The Recruitment War (Reruitment Guide)

Hello, and welcome to The Recruitment War!

Here we will talk/guide those who wish to recruit every possible unit that you can in one playthrough, while also trying to get as many characters paralogues as possible, but first a disclaimer. This topic is a work in progress,so some info could be wrong, which if is will be updated later. Also you WILL get spoliers here, so you are warned. With that out of the way, lets start with basics.

First, there is only 2 units per house that can not be obtained, being Edelgard and Hubert for Black Eagles, Dimitri and Dedue for Blue Lions, and Claude and Hilda for the Gold Deer, so they will not be discussed. (Hilda however CAN be recruited on a Blue Lions playthrough).

Second, character specific paralouges are mostly unknowns at the moment, so untill more info comes in on how they work, they will be dismissed for the time being.

Third and lastly, if you go past the first year, it is more then likely, you will not be able to get characters from other houses, so their is a time limit to get 12 (possibly 13)  total units, (seemingly you can recruit after the skip, but there seems to be a penalty for not getting them in the first year, being you cant support them, needs to be confirmed),with a mix of skill levels and stats need to recruit them. So the over all goal is to get as many stats and skill levels as possible before the first year ends.

From all information that as been gathered, the needed stats you need are:

Strength Magic Speed Dex Charm

And ALL eleven skill levels (dependent on route)

So with that in mind, the needed requirements for a character around 20 for the stat and B in the skill level BEFORE support points. 

That might sound impossible to do at first, but support levels AND points with a character lower recruitment requirements.

SO say a C rank in support level might make it go down to 15 in stat and C in skill level. Which means, until you got all 12 units, it would be best to spend time with ONLY  the other houses during the weekend. With that in mind, the goal is simple: Get at least a C (or B) rank support level with all 12 characters, get all 11 skill levels to C rank, and get those 5 stats to 15, and maximize your activity gauge for the weekends. (However all support points matter, the more you got the better, even if you still are not at B rank). This might sound tough, but thankfully the Avatar has three skill levels they are proficient in being Sword Brawl And Authority, with Faith being a budding talent, and the rest being neutral, so its possible. What about the stats? The Avatars starting stats that matter are str 13 mag 6 dex 9 spd 8 and charm 7, with a growth rate of 45 in strength, 35 in magic, 45 in dex, 45 in speed and 45 in charm, so strength and charm should not be an issue, but we are going to need a lot more magic. So there are three classes that you should stay as for the first year being: monk mage and warlock, myrmidon mercenary and hero, and lastly soldier cavalry and paladin. Monk for magic reason and faith skills, myrmidon for dex and speed, sword and axe skill levels, and soldier for a even spread of stats, lance and riding skill levels. With this in mind, you are going to want your avatar basically fight everything, as it will  help increase the skill levels need for the recruitments. Also you can get trained by other teachers to improve skill levels as well, which might be needed if you are to get them all in time. (Note: Seems like you can only get teached ONCE in a skill level by a teacher, so keep that in mind). (Double Note: The Saint Statutes increase skill level gains through teaching, but NOT through combat so make sure to chose wisely for what you need.)

Now for class routing and training, since you cant really start as a monk, when you go into battle at the start of the game, its best to just use a lance or axe deping on your route, but once you get the chance, your best option at the start is do some faculty traing with Rhea, as she gives faith and reason training, which will help a lot towards becomeing a monk at level 5, then you will want to upgrade to a mage/priest at level 10, then hopefully by the time you reach around level 15, you should/might get the skill levels and magic stats you need, to which your focus now switchs to the cavalier, mainly for the sword lance and riding skill levels, but also for decent increase for strength and dex needed. Shamir can help with the lance skill needed and Jeralt for riding and lance. (Note: Due to the fact you are mixing around with skill levels, you will more then likely have to stick to intermediate class just to get the proficiency bouses). (Double Note: For my first playthrough I ended up skiping cavalier all together and stayed as a priest for a good chuck of the starting playthrough, as I just did faculty training to get what I needed). Once you reach level 20, depending if you have gotten the needed skill levels from mage/priest and cavalier, and if you have the needed skill level requirements, either continue to the paladin or move on to another class for those specific skill levels. With hopefully 5 skills down, your goal is to get the rest as needed, in this case being Bow Brawling Heavy Armour Flying Axe and Authority, however authority should not be a proplem since you are going to want to have a battlion on you at all times. So you only need five more to get all requirements.

Also I have reports of people getting students randomly through B supports, skipping the requirements needed, so that is an alternative option to do, however I got all possible house students in my first playthrough of BE by month 11, so which way you go is up to you. I have tested it myself and it does work.

( All non house units requirements will be listed here, some seem to be levels, others route specific).

Now for reruitment routing, keep in mind depending on what you focus on will change the route, and characters next to each other can most of the time be switched around as needed. Since im trying to get magic, faith and reason out of the way, those are the first recruitments to be knocked out of the way. However those who want Authority break this rule, as they should be the easiest to get. Underlined characters need special requirements and will be some of the last characters you recruit due to being only obtainable later in a playthrough. Lastly skills NOT needed will be listed for said route.

(Note: During my first playthrough, I sort of sticked with the BE recruitment route, but it was more scrambled around, so these are NOT definitive routes, just get who can get).

Black Eagles Route:

Ignatz->Annette->Lysitha->Lorenz->Sylvain->Ashe->Leonie->Felix->Raphael->Mercedes->Ingrid->Marianne

Skills not needed:Brawling

Blue Lions Route:

Ignatz->Dorothea->Linhardt->Lysitha->Lorenz->Marianne->Petra->Raphael->Ferdinand->Bernadetta->Leonie->Caspar->Hilda

Skills not needed:Flying and Sword

Gold Deer Route:

Dorothea->Annette->Linhardt->Sylvain->Bernadetta->Mercedes->Felix->Ashe->Caspar->Ingrid->Ferdinand->Petra

Skills not needed:Axe

So the Blue Lions will be the easiest to recruit units. Also remember that characters can be swaped as needed/wanted.

Now to focus on getting support needed for the characters. By messing around in the monastery at the end of the week, there with be a number of things to do to increase support levels such as; tips box, eating together with stundents, finding and giving back missing items, giving gifts and tea parties. Also, you are going to want to horde as much gold as possible for birthday gifts and gifts in general, so you are going to want to stick with iron weapons as much as possible to save gold. (There is normal gifts you can buy, or seeds for flowers and what not, and birthday gifts should be about 200 gold, but once you have access to tea, you will want do that only, as it can increase charm, and is much better for supports, however the tea mini game can be frustrating at times, so make sure to read up a characters likes and dislikes). Also I would recommend to save your fishing bait for an event called fistful of fish, as when I used up about 100 or so pieces of bait, I got 3000+ ezp for your professor level (which is what decides your activity points). Read up on what all the characters like and dislike, so you know what to gift them and what to talk about during tea parties. Also you can borrow a unit for a month, so during battles make sure to keep them close to the avatar.

Here is a list of all lost items, which can be given back to characters for support points and motivation (found on rpgstie.net, and can confirm it is correct): (Some lost items can only be given after a certain period of time has passed).

A Treatise on Etiquette - Lorenz

Agricultural Survey - Ferdinand

Animal Bone Dice - Shamir (You must wait for the next month to return this lost item)

Animated Bait - Linhardt

Annotated Dictionary - Petra

Antique Clasp - Flayn (Can only be returned once a month has passed after finding this lost item)

Art Book - Ignatz

Artificial Flower - Lorenz

Badge of Graduation - Catherine

Bag of Seeds - Marianne

Bag of Tea Leaves - Ferdinand

Big Spoon - Raphael

Black Iron Spur - Felix

Black Leather Gloves - Dimitri (Blue Lions house only)

Blue Stone - Ignatz

Book of Ghost Stories - Mercedes

Board Game Piece - Claude (Golden Deer house only)

Bundle of Dry Hemp - Shamir

Bundle of Herbs - Ashe

Burlap Sack of Rocks - Raphael

Carving Hammer - Gilbert

Centipede Picture - Shamir

Clean Dusting Cloth - Manuela

Confessional Letter - Marianne

Crude Arrowheads - Leonie

Crumpled Love Letter - Sylvain

Curry Comb - Ingrid

Dulled Longsword - Dimitri

Dusty Book of Fables - Flayn

Eastern Porcelain - Edelgard (Black Eagle house only)

Encyclopedia of Sweets - Lysithea

Evil-Repelling Amulet - Ashe

Exotic Feather - Petra

Feather Pillow - Linhardt

Folding Razor - Hubert (Black Eagle house only)

Foreign Old Coin - Alois

Fruit Preserves - Mercedes

Fur Scarf - Leonie

Gardening Shears - Dedue (Blue Lions house only)

Gold Earring - Dedue (Blue Lion house only)

Grounding Charm - Caspar

Hammer and Chisel -  Hanneman

Hand Drawn Map - Leonie

Handmade Hair Clip - Hilda (BL and GD only)?

Hedgehog Case - Bernadetta (Found near the graves, at the top of the stairs - it can be difficult to spot)

How to Bake Sweets - Mercedes

How to be Tidy - Marianne

Hresvelg Treatise - Hubert (Black Eagle house only)

Introduction to Magic - Alois (Can only be returned after a month has passed after finding this lost item)

Iron Cooking Pot - Dedue (Blue Lions route only)

Jousting Almanac - Ingrid

Leather Bow Sheath - Claude

Lens Cloth - Hanneman

Letter to Rhea - Catherine

Letter to the Goddess - Ignatz

Light Purple Veil - Manuela

Lovely Comb - Dorothea

Maintenance Oil - Ferdinand

Mild Stomach Poison - Claude (Golden Deer House only)

Moon Knight’s Tale - Ashe

Mysterious Notebook - Alois

Needle and Thread - Bernadetta

New Bottle of Perfume - Lysithea

Noseless Puppet - Gilbert (You can't turn this item in until the month after you can first pick it up)

Noxious Handkerchief - Hubert (Black Eagles house only)

Old Cleaning Cloth - Cyril

Old Fishing Rod - Seteth

Old Map of Enbarr - Flayn

Pegasus Horseshoes - Ingrid

Portrait of Rhea - Cyril (Found at the far end of the 2nd floor dormitory)

Princess Doll - Lysithea

School of Sorcery Book - Annette

Silk Handkerchief - Lorenz

Silver Brooch - Dorothea

Silver Necklace - Gilbert

Sketch of a Sigil - Hanneman

Small Tanned Hide - Petra

Snapped Writing Quill - Seteth

Songstress Poster - Dorothea

Spotless Bandage - Hilda (BL and GD only)?

Still-Life Picture - Bernadetta

Sword Belt Fragment - Felix

Tattered Overcoat - Caspar

The History of Sreng - Sylvain

The Saints Revealed - Linhardt

Thunderbrand Replica - Caspar

Time-worn Quill Pen - Edelgard (Black Eagle House only)

Toothed Dagger - Felix

Training Logbook - Dimitri (Blue Lions Route only)

Unfinished Fable - Seteth

Unfinished Score - Annette

Unused Lipstick - Sylvain

Used Bottle of Perfume - Hilda (BL and GD only)?

Wax Diptych - Annette

Weathered Cloak - Catherine (when you pick this up, you won't be able to return this lost item until the next month)

Well-Used Hatchet - Cyril

Wellness Herbs - Manuela

White Gloves - Edelgard

Wooden Button - Raphael

Wooden Flask - Jeralt (this is the quest item that introduces Lost Items as a concept.)

(All character normal gifts likes shall be listed here).

This is the completed list of recruitment needs, thanks to LSM for categorizing these before release, as this is where I have found them. (Also underlined characters ((Hilda)) can seemingly only be recruited in the BL playthrough, needs to be confirmed.):

Red Eagles:

Stat             Skill

Dorothea: Charisma/Authority

Ferdinand:Dex/Armour

Bernadetta:Strength/Bow

Caspar: Strength/Brawling

Petra:Dexterity/Riding

Linhardt:Magic/Reason

Blue Lions

Felix:Speed/Sword

Mercedes:Magic/Bow

Ashe:Charisma/Lance

Annette:Magic/Faith

Slyvain:Charisma/Reason

Ingrid:Dex/Flying

Golden Deer

Lorenz:Charisma/Reason

Raphael:Strength/Armour

Lysithea:Magic/Faith

Ignatz:Dex/Authority 

Marianne:Magic/Riding

Leonie:Strength/Lance

Hilda:Charm/Axe

Lastly, during new game+ you can use renown to get skill levels, supports, and Professor Levels which will make the process that much easier to get all units on a route, plus you get lots of extra renown just for beating a route, and as a final reward, if you use 1200 renown for a A rank support for a house character NOT in your own house, you can recruit them immediately, making it very easy to recruit everyone.

With that in mind, I believe that is all the tips and theories that I can give out at the time, but I will be updating the guide as more info comes out/or learned. 

Until then,  happy war and eat some pancakes in the endless cold abyss of life.

Update 7/17/2019: Added info about saint statutes, normal gifts and birthday gift prices.

Update 7/19/2019: Added Ashe and Slyvain requirements, and added possible skill skips. Also possible recruitments of Hilda, Dedue and Hubert.

Update 7/20/2019: Added class and skill routing, along with placement for recruiting order.

Update 7/21/2019: Added placement for liked/specific gifts and placement for non house unit requirements.

Update 7/22/2019:Added Ignatz requirements, updated avatar starting stats to (hopefully) correct ones.

Update 7/23/2019: Added important Avatar growth rates, and the possibility that Hubert and Dedue are NOT reruitable, Felix needed requirements, and slight overhaul of guide.

Update 7/24/2019: Added Bernadetta,Linhardt and Ferdinand requirements,with first recruiting routes and non needed skills for said routes.

Update 7/25/2019: Added info about new game+ and slight overhaul of guide.

Update 8/1/2019: Added overhaul of the guide from first playthrough. More to come!

Update 8/2/2019: Added more info/fixing spelling mistakes.

Edited by Deatheggx56
Updating/Forgot info

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, Deatheggx56 said:

Third and lastly, if you go past the first year, it is more then likely, you will not be able to get characters from other houses, so their is a time limit to get 12 total units, with a mix of skill levels and stats need to recruit them. So the over all goal is to get as many stats and skill levels as possible befor the first year ends.

Do we know that we can only recruit one student a month? It seems odd to me, especially since it seems that the knights and professors are recruited in the same way (but with levels instead of stats)

19 minutes ago, firewitch912 said:

Do we know that we can only recruit one student a month? It seems odd to me, especially since it seems that the knights and professors are recruited in the same way (but with levels instead of stats)

That is a good question, ill make sure to keep note if that is the case, but i sort of doubt it, mabye the borrowing is limited, but i doubt the recruiting would be.

45 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

Aren't birthday gifts cheap? 

If memory servers me right, birthday gifts should be 200 to 300 gold, so for all 12 would be about 2400 to 4000, which isnt bad, but I belive you might be able to buy normal gifts, which if the case, your going to want to get considering the time limit.

13 hours ago, Armchair General said:

Listing off their missing items?

Good idea, didnt think of that! For now it will just have to be a waiting to be filled section, but I think one of the new trailers showed one for marianne.

2 hours ago, Dewel said:

Hi, you could maybe add a small section on recruiting non student characters

I mainly avoided that since it seems like you only need a level requirement for non house characters, but i guess ill add a section just to make it more completed, so thanks! (It might be also possible that certain untis would require other things as well, will need to find out.)

The leaker stated that Ignatz wants Dex and Authority, but didn't provide a pic.

If that's true, then we can see a kind of pattern emerge with the completed house and almost completed house. The pattern appears to be that we have two for 3 of the stats and one for the other. The other pattern is that no two members of the same house have shared a desired skill. With that, I'm going to try and guess the remaining options.

BL

Felix: Str/Dex and Sword

Dedue (if recruitable at all): Str and Brawling/Heavy Armor/Axe

Felix could have his hidden talent like other Blue Lions, but Sylvain we already know has it

BE (it'll be harder but here we go)

Linhardt: Magic and Faith

Hubert: Magic and Reason/Lance

Bernadetta: Dex and Bow

Ferdinand: Char/Str and Sword/Lance/Axe/Armor

Ferdinand has a lot of possible options based on his skills, and no one has taken them, or seems likely to (except riding)

What's interesting for the Black Eagles is that 2 of the 3 we know don't have a strength in their desired skill

9 hours ago, firewitch912 said:

The leaker stated that Ignatz wants Dex and Authority, but didn't provide a pic.

If that's true, then we can see a kind of pattern emerge with the completed house and almost completed house. The pattern appears to be that we have two for 3 of the stats and one for the other. The other pattern is that no two members of the same house have shared a desired skill. With that, I'm going to try and guess the remaining options.

BL

Felix: Str/Dex and Sword

Dedue (if recruitable at all): Str and Brawling/Heavy Armor/Axe

Felix could have his hidden talent like other Blue Lions, but Sylvain we already know has it

BE (it'll be harder but here we go)

Linhardt: Magic and Faith

Hubert: Magic and Reason/Lance

Bernadetta: Dex and Bow

Ferdinand: Char/Str and Sword/Lance/Axe/Armor

Ferdinand has a lot of possible options based on his skills, and no one has taken them, or seems likely to (except riding)

What's interesting for the Black Eagles is that 2 of the 3 we know don't have a strength in their desired skill

Those are sort of the guesses I had as well, with Fredinand I to want to say that he would be charm/axe, but only time will tell. With Ignatz I would belive that makes sense, so ill add it to the guide. At this rate I believe we wont know what the last few students want until release. 

Looks like quite a lot of work to acquire a majority of chars. Might be easier to only focus on a few. Also some skills will be harder to acquire, like heavy armor/flying/riding. 

Male Byleth would have a lot of trouble recruiting Ingrid, due to her prerequisites. First class they have access to that would let you level flying is wyvern rider, which requires lvl 20. So you’d have to train in that skill primarily. 

Appreciations go go out to OP for making this list. 

This would be a challenge for me since I plan to recruit Raphael, Lysithea, Marianne and Lindhart to my BL walkthrough. I also plan to have a F!Byleth to be a Mortal Savant at the end so my primary problem would Heavy Armour and Faith. 

1 hour ago, jakl201 said:

Looks like quite a lot of work to acquire a majority of chars. Might be easier to only focus on a few. Also some skills will be harder to acquire, like heavy armor/flying/riding. 

Male Byleth would have a lot of trouble recruiting Ingrid, due to her prerequisites. First class they have access to that would let you level flying is wyvern rider, which requires lvl 20. So you’d have to train in that skill primarily. 

Appreciations go go out to OP for making this list. 

It would be much easier just to grab the characters you want, but im the kind of guy who loves to have  "perfect" playthrough, recruiting and maximing my units as much as possible on the highest difficulty, as iv more or less done the same with the Persona games, beating Persona 4 Golden twenty or so times in my life, and Persona 5 eleven times maxing out everything I can on a single playthrough.

1 hour ago, Ririn said:

This would be a challenge for me since I plan to recruit Raphael, Lysithea, Marianne and Lindhart to my BL walkthrough. I also plan to have a F!Byleth to be a Mortal Savant at the end so my primary problem would Heavy Armour and Faith. 

There are untis I would prefer to grab first as well during a Black Eagles playthrough, being Ashe, Felix, Sylvain, Leonie, Lysithea and Raphael, while ending up as a wyvern lord, one of my favorite classes, but due to the way routing out a playthrough will have to wait on some units. But yeah, certain skills will be a pain to level.

There might be hope to do so in a NG+, we'll have to see what it means for the game, but if professor level is kept you could start a new game with an endgame amount of action points, thus making it far easier to up your stats and skills.

5 hours ago, timon said:

There might be hope to do so in a NG+, we'll have to see what it means for the game, but if professor level is kept you could start a new game with an endgame amount of action points, thus making it far easier to up your stats and skills.

That definitely would be much easier to do, but there is some insane people like me who will try to do it with no new game+, but it will all come down to the exact requierments need for each unit, and how low it can go with supports or whatever works. If its a lot easier to get the requirements then what im thinking, then it definitely would be possible.

6 minutes ago, Deatheggx56 said:

That definitely would be much easier to do, but there is some insane people like me who will try to do it with no new game+, but it will all come down to the exact requierments need for each unit, and how low it can go with supports or whatever works. If its a lot easier to get the requirements then what im thinking, then it definitely would be possible.

well if you're a mad lad you might be interested in this rumour running around on reddit (I haven't seen actual confirmation, but multiple people have said it's true)

Spoiler

apparently if you play as M!Byleth Leonie will join you straight up without any requirements. The same is true for Sylvain if you play as F!Byleth.

Though it seems there's lots of people confirming for Sylvain, but I haven't read a confirmation for Leonie. Here's the link btw https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/cgwtck/if_this_is_true_then_you_should_play_as_mbyleth/

Edited by timon

2 minutes ago, timon said:

well if you're a mad lad you might be interested in this rumour running around on reddit (I haven't seen actual confirmation, but multiple people have said it's true)

Reveal hidden contents

apparently if you play as M!Byleth Leonie will join you straight up without any requirements. The same is true for Sylvain if you play as F!Byleth.

Huh, if that ends up being case I guess it makes it sort of easier, tho one is vastly easier to get then the other. Also character growth rates have been mined, so update we go!

3 hours ago, nick0807 said:

Has anyone tried this yet? If so, how hard was it to accomplish? 

Im trying it now, so far im four chapters deep, level 10 with no reruits. Will be updating the thread when i got a good chuck of info.

On 7/17/2019 at 4:49 AM, Deatheggx56 said:

So there are three classes that you should stay as for the first year being: monk mage and warlock, myrmidon mercenary and hero, and lastly soldier cavalry and paladin.

Do you have any class suggestions for F!Byleth since the Hero class is locked to male? I suppose Swordmaster is a good substitute but she might get delay in becoming proficient in Axe. 

Edit: Though, Hilda is the only one who requires this so I might not recruit her. 

Edited by Ririn