The Fire Emblem 3 Houses General Questions Thread

7 minutes ago, Mordred said:

I'm not sure what you mean by the 3 little unlit stars you're talking about?

Some characters, like Marianne for example, will have three stars near a skill when instructing them.

On those: Like was stated earlier, when tutored enough, those unlock a budding talent, and that skill turns into a boon for the character in question. Though some of those budding talents are a letdown. Like damn near every magic based budding talent.

Edited by Shadow Mir

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Some characters, like Marianne for example, will have three stars near a skill when instructing them.

On those: Like was stated earlier, when tutored enough, those unlock a budding talent, and that skill turns into a boon for the character in question. Though some of those budding talents are a letdown. Like damn near every magic based budding talent.

Oh budding talents, I was thinking he meant in the level up screen so I got confused.  I think some magic based budding talents are good if they are on an actual magic unit like Dorothea, but yeah they usually end up quite lackluster.

7 minutes ago, Mordred said:

Oh budding talents, I was thinking he meant in the level up screen so I got confused.  I think some magic based budding talents are good if they are on an actual magic unit like Dorothea, but yeah they usually end up quite lackluster.

The problem is, many of the magic based budding talents are on units with blatant physical inclinations. Like Felix (that's the one that sticks out like a sore thumb to me, because he gets Black Magic Crit +10... when his reason spell list is laughably dry, consisting only of Thunder and Thoron. And the one class he gets that has magic and swords is a trap). Also, Dorothea, despite being a magic unit, got screwed budding talent wise, because White Magic Avoid +20 is laughable itself; what the hell is expected with that?? Because Nosferatu sucks, and equipping Heal and Physic to take "advantage" of that basically renders her a sitting duck.

On 2/9/2023 at 7:49 PM, Mordred said:

YOOOO, glad to see someone making the maddening jump!

haha ye, although I'll be honest i followed the advice of vikingsfan92 and lenticular and toned it down to Hard, the game is constantly throwing curved ball long-term planning mechanics at me, and the actual fighting is literally just in the way. .. It's been nothing but Monastery Emblem for the last couple of days, i've headaches trying to figure it all out lol. And given the game is set up for multiple playthroughs, browsing fe3h.com ( great site btw thx!, been looking at it) equals in  time investment to  simply playing a  house route on hard and have it all explained in the game. 

Although i suppose part of the problem is because Blue Lions is such a messy house. I'm looking at GD and their characters Leone, Hilda, Marianne, Lisenthia, Claude. Plug and Play! set and go in 5mins. Meanwhile Blue Lions everyone has a caveat.. Even Dimitri has a bane in Axes.. like why.... then there is the grunts overload byleth,felix,dedue,silvain, and the "best units" mercedes, ashe, ingrid, annette.... I'm sure it can all be worked out, but for me it's a bit too much lol.

I think i'll go with this trimmed-down in-house version

Spoiler

1. M!Byleth WarMaster (SuperHealerAdjutant Flayn)
2. Dimitri Paladin (SuperHealerAjdutant Dedue)
3. Catherine WyvernLord
4. Shamir Sniper
5. Mercedes Bishop

byl+dim, cat+sha superlink

6. Felix WarMaster (HealerAdjutant Annette)
7. Ingrid Dancer
8. Sylvain WyvernLord
9. Ashe Sniper
10 Lisentia Gremory

fel+ing+syl superlink

Which brings me to the question, do healer adjutants heal battalions? if so i'll change Dedue to Guard duty, i mean on hard nobody's gonna double me, so healers look like a better choice.

Really wanted to squeeze in Annette, but dark flier is dlc locked.. battalion is dlc locked... Hapi is dlc locked..

Ashe hurts my eyes, both visually and gameplay-wise, Cyril is a straight upgrade, but visually not so much.. If i replace Ashe with Cyril, in addition to bows, should i use Axes or Lances on him?

On 2/9/2023 at 4:04 PM, haarhaarhaar said:

If you're the kind of player who's happy not to use things that are made available to you, then it won't matter when you do the DLC. Hard/Classic for the DLC side story is a good level of challenge, though not as hard as early-game Maddening. Considering story events, you should attempt it after Ch. 4 and before Ch. 5 - it's an alternate timeline but that's roughly where it fits with the main game. Although the goodies/characters you get from clearing side story chapters (as well as Abyss facilities) can all become available to you in Ch. 2-3 if you'd rather get them early.

Thx, I'm perfectly fine with having the +2 Mov item collecting dust in the inventory. Seen worse. xD I was more worried about story spoilers. People are saying it spoils things and i have no way of checking obviously. So you are saying the DLC timeline is between cp 4 and 5? Perfect, that's where i am rn almost, it would unlock Hapi, Constance, the flying battalion and the dark flier class. Once i understand the monastery....

Edited by Ncknck

5 hours ago, Ncknck said:

Which brings me to the question, do healer adjutants heal battalions? if so i'll change Dedue to Guard duty, i mean on hard nobody's gonna double me, so healers look like a better choice.

Nope. Battalion endurance can only be replenished at the battalion guild. Also, swordmasters and assassins are gonna double you on hard unless you're one of the handful of superfast units.

On adjutants: Only certain classes (Monk, Priest, Bishop, and Holy Knight) can be healing adjutants.

5 hours ago, Ncknck said:

Although i suppose part of the problem is because Blue Lions is such a messy house. I'm looking at GD and their characters Leone, Hilda, Marianne, Lisenthia, Claude. Plug and Play! set and go in 5mins. Meanwhile Blue Lions everyone has a caveat.. Even Dimitri has a bane in Axes.. like why.... then there is the grunts overload byleth,felix,dedue,silvain, and the "best units" mercedes, ashe, ingrid, annette.... I'm sure it can all be worked out, but for me it's a bit too much lol.

As someone who started with the Deer, I found it was the other way around; anyone that isn't Ashe (who, by the way, is a contender for worst student unit imho) was plug and play, whereas many of the Deer had a caveat; Hilda's performance with axes is iffy, Warlock does nothing for Lysithea, etc...

Edited by Shadow Mir

7 hours ago, Ncknck said:

Seen worse. xD I was more worried about story spoilers. People are saying it spoils things and i have no way of checking obviously. So you are saying the DLC timeline is between cp 4 and 5? Perfect, that's where i am rn almost, it would unlock Hapi, Constance, the flying battalion and the dark flier class. Once i understand the monastery....

There are technically light gameplay spoilers - skills and classes that you won't have access to in the main game at Ch. 4/5 are available in the side story, and you'll see a map that gets reused later in the game. There are also a couple of pieces of dialogue between characters that point to events in the future, although I don't think you'll learn anything that would spoil the story. Without going into specifics, after the Ch. 4 story battle you learn about a particular mechanic (tied to the story) that reappears in Cindered Shadows, so as long as you do CS after that then you should be fine.

EDIT: Now I think about it, there's a different mechanic that the game properly introduces to you in the Ch. 5 story battle, but you'd encounter it in CS as well. Story-wise, the DLC still takes place after Ch. 4, but the mechanic might take you by surprise if you haven't done Ch. 5. I don't know how much you know about the gameplay, so that's worth flagging.

Edited by haarhaarhaar

On 2/13/2023 at 10:02 AM, Ncknck said:

haha ye, although I'll be honest i followed the advice of vikingsfan92 and lenticular and toned it down to Hard, the game is constantly throwing curved ball long-term planning mechanics at me, and the actual fighting is literally just in the way. .. It's been nothing but Monastery Emblem for the last couple of days, i've headaches trying to figure it all out lol. And given the game is set up for multiple playthroughs, browsing fe3h.com ( great site btw thx!, been looking at it) equals in  time investment to  simply playing a  house route on hard and have it all explained in the game. 

Aw 😞 lol that's fine.  I would actually say that Monastery Emblem is very much early game but I understand.  Glad to see you like fe3h.com, I actually use it way more than Serenesforest for when I need to look up anything fe3h related.

On 2/13/2023 at 10:02 AM, Ncknck said:Although i suppose part of the problem is because Blue Lions is such a messy house. I'm looking at GD and their characters Leone, Hilda, Marianne, Lisenthia, Claude. Plug and Play! set and go in 5mins. Meanwhile Blue Lions everyone has a caveat.. Even Dimitri has a bane in Axes.. like why.... then there is the grunts overload byleth,felix,dedue,silvain, and the "best units" mercedes, ashe, ingrid, annette.... I'm sure it can all be worked out, but for me it's a bit too much lol.

Well I think this is more of a, "The grass looks greener on the other side."  I honestly find Golden Deer harder earlier on as you don't have a super strong early game units in GD.  Leonie is usually the best early game unit on GD and she doesn't compare at all to Edelgard and Dimitri.  Blue Lions also has Dedue who is very good early and Annette having a good amount of utility with her rallies to allow Dedue/Dimitri tank really easily.  I guess Blue Lions more or less has difficulty with late game I guess if you keep them all in house due to Ashe being TrAshe and in house Ingrid's base stats being absolute doodoo.  I guess Mercedes is also pretty bad as she can't get to Physic by Chapter 2 compared to Marrianne and Lindhart, but it's not the biggest deal due to having Dedue and Dimitri as early game tanks.  Dimitri's bane in axes is definitely the worse part about him but he has so many positives that it doesn't honestly matter.  Either ways I don't think any house is particularly better than the other, well maybe Black Eagles is the best base house just because of Edelgard being really stupid, Bernie's early utility + dmg, and the route just being shorter than other routes.  Mind you this is for Maddening so you can find some units redundant in Hard and you can easily use in house Ingrid in Hard without many problems.

I think i'll go with this trimmed-down in-house version

Reveal hidden contents

1. M!Byleth WarMaster (SuperHealerAdjutant Flayn)
2. Dimitri Paladin (SuperHealerAjdutant Dedue)
3. Catherine WyvernLord
4. Shamir Sniper
5. Mercedes Bishop

byl+dim, cat+sha superlink

6. Felix WarMaster (HealerAdjutant Annette)
7. Ingrid Dancer
8. Sylvain WyvernLord
9. Ashe Sniper
10 Lisentia Gremory

fel+ing+syl superlink

I would say Guard Adjuncts are 100% better than Heal Adjuncts so you should change both Heal Adjuncts into Guard Adjuncts, especially for Dimitri if you are going the Wrath n' Vantage combo as Heal Adjunct would actually kill him more than help him.

I would also note that reaching rank requirements for other classes as a Wyvern Lord is extremely easy so you should also get Sylvainn Paladin if you find that you want extra damage with Lances over Flying Mv, this depends on the map and on Hard the extra damage is prolly redundant so maybe you don't have to lol.

Ashe hurts my eyes, both visually and gameplay-wise, Cyril is a straight upgrade, but visually not so much.. If i replace Ashe with Cyril, in addition to bows, should i use Axes or Lances on him?

Yea TrAshe sucks and Cyril is pretty okay.  You're gonna want to train up his Axe ranks and Lance ranks eventually anyways to reach Wyvern Lord requirements but Lances less so.  Cyril will most likely just want to use bows mostly as he has Pointblank Volley, you could also make him into a Bow Knight and ignore the Wyvern Lord requirements but that's more personal preference.  You could also just make him a Sniper which makes any unit good instantly once they master the class.

Another heads up (I don't think this counts as a spoiler, but will bracket it just in case)

Spoiler

For a couple of maps in the game, you can field up to 12 units. It's not as if you need to field 12 units to clear those maps, but it's worth considering since you're planning your party early on.

On the adjutants question, what type you want is basically dependent on build. Even on Hard, you will definitely have enemies who can double your frontliners at various points in the game (although that won't be an issue if your units master War Master). Anyway, guard adjutants certainly aren't bad for a lot of the game. Healing adjutants will likely proc the most often, but running Bishop Mercedes and Gremory Lysithea will mean you're covered for healing for a lot of the game too. Attack adjutants are the least reliable proc, but there's every chance that the people you're running adjutants on don't take damage or even counters, depending on their build, so they might end up being the most useful. 

You don't have to think too hard about it though. It's pretty easy to get any unit to D+ in a particular rank, where they can certify for an intermediate class that provides the right kind of adjutant. Even if you change your mind, it won't come back to bite you.

2 hours ago, Mordred said:

Cyril is pretty okay.  You're gonna want to train up his Axe ranks and Lance ranks eventually anyways to reach Wyvern Lord requirements but Lances less so.  Cyril will most likely just want to use bows mostly as he has Pointblank Volley, you could also make him into a Bow Knight and ignore the Wyvern Lord requirements but that's more personal preference.

Since @Ncknck isn't fielding Dedue or Bernadetta long-term, Cyril is the only remaining source of Vengeance. Which might be too finicky for a beginner (and I personally far prefer Point-Blank Volley to it) but I can't deny how powerful it is. Perhaps worth considering raising Lances on Cyril?

I see little reason to recommend Vengeance over Point-Blank Volley. While I don't doubt you can find some enemies that Vengeance will kill and PBV will not, the latter not needing you to drop your HP makes it far preferable IMO. Additionally, Vengeance is most useful in early chapters before other ways of ORKOing come online, Cyril starting with E lances means he misses out on most of the time that it's most effective in Bernadetta's or Dedue's hands... and more to the point he already has another method of ORKOing, or at least will as soon as you make a little bow investment that can be completed before his first story map.

11 hours ago, Mordred said:

I guess Blue Lions more or less has difficulty with late game I guess if you keep them all in house due to Ashe being TrAshe and in house Ingrid's base stats being absolute doodoo.

Eh, to be fair, Ashe is fine in the later stages of the game because everyone is competent as a Wyvern Lord or with Hunter's Volley. There's not much reason to stick with him that long, but if you do, he's fine (not good, but fine). And Ingrid is outright good once she gets rolling and reaches Intermediate tier, getting good speed + Pegasus + fastest path to Alert Stance(+). I think her supposed poor start is rather exaggerated, to boot, but she's certainly nothing special then.

I do think the Lions have more difficulty with lategame than the Deer on average but I'd argue that's because the lategame Azure Moon maps are just tougher, more than any differences between the units. Do agree with your general statement that no one house really feels significantly better than the others overall.

12 hours ago, Mordred said:

I would say Guard Adjuncts are 100% better than Heal Adjuncts so you should change both Heal Adjuncts into Guard Adjuncts, especially for Dimitri if you are going the Wrath n' Vantage combo as Heal Adjunct would actually kill him more than help him.

I would add to this that only certain classes can be guard adjutants. Specifically, Brawler, Grappler, Armored Knight, Fortress Knight, Great Knight, Armored Lord, and Emperor (those last two are moot since the one unit with them is forced anyways).

23 hours ago, Mordred said:

Aw 😞 lol that's fine.  I would actually say that Monastery Emblem is very much early game but I understand.  Glad to see you like fe3h.com, I actually use it way more than Serenesforest for when I need to look up anything fe3h related.

I'm 26 hours in, chapter 4, and had a grand total of .. 4 battles. If this is still early game, i'm scared.

That having said,  Lysithea is recruited, Catherine is support rank B(or wants to, she is gated for some reason) and she, cyril and shamir wait for the chapter unlock/level feed. I think i'm pretty much done with the monastery, just unlocked the tea party thing. In fact i'm not sure what to do with the excess of Monastery Action points now..

23 hours ago, Mordred said:

I would also note that reaching rank requirements for other classes as a Wyvern Lord is extremely easy so you should also get Sylvainn Paladin if you find that you want extra damage with Lances over Flying Mv, this depends on the map and on Hard the extra damage is prolly redundant so maybe you don't have to lol.

Ohh, interesting, haven't thought of map specific classes, but ye on hard it's redundant ( so far for me), i'm considering skipping brigant on everyone even, just to cut down on grind. This is would actually synergize with Paladin and +1 mov in riding. Silvain has a boon to riding too. Pretty cool lol.

21 hours ago, haarhaarhaar said:

Cyril is the only remaining source of Vengeance.

Ye, i wanted Cyril to check up on vengeance. Thinking of like charging in,  vengeance, and then teleport him back with Lysethea, or warp, vengeance, and then run away with canto, is this how you guys do it?, looks pretty fun haha. The ultimate hit&run.

21 hours ago, haarhaarhaar said:

For a couple of maps in the game

Trimmed the party down to 10 for hard just to do not deal with this, but how does it work anyway, the 2 extra party members wont see the light of the day until the map allows to, so how do they level, rotating the roster? being adjutants?

planning 

im so sick of planning xD gimme action!

Edited by Ncknck

1 hour ago, Ncknck said:

Ye, i wanted Cyril to check up on vengeance. Thinking of like charging in,  vengeance, and then teleport him back with Lysethea, or warp, vengeance, and then run away with canto, is this how you guys do it?, looks pretty fun haha. The ultimate hit&run.

Yeah that would work - Canto on a flying class is best for this (when isn't it hehe), although you might find Rescue more useful than Warp depending on the situation (you aren't raising any unit that has Rescue, but you do get units for free who learn Rescue so up to you).

What I would also be doing if I ran Vengeance (full disclosure I don't like/use it much) is using certain gambits where necessary, such as Blessing (target unit survives a lethal attack with 1HP) and Impregnable Wall (target unit can only deal or suffer 1 damage per attack) if my Vengeance user needed protection. Unless you get unlucky with ambush spawns, you should otherwise generally be able to keep your Vengeance user safe, it just requires a bit more thought and care. AM also has more enemies with long-range attacks than other routes, and they normally target things they can kill, so that's something to take into account.

Longer-term, you could also be thinking about building your Vengeance Cyril so that he has some survivability on enemy phase, but it isn't a must and might detract from the Vengeance build. Just another option though.

1 hour ago, Ncknck said:

Trimmed the party down to 10 for hard just to do not deal with this, but how does it work anyway, the 2 extra party members wont see the light of the day until the map allows to, so how do they level, rotating the roster? being adjutants?

Pretty much, yeah. There are a couple of maps with 11 deployment slots (including Byleth/lord) and a paralogue or two with 12 slots, and then the last two maps of the game also have 12 slots. So mild rotation/adjutant-ing is how I make sure nobody falls behind assuming I'm fielding 12 at endgame. It's not essential to field 12 if you'd rather not think about it - but you do get a couple of items in Part 1 which help with experience gains, and you can still raise 12 units very effectively if you're so inclined.

Edited by haarhaarhaar

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2023 at 10:11 PM, Dark Holy Elf said:

I see little reason to recommend Vengeance over Point-Blank Volley. While I don't doubt you can find some enemies that Vengeance will kill and PBV will not, the latter not needing you to drop your HP makes it far preferable IMO. Additionally, Vengeance is most useful in early chapters before other ways of ORKOing come online, Cyril starting with E lances means he misses out on most of the time that it's most effective in Bernadetta's or Dedue's hands... and more to the point he already has another method of ORKOing, or at least will as soon as you make a little bow investment that can be completed before his first story map.

Eh, to be fair, Ashe is fine in the later stages of the game because everyone is competent as a Wyvern Lord or with Hunter's Volley. There's not much reason to stick with him that long, but if you do, he's fine (not good, but fine). And Ingrid is outright good once she gets rolling and reaches Intermediate tier, getting good speed + Pegasus + fastest path to Alert Stance(+). I think her supposed poor start is rather exaggerated, to boot, but she's certainly nothing special then.

I do think the Lions have more difficulty with lategame than the Deer on average but I'd argue that's because the lategame Azure Moon maps are just tougher, more than any differences between the units. Do agree with your general statement that no one house really feels significantly better than the others overall.

I think that you're going to want Cyril to have some Lance Rank anyways since you get Point Blank Volley so quickly anyways.  I think Vengeance normally ends up out damaging Point Blank Volley for a bit and then falls behind (Not 100% sure as I don't use Cyril often so high chance I'm just spewing bs on that part) , either ways you have Dedue in Blue Lions and there's really no reason not to use him when he's actually a good unit and is way better at using Vengeance.  I think Rengor says something about Cyril with Vengeance once but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Yea Ashe ends up in kind of a weird spot for me as I just find that Shamir replaces anything he'd want to do so easily.  At most I just end up using him as utility or as a free key.  I think on Ingrid is that she lags behind when you can recruit other units by Chapter 6 to flat out replace her completely.  Ofc there is that map...  So I usually end up training her a bit but not often investing in her too much.

I agree with that for sure.  I would say that some houses feel better than others at times but that's mostly due to playstyle, preference, and maps.

On 2/15/2023 at 12:40 PM, haarhaarhaar said:

Yeah that would work - Canto on a flying class is best for this (when isn't it hehe), although you might find Rescue more useful than Warp depending on the situation (you aren't raising any unit that has Rescue, but you do get units for free who learn Rescue so up to you).

What I would also be doing if I ran Vengeance (full disclosure I don't like/use it much) is using certain gambits where necessary, such as Blessing (target unit survives a lethal attack with 1HP) and Impregnable Wall (target unit can only deal or suffer 1 damage per attack) if my Vengeance user needed protection. Unless you get unlucky with ambush spawns, you should otherwise generally be able to keep your Vengeance user safe, it just requires a bit more thought and care. AM also has more enemies with long-range attacks than other routes, and they normally target things they can kill, so that's something to take into account.

When is Canto bad period.  I literally put Canto on everyone possible on FE Engage and it opens up so many options.  CANTO IS AWESOME.  I think on the topic of Rescue vs Warp it's mostly just preference and also what strategies you plan on a map.  Sometimes you don't want to plan so you go kinda monkey and then you need to Rescue while Warp may allow you to reduce your turn count significantly by sniping certain targets.

Honestly I like early recruit Bernie on AM and VW, you don't need Bernie to be on 1 HP to one shot.  Generally she just needs to take on hit and she can run in with a Training Lance and one shot someone.  The only times she isn't one shotting is if it's something like Death Knight where you need more set up to actually kill him with Bernie.  With Dedue, he can easily just run in as a tank with Annette Rallies (so he doesn't get doubled) and should be in good Vengeance range from the get go after tanking.  You also don't really need to people running around with Vengeance and Cryil doesn't even have Battalion Wrath like Bernie and Dedue.  Ngl Bernie is also not using Vengeance at all late game, well maybe a bit but she isn't looking to do it like she was in the earlier chapters.

4 hours ago, Mordred said:

I think that you're going to want Cyril to have some Lance Rank anyways since you get Point Blank Volley so quickly anyways.  I think Vengeance normally ends up out damaging Point Blank Volley for a bit and then falls behind (Not 100% sure as I don't use Cyril often so high chance I'm just spewing bs on that part

As I said, Vengeance may outdamage PBV in some circumstances, but outside of weird challenge runs, who cares? PBV can kill most things and doesn't require you to drop your HP. That makes it much more flexible. Realistically I don't want to use both, because they both serve the same role of killing things at range 1, and I want Curved Shot and a repositional skill for other situations. I'd rather focus Cyril's early skill training on getting his authority out of the doghouse and obviously working on bows first for PBV then Silver, and he also needs to stat working on his advanced class requirements pretty quickly (e.g. flight if he's going Wyvern Rider, since he starts at E in that too).

4 hours ago, Mordred said:

Yea Ashe ends up in kind of a weird spot for me as I just find that Shamir replaces anything he'd want to do so easily.  At most I just end up using him as utility or as a free key.  I think on Ingrid is that she lags behind when you can recruit other units by Chapter 6 to flat out replace her completely.  Ofc there is that map...  So I usually end up training her a bit but not often investing in her too much.

Yeah Shamir is obviously better than Ashe. I'm just arguing that Ashe shouldn't be used as an argument against the Lions lategame. If you stick with him that long (and it's more than fair not to), he'll be fine by then.

Chapter 6 is when Ingrid starts getting really good, because Pegasus Knight OP and she's the only Lion well-suited to it (besides F Byleth). Of course you can recruit others to play that role around that time, but I find they don't really replace Ingrid that well. Petra comes closest and even then she notable disadvantages in the direct comparison: can't benefit from Sylvain/Felix +might supports, starts with D flying instead of [whatever Ingrid has at the time of Petra's recruitment] so is behind on the race to Alert Stance+, lower charm, only supports two Lions and they're two of the least-used. Granted she also has some advantages like higher strength/speed and Battalion Wrath if you want to use that (I usually don't), as well as her axe/bow boons. You could use both though! There's an argument to not use Ingrid to focus early exp into fewer people and then push her into a Felix/Sylvain adjutant role, but I'd consider her one of the most-worth-levelling Lions overall myself.

2 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

As I said, Vengeance may outdamage PBV in some circumstances, but outside of weird challenge runs, who cares? PBV can kill most things and doesn't require you to drop your HP. That makes it much more flexible. Realistically I don't want to use both, because they both serve the same role of killing things at range 1, and I want Curved Shot and a repositional skill for other situations. I'd rather focus Cyril's early skill training on getting his authority out of the doghouse and obviously working on bows first for PBV then Silver, and he also needs to stat working on his advanced class requirements pretty quickly (e.g. flight if he's going Wyvern Rider, since he starts at E in that too).

Yeah Shamir is obviously better than Ashe. I'm just arguing that Ashe shouldn't be used as an argument against the Lions lategame. If you stick with him that long (and it's more than fair not to), he'll be fine by then.

Chapter 6 is when Ingrid starts getting really good, because Pegasus Knight OP and she's the only Lion well-suited to it (besides F Byleth). Of course you can recruit others to play that role around that time, but I find they don't really replace Ingrid that well. Petra comes closest and even then she notable disadvantages in the direct comparison: can't benefit from Sylvain/Felix +might supports, starts with D flying instead of [whatever Ingrid has at the time of Petra's recruitment] so is behind on the race to Alert Stance+, lower charm, only supports two Lions and they're two of the least-used. Granted she also has some advantages like higher strength/speed and Battalion Wrath if you want to use that (I usually don't), as well as her axe/bow boons. You could use both though! There's an argument to not use Ingrid to focus early exp into fewer people and then push her into a Felix/Sylvain adjutant role, but I'd consider her one of the most-worth-levelling Lions overall myself.

Yeah I do think it's mostly redundant to aim for both Vengeance and PBV, I was just thinking you'd prolly get his lance ranks up anyways for class requirements.

I wasn't truly trying to argue that Blue Lions had poor lategame and honestly any unit is good lategame imo just due to the way the class system works, a unit being good usually ends up being their earlier stat growths + weapon art access/skills.  I was just trying to see the reason why the other poster was thinking that the other houses looked better than Blue Lions.

I think this more or less depends on what you plan on with the house and what your ending team will be, Ingrid is definitely not a must replace but I enjoy the base stats of Maddening auto leveling so I end up placing more value on that.  The difference in stats is substantial between Ingrid and Petra that I usually end up deeming it worth enough to use one over the other.  Your looking at a difference of 15 Str for Petra to Ingrid's 13.75 Str average (As a Brigand) and Petra's Spd is 20 compared to Ingrid's 16.4 Spd average (As Pegasus Knight).  The only stat in house Ingrid surpasses Petra in is Res at a whopping 13.05 compared to Petra's 4 Res.  This is also all assuming Ingrid is at level 11 by Chapter 6, the same level auto recruit goes up to.  Of course to replace Ingrid you do have to contend on lost time to raise Ranks and there are the later trade offs so I can see Ingrid being better in the long run.

Edited by Mordred

• 1 month later...
On 10/1/2019 at 5:31 PM, Seafarer said:

Nah, they aren't.

I did a fast re-run of Azure Moon (skipping all cutscenes), and Sothis didn't show up as an option when the time came to choose S-support. So I picked Linhardt.

On 10/1/2019 at 10:43 PM, Ertrick36 said:

@Seafarer Now I don’t know what the answer is, since multiple people are now saying conflicting things.

Can you provide a screenshot of the options at the bottom of the list?

Well, I'm *counts* three and a half years late on this, but... here you go:

The worst part is that I tweeted this over two years ago and still didn't come back to answer this immediately (and this screenshot is from a different run, too).

• 4 months later...

Hey, so lately I found myself in a weird headspace where I could hardly remember Three Houses, assumed it was graphically inferior, and had the audacity to call Engage an equally good game to it.

So the other day I went and purchased a copy, and now I'm playing through it for my third time (Dimitri and Edelgard routes last time, so I'm doing Rhea now). Despite having cleared Hard Mode in Engage recently, I decided I wanted to enjoy this at a leisurely pace so I picked Normal.

Suffice to say it only took me one night to wake up from my little bout of insanity. While Three Houses doesn't have the Emblem power-ups, so far I haven't found the battles less compelling. What it lacks, it compensates for with mechanics like a better-tiered class system, combat arts, battalions, weapon levels that are meaningful and intuitive, teaching, etc. You're given more control and agency in managing the growth and specialization of your roster. And for all this, I'm still learning and haven't explored how abilities work yet.

And then there's the hubworld. I figured Garegg Mach wouldn't particularly interest me since I've played through it twice already, but I was wrong. It still looks amazing and holds up very well compared to the explorable maps of Engage, and there's always something fun going on in a given month.

I'll even say that the best cutscenes in Three Houses are as gorgeous as the best cutscenes in Engage. Which I didn't expect myself to say because I only remembered the poorly animated cartoon ones, but after seeing the Catherine scene last night it's the inescapable conclusion. The only thing I can really say Engage does better is the 3D rendered faces; some faces are really, really jarring in the Fodlan series. The experience of playing Engage and Three Hopes at the same time, and contrasting Clanne or Alfred with post-timeskip Claude's ugly mug, was one of the reasons my opinion of Three Houses plummeted in the first place (that and Three Hopes's boring camp). But upon replaying it this time, I've gotten used to the faces pretty quick and they don't bother me.

Anyways, for this playthrough I've got a few questions to help me get started.

1. Are there scenes with Rhea prior to the timeskip that it's possible to miss? If so, how do I get them? 

2. Like in Engage, do acquired abilities need to be equipped?

3. At roughly what point does Lysithea become recruitable? I've been trying but so far nothing. My Faith level is maybe D, and Byleth's about Level 11 or 12.

4. How about Cyril?

5. Engage didn't really have equippables like shields. How does that work in Three Houses? Are they just held items that boost stats at the cost of weight? Can anybody use a shield or just armored units?

6. For the Black Eagles roster (minuses Edelgard and Hubert), how do they measure up in terms of sacred relics? Who's compatible with what weapon?

2 hours ago, Hrothgar777 said:

1. Are there scenes with Rhea prior to the timeskip that it's possible to miss? If so, how do I get them? 

2. Like in Engage, do acquired abilities need to be equipped?

3. At roughly what point does Lysithea become recruitable? I've been trying but so far nothing. My Faith level is maybe D, and Byleth's about Level 11 or 12.

4. How about Cyril?

5. Engage didn't really have equippables like shields. How does that work in Three Houses? Are they just held items that boost stats at the cost of weight? Can anybody use a shield or just armored units?

6. For the Black Eagles roster (minuses Edelgard and Hubert), how do they measure up in terms of sacred relics? Who's compatible with what weapon?

1. Just the support with Rhea. If you're not doing Crimson Flower, getting C support unlocks another paralogue after the time support, so it's lucrative to do that much at least. All three ranks of the support are pre-timeskip only. And the only way to boost support points with Rhea is to spam gifts at her and invite her to tea. I believe these supports must also be manually selected from the Supports sub menu. The game won't stop you to say "Rhea wants to speak with you" like with other characters. Also, individual ranks are time gated. C support has to be reached before the end of chapter 9, or the opportunity is lost forever. B support has to be activated before the end of chapter 11, and A rank has to be achieved before the end of chapter 12. 

2. There are Five equip able ability slots, which are separate from the 1-3 class skills that you can't modify. To unequip abilities, you go into inventory (a lot of new players miss this). If you're full up and earn a new one in the middle of battle, the game will not ask if you want to swap it out for something. So if you know you're about to get something really useful in the next battle, leave a fresh slot open by unequipping something you want less.

3. A student's recruitment requirements go down as Byleth's support level with them increases. Lysithea cares about Byleth's magic stat and Faith rank. D Faith and 9 magic is sufficient if you can get her to B support. 

4. What about Cyril? If you want to use him, the Best time to recruit him is chapter 5 or 6. You don't want to wait too late since his level scaling is way worse than other characters. You want him to pick up some stats for free by class changing (particularly from Armor knight which he only needs a little instruction in Armor to certify as). The appeal of Cyril is that his skill proficiencies and combat arts are top of the line good. Point Blank Volley on a Wyvern or a bow knight is generally his best class, but on normal difficulty he'll work as anything that's not a mage.

5. Shields are like any accessory in that you can only equip one at a time. If the speed drop is going to hinder your next combat, you can unequip it when selecting Items in battle. The Trade command can also be used to manipulate items on someone that's already moved, but bear in mind that when you exit the Trade menu, that unit will auto equip the weapon and accessory that is highest in inventory order. But I wouldn't stress about these tips unless you were playing Maddening.

6. Relics will tell you what crests are the most compatible. But simply having a crest at all lets you use anything without repercussions. Having the correct crest will open up a new combat art with that weapon. Or if it's a relic accessory, it will provide some other bonus like health regen or a chance to reduce damage.

21 hours ago, Hrothgar777 said:

4. How about Cyril?

Since you said you're on Rhea route (which I presume = Black Eagles but not doing the Edelgard event to go to Silver Snow), Cyril is sadly still not recruitable until C12, where he will be tragically behind on skills and having leveled up with Commoner growths a bunch.  Game could arguably use some sort of "lock me into Silver Snow / Crimson Flower" option once you've beaten Eagles once which would let you get Cyril at his normal time.

In general, don't worry too much about compatibility for the Eagles.  The Empire seems to have more descendants of the Children of the Goddess side of the war 1,000 years ago rather than the Ten Elites (since they followed Seiros rather than Nemesis), so they have a bunch of "Sacred Weapons" where the theme is generally increased HP regen (to contrast with the damaging special attacks from the Ten Elites?), but HP regen isn't generally very important in 3H.  Linhardt is technically compatible with the Caduceus relic you get from doing Seteth & Flayn's paralogue, but increased regeneration isn't very helpful on a backline healer.  Spear of Assal from the same paralogue also works well with Ferdinand (Crest of Cichol), and I guess the increased regen can be relevant because it'll keep Ferdinand topped off for his passive?  Nothing that standing next to Dorothea wouldn't do, though.  There's also Ochain Shield which has a Cichol compatibility, but that is insanely late game when there's very little left to play for (and requires recruiting Lysithea and doing Ferdinand + Lysithea's paralogue).  Caspar and Dorothea don't have crests.  Bernadetta has a crest but the last thing she wants is regen, given her passive rewards staying below 100% HP.

Edited by SnowFire

• 3 weeks later...

I've recently started playing Three Houses for the first time (choosing the Blue Lions), and I've got a few questions:

Is there an official term for the implied canon classes for each of the students? (eg: Felix as a Swordmaster, Ashe as a Sniper, etc.) I'm trying to find the list for it on Serenes Forest's main site, but I'm not sure what section it's under. I really want to stick with characters' implied canon classes as much as possible.

Speaking of which, I thought Ashe was implied to be a Sniper, which he said he wanted to be (and I trained him on that path). However, later on, he asked about wanting to be trained as a Wyvern Knight. How did this happen? Did me training him in axes and flying along with bows have something to do with this development? Do characters have multiple implied canon classes?

In terms of maximizing the amount of skill experience obtained, is it better to use up all of a unit's motivation with Instruct, or is it better to just use up motivation until 50% or 75% of their motivation remains? The tutorials recommended against having units at 0% motivation, saying that they learn better with high motivation, but Auto-Instruct uses up all of a unit's motivation, so I'm getting conflicting messages as to what's the better approach.

Aside from using a Bookmark, is there any way to soft reset/go back to the main menu? Fire Emblem Engage had that Options -> System -> Quit selection (at least, I think that's how it went), and I really want to know the Fire Emblem Three Houses equivalent of it. It's getting pretty tedious to have to close out of Three Houses, load it up again, and go through a bunch of loading times.

12 minutes ago, Randoman said:

Speaking of which, I thought Ashe was implied to be a Sniper, which he said he wanted to be (and I trained him on that path). However, later on, he asked about wanting to be trained as a Wyvern Knight. How did this happen? Did me training him in axes and flying along with bows have something to do with this development? Do characters have multiple implied canon classes?

Every unit has multiple possible pathways that they can potentially ask for training in. If you want to go with the most canon options (if there's an actual term for this, I don't know it) then the best bet is probably to go with the classes that the characters show up as if you face them as enemies when playing other routes. For Ashe, he is indeed a Sniper in this case.

I don't know of anywhere that has a full list of these, but:

• Ashe: Sniper
  • Ingrid: Falcon Knight
  • Sylvain: Paladin
  • Felix: Swordmaster
  • Dedue: Fortress Knight
  • Annette: Warlock
  • Mercedes: Bishop

Note that these aren't all optimal choices or what I'd recommend. They're just the classes the characters use when you face them as enemies.

For instructing, I don't know of any reason not to use up all the unit's motivation. It's possible that there's some hidden mechanic that I'm not aware of, but I doubt it. They learn better if they're at high motivation when you start instructing them (higher chance of great and perfect instruction, lower chance of bad instruction) but this is set for the whole session based on their starting motivation. I guess that if you have trouble restoring motivation between instruction then maybe there's an argument for not using all the character's motivation, but I've never had a problem with that.

(No clue about soft reset since that's not something I use, so someone else can answer that for you.)

22 hours ago, Randoman said:

[...]

In terms of maximizing the amount of skill experience obtained, is it better to use up all of a unit's motivation with Instruct, or is it better to just use up motivation until 50% or 75% of their motivation remains? The tutorials recommended against having units at 0% motivation, saying that they learn better with high motivation, but Auto-Instruct uses up all of a unit's motivation, so I'm getting conflicting messages as to what's the better approach.

Aside from using a Bookmark, is there any way to soft reset/go back to the main menu? Fire Emblem Engage had that Options -> System -> Quit selection (at least, I think that's how it went), and I really want to know the Fire Emblem Three Houses equivalent of it. It's getting pretty tedious to have to close out of Three Houses, load it up again, and go through a bunch of loading times.

I believe what the tutorial means to say is to only start instruction on units with full motivation, not to then not use it all for instructing. It still costs you 1 instruction point whether you instruct a unit 4 times for full motivation, or twice for a 50%.

IIRC, if you press Left/Right/Plus/Minus together you return to main menu. (Make sure you really want to do that though, the game doesn't ask for confirmation, and if you forgot to save for a while it could set you back more than you expected.)

Characters have a few classes they'll ask for as suggestions.  And yeah, I remember that line about staying away from 0 motivation, and I dunno what it was about either.  I do think there's a mechanic that only appears very, very early game that seems to increase the chance of "bad" instruct results?  If they start with less than 100 motivation, or if they don't have a C-rank support with Byleth yet, or something else abstruse?  Beats me, I just know that once you get your motivation train rolling, the bad results become very rare.

Re lenticular's list, enemy Sylvain can also appear as a Great Knight...  although this isn't real wise as Great Knight is probably worse than Paladin for Sylvain, and also harder to qualify for. 

And yes, the Plus/Minus L/R will soft reset you.