Male/Female Byleth Comparison

Just found this video, and I thought it would be interesting to share here.

I remember seeing a post about which version of Byleth is better somewhere around here like few days ago, so I thought it would be fitting to start this topic lol. Although really both of them are the same person, so it seems silly to compare them that much, but I AM happy to see that IS focused on small details to make them feel different (Or at least that's what I got from the video that I posted)

Edited by Rose482

She looks so out of place and thrown in. I have a guess that the game originally didn't intend for her to be a thing (Byleth is closer to a dragon quest protagonist than an avatar) and the male version was intended to be the only one or primary focus. By the time they decided on including playable female byleth, they had to redo the animations and CGI.

Might also explain why she's a bit more expressive during in-game model cutscenes.

21 minutes ago, Duke of Dozel said:

She looks so out of place and thrown in. I have a guess that the game originally didn't intend for her to be a thing (Byleth is closer to a dragon quest protagonist than an avatar) and the male version was intended to be the only one or primary focus. By the time they decided on including playable female byleth, they had to redo the animations and CGI.

Might also explain why she's a bit more expressive during in-game model cutscenes.

Honestly, I'd imagine it'd be the other way around, what with F!Byleth's romance options. Her design stands out more too, though not in a good way if you ask me. 

30 minutes ago, Duke of Dozel said:

Agreed completely its no wonder FeMC felt on the wayside everywhere.

Edited by Dorothea Joestar Arnold

Yeah, she really looks like she wasn't there from the start of development. I'd hope that the later cutscenes have more expressive animation for her (since this was probably the first thing that was animated with her in it) but I'm not getting my hopes up. Her model is nice, notwithstanding the lower half of the outfit, though. 

Yeh, I'm just going to rehiterate my well known opinion lol

I love her, she's expressive, she's cute (nice that they made her shorter, too), the boots can even give a badass vibe. And I like that she's her own character and not just the male with longer hair (eg. Corrin). I don't dislike her armour either tbh, the only thing that's a bit weird is the exposed belly button, but it's anime.

On the other hand he's dead inside, but the thing I hate the most about him is the overgrown anime-protagonist hair (btw look up some pictures, from behind it's even more ridiculous).

If I have one thing that's going for M, it's that he fits a bit better the silent protagonist thing, but for example in supports (if s/he will talk) I'll probably prefer female.

tl;dr: she's lovely, he's tryharding to be an edgelord

I second that. Male Byleth is the quiet, dark, "kirito-like" swordsman, wich is a character type i don't like anymore. Female Byleth has a worse outfit, but she herself seems more lively and emotional. Ultimately i really don't like either. Maybe the girl with a DLC outfit, but i usually don't buy those.

Oh, yeah, she's definitely my favorite of the two protagonists. Actually, come to think of it, couldn't the odd bits of animation in the animated cutscene be just due to the fact that they don't want to emphasize the difference between the two so much? I mean, she's naturally more emotional with that face (and her model in the 3D cutscenes) but perhaps they wanted to keep a bit of the silent protagonist look? Rather than just having planned Byleth to be a non-customizable Lord, as I first jumped to. 

Male Byleth looks like a guy who pulls off the stoic look solely because he has no idea what he's doing but can't let his peers know that. In other words, a college student. Which is relatable to me. 

Plus it makes his rare smiles mean a lot more in my opinion. It's cute.

Edited by mrwanton

Full Sims-like character customisation when?

Anyway, the female version is a bit too feminine (or at least anime-feminine) for my tastes, but it's not a massive crime or anything like that. I just wish we could age her up to 30-ish, because this artist seems to be much better at drawing more mature ladies than young girls.

On the male side, while I'd also like M Byleth to be a bit older, it's unlikely to change much. I also remind myself that this game as a whole is infected by a plague of terrible facial hair, with the sole exception of Hanneman, so maybe it's just as well.

Back in Awakening I most definitely picked the older/taller Robin every time, though that amounts to one full playthrough as female, then an aborted Hard playthrough with male. It sucked not having that option for Corrin but as they have a fairly narrow window for what their age could be, it was palatable. But with that in mind, it's rather disappointing that not even the most basic customisation exists.

Note though that I've barely seen either Byleth in action so I'm basing my opinions on mostly static images, including the video thumbnail above.

I think you guys believe the female is more expressive because she has a bigass head, bigass eyes, and just looks rounder overall.

5 hours ago, Humanoid said:

Full Sims-like character customisation when?

I wish they had done something like this, its a strain on the presentation but at the same time it do not understand this regression.

Feels like they misunderstood the criticism of Corrin and are now afraid to do full customisation.

I do not see why though, FE could have always oriented itself somewhat more toward the Western-CRPG  which allows choices to define the character while playing.

That said, I do think that Byleth will turn out pretty well in the story.

2 minutes ago, Lord of Riva said:

I wish they had done something like this, its a strain on the presentation but at the same time it do not understand this regression.

Feels like they misunderstood the criticism of Corrin and are now afraid to do full customisation.

I do not see why though, FE could have always oriented itself somewhat more toward the Western-CRPG  which allows choices to define the character while playing.

That said, I do think that Byleth will turn out pretty well in the story.

It's been justified as being because Byleth is very prominent in cutscenes. While that might have been understandable in the 3DS era where in-engine cutscenes looked laughably bad (like, Final Fantasy 7 level bad, a game more than two decades old), surely the Switch has enough grunt to do proper high-quality in-engine cutscenes that have been a thing on other platforms for well over a decade.

But yeah, given all that, at least I have no major gripes about the default designs this time. If the same restrictions were applied to the previous games, I would never have played F Robin (pigtails are a no-no for me) and M Corrin (hair again, but also weird cheeks that can't be fixed) and that would have been a damned shame.

I don't think there's any saving male corrin. He looks stupid no matter how you customize him, and female body 1 isn't much better. But I did like the crazy afro she can get. I've always joked that because female corrin > male, it's reverse here, but to each their own.

3 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

I would never have played F Robin (pigtails are a no-no for me)

Are they pigtails? They've always looked weird.

14 minutes ago, Duke of Dozel said:

Are they pigtails? They've always looked weird.

I'm fuzzy on the definitions for hairstyles, but in this context I simply mean that the hair is tied once on each side. I hear the team twintail used more frequently in these circles, but I don't think I've ever heard it in real life, so it's probably a cultural thing.

Regardless though, my personal tastes when it comes to hair is that if you're going to tie it, to tie once, and tie it all. I'm not telling other people how to wear their hair of course, but it applies absolutely when I'm customising my own character. It's either short (any variety above the shoulders), in a medium-length ponytail (uhh, Subaki? I'm struggling to find that length ponytail on a female unit), or at a push, as a single braid (Titania).

Edited by Humanoid

12 hours ago, Flere210 said:

Male Byleth is the quiet, dark, "kirito-like" swordsman, wich is a character type i don't like anymore. Female Byleth has a worse outfit, but she herself seems more lively and emotional

Agreed. Overall I prefer the female avatar. Her hair is great and I'm really pleased with how they designed it. I also like that she's pretty tall (definitely taller than Edelgard and most of the other females) so that's a plus. As a tall woman myself, I like characters who are tall.

I prefer Male Byleth. His looks somewhat fit those of a teacher and I also like his stoic look. Makes him seem a bit more mature.

FByleth's is already missing parts of her armor and of her clothes but even putting that aside her eyes are just disturbingly big. I would have much preferred it if they made them both similar to each other.

#TeamFByleth rise up. Some might have already seen my opinions elsewhere, but I honestly adore her. I like how her reactions feel more real.

Meanwhile the guy makes the Pokémon protagonists from Sun and Moon look expressive. Not into the cliche always gloomy guy look. 

31 minutes ago, Silverly said:

#TeamFByleth rise up. Some might have already seen my opinions elsewhere, but I honestly adore her. I like how her reactions feel more real.

Meanwhile the guy makes the Pokémon protagonists from Sun and Moon look expressive. Not into the cliche always gloomy guy look. 

Well that's definitely wrong....

28 minutes ago, Dorothea Joestar Arnold said:

Well that's definitely wrong....

A different opinion than yours is "definitely wrong"...?

The type of character that M!Byleth has can be tiring to a lot of people, if only because it's everywhere (especially in anime). There's always a cool, silent and dark-ish guy, and belive me, after a while it gets boring (even worse if it looks like M!Byleth does, personally). It's the same reason I'm going to enjoy killing Felix.

8 minutes ago, timon said:

A different opinion than yours is "definitely wrong"...?

The type of character that M!Byleth has can be tiring to a lot of people, if only because it's everywhere (especially in anime). There's always a cool, silent and dark-ish guy, and belive me, after a while it gets boring (even worse if it looks like M!Byleth does, personally). It's the same reason I'm going to enjoy killing Felix.

Yes it is when its not true at all its fine to be wrong k.

Edited by Dorothea Joestar Arnold