Famitsu Score – 9/9/10/9 [37/40]

Don't tend to put much faith in reviews but it's still nice to see that it has a positive score over a negative one.

34 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

That's bad...

I thought SoV was generally well liked though?

I know it didn't sell well but it was also released on a dying system even if Nintendo kept saying it wasn't.

1 minute ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Don't tend to put much faith in reviews but it's still nice to see that it has a positive score over a negative one.

I know it didn't sell well but it was also released on a dying system even if Nintendo kept saying it wasn't.

Depends on who you talk to.

Personally speaking, I love Echoes. The story and characters were both awesome, the music is some of the franchise's best (and that's pretty high praise), and the overall art and presentation is phoenominal. Battle animations are a joy to watch too.

And personally speaking, I don't view the gameplay as the unholy abomination so many try to label it as. Sure, the maps aren't great, but I didn't think they were horrible either. Just really average.

In any case, Famitsu evidently loved 15. They also evidently love 16. This is a good sign unless you automatically distrust their judgement for liking 15, but it's fair to say that 16 was pretty clearly inspired by older titles (... and yet, more recent than 2).

1 minute ago, NegativeExponents- said:

I don't really hang around FE discussion outside FEH, so I don't have a great sense of how the community views it. Personally though, of the five mainline FE games I've played, it is by some distance the least enjoyable. For context, I've only played the 3DS games, Blazing Sword and Sacred Stones.

By way of brief explanation, I would describe SoV like this: When you faithfully remake a mediocre game, don't be surprised if the remake is equally mediocre. It's a polished, well-presented product, but neither the core gameplay (the maps and combat mechanics) nor the window dressing (the dungeoneering, the hidden object pixel hunts) were enjoyable to me. If I had to give it a numerical rating, I'd say 6/10.

2 minutes ago, Parrhesia said:

In any case, Famitsu evidently loved 15. They also evidently love 16. This is a good sign unless you automatically distrust their judgement for liking 15, but it's fair to say that 16 was pretty clearly inspired by older titles (... and yet, more recent than 2).

This was a hint to kill the segue.

1 hour ago, Humanoid said:

That's good!

That's bad...

Damn, I nearly spilled my drink on reading that one, such a dry Humor. 

Im not really sure how Famitsu is aligned with Nintendo, are they directly related?

It's just they are always mentioned when it comes to nintendo products, or is it just a big japanese Outlet without any ties to the devs (and notorious by just giving out hight scores)

1 minute ago, Lord of Riva said:

Damn, I nearly spilled my drink on reading that one, such a dry Humor. 

Im not really sure how Famitsu is aligned with Nintendo, are they directly related?

It's just they are always mentioned when it comes to nintendo products, or is it just a big japanese Outlet without any ties to the devs (and notorious by just giving out hight scores)

They're always mentioned when it comes to any high profile Japanese game.

1 minute ago, Sentinel07 said:

They're always mentioned when it comes to any high profile Japanese game.

then I guess i do not inform myself much about other Franchises nearly as much prior to release 😛

So it's basically Japanese IGN ?

I honestly can't wait to see what idiocy IGN will say this time. Like that time they docked points off RD for not integrating gimmicky motion controls or using Miis in the game or that time they docked points off SoV because you couldn't ship characters together like Celica/Saber.

Edit: Also, "Fire Emblem: Three Heroes for the Nintendo 3DS"

Edited by NegativeExponents-

8 minutes ago, Lord of Riva said:

So it's basically Japanese IGN ?

Basically.

Famitsu is level 1. If you can't get a good score there, things aren't looking too good for you. Still, that's something.

1 minute ago, Cysx said:

Basically.

Famitsu is level 1. If you can't get a good score there, things aren't looking too good for you. Still, that's something.

Thanks 😄

Well anyways, while I don't like IGN generally i do agree that SoV was around that score (i would see it a tad lower though).

Having such a high score on such an outles at least shows that there are no major flaws with the game, I guess. Not that expected any from what we have seen so far.

Yeah although I didn't like Echoes gameplay, maps and short length wise which I feel should've made it lower this isn't cause of alarm its obviously gonna be much better than it especially being a new entry and not a remake. While Famitsu reviews tend to be generous to some more questionable games and their reviews in general are the smallest this still is a near perfect score and from other previews this is really good.

Edited by Dorothea Joestar Arnold

3 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

I honestly can't wait to see what idiocy IGN will say this time.

I'm in the same boat. IGN has so many stupid reviews that it's almost entertainment to see them. One of my favorite games ever was rated a 4 because they couldn't get past one of the early levels (which really isn't that difficult lol) and ignored the amazing story (seriously IGN, on what planet does Pokemon Mystery Dungeon deserve a 4/10!?). But anyway, I'm happy to see that Three Houses has a good score on Famitsu, even if some of their reviews have been questionable. Better positive than negative. 

1 hour ago, PrincessAlyson said:

(seriously IGN, on what planet does Pokemon Mystery Dungeon deserve a 4/10!?)

This one unfortunately, where it completely wastes the Pokemon IP on rote, procedurally generated, +50 floor dungeons.

Meanwhile SoV was the best Fire Emblem game to date, and this comment is to illustrate that video game assessments are like 90% subjective.

Just now, Nio said:

So.... would like to know, when the reviews are out, who/what site would be a good indicator of the game real score?

Your mind is the only place the "real score" exists. Wait for that review.