The Fire Emblem 3 Houses General Questions Thread

1 hour ago, Imuabicus said:

Hmm, I think it depends on what deals more damage, but the amount of damage they receive in return also matters - I rallied Byleth with Ignatz which brought Byleth into doubling range and the enemy would attack with the gambit, when before it showed a regular attack. 

Ha, I just did chapter 4, but the mage reinforcements alone where almost more than I could handle. Chapter 5 and my highest-level unit is Byleth at 8. Everyone else is 6 or below.

Raphael, I think I´ll keep around, because he decided to so far lvl nothing but HP/DEF and deals some okish damage, but the decision Lorenz v Ignatz is still up. Only reason I really keep Lorenz around is because of mixed damage availability (though his physical dmg sucks - he has broken 2 Iron Lances so far), that he has learned Heal by now, which I desperately need and eventually Thyrsus, should I decide to do paralogues while my hope with Ignatz is exactly the described Hunter Volley scenario, but like, it hurts carrying this guy around.

I have seen rallies mess with the AI before and make them do something else so that makes sense.

How are you approaching your maddening run? I typically do monastery, battle, monastery, battle then mission. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Imuabicus said:

I think chapter 3 has you exploring to unlock Batallion Guild too, and in chapter 4 I think you can immediately end the exploration phase, because that´s the chapter I´m currently at and I don´t remember doing the investigation stuff.

You aren't forced to explore in chapter 3. If you explore any time from the start of Chapter 3 on, you will be forced to do the battalion quest. When I did my no-monastery run, I still only had the starting three battalions in the Lonato map (and couldn't replenish them).

You're then forced to explore in Chapter 4, of course, so that's the latest you can do the battalion quest. I thought you did have to do the investigation to end that explore, but I could be wrong about that.

10 hours ago, Barren said:

How are you approaching your maddening run? I typically do monastery, battle, monastery, battle then mission.

Everything about the monastery that can be skipped, will be skipped. From the beginning of the month, immediately skip to the end. Only thing I did so far was mess around with the goals.

5 hours ago, Imuabicus said:

Everything about the monastery that can be skipped, will be skipped. From the beginning of the month, immediately skip to the end. Only thing I did so far was mess around with the goals.

Interesting. So it's kind of a speed run or at least a no monastery run. I think the game will force you to pick a dancer though. Not entirely sure

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding chapter 17 CF, is it possible to clear the map without Rhea spawning, or is that something that no matter what I do, I cannot prevent from happening?

35 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

As far as I know it's impossible. Even if you avoid the other triggers, if you defeat (or even engage with?) Dimitri, Rhea will appear immediately, even if killing Dimitri would otherwise end the battle.

Huh. Thought so. I asked because I know that a prior map has something similar going on with Flayn (she comes in as a reinforcement, but if she doesn't appear before the other commanders are defeated, she won't appear, and you get the big thumbs up).

• 4 weeks later...

I know holy knight is a bad class, but are there any units that can be decent with it?  Well other than Lysithea...

Next time I play 3H i want to just avoid making everyone WL and Bow Knight and want to try as much class diversity as reasonable

19 minutes ago, Radiant head said:

I know holy knight is a bad class, but are there any units that can be decent with it?  Well other than Lysithea...

Next time I play 3H i want to just avoid making everyone WL and Bow Knight and want to try as much class diversity as reasonable

Holy Knight is not a bad class.  It's just a class with competition that is similar-but-better, in that most offensive mages would rather have Dark Knight / Valkyrie / Dark Flier, and Faith supporty mages that spam Physic are happy in Bishop or Gremory.  Magic-with-Canto is still good though; in the alternate dimension where mages have to pick between Warlock, Mortal Savant, and Holy Knight, it'd be a more interesting choice, with an appropriate tradeoff in power (losing the -Faire) for the mobility in Canto.  (Maybe a good analogy: imagine if there was a variant of Wyvern Rider/Lord that didn't have Axefaire.  That class would still be really good!  Even if nobody would bother with it because you'd just pick real Wyvern Rider/Lord instead.)

Anyway, if you're not using Holy Knight as just "Dark Knight but without Reason-faire", then that means you're maximizing White Tomefaire somehow.  In theory, Marianne (the canon choice) can smack people with Aura, but even then she's gonna be using Reason magic reasonably often, and the Deer need a healer and she has Physic, so Canto is a little less interesting.  IMO, Holy Knight Byleth is maybe the most interesting: they'll have White Avo+20 to be a dodge/draintank, they get both Nos & Aura, they don't have Physic so riding around with high mobility to actually heal people then retreat is useful.  Just be prepared to do a lot of faculty training...

...the other wild possibility to throw out there is Yuri, who is pretty much Byleth in having Aura & Nos and not having Physic, so maybe getting some payoff.  That means working against his Horse skill bane, though.

Edited by SnowFire

There was a thread on characters who make the best use of classes and Bernadetta was a pretty convincing pick for Holy Knight. She has a couple cool faith spells (Physic and Rescue) but isn't likely going to do much magic attacking, so building Reason is a waste. Holy Knight lets her use her faith spells while still having mobility for effective use of Vengeance and Encloser.

47 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

There was a thread on characters who make the best use of classes and Bernadetta was a pretty convincing pick for Holy Knight. She has a couple cool faith spells (Physic and Rescue) but isn't likely going to do much magic attacking, so building Reason is a waste. Holy Knight lets her use her faith spells while still having mobility for effective use of Vengeance and Encloser.

So I disagree about building Reason being a waste on Bernadetta, for a couple reasons:

1. She gets Thoron at C Reason, a legit good spell with a 3-range niche. Even if she's not attacking, she can equip it for linked attack support. Also C Reason unlocks Mage, and if she ever plans to attack on player phase, Fiendish Blow is a good skill.

2. Bernadetta's Magic stat is... bad. 5 base, 20% growth. So by level 10, she can expect to have about 7 magic. Certifying in Mage, however, bumps this up to 10 (before class modifiers). Priest only bumps her up to 9. If she spends all her Intermediate time as a Mage, her Magic growth will be 30%, for 13 Magic at level 20. If she certifies as a Warlock, this jumps up to 17. Compare to Bishop, which only gives 15. This higher Magic stat not only gives her better offense, but also more Rescue range. The flip side, of course, is that emphasizing Reason training (hitting at least B+) means later access to Rescue at A Faith.

So it's a trade-off, certainly, but there's a solid case for emphasizing Reason, even on Pass/Rescue builds.

9 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

1. She gets Thoron at C Reason, a legit good spell with a 3-range niche. Even if she's not attacking, she can equip it for linked attack support. Also C Reason unlocks Mage, and if she ever plans to attack on player phase, Fiendish Blow is a good skill.

2. Bernadetta's Magic stat is... bad. 5 base, 20% growth. So by level 10, she can expect to have about 7 magic. Certifying in Mage, however, bumps this up to 10 (before class modifiers). Priest only bumps her up to 9. If she spends all her Intermediate time as a Mage, her Magic growth will be 30%, for 13 Magic at level 20. If she certifies as a Warlock, this jumps up to 17. Compare to Bishop, which only gives 15. This higher Magic stat not only gives her better offense, but also more Rescue range. The flip side, of course, is that emphasizing Reason training (hitting at least B+) means later access to Rescue at A Faith.

So it's a trade-off, certainly, but there's a solid case for emphasizing Reason, even on Pass/Rescue builds.

Adding B+ reason by Level 20 feels like it makes the build (which also wants A faith, A bows, and high ranks in lances/riding) quite expensive. And otherwise.... I dunno. As you said, Bernie's magic isn't very good. How much magic attacking is she going to do? Presumably Vengeance and bows will still be more effective much of the time. Which in turn means her intermediate mastery time is better spent on other things than Fiendish Blow. So ultimately it feels like a lot of extra investment just to get a bit damage of a backup type, and half a square of Rescue range.

Thoron's cool but keep in mind that, if you have no way to expand its range, a longbow can manage the same threat range.

Now if you're all in for magical Bernie, then yeah, Dark Knight will be better than Holy Knight. But if you're not, Holy Knight actually has a clear niche for her, which I don't think it really does for people like Marianne (who absolutely does want Reason for all the reasons you brought up, with the bonus point that Fiendish Blow will be her intermediate mastery of choice regardless of whether she's emphasizing weapons or spells).

What about Bernadetta with a forged Magic Bow? I can see where it’d be more effective as a Dark Knight since they kind of have better modifiers compared to Holy Knight but I think it gets 1-3 range. Sure it’s a higher ranking compared to Long Bow but it would be an interesting option for her against armored units at least assuming fiendish blow, magic +2 and hit +20. 

A bit off topic but, I used Annette as a Dark Knight on Crimson Flower and she was helpful for me on the final boss where Arrow of Indra, Fiendish Blow, Magic + 2 and Sacred Power to have her one shot an enemy Paladin using the Knightkneeler combat art. I know that we shouldn’t be comparing her to Bernie since both of them are suited for different roles. But at least both of them can make Dark Knight work in their own way.

14 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Adding B+ reason by Level 20 feels like it makes the build (which also wants A faith, A bows, and high ranks in lances/riding) quite expensive. And otherwise.... I dunno. As you said, Bernie's magic isn't very good. How much magic attacking is she going to do? Presumably Vengeance and bows will still be more effective much of the time. Which in turn means her intermediate mastery time is better spent on other things than Fiendish Blow. So ultimately it feels like a lot of extra investment just to get a bit damage of a backup type, and half a square of Rescue range.

Thoron's cool but keep in mind that, if you have no way to expand its range, a longbow can manage the same threat range.

Now if you're all in for magical Bernie, then yeah, Dark Knight will be better than Holy Knight. But if you're not, Holy Knight actually has a clear niche for her, which I don't think it really does for people like Marianne (who absolutely does want Reason for all the reasons you brought up, with the bonus point that Fiendish Blow will be her intermediate mastery of choice regardless of whether she's emphasizing weapons or spells).

My build assumes not training Bows at all. If you want a Bernadetta that does Vengeance, Encoser, and Rescue, then... yeah, I guess Holy Knight is the best for that? She'll have a worse Vengeance than Paladin Bernie, a worse Encloser than Bow Knight Bernie, a worse Physic than Bishop Bernie, and a worse Rescue than either Dark Knight or Dark Flier Bernie. If you want all of the above though, then sure, go for Holy Knight.

1 hour ago, Barren said:

What about Bernadetta with a forged Magic Bow? I can see where it’d be more effective as a Dark Knight since they kind of have better modifiers compared to Holy Knight but I think it gets 1-3 range. Sure it’s a higher ranking compared to Long Bow but it would be an interesting option for her against armored units at least assuming fiendish blow, magic +2 and hit +20. 

Magic Bow, with 8 Might and 75 Hit, doesn't make much sense on Dark Knight Bernadetta. Thoron has 9 Might (raised to an effective 14 via Black Tomefaire), 75 Hit, and 10 Crit. Not only that, but there are options to boost its range (and that of Blizzard, Thunder, and Fimbulvetr) that doesn't exist for Bows. I suppose you could use it after Thoron runs out, but again, Caduceus/Thyrsus/S-Reason will give you 3-range with other spells.

I can see a case for Magic Bow on Sniper (combined with Hunter's Volley) or Bow Knight (Bowfaire, Bowrange +2, Encloser), though. Might let her get more damage in against low-Res enemies.

9 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Magic Bow, with 8 Might and 75 Hit, doesn't make much sense on Dark Knight Bernadetta. Thoron has 9 Might (raised to an effective 14 via Black Tomefaire), 75 Hit, and 10 Crit. Not only that, but there are options to boost its range (and that of Blizzard, Thunder, and Fimbulvetr) that doesn't exist for Bows. I suppose you could use it after Thoron runs out, but again, Caduceus/Thyrsus/S-Reason will give you 3-range with other spells.

I can see a case for Magic Bow on Sniper (combined with Hunter's Volley) or Bow Knight (Bowfaire, Bowrange +2, Encloser), though. Might let her get more damage in against low-Res enemies.

Yes I can see it better used on Bowfaire classes. I guess why that popped in my head was because of how flexible a forged magic bow can be in this game. Like how I once did Gremory Mercedes with a magic bow.

If we were to do a magic bow Bernie, then I would think that you just have to invest into reason and bows and level her up as a mage/archer then certify as a warlock then sniper afterwards. Would she still want fiendish blow for magic bow afterwards as her primary source of damage or should it be served as a backup option against low res enemies?

Edited by Barren

1 hour ago, Barren said:

If we were to do a magic bow Bernie, then I would think that you just have to invest into reason and bows and level her up as a mage/archer then certify as a warlock then sniper afterwards. Would she still want fiendish blow for magic bow afterwards as her primary source of damage or should it be served as a backup option against low res enemies?

I'd say "yes", although it depends on your intended build.

If the goal is "do as much magical damage as possible", then absolutely, haul ass to certify in Mage and Warlock. Skill set would look like "Bow Prowess Lv. X, Hit +20, Fiendish Blow, Magic +2, [Pass/Dex +4/Bow Crit +10/Authority Lv. X]". Slap a magic-boosting battalion on her, and let her take some damage to trigger Persecution Complex, and suddenly she's hitting respectable power levels. That said, Bernie's hardly the best at this build - someone innately more magical with a Reason boon, like Hubert or Hanneman, can do it better.

How sbout "hybrid attacker", who hits foes either physically or magically depending on whatever does more damage? In this case, I'd still go for Mage Certification, but Warlock certification feels less essential, potentially saving some training. For a skill set, something like "Bow Prowess Lv. X, Hit +20, Fiendish Blow, Death Blow, [Pass/Mag +2/Str +2/Bow Crit +10]" makes sense. That said, going for three Intermediate class masteries is a chore in its own right. And your battalion choices are limited - you'll want one that boosts both offenses, like Gloucester Knights.

Finally, there's the standard "Hunter's Volley Sniper, but with a backup Magic Bow". This version won't train Reason at all, making it lower-effort, but less effective on the magical side. Something like "Bow Prowess Lv. X, Hit +20, Death Blow, Str +2, [Pass/Dex +4/Bow Crit +10/Authority Lv. X]" as a skill set. You don't necessarily need a hybrid battalion, but you want one that at least won't lower magical offense. Bernie's magical damage will be very low here, so I only see the Magic Bow outdamaging physical options against Armored enemies.

10 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

My build assumes not training Bows at all. If you want a Bernadetta that does Vengeance, Encoser, and Rescue, then... yeah, I guess Holy Knight is the best for that? She'll have a worse Vengeance than Paladin Bernie, a worse Encloser than Bow Knight Bernie, a worse Physic than Bishop Bernie, and a worse Rescue than either Dark Knight or Dark Flier Bernie. If you want all of the above though, then sure, go for Holy Knight.

Bishop Bernie just seems bad to me. You're not going to get much out of Vengeance if it's stuck at 4 move, so at that point she really is mostly a magical unit, and not a particularly good one. And Rescue, as noted earlier, is only half a point worse without a drop of reason investment. Paladin/Bow Knight have obvious advantages for Bernie, but they don't have Rescue/Physic at all. So I would say that it's closer to "if you want a unit with Vengeance/Encloser/Rescue/Physic, go Holy Knight Bernie. If you want to trade Encloser for 0.5 more squares of Rescue range and some weak magic offence, you can go Dark Knight instead".

I don't think that's an invalid choice, to be clear. Again, my argument is that there's a very solid case for Holy Knight as Bernie's best magic class. I don't feel this is true for any other character.

34 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

So I would say that it's closer to "if you want a unit with Vengeance/Encloser/Rescue/Physic, go Holy Knight Bernie. If you want to trade Encloser for 0.5 more squares of Rescue range and some weak magic offence, you can go Dark Knight instead".

To be comprehensive, Dark Knight gets a +2 Magic modifier, while Holy Knight only gets +1. So it's actually a 0.75 space margin. Incidentally, Valkyrie has a +4 Magic modifier, so if you certify Bernie as a Warlock at level 20, and then go Valkyrie, by level 30, you'll have a 1.25 tile advantage in Rescue range over going Bishop at 20 and Holy Knight at 30. Of course, this is undercut by Valkyrie only having 6 move where Dark/Holy Knight have 7.

I'm gonna say it's a mistake to call Bernadetta's magical output "weak", too. Sure, we've acknowledged her Magic stat sucks, but a whole lot more goes into calculating damage. She gets 5 from Persecution Complex, 5 from Black Tomefaire, 6 from Fiendish Blow, and let's say 4 from a modest Magic-boosting battalion. That's 20 points of damage before accounting for her Magic stat (likely bolstered by Magic +2 and class mods) and spell Might. It's not at all unreasonable for Bernadetta to have an effective attack power of 40, even with a weak spell like Thunder or Blizzard, right after making it into Warlock. Not "top-tier", to be sure, but more than mere chip against low-Res foes. Combine this with a speed growth of 50% (tied with Lysithea, faster than all other "obvious offensive mage candidate" units) and a solid Strength stat (for weight offset purposes), and Bernadetta will be more likely to double than most other Mages (especially if she gets Darting Blow en route to Dark Flier, but that's its whole own thing). Strictly using spells, it's not crazy to envision scenarios where Bernadetta out-damages units like Annette or Dorothea.

I'll concede that Holy Knight has its place, if you want a Bernadetta who Rescues and uses physical combat arts. I haven't personally played her in such a way. I tend to min-max with my builds: when I wanted a "Vengeance Bernadetta", I made her go Paladin, since that's the class where she's doing the most damage with Vengeance. Of course, if you can secure the same one-shots at 1 HP with Holy Knight, then that class could be considered functionally as effective in that role (albeit with 1 less movement), while adding Rescue utility. But if I want a Bernadetta who's principally there for Rescue support, then of course I'm going to try to get her Magic as high as I can (at least, while also teaching her Rescue and getting her into a highly-mobile class). Even 1 extra tile can enable 1-turn boss-kills that would otherwise be impossible. That's the angle I'm approaching it from, so does that all make sense?

Edited by Shanty Pete's 1st Mate
Clarification.

1 hour ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I don't think that's an invalid choice, to be clear. Again, my argument is that there's a very solid case for Holy Knight as Bernie's best magic class. I don't feel this is true for any other character.

I think that there's a decent case that it's Byleth's best magic class as well. It's a good deal easier for them to meet the Faith certification requirement for Holy Knight than the Reason certification requirement for Dark Knight; not only do they have the budding talent in Faith, but they'll also get a decent amount of passive gain through choir practices over the course of the game. And ease of certification matters more on Byleth than on most characters, since the needed faculty training competes directly with other ways to spend exploration points.

With their budding talent, they also have an incentive to actually use offensive white magic and therefore actually benefit from White Tomefaire. With the avoid from White Magic Avoid +20 and Faith Lv 5 (or 4) and healing from faire-boosted Nosferatu and Crest of Flames, Byleth ends up being surprisingly durable.

It's far from the best Byleth build, but I think it's at least as good as any other magic Byleth build.

There's also an argument to be made for it being Anna's best magic class. She has access to the same pass/rescue combination that Bernadetta does, except she gets Rescue earlier and has a better magic stat to back it up. Her weakness in Reason also gives her a hard time certifying into Dark Knight, and her fairly sparse Reason spell list (nothing picked up between D+ and A) doesn't offer much incentive to struggle through it. She's still fairly lacklustre overall, but that's just due to her being a mediocre unit, not due to any deficiencies of Holy Knight.

1 hour ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Combine this with a speed growth of 50% (tied with Lysithea, faster than all other "obvious offensive mage candidate" units) and a solid Strength stat (for weight offset purposes), and Bernadetta will be more likely to double than most other Mages (especially if she gets Darting Blow en route to Dark Flier, but that's its whole own thing). Strictly using spells, it's not crazy to envision scenarios where Bernadetta out-damages units like Annette or Dorothea.

I know that being worse than some other unit doesn't make a unit bad, but I do want to wave the flag a little bit here for magic Ingrid. She has a very similar spell list to Bernadetta (losing Thunder and Rescue but gaining Seraphim) but has better Speed and Magic stats. Unless you're specifically looking to do pass/rescue shenanigans then I'd much prefer her to Bernadetta.

7 hours ago, lenticular said:

I know that being worse than some other unit doesn't make a unit bad, but I do want to wave the flag a little bit here for magic Ingrid. She has a very similar spell list to Bernadetta (losing Thunder and Rescue but gaining Seraphim) but has better Speed and Magic stats. Unless you're specifically looking to do pass/rescue shenanigans then I'd much prefer her to Bernadetta.

Very true - Ingrid has the spells and the stats to make for a much better "fast mage" than Bernadetta. Getting Seraphim, and having a Riding boon, makes her own case for Holy Knight. Although, she'd usually do better in Dark Knight or Dark Flier.

2 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Very true - Ingrid has the spells and the stats to make for a much better "fast mage" than Bernadetta. Getting Seraphim, and having a Riding boon, makes her own case for Holy Knight. Although, she'd usually do better in Dark Knight or Dark Flier.

Dark Flier Ingrid only gives a notable boost to her speed. Something that she’s already proficient with whereas her damage output would still be a bit lackluster. But you could still go for fiendish blow, darting blow, bowbreaker and alert stance+ if you want her to punish snipers and bow knights for attacking her. She can even equip thyrsus or even caduesus staff to give her more range. 

Dark Knight Ingrid feels a bit better for her in terms of damage output since they offer a magic stat boost while dark flier doesn’t. But less flexibility by comparison in terms of movement though they both have 7 move. Uncanny Blow however offers +30 hit during PP which is huge for Blizzard, Thoron, and Fimbulvetr to connect. Movement +1 is also nice

3 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Out of all the characters who learn Seraphim, I think she's the only one who doesn't have a really compelling reason to prefer Dark Knight. Edelgard has a weakness in Faith, Lysithea and Hapi both have killer Reason lists, Sylvain and Balthus both have budding talents in Reason. Maybe Balthus would be closest of those to prefering Holy Knight over Dark Knight but he's not really set up well for either one of them.

For Ingrid, I think it's a pretty close call between Dark and Holy Knight. I think I would generally prefer to have -faire boosting Seraphim over Thoron and Fimbulvetr, but I'd probably prefer it boosting Blizzard over Nosferatu. Though a lot of that would depend on doubling thresholds. If I had the speed/strength/abilities to be able to reliably double with Blizzard but not with Nosferatu, then Black Tomefaire would be a clear choice, but if I were able to double with both or neither of them, then it's much less clear. And lest we forget, Holy Knight does come with Terrain Resistance, while Dark Knight doesn't. Which isn't exactly a huge boost, but it's better for most characters than Dark Tomefaire.

3 hours ago, lenticular said:

Out of all the characters who learn Seraphim, I think she's the only one who doesn't have a really compelling reason to prefer Dark Knight. Edelgard has a weakness in Faith, Lysithea and Hapi both have killer Reason lists, Sylvain and Balthus both have budding talents in Reason. Maybe Balthus would be closest of those to prefering Holy Knight over Dark Knight but he's not really set up well for either one of them.

My room-temperature take is, certify in both Dark Knight and Holy Knight, and use whichever class makes the most sense for the map at hand. Like, Lysithea usually prefers Dark Knight, but swapping over to Holy Knight for the Marianne paralogue just makes sense. And there's no way Lysithea "Warp at B Faith and Mastermind" von Ordelia won't have the ranks for HK, if she had them for DK.

3 hours ago, lenticular said:

For Ingrid, I think it's a pretty close call between Dark and Holy Knight. I think I would generally prefer to have -faire boosting Seraphim over Thoron and Fimbulvetr, but I'd probably prefer it boosting Blizzard over Nosferatu. Though a lot of that would depend on doubling thresholds. If I had the speed/strength/abilities to be able to reliably double with Blizzard but not with Nosferatu, then Black Tomefaire would be a clear choice, but if I were able to double with both or neither of them, then it's much less clear. And lest we forget, Holy Knight does come with Terrain Resistance, while Dark Knight doesn't. Which isn't exactly a huge boost, but it's better for most characters than Dark Tomefaire.

Ironically, Bernadetta is among the few characters I'd count as generally harmed by Terrain Resistance. Normally, putting her onto damaging tiles is a non-lethal way to activate Persecution Complex and power up Vengeance. That's not an option in Holy Knight. Of course, there are plenty of quicker, better options (like a Guard adjutant or Blessing gambit), but it's still kind of funny to think about.