What will Byleth be doing during the Intermission

All speculation here, but any info released or leaked is fair game, so beware spoilers.  

So now that we all know there will be a time skip as all the graduates go back to their homelands.  What I haven’t seen much of is what our main character is going to be doing during those 5 years.  That got me thinking.  

I see see a couple possibilities.  

1) With the house leader - The first is that he goes back with the primary lord of the house he chose.  This seems to be the most likely to me.  The interesting question is why.  Do they offer him a better deal to serve as their chief tactician rather than his poor overworked and under appreciated teaching job/glorified babysitting (maybe they have dental?).  Perhaps he wants to quit because he has become disillusioned with the church?  Perhaps he is fired/exiled/forced to flee and seek asylum (perhaps his relation to Nemesis is discovered or he screws something up?).  Maybe he just doesn’t want to give up the bonds and friendships he has made (yawn).  Maybe he is disheartened by something like his father coming down with a sudden terminal case of anime parent syndrome and just wants a change of scenery/pace?

2) At Garreg Mach Monastery - The second is that he stays at the monastery.  He could remain a teacher (although it would be weird not to see 5 years worth of classes who could have been characters).  Maybe he stays on to help with Hanneman’s crest research?  Or perhaps he gets a position with the Knights of Seiros and basically spends 5 years on guard duty.  Perhaps rising tensions mean the academy is on hiatus for teaching students and Byleth does some other job for them (Cook?  Fishing instructor? Choir leader?  Saint Statue polisher? Weed cutter?).  The monastery certainly has no shortage of odd jobs without the students to do all the work.  

3) Sleeping - Thirdly, he might be in some sort of stasis/hibernation/outrealm, perhaps courtesy of the Church or Sothis (or Nemesis or the night stalkers or whatever they are called, etc.)  Whether to imprison him or heal/hide/protect him (think Breath if the Wild Link).  Or perhaps due to time travel powers “misfiring”. 

4) Elsewhere messing around - Finally he might spend his time elsewhere on Fodhlan.  Perhaps just wandering, perhaps on the run or in hiding after being expelled/exiled from the academy, or perhaps leading his father’s mercenary band if something were to happen to the current leader (Ike parallels - Byleth could basically just check out a few years fighting bandits and pirates while the political situation escalates out of hand).   Maybe serving as a foot soldier in an indecisive/long-running/low intensity conflict where not much happens?  Or perhaps becoming a knight of vengeance hunting down brigands operating without a licence.  

Well these are are just some theories to start the discussion.  What do all of you think is most likely?

Edited by DystopianAlphaOmega

plausibe: time warp shenanigans that cause blyeth to miss those timeskip years completely hence why they look the same.

implausible: sat in a basement for 5 years eating unleavened bread and unfiltered water.

byleth's a representation of the player, of course they spent 5 years in the basement

Seriously, though, I'd expect that they lost their job at the monastery, or formed such a deep bond with their students that they quit and went off to follow their house leader to their own country. It is sort of cliche, but at the same time, FE loves those sorts of cliches. 

Remember how the E3 trailer ends with Edelgard crying to Byleth to remember her?

I feel you will be involuntarily separated from your classes during the 5 years, probably some major plot twist here since clearly Nintendo put a NDA on it so no one talks about it.

The furthest cutscene we know so far is Edelgard propose everyone meeting back here exactly 5 years from now, so something must happened either that night, or soon after when the students leave. It's also weird how she's so claim here but emotional in the E3 trailer.

My guess is actually stasis, which makes the most sense grand storywise. But I am not sure why or by whom.

Edited by Timlugia

It'd be great if they extended the time management aspect to the intermission. Sort of like how some RPGs handle character creation by asking you what you were doing for a period of time, say one year at a time, and it'd affect your skills/stats/gear/cash. My Byleth started a Ponzi scheme and got filthy rich but is now on the run from angry investors.

I think Byleth time traveling forward is the most likely scenario. It would explain why their appearance doesn’t change at all in 5 years (we’ve seen the hair colour change happen pre-skip). And purely from a roleplay standpoint, it means there’s nothing the player needs to be “caught up” on that they weren’t there to control themselves. So no one will be left feeling “hey, my Byleth wouldn’t have done [x] for 5 years!”

Bad news if you don’t want there to be time travel shenanigans in the plot. At least if it’s one character jumping forward only, and missing the intervening years, there’s no paradoxes created? It also could be weird if you’re roleplaying Byleth as around 19, and Lysithea and Cyril are suddenly older than you.

Edited by Lynsanity
sentence structure

22 minutes ago, Lynsanity said:

I think Byleth time traveling forward is the most likely scenario. It would explain why their appearance doesn’t change at all in 5 years (we’ve seen the hair colour change happen pre-skip). And purely from a roleplay standpoint, it means there’s nothing the player needs to be “caught up” on that they weren’t there to control themselves. So no one will be left feeling “hey, my Byleth wouldn’t have done [x] for 5 years!”

Bad news if you don’t want there to be time travel shenanigans in the plot. At least if it’s one character jumping forward only, and missing the intervening years, there’s no paradoxes created? It also could be weird if you’re roleplaying Byleth as around 19, and Lysithea and Cyril are suddenly older than you.

lock them in a magic basement for 5 years so that they age well playing monopoly with sothis (sothis always eats the pieces)

35 minutes ago, NobodiePichu said:

lock them in a magic basement for 5 years so that they age well playing monopoly with sothis (sothis always eats the pieces)

Well that is a cruel and unusual punishment right there, Byleth would be completely insane by the 3rd game aka about halfway through the 5 years.  

Once thing I just remember now, in I believe IGN video, Sothis was angrily speaking to Byleth in his/her room about something about mission and "We are running against time here"

So looks like Sothis has some agendas that Byleth can't delay, I bet it will be related to the 5 year skip. Maybe Byleth was dying or something?

14 minutes ago, Timlugia said:

Once thing I just remember now, in I believe IGN video, Sothis was angrily speaking to Byleth in his/her room about something about mission and "We are running against time here"

So looks like Sothis has some agendas that Byleth can't delay, I bet it will be related to the 5 year skip. Maybe Byleth was dying or something?

could explain the whitening of the hair outside of super saiyaning. 

29 minutes ago, goodperson707 said:

Well that is a cruel and unusual punishment right there, Byleth would be completely insane by the 3rd game aka about halfway through the 5 years.  

gotta keep busy somehow. they paint a couple of rocks smiley faces with blyeths blood, call them cork and bork, and have them stand in for the other two players.

He used the power of his Stand, King Crimson Requiem, granting him unlimited time skip when he want, but he lost the arrow precisely after the 5 years time skip, so he got nerfed. And so, the ultimate plot twist is there: Byleth was blond all along, his green hair was actually just a result of Requiem.

In all seriousness, it'll be pretty boring if it was a time skip like the Master Sword, it cheapen the impact but on the other hand... a simple time skip cheapen the impact in the first place too, it's a lose-lose situation, but meh, we'll be seeing if it's good or not.

1 hour ago, Timlugia said:

Obviously, Sothis was talking about how much time Ms.Holly has left to live. Duh. 😛

Edited by B.Leu

he runs off to join the circus (smash bros.) with corrin and uses this to unite all his students in equal disapproval of this decision.

sothis is also annoyed due to having her own agendas which byleth is ignoring now.

Edited by thecrimsonflash

He probably literally skips tbh, we've seen the "ritual" of him "absorbing" Sothis or whatever that was, which is probably how his hair change. Then there's also the fact that he doesn't change AT ALL (and he's not customizable, so being the avatar is not an excuse). To all of this add that Sothis has time powers and voilà.

I'm curious about what they do with his/her age though, there was all this talk about how romance would be weird because they're your students, but then you skip time and suddenly it's weird because they all have 5 years on you. Unless Byleth's starting age is already older to fix this (but Ferdinand says that he's about their age so idk).

Sothis uses the last remnants of her powers to send him back in time and then disappears. His mission, if he chooses to accept it, is to bring adult Sothis from the past to the present. He completes the mission impossible, but unfortunately for him, there is a huge war going on in the present.

Simple, he'll be listening to this while he waits for the plot to start again.
- - - - - - - - - -

I want to say Byleth somehow gets knocked out during the climatic battle pre-timeskip or something happens that tosses him into the future. I don't think he will be present during the 5 years as Byleth doesn't seem to change much (aside from the hair) before and after the timeskip.