The Fire Emblem 3 Houses General Questions Thread

31 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

My room-temperature take is, certify in both Dark Knight and Holy Knight, and use whichever class makes the most sense for the map at hand. Like, Lysithea usually prefers Dark Knight, but swapping over to Holy Knight for the Marianne paralogue just makes sense. And there's no way Lysithea "Warp at B Faith and Mastermind" von Ordelia won't have the ranks for HK, if she had them for DK.

That's a fair point. I wonder how many different maps would actually really benefit from a switch to Holy Knight for Seraphim users. For Part 1, you're unlikely to have anyone at level 30 but there'd be Sothis's paralogue, Yuri and Constance's paralogue, and Chapter 9. Then Part 2 has Marianne's paralogue and Hubert's paralogue, and probably Chapter 21 of Silver Snow. I was also going to suggest Claude's paralogue, except that the Giant Crawlers all seem to have Monster Effect Null, and Chapters 17 and 18 of Crimson Flower, except that most of the monster enemies there have antimagic barriers. Though at least CF Ch. 18 has a use for Terrain Resistance too. That's all that I can really think of. Am I missing any?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm inclined to argue that Dark Knight Lysithea is still better for Holy Knight even on Marianne's paralogue. Seraphim with White Tomefaire gets +4 damage (adjusting for the magic modifier), but you lose 6 damage off of Lysithea's dark spells, potentially costing you one-hit-kill damage against the bishops, dark bishops, and snipers there. And in general, I just don't value Seraphim's raw damage that much. It's not going to do as much damage as a good two-hit physical, and has trouble doubling even mid-range-speed monsters like the wild demonic beasts (20 speed) due to its 10 weight. Now, Seraphim is an extremely useful spell there... but that's because it can blow open a monster's barrier from range 3+, starting a chain of counter-negation until they're stunned. But at that point it's only doing +2 extra damage with White Tomefaire, which is close to meaningless.

6 hours ago, lenticular said:

That's a fair point. I wonder how many different maps would actually really benefit from a switch to Holy Knight for Seraphim users. For Part 1, you're unlikely to have anyone at level 30 but there'd be Sothis's paralogue, Yuri and Constance's paralogue, and Chapter 9. Then Part 2 has Marianne's paralogue and Hubert's paralogue, and probably Chapter 21 of Silver Snow. I was also going to suggest Claude's paralogue, except that the Giant Crawlers all seem to have Monster Effect Null, and Chapters 17 and 18 of Crimson Flower, except that most of the monster enemies there have antimagic barriers. Though at least CF Ch. 18 has a use for Terrain Resistance too. That's all that I can really think of. Am I missing any?

Those are the only maps I can think of. Obviously, maps like Shambala and CF 16 have Titanus who are vulnerable to be magic, but they have plenty of ordinary human enemies as well. Same with the Imperial Palace maps.

1 hour ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I'm inclined to argue that Dark Knight Lysithea is still better for Holy Knight even on Marianne's paralogue. Seraphim with White Tomefaire gets +4 damage (adjusting for the magic modifier), but you lose 6 damage off of Lysithea's dark spells, potentially costing you one-hit-kill damage against the bishops, dark bishops, and snipers there. And in general, I just don't value Seraphim's raw damage that much. It's not going to do as much damage as a good two-hit physical, and has trouble doubling even mid-range-speed monsters like the wild demonic beasts (20 speed) due to its 10 weight. Now, Seraphim is an extremely useful spell there... but that's because it can blow open a monster's barrier from range 3+, starting a chain of counter-negation until they're stunned. But at that point it's only doing +2 extra damage with White Tomefaire, which is close to meaningless.

You may be right. Personally I tend not to fight the human enemies on that map, except insofar as they come over and harass me, but everyone is gonna play it their own way. Thinking on it, White Tomefaire, on its own... just isn't very good. Which generally comes from offensive White magic being scarce (excepting Nosferatu) and bad (excepting Seraphim). Hence Holy Knight just feeling like "Dark Knight, but worse".

Yeah, if you just move everyone north through the forest at the start you may only fight like 2-3 human enemies (possibly as few as one?). I tend to like sending my mounted units around the long way, though. Plus you get a Hexlock Shield, and while I'm not sure how useful I consider that (since you're guaranteed to already have another from either version of Chapter 13), I do enjoy the feeling of getting all major treasure objectives from a map. If you really end up fighting almost no human enemies (or if we shift the discussion to Hubert's paralogue, where you outright don't), then Holy Knight does pull ahead, but... still not by very much IMO. It may well not be worth the 3000 gold to certify in it, but any discussion of the 3H gold economy gets into murky waters.

I realize I missed replying to your earlier post. Probably not worth getting into the details of Bernie's magic damage, but:

On 1/26/2022 at 8:32 PM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I'll concede that Holy Knight has its place, if you want a Bernadetta who Rescues and uses physical combat arts. I haven't personally played her in such a way. I tend to min-max with my builds: when I wanted a "Vengeance Bernadetta", I made her go Paladin, since that's the class where she's doing the most damage with Vengeance. Of course, if you can secure the same one-shots at 1 HP with Holy Knight, then that class could be considered functionally as effective in that role (albeit with 1 less movement), while adding Rescue utility. But if I want a Bernadetta who's principally there for Rescue support, then of course I'm going to try to get her Magic as high as I can (at least, while also teaching her Rescue and getting her into a highly-mobile class). Even 1 extra tile can enable 1-turn boss-kills that would otherwise be impossible. That's the angle I'm approaching it from, so does that all make sense?

Yeah, I think this makes sense. I suspect that compared to you, I do tend to favour more versatile characters/builds; I view 3H as a game where the more tools I have, the more likely I'll be able to find a solution to a tough situation.

You're correct to note that Paladin optimizes Vengeance better, and it's fine to play Bernie that way, but personally my issue with Vengeance is that there are frequent situations I don't find it useful (i.e. I haven't yet been able to, or don't wish to, have Bernie at low HP, or can't reach an enemy to hit at melee), so it's important to me she can do something else. Hence Bow Knight over Paladin; you lose a bit of damage off Vengeance, but you gain a huge-range Encloser and linked attacks, allowing Bernie to contribute even when Vengeance is off the table. IMO that's her best class. Holy Knight is interesting in that you give up some of that range and move (as well as making the build more expensive) for Rescue and Physic.

As for Bernadetta who is principally there for Rescue support, I wouldn't do that either, because Bernadetta has less magic (and thus Rescue range) than Constance and Flayn by a lot, so I'd use one of them instead. I suppose in the case of no-DLC CF, she's your only option, granted. I also don't enjoy boiling Fire Emblem down to everyone having one trick they can use to enable a one-turn boss kill, but again, personal preference there. I view Rescue as another cool thing Bernadetta (or Constance, or Flayn, or Anna) can do, not the sole or decisive trick in their toolkits. A hypothetical character with 13+60% magic growth (and poor stats otherwise), and a magic kit consisting solely of Fire/Bolganone/Heal/Nosferatu/Rescue might well see decent use in LTCs and speedruns, but I'd personally consider such a character to be quite bad.

2 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I would argue that I generally wouldn't want my Seraphim users to be attacking the human enemies on that map anyway. Why waste a turn killing one of the humans (which many other units can do) when I could instead be taking down monster barriers with Seraphim (which not many units can do)? Except that we're splitting hairs at this point. Maybe there's a marginal advantage to be had from Holy Knight here, but only a marginal one. And that's pretty much the class in a nutshell. There are a few cases where it might be very slightly better than other options but a lot of cases where it is clearly quite considerably worse than other options.

• 2 months later...
56 minutes ago, 5PointGordin said:

What are the best Battalions for Swordmasters and Fortress Knights?

Not sure about Swordmasters, but Fortress Knights will want to run Duscur Heavy Soldiers (I dunno what other battalions have particularly high Prt - only that its +10 Prt is as good as it gets). Of course, it being route-exclusive is something to consider...

Edited by Shadow Mir

12 hours ago, 5PointGordin said:

What are the best Battalions for Swordmasters and Fortress Knights?

As Mir said, Duscur Heavy Soldiers offer +10 Protection on AM. Empire Heavy Soldiers give +9 and Black Eagle Heavy Axes give +8 on CF, while Alliance Pavise Co. give +8 on VW. Outside of these, the best you can get is +7 Protection.

As for Swordmasters, it depends on what you're going for with the build. Fraldarius Soldiers offer +20 Crit, while Brigid Hunters and Gautier Knights each offer +20 Avoid. If you just want to hit harder, then the likes of Goneril Valyries, Golden Deer Cavalry, Duscur Heavy Soldiers, and Bergliez War Group each give +8 Attack.

17 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Not sure about Swordmasters, but Fortress Knights will want to run Duscur Heavy Soldiers (I dunno what other battalions have particularly high Prt - only that its +10 Prt is as good as it gets). Of course, it being route-exclusive is something to consider...

Yeah, this battalion is pretty great. I gave it to my Great Knight Sylvain and his bulk on enemy phase winds up being pretty good.

Route exclusivity doesn't matter to me. On all future maddening runs, I plan to use NG+ lol.

6 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

As Mir said, Duscur Heavy Soldiers offer +10 Protection on AM. Empire Heavy Soldiers give +9 and Black Eagle Heavy Axes give +8 on CF, while Alliance Pavise Co. give +8 on VW. Outside of these, the best you can get is +7 Protection.

As for Swordmasters, it depends on what you're going for with the build. Fraldarius Soldiers offer +20 Crit, while Brigid Hunters and Gautier Knights each offer +20 Avoid. If you just want to hit harder, then the likes of Goneril Valyries, Golden Deer Cavalry, Duscur Heavy Soldiers, and Bergliez War Group each give +8 Attack.

I wanted to try a more enemy phase oriented build. One nice thing about Swordmasters over Falcon Knights / Wyverns that I never really considered before is that they have access to some pretty strong battalions in addition to guard adjutants.

Either high avoid battalions or high prt battaltions seem like they'd be nice.

On 4/15/2022 at 3:26 PM, 5PointGordin said:

I wanted to try a more enemy phase oriented build. One nice thing about Swordmasters over Falcon Knights / Wyverns that I never really considered before is that they have access to some pretty strong battalions in addition to guard adjutants.

Either high avoid battalions or high prt battaltions seem like they'd be nice.

I like the Aegir Astral Knights for infantry Avo tanks. I so rarely have Lysithea and Ferdinand both on my runs that I only have one copy of this on my NG+ chain but it's pretty solid. Death Knight's battalion or Brigid Hunters works good too. Prt probably isn't that important because even with +10 your unit is going to get killed quick if it takes any hits especially from lance users.

Since you're doing NG+ and not trying to prove anything to anyone I'd definitely give your swordmaster quick riposte. Enemy swordmasters all have it so why shouldn't yours? 🙂

2 hours ago, Bylift said:

I like the Aegir Astral Knights for infantry Avo tanks. I so rarely have Lysithea and Ferdinand both on my runs that I only have one copy of this on my NG+ chain but it's pretty solid. Death Knight's battalion or Brigid Hunters works good too. Prt probably isn't that important because even with +10 your unit is going to get killed quick if it takes any hits especially from lance users.

Since you're doing NG+ and not trying to prove anything to anyone I'd definitely give your swordmaster quick riposte. Enemy swordmasters all have it so why shouldn't yours? 🙂

Giving QR to my Felix doesn't sound like a bad idea (he has S-Rank in Fist & Bows, so War Master seems like it'd be doable.

And yeah, once I get my first Golden screen, I don't plan on dealing with turtling hell that the first few chapters are lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Doing research for a challenge run and I've got some technical questions:

• The Saint Statues are not additive with their bonuses right? So for instance, when you upgrade from Faith +1 to Faith +2, that's a total bonus of 2 points rather than 3, correct?
  • When dismounted in a mounted class, do you earn riding/flying experience still? Or do you need to remain mounted to earn those extra points from battle?
  • I'm looking for the battalion Seiros Brawlers. I can see it in the Battalion guild of both NG files I have left on my system (which are Verdant Wind and Silver Snow routes). Can anybody confirm this battalion is available at any point on the Blue Lions route as well? Remember I'm asking about a NG save, not NG+. And even better do you know when it is made available? According to this list it ought to appear starting in Chapter 3, but I can confirm it's not there in practice. At least, not on Blue Lions. In my own notes, I wrote down that the shops have updated inventory in Chapter 8, maybe that's when it appears? Or even post-timeskip.
  • Around the time I stopped playing, I saw some interesting writeups about how the Greenhouse can spit out higher quality seeds. If anybody has such a post bookmarked, I'd like to take a look. Most guides I'm looking at just explain how the onscreen Yield rating doesn't tell you a whole lot, and how to optimally save scum for stat boosters. But I'm most interested in how gardening can be used to squeeze more professor experience early game, and for that you need a steady supply of high grade seeds.
  • Do Dining Hall events (doubled support gains with certain units), apply to both Today's Special and Share a Meal options?

4 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

The Saint Statues are not additive with their bonuses right? So for instance, when you upgrade from Faith +1 to Faith +2, that's a total bonus of 2 points rather than 3, correct?

I feel like they are additive, but I can't confirm that anytime soon.

When dismounted in a mounted class, do you earn riding/flying experience still? Or do you need to remain mounted to earn those extra points from battle?

You should need to be mounted to gain the respective ranks, that would make sense.

I'm looking for the battalion Seiros Brawlers. I can see it in the Battalion guild of both NG files I have left on my system (which are Verdant Wind and Silver Snow routes). Can anybody confirm this battalion is available at any point on the Blue Lions route as well? Remember I'm asking about a NG save, not NG+. And even better do you know when it is made available? According to this list it ought to appear starting in Chapter 3, but I can confirm it's not there in practice. At least, not on Blue Lions. In my own notes, I wrote down that the shops have updated inventory in Chapter 8, maybe that's when it appears? Or even post-timeskip.

Again I can't confirm, but with that being an E rank battalion, I don't see why it wouldn't be available from the start. Maybe the Blue Lions is weird for some reason.

Around the time I stopped playing, I saw some interesting writeups about how the Greenhouse can spit out higher quality seeds. If anybody has such a post bookmarked, I'd like to take a look. Most guides I'm looking at just explain how the onscreen Yield rating doesn't tell you a whole lot, and how to optimally save scum for stat boosters. But I'm most interested in how gardening can be used to squeeze more professor experience early game, and for that you need a steady supply of high grade seeds.

The main site has a section that explains the calculation. I probably should have kept active record of stuff like this since I've had so many playthroughs, oh well.

https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/monastery/greenhouse/

Do Dining Hall events (doubled support gains with certain units), apply to both Today's Special and Share a Meal options?

Yes it applies to both, the characters that get a boost will have an indicator for both options. There's something that I can actually answer.

• The Saint Statues are not additive with their bonuses right? So for instance, when you upgrade from Faith +1 to Faith +2, that's a total bonus of 2 points rather than 3, correct?
  • When dismounted in a mounted class, do you earn riding/flying experience still? Or do you need to remain mounted to earn those extra points from battle?

1- they’re not additive. 

2- If you dismount, you do not receive riding/ flying xp. 

3- re: early gardening: in your very first explore, check the blue spots north of the dining hall next to some barrels near the armor knight who blocks you from entering the stables. It can yield either Angelica or Nordsalat seeds.  Either is 5-star and will produce useful cooking ingredients, more seeds of the same kind, and various other stuff. Angelica gives you a Rocky burdock and Nordsalat gives you speed carrots.

This drop in the first explore is one that I will save scum because getting a 5-star gardening seed makes a difference in professor xp and it’s hard to find Angelica or Nordsalat seeds otherwise. 

What kind of challenge are you thinking of doing?

3 hours ago, Bylift said:

3- re: early gardening: in your very first explore, check the blue spots north of the dining hall next to some barrels near the armor knight who blocks you from entering the stables. It can yield either Angelica or Nordsalat seeds.  Either is 5-star and will produce useful cooking ingredients, more seeds of the same kind, and various other stuff. Angelica gives you a Rocky burdock and Nordsalat gives you speed carrots.

This drop in the first explore is one that I will save scum because getting a 5-star gardening seed makes a difference in professor xp and it’s hard to find Angelica or Nordsalat seeds otherwise. 

A guaranteed five star drop sounds like a great tip. And yeah since seeds tend to drop copies of themselves, I guess it makes sense to plant your best stuff early, rather than wait until later in the game when you can cultivate those seeds harder. 

What kind of challenge are you thinking of doing?

Maddening, Gauntlets only. I've had this run in the back of my mind for years, with a ton of rules and restrictions to make it more dynamic and interesting than a run where you recruit the 12 best grappler/war masters and just autopilot through the game. If I can get it off the ground, I'll post all the juicy details in the let's play subforum. Trying to explain why I'm so interested in the E rank Seiros Brawlers battalion, for instance, would probably be more moon logic than a thread like this ought to allow. 

Weird question. I noticed it my previous run and my current run but the A Question of Conduct subquest where Byleth fights in the arena isn't showing up.

I have all the DLC and as far as I am aware there are no requirements for the quest to show up outside of it being unlocked at chapter 8. Anyone know what could be wrong?

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone! I've read the TOS so hopefully this question doesnt violate it!

I would like to edit growth rates of some characters, but I don't have money to get a switch so I'm playing a rom on Yuzu. All methods I've found so far involve extracting files from a legit fire emblem 3H game, any way I can do that with a rom?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by BakamanSAB

• 4 weeks later...

Hey this has been bugging me for years. Does anybody know what determines a monster's AOE attack hit rate and damage? You never get a battle forecast or aggro line indicating what kind of damage or accuracy to expect. You'd think it's treated like a gambit, but monsters have zero charm almost all of the time. And I've seen plenty of scenarios where Byleth gets hit with his massive charm while other units with very little charm manage to dodge it. 

Monster AoE attacks are not gambits; they run the same sorts of damage/accuracy calculations as their normal attacks. In order to see info on them, bring up the monster's status screen, and then there's a button you can press (I forget which one, sorry) and it will switch the Atk/Hit from their normal weapon to their staggering blow, and see its Atk/Hit/Crit, exact range, and extra effects if any. Typically they have +5 atk compared to their normal damage.

Also, in case you haven't noticed this yet: monsters can't move and use a staggering blow on the same turn, and will always use their staggering blow on someone already in range. If nobody is in range they will move and use their normal attack instead.

41 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Monster AoE attacks are not gambits; they run the same sorts of damage/accuracy calculations as their normal attacks. In order to see info on them, bring up the monster's status screen, and then there's a button you can press (I forget which one, sorry) and it will switch the Atk/Hit from their normal weapon to their staggering blow, and see its Atk/Hit/Crit, exact range, and extra effects if any. Typically they have +5 atk compared to their normal damage.

The button is ZR. Same thing you'd press to check a unit's battalion. Awesome. That takes a lot of the mystery out of these attacks. 

• 3 months later...

Why can't I make my main character a brawler?

She was really good with the gauntlets, so it's basically all I used her for. But now, she's reached level 20, but I don't have the option to certify her as a brawler. What's going on? It's available as an option on plenty of the other characters. Are there certain classes she just can't access? Is that random, or will it change with time? 

Any help would be appreciated.

2 hours ago, Genre Fantasy said:

She was really good with the gauntlets, so it's basically all I used her for. But now, she's reached level 20, but I don't have the option to certify her as a brawler. What's going on? It's available as an option on plenty of the other characters. Are there certain classes she just can't access? Is that random, or will it change with time? 

Genderlocked classes.

10 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Hey it's me again. I heard there's a way to save scum whether people will accept your tea time invitation. Can somebody fill me in? I don't take rejection well

All I seen says it´s RNG.

On 10/4/2022 at 8:56 AM, Genre Fantasy said:

If you have the DLC, there's a brawling class women can use, War Cleric. Requires some faith investment as well. If you don't... yeah it sucks. Burn genderlocks to the ground.

Regarding tea times, I don't have anything to add, but it shouldn't be too hard to investigate? I would guess that it could be any of the following:

• the game rolls tea time honestly, at the time you press the "invite to tea" button. In that case, saving right before and reloading should work. This is my guess.
  • the game rolls tea time results when you start the exploration. In that case, you'd need to save at the "Byleth's bedroom" screen and reload there.
  • the game rolls tea time results at the start of the month (same time it rolls certification results). This would be by far the most annoying if true, because you'd need to load a save file from the end of the previous month.

• 3 months later...

I'm a complete new player starting a maddening run and have a couple of questions

-Fliers are the strongest classes followed by War Master and Bow Knight?
-The thread somewhere here said to make Dimitri a Bow Knight?
-What does brawling do? seems kinda redundant, but i guess the skills are good?
-What do 3 little unlit stars in the status display do?
-Are there fixed growths in fe3h?
-Should i mb start with Engage?

thanks!