The Fire Emblem 3 Houses General Questions Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a quick question in regards to born fighter and heart seeker. If they were to be adjacent to the enemy, could someone else take advantage of the negative avoid debuff on the enemy or does it just apply to the user only?

5 hours ago, Voiced said:

Regarding the Saint Statues.

Do the +1 proficiency stuff give points only towards end-of-the-week studying? Or is it only for individual tutoring?

Individual tutoring.

1 hour ago, Barren said:

I have a quick question in regards to born fighter and heart seeker. If they were to be adjacent to the enemy, could someone else take advantage of the negative avoid debuff on the enemy or does it just apply to the user only?

Anyone can take advantage of the bonus until the user moves, for both abilities, which stack. Go dark mage Caspar!

1 hour ago, Sooks1016 said:

Individual tutoring.

Anyone can take advantage of the bonus until the user moves, for both abilities, which stack. Go dark mage Caspar!

Ahh very nice. Good to note. Thank you

37 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

Is there an actual magic shield spell in-game? like the one that mage in the cutscene where Byleth gets the Sword of the Creator.

Closest thing is Ward, which is a support skill you cast on other allies.

1 minute ago, Voiced said:

Is there any point in the game where you can buy infinite Brave weapons? If so, which chapter?

Afraid not, you can buy one per run, otherwise you have to forge them at the blacksmith. In order to do so you need a silver of the desired weapon type (brave gauntlets don’t exist for obvious reasons), 4 wootz steel, B+ professor level, and a bit of gold depending on the weapon type, ranging from 840 to 960. Wootz steel can be gained by breaking the entire shield of a wolf type monster, which you can find in grinding battles, and occasionally pop up in the story.

Some enemies also drop brave weapons.

So what exactly is the reason to actually use classes?

I know a few have weapon restrictions/magic restrictions but aside from a minor stat-boost (Such as an extra 1 dex for Bernie) for at least the beginner classes, what's the point of using them over Noble? such as Soldier Bernie.

Also when does Byleth actually get magic if I'm trying to give them magic? do I need them to actually unlock a magic class or will they simply get them with a high enough faith/reason? Will I not see them unlocking magic if they're a non-magic class such as Myrmidon? 

Edited by Samz707

3 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

So what exactly is the reason to actually use classes?

I know a few have weapon restrictions/magic restrictions but aside from a minor stat-boost (Such as an extra 1 dex for Bernie) for at least the beginner classes, what's the point of using them over Noble? such as Soldier Bernie.

Well first of all, (most) classes in this game have abilities associated with them, known as class abilities. Like being a mounted class will give you canto, or swordmaster gives you swordfaire iirc (+5 damage when using swords). What a lot of people argue is the best class in the game, bow knight, is defined by its class abilities including canto and +2 bow range (total of 4 range). Classes also have growth rate bonuses, that increase the higher tier of your class. And these growths are based off of the stats you would typically want for units in that role, like mage gives +10% magic instead of +10% strength. Seeing enough combat/healing in a class will also unlock class mastery abilities or combat arts, sometimes both, and these abilities are usually quite good. So are the combat arts, and quite a few of them are class exclusive, meaning that if you switch classes you can’t use it anymore. And like you said, some classes can use magic while others cannot.

The Noble/Commoner class is actually quite bad, it’s only growth boost is +5 to charm, so you’ll want to certify in literally anything else as quickly as possible imo, those levels are wasted potential.

13 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

Also when does Byleth actually get magic if I'm trying to give them magic? do I need them to actually unlock a magic class or will they simply get them with a high enough faith/reason?

You need them to certify into a magic class, which actually happens automatically in the story. If you get them a higher reason/faith they can use magic earlier though, if you want like a magic Byleth.

18 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

Well first of all, (most) classes in this game have abilities associated with them, known as class abilities. Like being a mounted class will give you canto, or swordmaster gives you swordfaire iirc (+5 damage when using swords). What a lot of people argue is the best class in the game, bow knight, is defined by its class abilities including canto and +2 bow range (total of 4 range). Classes also have growth rate bonuses, that increase the higher tier of your class. And these growths are based off of the stats you would typically want for units in that role, like mage gives +10% magic instead of +10% strength. Seeing enough combat/healing in a class will also unlock class mastery abilities or combat arts, sometimes both, and these abilities are usually quite good. So are the combat arts, and quite a few of them are class exclusive, meaning that if you switch classes you can’t use it anymore. And like you said, some classes can use magic while others cannot.

The Noble/Commoner class is actually quite bad, it’s only growth boost is +5 to charm, so you’ll want to certify in literally anything else as quickly as possible imo, those levels are wasted potential.

You need them to certify into a magic class, which actually happens automatically in the story. If you get them a higher reason/faith they can use magic earlier though, if you want like a magic Byleth.

Does the game say that classes effect growths?

I guess I won't worry about promotoing Byleth to a mage class if that's automatically.

13 hours ago, Samz707 said:

Does the game say that classes effect growths?

I guess I won't worry about promotoing Byleth to a mage class if that's automatically.

If you want your Byleth to actually use magic in their exclusive story class, they will still need to have at least D rank in Reason and Faith to unlock their first spells, if I’m not mistaken.

To add a few additional benefits of changing into / taking exams of another class, usually classes has a minimum base stats which you can see here: https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/classes/base-stats/ . If a character manages to certify into a class (just succeed the exam, no need to stay in it), and if some of their stats are lower than the class’ base stats, they will be bumped to those base stats. This can fix some units if they’re somehow stat screwed, or if you want to bump up their weak stats such as Thief Balthus for his Speed and Dex. 

Classes also has stat boosts which are shown here: https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/classes/stat-boosts/ . These stats are bonus that are added whenever the unit is in the class, but disappear if the unit change into another class. For example, Gremory has +5 Magic, so even if this class only has spell usage x2 as class ability, the +5 Magic stat is like a hidden Tomefaire. 

By the way, Noble/Commoner class halves spell uses. Mages will want to quickly promote into Monk for full spells uses once they master the Hp+5 ability. 

Edited by DriftingWaterBottle

15 hours ago, Sooks1016 said:

No but data miners do 😂

yaay.

and here I thought I was just stupid and missed something.

I can understand maybe not telling us the growth rates but at least tell us "Hey, classes effect how you level up stats.", I thought it was basically cosmetic aside form 1-2 stat changes aside from weapon restrictions.

2 hours ago, DriftingWaterBottle said:

By the way, Noble/Commoner class halves spell uses. Mages will want to quickly promote into Monk for full spells uses once they master the Hp+5 ability. 

Yeah I knew about them increasing stats to a certain level, I just figured Lindhartd leveling up was why he could use spells more, not the class change.

Edited by Samz707

What is the most efficient way to start off a female unit towards gremory (mage path)? Since they don't get spells until D rank, do I just have to instruct until then?

I want to do a run where all the males are War Master and all female are Gremory, but it seems kind of difficult to pull off.

18 minutes ago, Voiced said:

What is the most efficient way to start off a female unit towards gremory (mage path)? Since they don't get spells until D rank, do I just have to instruct until then?

I want to do a run where all the males are War Master and all female are Gremory, but it seems kind of difficult to pull off.

It's not actually very difficult. As soon as you can, set the goals of the characters you plan to use. (Reason and Faith for females, axes and gauntlets for males.) If you promote units asap and maybe tutor them a bit, they'll hit the right ranks in time to promote.

For men I'd suggest going Fighter-Brigand-Warrior-War Master
For women I'd suggest going Monk-Mage-Bishop-Gremory (If bishop is out of reach, go for sorcerer)

You'll want to master these classes too, since their mastery skills are worth it more often than not.

1 hour ago, whase said:

It's not actually very difficult. As soon as you can, set the goals of the characters you plan to use. (Reason and Faith for females, axes and gauntlets for males.) If you promote units asap and maybe tutor them a bit, they'll hit the right ranks in time to promote.

For men I'd suggest going Fighter-Brigand-Warrior-War Master
For women I'd suggest going Monk-Mage-Bishop-Gremory (If bishop is out of reach, go for sorcerer)

You'll want to master these classes too, since their mastery skills are worth it more often than not.

I think I'm mostly concerned about Petra. Since she has a weakness in both reason and faith. But, I'll give it a try. Something tell me this isn't going to go too smoothly.

4 minutes ago, Voiced said:

I think I'm mostly concerned about Petra. Since she has a weakness in both reason and faith. But, I'll give it a try. Something tell me this isn't going to go too smoothly.

She might not reach the right ranks in time, but she'll get there. Petra's speed will make her a dodge tank either way. Her spell list also isn't great, but she'll probably have enough strength not to get slowed down by too much. Hmm, might have to use her as a mage myself sometimes, sounds like fun.

I’ve finished all 4 routes on normal mode. Only because I wanted to try things out and get sense of all 4 stories. If I were to try out Maddening, it’s not a big deal if I try it with New Game+ right? I mean I know NG+ might be a bit cheap for some but I’m wondering if it’s still recommended to take some pressure off of me

35 minutes ago, Barren said:

I’ve finished all 4 routes on normal mode. Only because I wanted to try things out and get sense of all 4 stories. If I were to try out Maddening, it’s not a big deal if I try it with New Game+ right? I mean I know NG+ might be a bit cheap for some but I’m wondering if it’s still recommended to take some pressure off of me

I for one recommend doing it with NG+. It takes away some of the challenge, but only as much as you abuse it- you can max everybody’s relevant ranks immediately, assign the lord battalions to your army and cheese the game from chapter 1, or you can simply grab the professor level and leave it there. Regardless of how you use/abuse it, it takes away much of the tedium and need to play “optimally”- you can go nuts with fun builds and actually have fun with the mode.

Not to mention it’s your playthrough- if you feel like you want it to take the pressure off, then that’s all that matters.

30 minutes ago, Anathaco said:

I for one recommend doing it with NG+. It takes away some of the challenge, but only as much as you abuse it- you can max everybody’s relevant ranks immediately, assign the lord battalions to your army and cheese the game from chapter 1, or you can simply grab the professor level and leave it there. Regardless of how you use/abuse it, it takes away much of the tedium and need to play “optimally”- you can go nuts with fun builds and actually have fun with the mode.

Not to mention it’s your playthrough- if you feel like you want it to take the pressure off, then that’s all that matters.

That's good. I was a bit worried about tackling maddening because I've seen that it's possible to do it without NG+. I'm glad that doing it won't really matter as much as long as I can enjoy my run. I know it's silly for me to ask but I felt I should anyways. Thanks again

1 hour ago, Barren said:

That's good. I was a bit worried about tackling maddening because I've seen that it's possible to do it without NG+. I'm glad that doing it won't really matter as much as long as I can enjoy my run. I know it's silly for me to ask but I felt I should anyways. Thanks again

Beating it without NG+ on changes the light shining on Sothis on the title screen from green to yellow. If that would factor in to your decision at all.