Skipping Particular Activities Around Chapter 9 For Increased Emotional Weight

Whenever I replay Awakening, I hold off on doing Paralogue 4 (the one where you recruit Anna) until after chapter 10. I also don't do any supports between chapters 9 and 10.

So...do other people do this or something similar, or am I just weird?

Edited by KnightOfNohr

As the new title says, I feel like it deepens the emotional weight of chapters 9-10.

Spoiler

It's a bit jarring to me that, right after Emmeryn's death, the people of your army are having light-hearted conversations and undertaking comedic adventures in Anna-saving. Even more jarring is the switch back to the incredibly emotional chapter 10.

It hardly raises the difficulty by much. Even with these self-imposed "restrictions," I don't think I've ever lost a unit on Renewal.

19 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

You might want to change the title. The mods are a bit allergic to ''am I the only one who...'' type of topics. 

I don't think I've ever held off on doing side missions. Is there any reason you do it?

TBH, using "Do you do X as well" gets around it

----

maybe, I never really got heavily invested into FatesWakening's stories

It's a minor problem with Awakening's openness. Technically, Chrom's army can be in retreat and trapped at the Devil Ingle in Valm surrounded by Walhart's giant army. But as that is, you can have Female Robin stumble on him naked after a little shopping and twenty Risen battles over at Donnel's island.

The good thing about it is that you get the freedom to do whatever you want when you want it, and you can never be stuck in a gameplay corner. So the openness is only a good thing for gameplay. But it does hit the narrative flow depending on your playstyle.

The post Chapter 9 Anna Paralogue opening was really poorly timed and begs you to go for it, without knowing what Chapter 10 is like until it's too late. Not to mention the game gives Anna a post-10 rally quip, acknowledging you could have gone for her, as realistically illogical as it is.

Sacred Stones has the same world map premise, but does make occasional freedom sacrifices for narrative. 7-8, 11-12 Eiri, 11-12 Eph, 14-15 Eiri, and 20-F, all of these force you to play them back to back with no world map access between them. I wouldn't say it was absolutely necessary for any of these barring 14-15 Eir, but I won't say it bad to do for any of them either.