Male/Female Byleth Comparison

12 minutes ago, Dorothea Joestar Arnold said:

Yes it is when its not true at all its fine to be wrong k.

But that's subjective. It is not a fact. People can have different opinions. Do I dislike M!Avatar? No. Do I like F!Avatar better? Yes. Is that wrong? No.

5 minutes ago, PrincessAlyson said:

But that's subjective. It is not a fact. People can have different opinions. Do I dislike M!Avatar? No. Do I like F!Avatar better? Yes. Is that wrong? No.

Not what was said nor do I care if you dislike whatever "mentions how S/M MC had more expression when they had only 2 in the entire game in the important parts" where lots of shots show the Byleths had way more so whether or not they were trying to be a smart you know that's objectively wrong nothing about dislike I was referring to.

Edited by Dorothea Joestar Arnold

5 minutes ago, Dorothea Joestar Arnold said:

where lots of shots show the Byleths had way more so whether or not they were trying to be a smart you know that's objectively wrong nothing about dislike I was referring to.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I'm glad the Avatars are more expressive this time around. I think I'll really enjoy the avatar aspect now that they seem more like actual people. Robin was fine and Corrin was just okay, but I'm definitely feeling Byleth! 

10 minutes ago, Dorothea Joestar Arnold said:

Not what was said nor do I care if you dislike whatever "mentions how S/M MC had more expression when they had only 2 in the entire game in the important parts" where lots of shots show the Byleths had way more so whether or not they were trying to be a smart you know that's objectively wrong nothing about dislike I was referring to.

I have some difficulties understanding what you're writing tbh (a bit of punctuation wouldn't hurt), but when people refer to "expressivity" they're not talking about how many animations a character has or how many appearences in trailers.

It's more about how the character comes off in the various situation, how they look and how they look at others, and to many the male doesn't feel very reactive or "alive". Example, Byleth looking up to Jeralt in that cutscene, while the female directs emotion, the male is just looking at his dad (at least to me, and evidently to a lot of other players too).

9 minutes ago, PrincessAlyson said:

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I'm glad the Avatars are more expressive this time around. I think I'll really enjoy the avatar aspect now that they seem more like actual people. Robin was fine and Corrin was just okay, but I'm definitely feeling Byleth! 

Yeah sorry about that should've quoted that particular part woops 😛

Edited by Dorothea Joestar Arnold

1 hour ago, Dorothea Joestar Arnold said:

Well that's definitely wrong....

Agreeing to disagree is one thing, but saying what boils down to “Your POV is wrong” rubs me the wrong way.

Admittedly I was exaggerating the similarities between the SM protags and M!Byleth at my possibly ill attempt at a cheap laugh, but in all honesty I’m not impressed with his facial range at all, even taking my bias into account.

6 minutes ago, Silverly said:

Admittedly I was exaggerating the similarities between the SM protags and M!Byleth at my possibly ill attempt at a cheap laugh, but in all honesty I’m not impressed with his facial range at all, even taking my bias into account.

Well that's where its the right moment is to agree to disagree but again whatever I want to move on from this!

10 hours ago, Humanoid said:

surely the Switch has enough grunt to do proper high-quality in-engine cutscenes that have been a thing on other platforms for well over a decade

There are 2D anime-like cutscenes as well in this game. So that's another reason. They are basically TV quality though, at least from what I've seen so far. So I'd probably sacrifice them for character creation unless they are very well directed.

As for male vs female, the female outfit is absolutely terrible. But other than that I think they're equally good.

Just now, Siskan said:

There are 2D anime-like cutscenes as well in this game. So that's another reason. They are basically TV quality though, at least from what I've seen so far. So I'd probably sacrifice them for character creation unless they are very well directed.

And they look great, however most modern games go with in-engine cutscenes. If they had done this they could have made full customization possible.

That said, that boat has sailed for better or for worse. That is something we will soon see, a full on Avatar is hardly necessary for a good FE.

7 minutes ago, Lord of Riva said:

And they look great

They look fine, but they're nothing spectacular. I've been more impressed with 3D cutscenes in some of the earlier games (even though I prefer 2D at its best), though I'm not complaining.

I agree that it isn't necessary to make a good FE. Neither of my favorites in the series had it.

Edited by Siskan

13 minutes ago, Siskan said:

They look fine, but they're nothing spectacular.

haha with the encroaching of always more CG in anime I may be over exaggerating the merit of the drawn sequences, but in that I am still kind a child of the 90s

I really like them 🙂

I find it weird how Three Houses has not 2, but three animation styles for cutscenes. Animation, CGI, and in-game. 

I don't think we've seen Byleth in animation yet, but in-game female byleth looks fine. My theory is that her scenes were done after the male's, which is why she's more expressive. I like it.

Not at all a fan of the CGI model. The slight blush on her make it seem like she just cried her huge eyes out, and bigger head + smaller body? Idk. 

2 minutes ago, Lord of Riva said:

I really like them

That's good. : )

Though it saddens me if we're reaching a point where anime is considered good just because they did something by hand... But yes, CG really stands out when they do it no matter how much they try to conceal it.

On 7/17/2019 at 10:01 AM, Hekselka said:

I prefer Male Byleth. His looks somewhat fit those of a teacher and I also like his stoic look. Makes him seem a bit more mature.

FByleth's is already missing parts of her armor and of her clothes but even putting that aside her eyes are just disturbingly big. I would have much preferred it if they made them both similar to each other.

100% Agree with everything said here.

Yeah, like many others F!Byleth has grown on me overtime(reeeally didn't like her design at first), moreso than M!Byleth. And these cut scenes solidified my preference for F!Byleth, she looks much better in terms of facial expression and reaction than the male to me.

On 7/17/2019 at 9:01 PM, Hekselka said:

I prefer Male Byleth. His looks somewhat fit those of a teacher and I also like his stoic look. Makes him seem a bit more mature.

Agreed. I find him more mature-looking than F!Byleth.

Most of my playthroughs will probably be M!Byleth. Idk why, but I find him maybe more fitting to the story overall? Maybe it's because of the promos at the beginning that included lots of M!Byleth, but yeah, he grew on me unlike F!Byleth. 

I didn't really pay much mind to how awful F Byleth's outfit is until her FEH incarnation was revealed just now. Maybe it's because the art is brighter, but it's so much more in-your-face there and by association my opinion of the version in 3H is somewhat diminished.

My two cents:

Male Byleth design definitely fits his stotic and stern personality, while also keeping this very mature and also mysterious aura about him.

Female Byleth's design has definitely been something I've warmed up to as time has gone on. Only issues I have is the showing belly button, which is quite dangerous to have showing open in your armor, and the really short shorts, which could've been a bit longer. But looking closely...both Byleths technically have the same amount of armor(minus the armor around the stomach), but female Byleth just has less clothes that cover her.

I will say though...it does give off the feeling that Female Byleth kinda feels like she mirrors Male Byleth.

Male Byleth seems mature, razor focused, and level-headed in most situations while keeping himself rather distinguished.

Female Byleth seems like more of a hot head(seeing how she seemed more ticked off when repelling the bandit)and her body language seems more relaxed and laid back. Plus she kinda gives off the feeling she's...like the other students...doing her own thing and still maturing as a person...which kinda fits with Byleth being around the same age as them(but that's not to say Male Byleth being more mature means he's older).

Plus I'm sure other characters in-game probably might have issue with her outfit, but she probably just wears it anyway because she's fine with it.

Won't lie...I like Female Byleth more. Belly button aside, she still covers her body mostly. Plus...a lot of girls in this series have their legs showing to a certain degree too...just a bit more refined.

It's kinda out of place in a medieval setting, but I'm more willing to accept it because it's more decent and ACTUAL clothing compared to whatever they had Camilla or female dark mages wearing in Fates...which isn't very hard to accomplish honestly. Point is...I don't roll my eyes when looking at Female Byleth's outfit. 

Female Byleth looks weird to me in the cutscenes. Her large eyes looking into space, and her proportions of her head.Not sure what to make from her rounder face. Male Byleth keeping a blank face might prove interesting, or complete uninterest at the major moments.