The Fire Emblem 3 Houses General Questions Thread

What do you think are the must-have abilities for Claude? I was planning to take him through mercenary and assassin for vantage and lethality. Now I'm considering brigand or warrior too. I also don't know about the value of seal defense on wyvern rider, or if authority is worth it on a flying unit. What abilities do you all think are the most useful? Just to clarify, I will be ending with him in his unique class. I just want to know the best abilities to take there.

Edited by Vitezen

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Tribute said:

The map with the warp tiles had him retreat to be replaced with another boss when you get close - was that a time trigger that can be rushed down? 

No? The objective of the map with the warp tiles was to either route the enemy or defeat the Death Knight. I was struggling with routing the enemy so I went for beating Death Knight so he definitely doesn't retreat when you get close to him.

2 hours ago, Vitezen said:

What do you think are the must-have abilities for Claude? I was planning to take him through mercenary and assassin for vantage and lethality. Now I'm considering brigand or warrior too. I also don't know about the value of seal defense on wyvern rider, or if authority is worth it on a flying unit. What abilities do you all think are the most useful? Just to clarify, I will be ending with him in his unique class. I just want to know the best abilities to take there.

I wouldn't worry too much about mastery skills, unless you're going to cheese them you're getting 2 or 3 at most in the first playthrough, and forget Advanced classes' masteries, it takes a long ass time, and it's just better to go with his unique class instead of hindering yourself for a skill you're going to get at the earliest 3 or 4 chapters short of endgame. It's really nothing like Fates/Awakening where you could min max every character's skills, just roll with what you get (and the mastery skill are not even that good, with a couple exceptions).

What I could unlock on most characters is HP+5 from Noble/Commoner (that's a given really) and the Intermediate mastery. I have yet to even get close to mastering an Advanced class, and I'm reaching average lv.30 on my party. For Claude I would say stick to Archer' anyway, you get hit increase so you can fly in, kill something at 5 range and fly out with Canto. Vantage is interesting but you have to get Swords up, which is a bit of a waste for Claude imo (since he wants to stick to Bows the most he can, while unlocking Axe talent).

Authority is always worth it unless you're Felix (and even then, I'd argue a battallion is better than 5 dmg), and Claude probably gets some very good Wyvern squad, judging by the amazing armored battallion Edelgard gets.

btw, do you actually face every student you didn't recruit? And if you do, are they replaced by equal units? Because I just had Edelgard's chapter 13 and

Spoiler

killed Ignatz (I could've let him flee but he had a Brave Bow), and I wonder if not recruiting Marianne or Leonie would've made the map more difficult.

Edited by timon

Do the unique classes I hear about have skill rank requirements?

Spoiler

I know Enlightened One doesn't, but do the Lords'?

Edited by De Geso

6 hours ago, Vitezen said:

Since Claude mostly leans towards bows, Deathblow is huge for him. You can pick that up from Brigand. Vantage isn't bad, though he can usually reposition himself, with his late game classes having Canto. Close counter is pretty obvious. Wrath combos extremely well with Vantage, but does NOT work on your turn (which sucks. It sounded amazing, but then I saw that it was enemy turn only)

Seal Defense is meh - it's better than nothing, but not amazing. Authority is not worth it at all, unless you use gambits a lot.

Lethality is one of those skills that's meh, until it suddenly isn't. At 1/4 dex, it generally hits about 5-10% for most units, which is not insignificant. Idk, that one's more personal preference. That said, Assassin also give you the combat art assassinate, so you do get two skills for one class.

If we're purely constructing a wishlist, Desperation would also be very good for him, though that would mean spending some time on riding and lances. Pavise, of course, can be used by everything, but unlike the other things listed, it's a lot harder to get.

Contrary to @timon 's point, grinding out the lower ranked class skills is pretty simple. Here's what to do:

Hold back one of the quests that's level... 11 or so. Something low level, that has at least one archer.

Wait until you get the knowledge gem (you can actually get 2 but you only need one), as it doubles your class exp.

Equip the unit you want to train with a weapon that has only one range, and give them enough of a defense boost to take no damage from the archer.

Just sit back and let the archer ping away at them. They won't gain exp, skill exp, or battalion exp, but they will gain class exp. An iron bow has 50 uses. With the knowledge gem, it only takes 25 hits to max out an intermediate class, so you can do this for 2 units per archer.

Have fun.

@Tribute It's not timed (as far as I can tell, he may leave after, like, 20 turns or something), it's based on kills. My strategy is to just leave some dudes alive and trapped in the top left, which lets you take your time and deal with him.

Edited by dragonlordsd

15 minutes ago, dragonlordsd said:

Contrary to @timon 's point, grinding out the lower ranked class skills is pretty simple. Here's what to do:

Hold back one of the quests that's level... 11 or so. Something low level, that has at least one archer.

Wait until you get the knowledge gem (you can actually get 2 but you only need one), as it doubles your class exp.

Equip the unit you want to train with a weapon that has only one range, and give them enough of a defense boost to take no damage from the archer.

Just sit back and let the archer ping away at them. They won't gain exp, skill exp, or battalion exp, but they will gain class exp. An iron bow has 50 uses. With the knowledge gem, it only takes 25 hits to max out an intermediate class, so you can do this for 2 units per archer.

Have fun.

Yeah that's what I meant by "cheesing it".

40 minutes ago, dragonlordsd said:

Lethality is one of those skills that's meh, until it suddenly isn't. At 1/4 dex, it generally hits about 5-10% for most units, which is not insignificant. Idk, that one's more personal preference. That said, Assassin also give you the combat art assassinate, so you do get two skills for one class.

I would argue that IS insignificant, and Lethality is a wasted skill slot. And Assassinate is just as worthless - if I'm going to use a combat art, I'd rather use one that adds damage than an instant kill that probably won't work (and in fact doesn't on anything that would warrant it).

Edited by Shadow Mir

3 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I would argue that IS insignificant, and Lethality is a wasted skill slot. And Assassinate is just as worthless - if I'm going to use a combat art, I'd rather use one that adds damage than an instant kill that probably won't work (and in fact doesn't on anything that would warrant it).

Depends on a lot of factors.

For a unit with low damage and high speed and dex, 10% instant kill chance against anything is pretty darn good, considering you can also use divine pulse to cheese it.

That said, I don't know if this game has the difficulty to make that strategy necessary. In past games, on higher difficulties, there were plenty of times when it was too dangerous or difficult to engage a boss normally, making free kills extremely valuable. Not sure if that's the case here.

28 minutes ago, dragonlordsd said:

Depends on a lot of factors.

For a unit with low damage and high speed and dex, 10% instant kill chance against anything is pretty darn good, considering you can also use divine pulse to cheese it.

That said, I don't know if this game has the difficulty to make that strategy necessary. In past games, on higher difficulties, there were plenty of times when it was too dangerous or difficult to engage a boss normally, making free kills extremely valuable. Not sure if that's the case here.

I'd consider Divine Pulses MUCH better used for if i [EFF!] up than trying to pray that an instant kill with a piss-poor chance of working works. Anyway, the only other FE games with instant kills were Blazing Blade, Sacred Stones (both of these were pretty easy due to enemies having poor stats; it doesn't help that in the former, the promotion item to promote a Thief into an Assassin isn't available until late in the game, and that the chapter where you get the item gives you an Assassin anyway, and that in the latter, it's just inferior to the alternate option for all three units that could access it), Awakening, and Fates (both of these had Lethality have such a low activation rate that it was never worth it. It does NOT help that in the one instance where Lethality would've actually been useful... Whoops, everything is immune).

10 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I'd consider Divine Pulses MUCH better used for if i [EFF!] up than trying to pray that an instant kill with a piss-poor chance of working works. Anyway, the only other FE games with instant kills were Blazing Blade, Sacred Stones (both of these were pretty easy due to enemies having poor stats; it doesn't help that in the former, the promotion item to promote a Thief into an Assassin isn't available until late in the game, and that the chapter where you get the item gives you an Assassin anyway, and that in the latter, it's just inferior to the alternate option for all three units that could access it), Awakening, and Fates (both of these had Lethality have such a low activation rate that it was never worth it. It does NOT help that in the one instance where Lethality would've actually been useful... Whoops, everything is immune).

Lol, yeah.

Well, in Blazing Blade and Sacred Stones, lethality was half your crit chance. Which, if you were at 60% crit chance, lethality was 30% (ie, pretty darn reliable). It also didn't require you to do any damage. So, there it was both reliable and useful.

I mean, I don't think you're wrong, per se, but I've been screwed over in the awakening days enough by surprise lethalities from my friends to take it into account.

1 hour ago, De Geso said:

Do the unique classes I hear about have skill rank requirements?

Reveal hidden contents

I know Enlightened One doesn't, but do the Lords'?

No. They are automatically obtained as part of the story.

5 hours ago, timon said:

Authority is always worth it unless you're Felix (and even then, I'd argue a battallion is better than 5 dmg), and Claude probably gets some very good Wyvern squad, judging by the amazing armored battalion Edelgard gets.

btw, do you actually face every student you didn't recruit? And if you do, are they replaced by equal units? Because I just had Edelgard's chapter 13 and

Reveal hidden contents

killed Ignatz (I could've let him flee but he had a Brave Bow), and I wonder if not recruiting Marianne or Leonie would've made the map more difficult.

Yes, he does get an insanely good wyvern battalion (+8 STR and I think +20 avoid) with probably the best AOE gambit in the game. It also only requires a C in authority (and can be used and abused in NG+).

As for your question,

Spoiler

Yes (in every route but the church route, where you only face Ashe and Lorenz). Yes.

16 minutes ago, dragonlordsd said:

Well, in Blazing Blade and Sacred Stones, lethality was half your crit chance. Which, if you were at 60% crit chance, lethality was 30% (ie, pretty darn reliable). It also didn't require you to do any damage. So, there it was both reliable and useful.

Except enemy units in those games were pretty weak, meaning more often than not, a critical hit was enough to put an enemy down. It's especially bad in Sacred Stones, where the amount of enemy types that were tough enough to possibly warrant Silencer were not only rare, they were also countable on one hand. Worse yet, even against those enemies, there were better options. Also, against bosses, the chance for Silencer to work was halved.

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

Except enemy units in those games were pretty weak, meaning more often than not, a critical hit was enough to put an enemy down. It's especially bad in Sacred Stones, where the amount of enemy types that were tough enough to possibly warrant Silencer were not only rare, they were also countable on one hand. Worse yet, even against those enemies, there were better options. Also, against bosses, the chance for Silencer to work was halved.

While the enemies were weak enough to kill with a crit, the question then becomes, are you able to kill them without a crit? Lethality basically functions as extra crit chance, so if you don't need to crit to win, then you don't need it at all. In my experience (still very early in the game), most units will have it pretty easy killing on hard. If they can't kill, then it'll take just one more unit to weaken them. That's what making me reconsider lethality, reserving it for a character I have like Ignatz, who struggles to kill due to low strength and would really want to crit more. Claude is fairly strong as is, I just want to make him better before he gets to his final class.

And thank you, @dragonlordsd and @timon for your answers so far.

Edited by Vitezen

41 minutes ago, Vitezen said:

While the enemies were weak enough to kill with a crit, the question then becomes, are you able to kill them without a crit? Lethality basically functions as extra crit chance, so if you don't need to crit to win, then you don't need it at all. In my experience (still very early in the game), most units will have it pretty easy killing on hard. If they can't kill, then it'll take just one more unit to weaken them. That's what making me reconsider lethality, reserving it for a character I have like Ignatz, who struggles to kill due to low strength and would really want to crit more. Claude is fairly strong as is, I just want to make him better before he gets to his final class.

The problem is, Lethality's chance to activate is low to the point that you're better off using an ability that's going to help most, if not all the time, as opposed to one that has a single-digit chance of working for most, if not the entire game.

38 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

The problem is, Lethality's chance to activate is low to the point that you're better off using an ability that's going to help most, if not all the time, as opposed to one that has a single-digit chance of working for most, if not the entire game.

I think the primary benefit of lethality is that it's an enemy phase ability. Your gambits, arts, and things death blow are fine, but you only attack once per turn. Lethality isn't just a small percent when you can run your unit into a crowd of enemies. On the other hand, wrath might be better, especially if paired with vantage.

25 minutes ago, Vitezen said:

I think the primary benefit of lethality is that it's an enemy phase ability. Your gambits, arts, and things death blow are fine, but you only attack once per turn. Lethality isn't just a small percent when you can run your unit into a crowd of enemies. On the other hand, wrath might be better, especially if paired with vantage.

Which would mean anything if Lethality didn't fall victim to both Awesome But Impractical and Useless Useful Ability, which it does due to its low activation rate. Also, just how many class mastery points are needed to master advanced classes, which Assassin is one of?

9 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Which would mean anything if Lethality didn't fall victim to both Awesome But Impractical and Useless Useful Ability, which it does due to its low activation rate. Also, just how many class mastery points are needed to master advanced classes, which Assassin is one of?

I did some calculations and I think I see your point now. Right now, my Claude has base 10% chance to crit. If he had lethality, that would add an additional 2%. If we make a quick guess at how he might look later in the game by doubling his stats, he'd have 20% base crit and an additional 5% with lethality. As you say, this is even worse due to the investment required to master assassin. Lethality will probably only be significant if for some reason you have a unit with high dex but low luck. I think I'll take the advice of other posters here and focus on some of the intermediate classes like mercenary, brigand, and archer instead. I would consider warrior over assassin now. Thanks for the help.

Does anybody have any information regarding how/if characters' stats and levels change during the time skip? Are they leveled up to a new base? Do their stats reach a new base? Or does the game just give them X amount of level ups and call it a day? I didn't pay much attention to my stats and levels when the time skip happened. But I think Claude's speed issues may have been fixed by his unique class. It's currently 1 under his Str stat, but I distinctly remember it trailing behind Str by six or seven pre-time skip.

36 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Does anybody have any information regarding how/if characters' stats and levels change during the time skip? Are they leveled up to a new base? Do their stats reach a new base? Or does the game just give them X amount of level ups and call it a day? I didn't pay much attention to my stats and levels when the time skip happened. But I think Claude's speed issues may have been fixed by his unique class. It's currently 1 under his Str stat, but I distinctly remember it trailing behind Str by six or seven pre-time skip.

I'm interested to know as well, I had some pretty random stuff myself (I'm quite sure some characters got 3 levels and some only 1, with no apparent logic).

On another note, I've read that 2 routes are almost the same story and map wise, can someone confirm? Specifically

Spoiler

Golden Deer and Church, I've read that you basically play the same storyline, is it true? And what should I play after Crimson Flower? I have a savefile at the BE crosspoint but I'm not sure if it's worth jumping directly into that after finishing Edel's path.

48 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

they don't change at all outside of the Lords switching classes. the first post-skip chapter was a hell of a thing for me since I had swapped out half my original class for recruits and they were way behind.