The Fire Emblem 3 Houses General Questions Thread

1 minute ago, Sid Starkiller said:

...and then there's Authority training.

How exactly would that work in-universe? "Class, today I'm gonna teach you how to boss people around."

I could see something like "war games" working for this, where the student is tasked with showing how they would direct "their troops" against an "opposing army". Even more abstractly, they could be playing literal games, like Chess or Go. Alternatively, it could be about the style of leadership - practicing public speaking, inspiring confidence, relating to the troops, etc.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So with NG+ and Skill levels, is it just the previous playthrough that gets passed, or does it assume all previous playthroughs assuming you start a NG+ chain. For example, File A Byleth gets S+ in swords, then File B swords only get to B+, an finally in File C say I want to go straight to S+ in swords, will it pass down assuming this is a NG+ chain where you complete one then move to the next. From what I understood it felt like that was the case with what I've experienced so far but I may be mistaken. Though to be fair considering the cheap method to skill farm this probably is a moot point, at least in normal and on any non-ng+ saves.

Beyond that I'm also trying to figure out what I should do for a non-ng+ maddening playthrough on which route will be the easiest to run as well as how to optimize skill gains and stat gains without being cheap most efficiently. I'm assuming though with how good CF units are (Including El's Ayrmr cheesing) that CF is probably the easiest (and shortest) of the four to do a maddening run. the main thing after that would be figuring out who would be the best recruits to pick for it (probably Lysithea and Felix as usual with optimal grinding, Lorenz too simply as an accessory to give Lysithea Thyrsus.)

15 minutes ago, Kanethedragon said:

So with NG+ and Skill levels, is it just the previous playthrough that gets passed, or does it assume all previous playthroughs assuming you start a NG+ chain. For example, File A Byleth gets S+ in swords, then File B swords only get to B+, an finally in File C say I want to go straight to S+ in swords, will it pass down assuming this is a NG+ chain where you complete one then move to the next. From what I understood it felt like that was the case with what I've experienced so far but I may be mistaken. Though to be fair considering the cheap method to skill farm this probably is a moot point, at least in normal and on any non-ng+ saves.

The whole chain is saved. I got Byleth and Caspar to have all class masteries and all S+ skills (actually Caspar's Reason is only A+, but I'll finish him off when I come back to the game after the final DLC drops).

8 hours ago, Kanethedragon said:

Okay so for all intents and purposes let's say you were saving on Slot1. You beat with S+ Swords and you save right before it does the credit roll and shows you your unit's performance and MVPs. Afterwards you are back at the start screen where you can save, copy, delete, and view the records. You select the save Slot1 and it prompts you if you want to continue (as in watch the credits roll again and check out your MVPs) or if you want to start a NG+. Say you start the NG+ and after clearing a few chapters you are still saving over Slot1. This time you go for S+ in Axes. You beat the game and save right before the credits roll and etc. Here you are back at the start screen and you (for whatever reason) copy the Save Slot1 over to Slot3. And let's say you follow the prompts again and do another play thru saving over Slot3 but this time you beat the game with Fists at S+. Credits roll and MVPs are shown. Back at home menu again.

Slot 3 remebers you did Sword, Axe, and Fist up to S+. Slot 1 only remembers you doing Sword and Axes. So if you continue from Slot1 that'll be your 3rd play thru but if you choose Slot3 that will be your 4th play thru. When you have access to the journal in your room and can buy skills, prof lv, and etc the journal will only show you what you accumulated on the slot you are in. Slot 1 will only let you re-buy Swords and Axes to S+ but Slot3 will allow you to re-rank and buy your Sword, Axe, and Fist skills. 

Also in case you are wondering, say on your first play thru you got up to S+ in Fist and beat the game. Then on the 2nd play thru you got up to only B and then beat the game. On the 3rd play thru when you access your journal, you can still buy and re-rank Fist up to S+ since that was the highest you ever achieved  and the game remembers that. (This is also assuming you are still continuing over the same save file/slot and haven't moved off of it.)

The game remembers everything you've accomplished based off the chain you are on (or slot). So if you did 9 play thrus on your 10th play thru you can re-rank your skills that improved and did back on your 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and so on. So the longer the chain the more beneficial. It also affects how much renown you are rewarded for how many play thrus you've done but that is something else all together. If at any point in time you choose not to pursue a certain skill and leave it at rank E or lower than that one time you maxed it, it won't matter since the journal remembers you've maxed it out one play thru at one point in time. Either that or it will remember however far you did get it. (Also if you get half the exp in C+ on your way to rank B but then beat the game, when you access your journal you can buy back up to C+ but that left over exp you had in the meter will have to be refilled again)

Edited by Tediz64
Added more info

6 hours ago, Tediz64 said:

Okay so for all intents and purposes let's say you were saving on Slot1. You beat with S+ Swords and you save right before it does the credit roll and shows you your unit's performance and MVPs. Afterwards you are back at the start screen where you can save, copy, delete, and view the records. You select the save Slot1 and it prompts you if you want to continue (as in watch the credits roll again and check out your MVPs) or if you want to start a NG+. Say you start the NG+ and after clearing a few chapters you are still saving over Slot1. This time you go for S+ in Axes. You beat the game and save right before the credits roll and etc. Here you are back at the start screen and you (for whatever reason) copy the Save Slot1 over to Slot3. And let's say you follow the prompts again and do another play thru saving over Slot3 but this time you beat the game with Fists at S+. Credits roll and MVPs are shown. Back at home menu again.

Slot 3 remebers you did Sword, Axe, and Fist up to S+. Slot 1 only remembers you doing Sword and Axes. So if you continue from Slot1 that'll be your 3rd play thru but if you choose Slot3 that will be your 4th play thru. When you have access to the journal in your room and can buy skills, prof lv, and etc the journal will only show you what you accumulated on the slot you are in. Slot 1 will only let you re-buy Swords and Axes to S+ but Slot3 will allow you to re-rank and buy your Sword, Axe, and Fist skills. 

Also in case you are wondering, say on your first play thru you got up to S+ in Fist and beat the game. Then on the 2nd play thru you got up to only B and then beat the game. On the 3rd play thru when you access your journal, you can still buy and re-rank Fist up to S+ since that was the highest you ever achieved  and the game remembers that. (This is also assuming you are still continuing over the same save file/slot and haven't moved off of it.)

The game remembers everything you've accomplished based off the chain you are on (or slot). So if you did 9 play thrus on your 10th play thru you can re-rank your skills that improved and did back on your 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and so on. So the longer the chain the more beneficial. It also affects how much renown you are rewarded for how many play thrus you've done but that is something else all together. If at any point in time you choose not to pursue a certain skill and leave it at rank E or lower than that one time you maxed it, it won't matter since the journal remembers you've maxed it out one play thru at one point in time. Either that or it will remember however far you did get it. (Also if you get half the exp in C+ on your way to rank B but then beat the game, when you access your journal you can buy back up to C+ but that left over exp you had in the meter will have to be refilled again)

I have some questions about this. In addition to the fact that it's kind of confusing to begin with, I think they coded this stupidly. So I have a "chain" of 5 full game clears. I picked a lot of different classes and weapon ranks in each clear that didn't match the previous one. Each time I beat the game, I was only able to buy weapon and class ranks I had unlocked from the previous run. Now, in my particular case, I was using a different "slot" for each of these saves. I can tell you with 100% confidence that it only carried over the most recent clear's unlocked weapon ranks, classes, and skills. However, grade kept carrying over for the entire chain. I had no idea the save slot had anything to do with anything, but it's pretty clearly different from using the same chain.

2 hours ago, Burklight said:

I have some questions about this. In addition to the fact that it's kind of confusing to begin with, I think they coded this stupidly. So I have a "chain" of 5 full game clears. I picked a lot of different classes and weapon ranks in each clear that didn't match the previous one. Each time I beat the game, I was only able to buy weapon and class ranks I had unlocked from the previous run. Now, in my particular case, I was using a different "slot" for each of these saves. I can tell you with 100% confidence that it only carried over the most recent clear's unlocked weapon ranks, classes, and skills. However, grade kept carrying over for the entire chain. I had no idea the save slot had anything to do with anything, but it's pretty clearly different from using the same chain.

Those two sentences I bolded are what is confusing me. Can you elaborate? Because from what I'm reading it sounds like you had 5 different play thrus going on all at once.

You have to beat the game and continue from that same save file regardless if it is in slot 1 or slot 4. Once you beat the game, reload that same file and choose to start a NG+ run. That is what it means to "chain" multiple play thrus.

Because my info contradicts your info. So let's look at what my current run is showing. Keep this one thing in mind. I didn't start recruiting any other house students aside from the one I'm playing in until this run. So in my first one I was a male avatar with golden deer. On my 2nd run I did a female golden deer play. On my 3rd run I did a male blue lions run. Now I'm on my 4th run with female avatar blue lions and I just decided I'd start playing with some yellow students. After recruiting them I'm able to re-rank their skills and back at where I left them at. Which contradicts your info since on my 3rd play thru I didn't even touch the yellow students so their weapon skills should not have been able to be re-ranked or purchase since by default they wouldn't have rank any of their skills other than just two of them. 

If you want to switch to PM just hit me up so we can figure out what is going on. Cause I will admit I'm confused based off how you worded your sentences so I need some clarification. 

@Burklight Out of curiosity, how many "S" Supports do you have? If you chained correctly and chose a different person each run, you should have all your "S" Supports available for your current run.

Also, check your playtime. Your playtime continues to accumulate as the chain progresses. So, say each route is about 50 hours, if you are on your 3rd route and your playtime is less than 100, something may be wrong.

NG+ only works in one, continuous chain. So, you will have to play the routes in order, one at a time, in order to keep the NG+ bonuses.
-- You cannot be playing multiple routes at once for the NG+ bonuses as each will count as a separate chain.
-- The NG+ "stamp" is not an indicator that gives you all the NG+ unlocks. If you cleared Black Eagles and Blue Lions in separate saves and try to play Golden Deer in NG+, you will either have BE or BL unlocks, but not both.
-- Make sure you use the latest "clear" file so you get the benefits of the entire chain. If you accidentally use an older "clear save," your last playthrough will not count.

5 hours ago, Sire said:

@Burklight Out of curiosity, how many "S" Supports do you have? If you chained correctly and chose a different person each run, you should have all your "S" Supports available for your current run.

Also, check your playtime. Your playtime continues to accumulate as the chain progresses. So, say each route is about 50 hours, if you are on your 3rd route and your playtime is less than 100, something may be wrong.

NG+ only works in one, continuous chain. So, you will have to play the routes in order, one at a time, in order to keep the NG+ bonuses.
-- You cannot be playing multiple routes at once for the NG+ bonuses as each will count as a separate chain.
-- The NG+ "stamp" is not an indicator that gives you all the NG+ unlocks. If you cleared Black Eagles and Blue Lions in separate saves and try to play Golden Deer in NG+, you will either have BE or BL unlocks, but not both.
-- Make sure you use the latest "clear" file so you get the benefits of the entire chain. If you accidentally use an older "clear save," your last playthrough will not count.

I did all that. My renown accumulated the way it should. This would obviously not happen if I did something stupid like start two separate NG+ off the same clear file and assume they were connected. I did not play all routes at once. I played on after the other, and started a NG+ from the clear file of the previous. I have 8 S rank supports I think.

This is just out of curiosity... how are crests passed down onto children? What determines if they have a major or minor Crest? If two parents have different crests what decides the Crest of the child? Do they get two crests? 

30 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

This is just out of curiosity... how are crests passed down onto children? What determines if they have a major or minor Crest? If two parents have different crests what decides the Crest of the child? Do they get two crests? 

I believe Lindhart tells Lysithea in their C support that there's no record of anyone having been born with 2 crests, which is why he's so interested in how she got hers, etc. I don't think they go into any more detail than that, other than "it's an inherited trait".

4 minutes ago, Sid Starkiller said:

I believe Lindhart tells Lysithea in their C support that there's no record of anyone having been born with 2 crests, which is why he's so interested in how she got hers, etc. I don't think they go into any more detail than that, other than "it's an inherited trait".

Which makes it extra weird that people have a crest of Cethlean (or Cichol for that matter) since Cethlean never had children, as discussed in Linhardt and Flayn's supports.

18 minutes ago, whase said:

Which makes it extra weird that people have a crest of Cethlean (or Cichol for that matter) since Cethlean never had children, as discussed in Linhardt and Flayn's supports.

Well (maybe) just like how the avatar's father has the crest of Seiros since Rhea shared blood with him and then it manifested, Seteth and Flayn also shared blood with others? (just a wild guess)

2 minutes ago, Tediz64 said:

Well (maybe) just like how the avatar's father has the crest of Seiros since Rhea shared blood with him and then it manifested, Seteth and Flayn also shared blood with others? (just a wild guess)

That is actually a good point I had not considered, thanks!

This does raise yet another question, could Jeralt now give blood to others and give them the crest of Seiros or does it only work like that with the original blood? Flayn being kidnapped for her blood would make me say no though.

What exactly is a crest experiment? I keep hearing it brought for Lysithea and Edelgard but the specifics are unknown to me. Just that it makes a person have two crests.

Do gauntlets scale well to harder difficulties?

Edited by Jingle Jangle

2 hours ago, whase said:

That is actually a good point I had not considered, thanks!

This does raise yet another question, could Jeralt now give blood to others and give them the crest of Seiros or does it only work like that with the original blood? Flayn being kidnapped for her blood would make me say no though.

If you really want to go into conspiracy land, it almost looks like you have to get blood directly to have a major crest...

Spoiler

If you look at the list of characters who have major crests, there's only a handful of categories they can fall into. Ignoring DLC characters, you have...

People who the crest was literally named after:

Reah, Seteth, Flayn, The Wind Caller, The Immovable, Wandering Beast

People who had weird experiments done to them, or were given blood:

Byleth, Edelgard, Lysithea, Jeralt

The only two outliers here are Catherine and Felix. The former has a shady past that I don't think ever got explained, and she even outright says Rhea saved her. So she may have been given blood like Jeralt or something. Felix is the only one who doesn't fit.

1 hour ago, Jingle Jangle said:

What exactly is a crest experiment? I keep hearing it brought for Lysithea and Edelgard but the specifics are unknown to me. Just that it makes a person have two crests.

Spoilers:

Spoiler

Blood experiments performed by Those Who Slither in the Dark. That's about all I know (or at least remember) about them. 

1 hour ago, Jingle Jangle said:

I doubt it.

2 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

At the beginning they're rather weak, since nobody really has the Strength to use them really effectively. Some combat arts like One Two punch or Bombard can help out, but most users won't be great with them intially.

But as you proceed through the game and pick up skills like Deathblow, Strength +2, stronger Battalions, and Fist Faire, they start to really pack a punch. 

It's arguable worth even staying in Grappler over Warmaster for using Gauntlets because of their mastery combat art Fierce Iron Fist, which allows them to attack them 3 times in a row before an enemy counter. 

Edited by LoneRecon400

1 hour ago, LoneRecon400 said:

At the beginning they're rather weak, since nobody really has the Strength to use them really effectively. Some combat arts like One Two punch or Bombard can help out, but most users won't be great with them intially.

But as you proceed through the game and pick up skills like Deathblow, Strength +2, stronger Battalions, and Fist Faire, they start to really pack a punch. 

It's arguable worth even staying in Grappler over Warmaster for using Gauntlets because of their mastery combat art Fierce Iron Fist, which allows them to attack them 3 times in a row before an enemy counter. 

I would only disagree with the first part of your statement. They're pretty solid early game, particularly with units who can't double without them. Also the low weight with very high accuracy makes them pretty reliable early game. The main criticism most people have of gauntlets in general is their lackluster enemy phase, but maddening is centered around player phase, which gauntlets are great for.

Towards the end of my maddening BL run, Felix with Training Gauntlets+ was one of my more reliable ways to delete things.

25 minutes ago, Burklight said:

I would only disagree with the first part of your statement. They're pretty solid early game, particularly with units who can't double without them. Also the low weight with very high accuracy makes them pretty reliable early game. The main criticism most people have of gauntlets in general is their lackluster enemy phase, but maddening is centered around player phase, which gauntlets are great for.

Personally, the only part of the game where I found gauntlets worthwhile was the earlygame (I even referred to them as the Jeigan of weapon types as far as this game goes) - they lost relevance as the range lock becomes unappealing when I have to either pray I can kill whatever I'm attacking straight up or eat a very nasty counterattack. Doesn't help that most of the units that are good with gauntlets are either terrible (Caspar, Raphael) or have better options (Byleth, Catherine, Felix). Sonic says, "That's no good!".

Edited by Shadow Mir

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

Personally, the only part of the game where I found gauntlets worthwhile was the earlygame (I even referred to them as the Jeigan of weapon types as far as this game goes) - they lost relevance as the range lock becomes unappealing when I have to either pray I can kill whatever I'm attacking straight up or eat a very nasty counterattack. Doesn't help that most of the units that are good with gauntlets are either terrible (Caspar, Raphael) or have better options (Byleth, Catherine, Felix). Sonic says, "That's no good!".

Remember that time you admitted you haven't beaten the game or even played maddening mode yet? I'm going to remind you of this every time you respond to actual late game or maddening experience with whatever baseless theory you have.

7 hours ago, Burklight said:

If you really want to go into conspiracy land, it almost looks like you have to get blood directly to have a major crest...

Hide contents

If you look at the list of characters who have major crests, there's only a handful of categories they can fall into. Ignoring DLC characters, you have...

People who the crest was literally named after:

Reah, Seteth, Flayn, The Wind Caller, The Immovable, Wandering Beast

People who had weird experiments done to them, or were given blood:

Byleth, Edelgard, Lysithea, Jeralt

The only two outliers here are Catherine and Felix. The former has a shady past that I don't think ever got explained, and she even outright says Rhea saved her. So she may have been given blood like Jeralt or something. Felix is the only one who doesn't fit.

Catherine hails from House Charon, implying she's a distant descendant. No weird expirement with her. When she says Rhea "saved" her, it's both literal and also giving her purpose in life, since she grew up unsatisfied with her noble upbringing, and she has no intention of returning to her family aside from a minor plot beat in Blue Lions where she requests support offscreen.

8 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Early game is pretty poor. Though never as bad as your mages. At best they match the damage output of Tempest Lance/Wrath Strike/Smash, but you should expect they won't deal very meaningful damage for those first few chapters. But once your punchers get Strength +2, Death Blow, steel gauntlets, and hopefully bombard/nimble combo, they start one rounding mooks and never stop as the game goes on. No stat boosters necessary, but a rocky burdock here and there can do wonders for them if you see they're just not leveling strength.  One-Two Punch is another game changer. Yes it takes away the brave effect, but it takes away the opponent's double - just like Quick Riposte. Giving Dedue and Alois an easy, safe answer to the assassins and swordmasters who have high avoid rates. Grappler's fistfaire is a clutch power boost as you near the time skip. And War Master's +20 passive crit with Killer + gauntlets is some of your most consistent critting in the late game. Only matched by wrath stacking enemy phase builds, or your Snipers

My Maddening run has four war masters because I'm just addicted to this class. So freaking fun.

Edited by Glennstavos

7 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Catherine hails from House Charon, implying she's a distant descendant. No weird expirement with her. When she says Rhea "saved" her, it's both literal and also giving her purpose in life, since she grew up unsatisfied with her noble upbringing, and she has no intention of returning to her family aside from a minor plot beat in Blue Lions where she requests support offscreen.

Sure, and it's totally possible I'm reading too much into this. I just think it's odd that of everyone in the entire game, Felix and Catherine are the only ones who just "inherited" a major crest. Over half the cast is a distant descendant, but only those two got major crests. Literally all the other major crests have some kind of special reasoning for it. Makes me a tad suspicious. 

51 minutes ago, Burklight said:

Sure, and it's totally possible I'm reading too much into this. I just think it's odd that of everyone in the entire game, Felix and Catherine are the only ones who just "inherited" a major crest. Over half the cast is a distant descendant, but only those two got major crests. Literally all the other major crests have some kind of special reasoning for it. Makes me a tad suspicious. 

It's just because bloodlines have run weak. Major crests started off being common when they were first introduced into the world, but after centuries of new generations mixing with others who might not the bear the same crest, it weakened the chance of inheriting a strong one. Felix and Catherine were either just very lucky, or their bloodline didn't spread too much making it stronger. Maybe Glenn had a major crest too? Others like Hanneman's father also bear Major crest's and while Hanneman calls Seteth's and Flayn's major crest of cichol and cethlean very rare this is because these are saints crests. Which were passed down through the blood of the saints and not a family link, which implies that the potency of the bloodline is much weaker than the crests of the Elites descendants (like Felix and Catherine), as Hanneman doesn't state that their major crests are extremely rare at all. It's only the major saint crests that he says that to. All in all I highly doubt there is any extra meaning behind these 2 having major crests as it is never mentioned or brought up in game as odd. It's more likely it's purely natural.

On 2/6/2020 at 6:30 AM, Jingle Jangle said:

I feel the opposite of some here; they're decent to good early (not right at the start, but once you start to gain str) then fall off later as their niche (striking twice) gets filled by brave weapons and brave combat arts. Additionally, the further you get in the game the more mounted classes take over as dominant options (first it's just female fliers and cavaliers, then wyverns join the fray, and finally your archers) which cut off gauntlets from use.