Jump to content
Captain Karnage

The Fire Emblem 3 Houses General Questions Thread

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Try using Gilbert on AM Chapter 13 Maddening. He loses more than half his health getting attacked once by an enemy Silver Bow Sniper (10 + 10 + 12) = 32 / 60. @Shadow Mir's point, that enemy attack tends to outpace playable unit's Resilience, is a valid one. Obviously, there are ways to alleviate this (Shields, Defense-boosting Battalions), but said tools are also available to non-Armors, who are less likely to get doubled (and, thereby, more survivable). I will concede, though - given a Lance and Swordbreaker, Fortress Knights can perform respectably against enemy Swordmasters and Assassins (who are doubling practically everyone anyway).

chapter13 gilbert is hardly a good argument to make, of course armors can't tank if you can't give them shields, battallions and skills lol.

and shields are pretty terrible accesories to give other melee units

I'm not here advocating that armors are a top tier class, just that they function well in their intended role and thus have a nieche if you favor certain playstyles (aka trivializing part of the game's difficulty (dealing with high speed units and abusing chokepoints) without having to think too much, at the cost of a higher turn count)

also armors = easy grinding for skills if you're into that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much skill experience does it take to go from A+ to S rank again? I can remember everything else, but the site doesn't have how much skill experience is needed to go from A to A+ (440), A+ to S, and S to S+ (1060).

Edited by Shadow Mir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LoneRecon400 said:

760.

Thanks. I had the feeling it was either that or 700.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you think the recommended level range for all of the Golden Deer characters before I reach Chapter 12 and 13 (Verdant Wind) on Maddening?

I still not halfway done through the playthrough but I just want a heads up. Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cron said:

What do you think the recommended level range for all of the Golden Deer characters before I reach Chapter 12 and 13 (Verdant Wind) on Maddening?

I still not halfway done through the playthrough but I just want a heads up. Thanks in advance.

If you're doing just the GD paralogues, I would expect your crew to naturally average level 24-26 at the start of chapter 12. If you're doing all the pre-time skip paralogues, about 3 levels higher. Most of your exp is coming from story chapters and paralogues, as you quickly outpace auxilliary battles. Enemies give you just a few points of exp from a kill once your level is a few higher than theirs on Maddening. Getting units into master classes in time for timeskip is largely a pipe dream without meticulous favoritism of a single unit, so don't worry about it.

Edited by Glennstavos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the dance competition only consider the base (as in, unaltered by accessories and cooking) charm of the participant?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I've been holding off doing a Maddening run of the game since the cut exp really bothered me (I like using a bunch of characters on most of my playthroughs). However, my hard mode runs of the game have been getting increasingly stale, so I'm planning to start a maddening NG+ run soon. Here are a few questions before I start:

  • Are "unoptimal classes" (i.e. Mage Ingrid) still usable on Maddening?
  • Do green units get their stats scaled up?
  • With a moderate amount of grinding (i.e. two weeks worth) is it possible to use 15 - 20 units during a play-through?
  • Assuming you scale up your professor level to A+, do the DLC auxillary battles yield decent EXP (enough to raise a few character's level by 2)?
  • How much worse are siege tomes and ballistas when compared to hard mode?
  • Do paralogues yield decent EXP?
Edited by FoxyGrandpa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FoxyGrandpa said:

Here are a few questions before I start Maddening NG+:

  • Are "unoptimal classes" (i.e. Mage Ingrid) still usable on Maddening?
  • Do green units get their stats scaled up?
  • With a moderate amount of grinding (i.e. two weeks worth) is it possible to use 15 - 20 units during a play-through?
  • How much worse are siege tomes and ballistas when compared to hard mode?
  • Do paralogues yield decent EXP?

- Uncommon class picks like Mage Ingrid will have a very difficult time in the beginning. But they can become decent enough by the time they promote at level 20 due to class bases. Giving them good battalions and Blow Skills will also really help them out.

- Most maps will have Allied units are autoleveled like enemies on the map. They're some exceptions though, like Felix's Dad on his Paralogue.

- The Exp cut on Maddening isn't too bad with the Statue Bonuses, but it's still not recommended to field more than the deployment limit allows for.

- Seige weapons can be pretty threating on Maddening since not only do they hit a lot harder, certain skills such as Poison Strike on Archers also apply. They're still tolerable thanks to gambits, however, as some such as Impreganable Wall or Sacred Shield can really nullify the threat of them. 

- Paralogues still give a substantial amount of Exp due to enemies being higher leveled than normal chapters. 

Edited by LoneRecon400

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FoxyGrandpa said:

So I've been holding off doing a Maddening run of the game since the cut exp really bothered me (I like using a bunch of characters on most of my playthroughs). However, my hard mode runs of the game have been getting increasingly stale, so I'm planning to start a maddening NG+ run soon. Here are a few questions before I start:

  • Are "unoptimal classes" (i.e. Mage Ingrid) still usable on Maddening?
  • Do green units get their stats scaled up?
  • With a moderate amount of grinding (i.e. two weeks worth) is it possible to use 15 - 20 units during a play-through?
  • Assuming you scale up your professor level to A+, do the DLC auxillary battles yield decent EXP (enough to raise a few character's level by 2)?
  • How much worse are siege tomes and ballistas when compared to hard mode?
  • Do paralogues yield decent EXP?

exp cut is not that relevant tbh because

1) there are more enemies
2) you have to engage in more rounds of combat

3) support exp (healing, dancing, etc) is not cut, only battle exp

I finished roughly at the same levels in both my hard and maddening runs (tho I used 1-2 fewer units in my maddening playthroughs)

I think 15 units is still feasible even on NG maddening, 20 sounds irrealistic though. probably even on NG+
I'm pretty sure generic green units are scaled aswell (special green units like chapter5 gilbert, rodrigue in felix's paralogue, etc I'm not so sure though)
yes, suboptimal classes are still viable, 3 houses is not that hard of a game, even on maddening (people finish it in 0 growth runs.)
and yes, paralogues are like your main form of extra xp, since aux battles are terrible for getting xp (can't say anything on the dlc stuff since I don't have it)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, AxelVDP said:

and yes, paralogues are like your main form of extra xp, since aux battles are terrible for getting xp (can't say anything on the dlc stuff since I don't have it)

DLC-specific Aux battles (those with a yellow marker) tend to give a lot of experience - at least on-par with red marker Aux battles. Not to mention, absurd amounts of gold. I've had no trouble staying ahead of the level curve on Maddening BL NG+, even without excessive grinding (I'll do maybe 2 Aux battles a month). I wouldn't try to train more than 15 units (including Adjutants), though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many Knowledge Gems can the player obtain? I know that we can get 2 by completing the Red Canyon Paralogue and protecting all crest stones in chapter 11 but I remember having a third one in my recent Golden Deer playthrough. Unfortunately I don't remember how I obtained the 3rd one.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Flying Shogi said:

How many Knowledge Gems can the player obtain? I know that we can get 2 by completing the Red Canyon Paralogue and protecting all crest stones in chapter 11 but I remember having a third one in my recent Golden Deer playthrough. Unfortunately I don't remember how I obtained the 3rd one.  

Far as I know, there's only two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

Far as I know, there's only two.

That's what I thought too. It could just be me misremembering things as I traded the item around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We know that each of the battalions have generic class models. What classes (or class models used) are the personal battalions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which character makes the best Trickster? Really like the class's design, but I'm struggling to find any character that could make good use of it. Most Sword users would rather go Assassin / Swordmaster just because its easier to build the weapon ranks for those classes. It wouldn't be a bad class for faith users normally, but for some reason the class halves the amount of healing spells they can use down to five, so it ends up completely gimping their potential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FoxyGrandpa said:

Which character makes the best Trickster? Really like the class's design, but I'm struggling to find any character that could make good use of it. Most Sword users would rather go Assassin / Swordmaster just because its easier to build the weapon ranks for those classes. It wouldn't be a bad class for faith users normally, but for some reason the class halves the amount of healing spells they can use down to five, so it ends up completely gimping their potential.

While Yuri makes a better dancer, he does also make a good trickster with foul play and all. The Canto+1mov really helps foul play

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, FoxyGrandpa said:

Which character makes the best Trickster? Really like the class's design, but I'm struggling to find any character that could make good use of it. Most Sword users would rather go Assassin / Swordmaster just because its easier to build the weapon ranks for those classes. It wouldn't be a bad class for faith users normally, but for some reason the class halves the amount of healing spells they can use down to five, so it ends up completely gimping their potential.

Yuri is the ovious choice, but I'm also fond of Manuela as a Trickster. She has strength in Swords and Faith, learns Hexblade, and has Silence and Warp (and since the halved uses round up, she only loses one casting of Silence and none of Warp).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get the feeling this is spoileriffic, so...

Spoiler

 

How did the 10 Elites get considered heroes when they were Nemesis's allies?

 

For stuff that isn't so spoileriffic:

1. Does Edelgard have special dialogue with Rhea in non-CF versions of chapter 12 if I stall long enough to have them battle?

2. What determines which exit Pallardo comes out of after his double is defeated?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FoxyGrandpa said:

Which character makes the best Trickster? Really like the class's design, but I'm struggling to find any character that could make good use of it. Most Sword users would rather go Assassin / Swordmaster just because its easier to build the weapon ranks for those classes. It wouldn't be a bad class for faith users normally, but for some reason the class halves the amount of healing spells they can use down to five, so it ends up completely gimping their potential.

Marianne and Anna have strengths in Swords and Faith, plus magical-damage combat arts (and in Marianne's case, Blutgang). The bad news is, they lose out on some spell casts. Honestly, having no Faire, less move than the Assassin, and no healing boost... Trickster just doesn't feel like a very good class overall. The only unique things it offers being Lucky Seven and Foul Play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Marianne and Anna have strengths in Swords and Faith, plus magical-damage combat arts (and in Marianne's case, Blutgang). The bad news is, they lose out on some spell casts. Honestly, having no Faire, less move than the Assassin, and no healing boost... Trickster just doesn't feel like a very good class overall. The only unique things it offers being Lucky Seven and Foul Play.

They also provide Duelist’s Blow upon mastery, but that can be used in other classes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Azure loves his Half Elves said:

They also provide Duelist’s Blow upon mastery, but that can be used in other classes.

Good catch, I genuinely forgot about that. But yeah, Duelist's Blow isn't locked to the Trickster class. Still not sure how useful it actually is, though - it seems to sit in-line with defensively-oriented player-phase skills (Armored Blow, Warding Blow), which aren't that useful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it might not be the right place to ask but... why does the Dark Flier have base stats that an intermediate class would laugh at?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have a list/document of all of the default goals for every character? I couldn't find one on the main page, sorry if this has been asked before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...