The Recruitment War (Reruitment Guide)

I finally managed to recruit Hilda in the Blue Lions path in Chapter 8. Had an A weapon rank with Axe, 23 charm stat of 23 (M!Byleth at level 34), and a B support rank with her. With that, she appeared in my class in the middle of the week and asked to join my house, which seems to be a method that people have been recommending for most recruitments overall.

I did some more testing on another file in the Blue Lions route, all in Chapter 9 (the month is December). M!Byleth is at level 37 with a Charm stat of 27. For most students, 25 seems to be a good enough amount for that stat, but not for Hilda. Even raising the Axe skill level to A, A+, S, or S+ was not enough. However, at S+, once I obtained a C support rank with her, I was finally able to recruit her (within the same month). So, it seems that even a C support is enough to lower the stat requirement overall (assuming it's 30 for Hilda since she's a retainer).

Here's a video of said tests as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVYCfyMWsUg

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update, im in part two of the story sideing with Edelgard and it seems like hilda is NOT recruitable in this path. So I have recruited all of the possible house units, but am unsure if any other units can  be recruited at this time

Edited by Deatheggx56
Spelling/grammer

I managed to recruit all students (except Hilda, and Hubert is non-recruitable AFAIK) in the Blue Lions path without supports. The amount of level/weapon grinding I did was more than enough for them. Didn't really keep track of the exact stats needed for them though.

1 minute ago, ShadowMario3 said:

I managed to recruit all students (except Hilda, and Hubert is non-recruitable AFAIK) in the Blue Lions path without supports. The amount of level/weapon grinding I did was more than enough for them. Didn't really keep track of the exact stats needed for them though.

Pretty crazy. How did you grind out flying/riding/armor? Those seem to be the most troublesome.

For Byleth, I made sure to seek out the professors/soldiers who taught them (Jeralt, Gilbert, Alois, etc.) during Exploration until I had enough to take the certification for the class (that don't offer it in their Seminars). If I didn't pass the test, I would soft reset and try again the next day. Don't need flying to recruit anyone if you're in Blue Lions, so I didn't have to worry about that, but I will probably go to Manuela and Seteth for that.

After that, on Normal difficulty, you can just grind on maps. If you want to keep your items, make sure to just Retreat. You won't keep any items you obtained, but you will keep any exp earned, and your weapon and item usage will go back to how they were before you started the map. I do not believe Retreat is available in Hard mode though.

Edited by ShadowMario3

One small wrinkle: I wonder if certain characters are more easily recruited in some routes than others. I’m guessing this based off of the fact that I recruited Ingrid fairly quickly on a GD run with only about a D in flying, around 12-13 DEX, and just barely a C support, when everyone else required a lot more work.

Spoiler

Her noble family is split between the kingdom and Leicester, and she has multiple unique conversations on the route about Golden Deer specific persons like Judith. So, it seems like she’s a more natural fit with the GD than others.

Also, in the last month of the pre-skip phase of my GD run, Hilda specifically has a conversation with you about how glad she is that she’s in the Golden Deer house, as for various story related reasons she wants no part of Edelgard or Dimitri. Makes sense why she’d be difficult to pry away.

Edited by Moonlit Knight

I know this topic is mostly about the students, but since it's about recruitment, I'm curious about something.

Spoiler

Do you lose out on teachers if you don't recruit them pre-timeskip? I'm at Chapter 15 of Edelgard's route and I don't have Manuela or Shamir or anyone, despite hearing you can have them on this route.

Is there any specific amount of a stat that needs to be attained to fit that unit's requirements? Looking to recruit Ingrid by rushing flying, but my dex is only 12. Also, what is the required level of a skill?

Edited by blah the Prussian

13 minutes ago, blah the Prussian said:

Is there any specific amount of a stat that needs to be attained to fit that unit's requirements? Looking to recruit Ingrid by rushing flying, but my dex is only 12. Also, what is the required level of a skill?

People's anecdotes indicate the number isn't exact but as a general guide, it's 20 in the required stat and B in the required skill. Each level of support you gain with that unit reduces the stat requirement by 5 and the skill requirement by a full rank (e.g. B to C).

Okay I've now recruited everyone except Hilda pre-timeskip (on Black Eagles path).

Here's my observations:

B support + at least D in the skill they want. Stat is probably >10 if I had to guess.

C support + at least C or C+ in the skill they want. Don't know about stat, probably >15

No support - I didn't recruit anyone other than Sylvain without a support. I'm guessing you'd need 20+ in the stat and B in the skill.

I did recruit Raphael in chapter 10 with B support and E+ in heavy armor, but I think it was because I kept boosting his support beyond the initial B. I was probably halfway between B and A with him. So that's another thing to keep in mind if you just don't want to bother getting a skill to at least D.

55 minutes ago, Silent shifter said:

Is it true that getting a B support greatly ease the recruitment? Like the character ask to join you instead, or do you still need to meet the minimum requirement? Thanks in advance.

Yes. Here's the reddit that confirms it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/cihnhc/psa_you_can_use_the_bruteforce_method_to_recruit/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

12 hours ago, Moonlit Knight said:

One small wrinkle: I wonder if certain characters are more easily recruited in some routes than others. I’m guessing this based off of the fact that I recruited Ingrid fairly quickly on a GD run with only about a D in flying, around 12-13 DEX, and just barely a C support, when everyone else required a lot more work.

Reveal hidden contents

Her noble family is split between the kingdom and Leicester, and she has multiple unique conversations on the route about Golden Deer specific persons like Judith. So, it seems like she’s a more natural fit with the GD than others.

Also, in the last month of the pre-skip phase of my GD run, Hilda specifically has a conversation with you about how glad she is that she’s in the Golden Deer house, as for various story related reasons she wants no part of Edelgard or Dimitri. Makes sense why she’d be difficult to pry away.

This would make some sense.

As a side note, I'm beginning to wonder if there's an element of randomness for the recruiting based on skill. The numbers you need have been all over the place. I'm beginning to think that it's either:

A) A percent chance that increases as you gain skill

B) Different students are more or less specific

C) Different routes have easier times recruiting some characters than others

However, I think you may be on to something, and B may be the correct answer. Someone posted on Gamefaqs early on that Ingrid was the second most recruited student, behind Sylvain. It may be that her stat requirements are much lower than other students.

4 hours ago, Druplesnubb said:

There was some guy with an early copy on reddit that teased that you could recruit enemies after the timeskip.

Reveal hidden contents

The example shown was Lysithea on Edelgard's route.

Anything more on that?

Yeah, there is one character in each playthrough that can be recruited after timeskip.

Spoiler

Lorenz for Blue Lion, Lysithea for Black Eagle, I don't remember the character for Golden Deer though.

53 minutes ago, Metakirby said:

Yeah, there is one character in each playthrough that can be recruited after timeskip.

Hide contents

Lorenz for Blue Lion, Lysithea for Black Eagle, I don't remember the character for Golden Deer though.

How does it work for supports though? Are you locked out of supporting with that unit since you didn't get them while in the monastery? I'm asking because

Spoiler

I'd really like to see Edelgard's supports with Lysithea, but I also don't really want her around before the skip

3 hours ago, Metakirby said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Well, the only student I’ve encountered so far is Ashe, and after trying everything I could think of, I’m 99% sure it isn’t him. I’m going to take an educated guess and say that it’s someone with a support convo with Claude (Petra, Annette, Ingrid), but I made sure to recruit those people pre-skip.

2 hours ago, timon said:

How does it work for supports though? Are you locked out of supporting with that unit since you didn't get them while in the monastery? I'm asking because

Reveal hidden contents

I'd really like to see Edelgard's supports with Lysithea, but I also don't really want her around before the skip

So far, I haven’t had any problems with cross-house supports being time-locked. The only supports I’ve been barred from involve people from the same house (like Annette/Ingrid), which I can easily go and get on a Blue Lions playthrough.

Edited by Moonlit Knight

8 hours ago, Druplesnubb said:

There was some guy with an early copy on reddit that teased that you could recruit enemies after the timeskip.

Hide contents

The example shown was Lysithea on Edelgard's route.

Anything more on that?

pretty sure that guy had recruited Lysithea pre-timeskip and he was just re-recruiting her post-timeskip. Some of the students you recruited you end up fighting and have to beat and then persuade to rejoin you.

edit: nevermind i might be wrong as someone mentioned the 1 character thing (probably what Thani was referring to in her spoilers)

Edited by bufkus

49 minutes ago, bufkus said:

pretty sure that guy had recruited Lysithea pre-timeskip and he was just re-recruiting her post-timeskip. Some of the students you recruited you end up fighting and have to beat and then persuade to rejoin you.

Nah, I recruited Lysithea pre-skip on the Eagles route and she remained with Edelgard post-skip. Though that might not be the case for all characters, considering some have more personal stakes in the conflict than others. 

1 hour ago, bufkus said:

edit: nevermind i might be wrong as someone mentioned the 1 character thing (probably what Thani was referring to in her spoilers)

On GD, everyone I had recruited pre-skip (students and faculty/knights) rejoined me immediately after the intro battle (which was just Byleth + Golden Deer 8).

Spoiler

Some convos reveal that it would be incredibly unlikely for anyone from your pre-skip house to fight for their home countries anyway. I.e. in the last pre-time skip month, Edelgard stripped Ferdinand and his family of their title, wealth, and lands, leaving him little incentive to fight for her. Caspar also spent the time-skip running away from home and floating around various resistance groups before reuniting with the Golden Deer.

Edited by Moonlit Knight

13 minutes ago, Moonlit Knight said:

On GD, everyone I had recruited pre-skip (students and faculty/knights) rejoined me immediately after the intro battle (which was just Byleth + Golden Deer 8).

Hide contents

Some convos reveal that it would be incredibly unlikely for anyone from your pre-skip house to fight for their home countries anyway. I.e. in the last pre-time skip month, Edelgard stripped Ferdinand and his family of their title, wealth, and lands, leaving him little incentive to fight for her. Caspar also spent the time-skip running away from home and floating around various resistance groups before reuniting with the Golden Deer.

yeah I think it's only certain students you have to fight and they vary per path. like ashe was mentioned though i can't recall which path.

1 minute ago, bufkus said:

yeah I think it's only certain students you have to fight and they vary per path. like ashe was mentioned though i can't recall which path.

I fought Ashe but I didn’t recruit him pre-skip (and couldn’t recruit him post-skip).

1 minute ago, Deatheggx56 said:

Update, just beat the BE path, kind of felt like there should of been more to it, but oh well. Ill be updateing the guide soon with new info!

For whatever reason, the true BE path is six chapters/months shorter than the others.