my SS run.

4 hours ago, Azure loves his Half Elves said:

What Dayni said; she's still available for choir practice and mealtime, so it's not all that hard to raise her support. I think I hit B with her the month of the Battle of Eagle and Lion on my current, non-NG+ Maddening playthrough. 

does the forum happen to save drafts while creating new posts? I had just finished a post when my browser crashed while I was trying to upload an image to the post and now it seems to be gone. Any way to retrieve what I had already typed? Thankfully it wasn't a very long post, but it wasn't too short either and had some formatting in it along with my trail of thought...

17 hours ago, Skarthe said:

Interesting! I kinda had the hunch it was possible due to the game allowing to raise her support points through alternate means but wasn't sure if it was actually feasible. Thanks!

Ok, this might sound silly 'cause it's something I've never tried before, but...is it possible in the Black Eagles route to accompany Edelgard to Enbarr after the first week of exploration?

I was checking fedatamine.com when I noticed the page lists a variation of the coronation event in which Edelgard says goodbye to Byleth as she goes there alone, and I was wondering if that's what happened if you tried talking to her after the first week of that chapter's month (or maybe it's unused content? You can see some of it through that page so...).

37 minutes ago, Moltz23 said:

Ok, this might sound silly 'cause it's something I've never tried before, but...is it possible in the Black Eagles route to accompany Edelgard to Enbarr after the first week of exploration?

I was checking fedatamine.com when I noticed the page lists a variation of the coronation event in which Edelgard says goodbye to Byleth as she goes there alone, and I was wondering if that's what happened if you tried talking to her after the first week of that chapter's month (or maybe it's unused content? You can see some of it through that page so...).

If I remember correctly, yes you can accompany her to Enbarr on any week within that month. I'm guessing she says goodbye if you talk to her but choose not to go with her?

1 minute ago, whase said:

If I remember correctly, yes you can accompany her to Enbarr on any week within that month. I'm guessing she says goodbye if you talk to her but choose not to go with her?

1. Hmm... If that's the case, then that might actually be unused content. According to that same page, there's even monastery dialogue for the weeks after Edelgard goes without Byleth, which I don't believe (as far I know) are used anywhere in the game.

2. I've choosen to not go with her before for testing purposes, and when that happens the event ends right there and Edelgard vanishes for the rest of the month.

3 hours ago, Moltz23 said:

1. Hmm... If that's the case, then that might actually be unused content. According to that same page, there's even monastery dialogue for the weeks after Edelgard goes without Byleth, which I don't believe (as far I know) are used anywhere in the game.

2. I've choosen to not go with her before for testing purposes, and when that happens the event ends right there and Edelgard vanishes for the rest of the month.

I think there's a requirement on support level to be able to go with her. Not 100% sure that it's related to support, but in my current playthrough of SS I didn't even get the option to go with her when I talked to her during that month, and she just left on her own. I have barely used her, which is why my support level with Edel was so low.

22 minutes ago, Bartozio said:

I think there's a requirement on support level to be able to go with her. Not 100% sure that it's related to support, but in my current playthrough of SS I didn't even get the option to go with her when I talked to her during that month, and she just left on her own. I have barely used her, which is why my support level with Edel was so low.

I believe it is. The page list the alternate version of her coronation scene needs something which doesn't involve support levels though, so it becomes very likely that 1. the alternate scene is unused, and 2. there was one more requirement at one point to accompany Edelgard to Enbarr before it was scrapped.

12 hours ago, Moltz23 said:

It's not unused! I turned Edelgard down on my first Explore of the month. On my second Explore (think it was the third Sunday overall), she was back in the monastery. She used that dialogue, in the link.

What's the general consensus over Maddening now that over a year has passed?
I'm considering doing an AM NG maddening run, but I've read many mixed views about how maddening in 3H being quite poorly balanced. For the record I really enjoyed, and completed conquest lunatic, but dropped awakening lunatic quite early on. 

14 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

It's not unused! I turned Edelgard down on my first Explore of the month. On my second Explore (think it was the third Sunday overall), she was back in the monastery. She used that dialogue, in the link.

Neat. Thanks for the confirmation!

3 hours ago, ruruo said:

What's the general consensus over Maddening now that over a year has passed?

It's feasible to do, but it forces you to turtle a lot early game and punishes you a ton later if you didn't plan your skills and classes in advance.

IMO, it's only fun if you enjoy building and customizing your units.

On 8/3/2020 at 9:56 AM, Moltz23 said:

When i played through CF, I didn't talk to her at all until i was ready to end the last explore session, and i was able to attend the coronation. I think if you talk to her and turn her down, you miss the event, but if you don't talk to her until then (motivate with meals rather than gifts), you can still go at the end of the month and not miss any tutoring.

I vaguely remember having to backtrack to an earlier save to avoid talking to her that month.

On 7/29/2020 at 7:26 PM, Dayni said:

So, stupid maddening question.

I've been trying to find guidance on when you recruit units from other houses in Part 1 and I don't know where. For context, I am on GD and I'm planning on picking up most but not all students (Sylvain's free because F!Byleth, Dorothea and Annette are being skipped and I plan on not using the Part 1 paralogue recruits past their paralogues). I've heard that mages are better recruited early on and physical units later generally, but I don't know how universal that is.

When you get to chapter 6, students you haven't recruited reach level 11 and are auto promoted into their intermediate class. They actually use enemy-unit growths, and those are applied retroactively for every level they gained.

Enemy-Pegasus' growths are way better than Soldier's, or any player classes', so Ingrid's raw stats get better than usual the longer that you hold off on recruiting her, the same goes for most physical units.

The major downside is that they are stuck with their default skill goals, and you can't tutor them (or obviously use them, outside of mission assistance). Magic users don't get significantly better growths, and most have sub-optimal goals, which is why you might as well recruit them ASAP.

You can find out what class each character will promote into here: https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/characters/other-data/

Edited by Fraven Pooth

5 hours ago, Fraven Pooth said:

When you get to chapter 6, students you haven't recruited reach level 11 and are auto promoted into their intermediate class. They actually use enemy-unit growths, and those are applied retroactively for every level they gained.

Enemy-Pegasus' growths are way better than Soldier's, or any player classes', so Ingrid's raw stats get better than usual the longer that you hold off on recruiting her, the same goes for most physical units.

The major downside is that they are stuck with their default skill goals, and you can't tutor them (or obviously use them, outside of mission assistance). Magic users don't get significantly better growths, and most have sub-optimal goals, which is why you might as well recruit them ASAP.

You can find out what class each character will promote into here: https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/characters/other-data/

I had realised some of this, either playing in the past or as discussed earlier. Hell, it's that which led me to try and recruit Bernadetta before Chapter 5's main mission as she got D axes. I am curious as to if they only use enemy growths or if it's combined with classes or their own base growths. Are some of them more negatively affected by some of their classes outside of the mages, or is it an improvement for all of them? and are these combined with the unit's base growths?

I recruited everyone except Ferdinand and Lindhardt in a Golden Deer run. Am I missing out by not having recruited them?  Inventory management for 29 characters is a rather interesting task. (minus the non-recruitables.)

Edited by grinus

24 minutes ago, grinus said:

I recruited everyone except Ferdinand and Lindhardt in a Golden Deer run. Am I missing out by not having recruited them?  Inventory management for 29 characters is a rather interesting task. (minus the non-recruitables.)

You miss out on 2 paralogues that involve some of your GD students. Other than that, not really.

Edited by Anathaco

17 hours ago, Dayni said:

I had realised some of this, either playing in the past or as discussed earlier. Hell, it's that which led me to try and recruit Bernadetta before Chapter 5's main mission as she got D axes. I am curious as to if they only use enemy growths or if it's combined with classes or their own base growths. Are some of them more negatively affected by some of their classes outside of the mages, or is it an improvement for all of them? and are these combined with the unit's base growths?

Yes, class growths are always added to individual ones. I think as far as raw stats it's always better to wait, even for mages. It's just a matter of whether or not it's worth it.

15 hours ago, Anathaco said:

You miss out on 2 paralogues that involve some of your GD students. Other than that, not really.

@grinus Literally the only 2 students who would've actually added something to GD content-wise, how unfortunate.

Edited by Owns

On 8/4/2020 at 5:31 PM, Moltz23 said:

It's feasible to do, but it forces you to turtle a lot early game and punishes you a ton later if you didn't plan your skills and classes in advance.

IMO, it's only fun if you enjoy building and customizing your units.

How grindy do you find the class progression/customisation? For example, I've read about people picking up multiple intermediate mastery skills (getting Death Blow & Hit+20), or things like making sure units gets Weight -3 in heavy armour. ngl I'm not sure if I will be that into grinding for certain skills set ups. Even some of my current NG+ units from multiple runs have quite basic setups.   

On 8/5/2020 at 5:45 PM, Garsoba said:

I just recently wrapped up doing every route on new game and no DLC.  I found it to be a fun challenge at points, but overall once you get the rhythm even maddening is largely easy. 

The major drawback I thought maddening has is that it’s best to plan around chapter 13 in the runs that have reunion at dawn.  This includes making sure Byleth is a flyer in AM and every route having a secondary killer in second wave of reinforcements.  Even if you train your whole house, it’s just not a fun map.  

outside of that I tried many different things with each run.  I did easiest to hardest routes and went better each time.  VW -> CF -> SS -> AM.  I even did CF and SS off the same white clouds, benched Hubert.  I lost units on the 2 easier routes and didn’t drop any on the latter 2.

I think the one of the main things that's holding me back is monastery usage, all the busywork (fishing/sidequesting/food/tea time) and  earning skill points for promotion. I'm not sure how reliably I can grind skill levels for classes without putting investment into monastery, or if I need to spend loads of time fishing to earn professor levels, or go on auxiliary battles to grind for skill levels via broken weapon(??). etc. etc.. 

The plan so far, is to keep class promotion quite basic (maybe use breaker skills to re-invoke the weapon triangle?). I'm open about using DLC for classes (mainly for Valkyrie), maybe the Fetters for the Dancer or Dimitri for a pseudo mounted unit. I would want to use everyone in the main house apart from Dedue, and recruit 2 more main units from other houses (10 unit core). Love the guy, but Dedue will be on adjunct duties since he come back so late. I'm also thinking about keeping Byleth to Lv1. until Ch10 for EO bases, then just Pegasus ---> Falcon Knight. I'm not sure how realistic this whole plan is so far. 

Would it help if I listed class progression plans for the units?

5 hours ago, ruruo said:

How grindy do you find the class progression/customisation? For example, I've read about people picking up multiple intermediate mastery skills (getting Death Blow & Hit+20), or things like making sure units gets Weight -3 in heavy armour. ngl I'm not sure if I will be that into grinding for certain skills set ups. Even some of my current NG+ units from multiple runs have quite basic setups.   

It's fairly smooth overall. Maddening lowers the amount of exp you get compared to Normal and Hard, so it's a given you're gonna be a while in the beginner/intermediate classes, which by itself gives you a ton of time to grind for skills. With magic users it gets a bit more complicated tho, as they're gonna struggle a ton without their magic if you want them to learn stuff like Hit +20 or Darting Blow (their common users fortunately do learn Combat Arts like Hex Blade/Frozen Lance/Lightning Axe, which can mitigate this issue somewhat).

Edited by Moltz23

I had a question regarding crests on Edelgard and Lysithea. I'll put it in a spoiler tag.

Spoiler

So Lysithea I recall had her lifespan greatly shortened after receiving a second crest, correct? Was it actually the same with Edelgard or was it that her lifespan was actually increased instead of decreased? Did this have to do with it being the Crest of Flames? Also is there an ending where they actually are able to get rid of their crests? I can't remember if someone tells Lysithea in a support conversation that there may actually be a way to remove her extra crest. So by doing that I'd assume it'd reestablish what her lifespan is supposed to be. That could've been a detail in Edelgard and Lysithea's ending too, but I don't recall. Extra question, if they are able to remove the crests and do, do their hair colors also return to normal?

6 hours ago, ruruo said:

How grindy do you find the class progression/customisation? For example, I've read about people picking up multiple intermediate mastery skills (getting Death Blow & Hit+20), or things like making sure units gets Weight -3 in heavy armour. ngl I'm not sure if I will be that into grinding for certain skills set ups.

Neither of these really require much grinding. Weight-3 is 300 armour exp, so if you can make the investment early (when the skill is most useful) it can pay off quite well. 300 exp is 15 weeks of instruction even if you do no tutoring, and quite a bit less if you do. It's a solid option (and you should definitely do it for the characters strong in armour IMO) but not a must, whether I do it tends to depend on how expensive the rest of the character's build is.

Mastering two intermediate jobs is also quite doable, though I wouldn't try to do it on the entire team. If you target the Knowledge Gem from Tales of the Red Canyon as one of your first paralogues, then the PC with it should have no trouble at all. Otherwise it varies... Maddening reducing exp intake means you do actually spend a bit more time in lower-tier classes than you may be used to from Hard, so getting two masteries by Level 20 isn't completely crazy, but I usually find that without a Knowledge Gem I can expect to wait a little bit extra (say Level ~22) before jumping to Advance tier. Death Blow + Darting Blow is a heck of a drug, though; once I saw that in action it became hard to not do it with every female physical unit.

6 hours ago, ruruo said:

I think the one of the main things that's holding me back is monastery usage, all the busywork (fishing/sidequesting/food/tea time) and  earning skill points for promotion. I'm not sure how reliably I can grind skill levels for classes without putting investment into monastery, or if I need to spend loads of time fishing to earn professor levels, or go on auxiliary battles to grind for skill levels via broken weapon(??). etc. etc.. 

Having done an almost-no-monastery run of Maddening, you shouldn't feel like you have to put in more investment than you find enjoyable. Doing loads of extra fishing to grind professor rank feels like one of the most boring things imaginable to me, and the extra grinding via aux fights is completely unnecessary, so again do it only if you have fun with it. Monastery is necessary for recruitment and building Byleth supports at a reasonable rate but otherwise if you're sick of it you can do seminars instead, which do about as well for skill exp gain (they're not as good at motivation recharge and you'll lose out on some activity points for instructing, but on the flipside you get a whole bunch of skill exp directly).

7 hours ago, ruruo said:

I'm also thinking about keeping Byleth to Lv1. until Ch10 for EO bases, then just Pegasus ---> Falcon Knight. I'm not sure how realistic this whole plan is so far. 

I'll let someone who has actually done this on Maddening chime in but that sounds painful to me. Byleth is usually one of the top 2-3 best units on your team, so not being able to use him/her until chapter 10 (while s/he still eats a unit slot in every story fight and paralogue) will be rough. Additionally, you'll miss out on class masteries which are a big deal (HP+5, stat+2, reposition-type skill, Death Blow/Darting Blow/etc.)... you can make  those up later of course but that's still adding to the catchup. And EO bases don't look very good compared to Maddening enemies in chapter 11, so you'll need to start catching up  levels before you really see the benefit to this build at all. Basically I think you'll be making your chapter 1-10 much harder in exchange for only a modest increase in performance in the last quarter of the game.