Games you can't seem to finish no matter what

Rapier

For games that have no end, consider "finish" as "complete whichever is your main goal for that particular run".

- Stardew Valley: I never get past early autumn, either because I got tired of watering the crops, or because I've been playing it for too long and I'm burned out at that point. Then, when I'm feeling like playing it again, I restart my run because at that point I forgot what I was planning to do.

- My Time at Portia: Same as above, pretty much.

- RimWorld: I either get a game over due to all my colonists dying, or I give up after an ingame year for the same reasons as above. The game gets repetitive quickly, other games may catch my attention and, when I'm back, I've forgotten what I was supposed to do, and that base I built 3 weeks or months ago simply doesn't feel mine.

- Terraria: It gets repetitive very quickly to me. I don't think it aged well too - mining becomes a chore (and I'd rather not do any duplication trick) and the enemy AIs aren't that interesting, it's just not really that good with its platforming elements compared to other games, although at the time it felt unique enough for me.

- Dishonored: I've finished the game before, but I never did so on its pacifist run. I always do a genocide run before going for the pacifist route, but by the time I'm done with a run, I'm too tired to go with the other. And when I play it again, I want to start with the genocide run (come on, the gameplay's pretty much made for abusing Corvo's powers!), so...

- XCOM: I think I got close to its final boss, but yeah, same problem. It has a pretty good gameplay that gets tiresome quickly (to me, at least). By the time you're in your 90th mission to kill the same aliens with more or less the same tactics, I'm already considering it might not be worth to continue.

Edited by Rapier

- Shadowverse is one of those quick play games I can never actually get a game in. Somebody always needs to call me, someone comes in to work on a slow day, my opponenet or I disconnect. It's really fun, and I like it more than MTG's standard but I can never seem to get in a single game.

there's a single map ofĀ valkyria chronicles i always get angry and stuck on and Gamer Quit the game Forever ā„¢ļø

i have the bad feeling i will never finish valkyria chronicles

Oh boy...

• Wind Waker- I can clear all the Temples, but never have I done the Triforce Shard Hunt. Partly it's cowardice of all things, me and the Ghost Ship, despite me knowing real well the petty scares in advance.
  • Skyward Sword- Imprisoned Third Battle just flabbergasted me that it existed, I really struggled with the second, and never came back to finish this.
  • Adventure of Link- Made to the penultimate dungeon.
  • OoT3D Master Quest- Petty scares from the Bottom of the Well and the Shadow Temple, it was enough to deter me. I never mustered the courage for this, despite doing so for both on the normal quest.
  • Triforce Heroes- The Lady is not made for single player, her tennis match stops me cold.
  • New Super Mario Bros.- The penultimate non-bonus level I think stopped me.
  • New Super Mario Bros. Wii- One of the later levels, I forget which.
  • New Super Mario Bros. U- The finalĀ level.
  • Super Mario Land 2: Six GoldĀ Coins- Never completed the final level.
  • Super Mario Bros 3.- For some reason, I stopped towards the end of Pipe Land. Old game is old school hard.
  • Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3- Never completed the final level.
  • Wario Land 3- Never found the last couple of treasures in like two levels, nor have I taken on the final boss.
  • Thracia 776- I just haven't mustered the will to finish 24x and 25. I feel impatient and that is no good, I have to be in just the right mood. But these chapters by themselves should be easy. Since I stare at this every day I'm on my computer, I should get this done soon.
  • Final Fantasy Tactics- Made it to the end of Part 1, but the game was hard and the gameplay was so slow. I'm not sure I can ever return to this style of SRPG again.
  • Guacamelee!: Super Turbo Championship Edition- To get the good ending, I have to complete this tree canopy area, and the platforming there is intense, with the potential to eventually die if you make too many mistakes, and thus have to start all over again.
  • Stretchmo- Got stuck on Corvin's second to last puzzle, have been too lazy to find the solution for it online.
  • Metroid: Samus Returns- The Diggerbot stopped me, and I just never returned to it.
  • Tales of Graces F- My old PS3 died when I was maybe two dungeons from the last. I lost the data and therefore never returned to this. The gameplay was good enough, but the plot fizzled away and the characters were rather dull.
  • SMT: Strange Journey- Met Jack's Squad, but haven't picked up the game since. I like it, but Demon Sources being more or less a one-time get, and the restrictive fusion were impediments for me.Ā 
  • Blaster Master Zero- I went back the earlier areas after defeating the boss of Area 7 and getting into Area 8. But I can't figure out how I return to Area 8, it seems problematic.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2- Really delved deep into this game, all the way to Chapter 10Ā and I like it. But, it just wore me out over all those hours. Yet by not finishing this, I feel like IĀ can't fully participate in Xeno- discussions, which is annoying.
  • Rune Factory 2- I spent way too long in the 1st Gen. And I feel disappointedĀ out by the fact the 2nd Gen doesn't give me Aaron and Aria, despite the second opening teasing me with the two adorably together.
  • Rune Factory 3- Finishing the story means having to pick a bride, and I'm afraid of commitment. I think I made it to the Fall dungeon boss, and I am strong enough to tackle the rest of the game.
  • Rune Factory Tides of Destiny- Made it all the way to the final dungeon's entrance. But the slow pace of RF wore me out by this point. Maybe it'd be better if I ever played RF again, to focus on the dungeons and ignore building character bonds until after I'm well done with the not-dungeon stuff. That might make things play faster, not doing daily rounds of talking to everyone twice to get a little easyĀ FP/LP.

Ā 

...There are yet more things I might be forgetting.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

For the longest time, FFXII was one. I committed to beating it like 5 times before actually beating it. Each time I'd get a little further, from 2006 when it came out to 2014ish when I finally tried out the ZIJS version on an emulator.

After that, most Bethesda games. Haven't beaten one since Fallout 3, since the lead ups to the climaxes of their games always fall flat with me, and their endings are almost always pretty flaccid, too. I'll play through Skyrim every few years and just play for 20-30 hours and never even get to the point where dragons start showing up(Because fuck dragons in Skyrim).

Edited by Slumber

Time to go old school with

Slaves to Armok: God of Blood Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress - A game so incompletable that the creators speculate they will not finish creating it in their lifetime (don't worry the most recent release is always available for free on their website). Often simply refereed to as Dwarf Fortress, this iconic inspiration for mine craft is one of the most ambitious games out there, with the origional main mode starting with you managing an small group of dwarfs trying to carve out a new future in a wild procedurally generated world. This game is brutally difficult and extremely complex. For an example of the game's complexity, an overview of how to create a steel battle axe is hidden in this spoiler box due to length

Spoiler

First you would need to dig out some minerals that are iron ore (so a dwarf with a pickaxe mining for Hematite, Magnetite, or Limonite), then you need to smelt that down into iron bars.Ā  This requires an architect to plan out the smelter, and a mason or metalsmith make it out of stone or metal, just for the building. Now you need to burn fuel to smelt that ore into metal requiring you to either cut down some wood and use a wood furnace (architectĀ and a mason or metalsmith needed to build it) to refine it down to charcoal, or refine bituminous coal or lignite down to coke using a smelter (which also requires fuel, but produces far more fuel). Once you smelt an iron bar you can smelt that down with a flux stone (Calcite, Chalk, Dolomite, Limestone, or Marble) and extra fuel (so 2 fuel total as it takes a fuel for each of these smelting processes) for implanting carbon, and that pig iron can be smelted with another iron bar, flux stone, and extra fuel into 2 bars of steel. Now one of those bars of steel can be forged into a battle axe if you have a metalsmithing forge. Now you only need a weaponsmith, armorer, blacksmith, or metalcrafter, plus some metal or stone, and far more importantly an anvil, to construct that. With a forge you can then have a weaponsmith take one of those steel bars and burn some fuel to forge that steel battle axe.

You will probably loss your first few games... horribly, so just remember the old Dwarf Fortress motto: Losing is Fun!. So go out there and have some fun with the everlasting Dwarf Fortress šŸ˜› .

Final Fantasy 7:Ā I liked this game and i played all the way to Gold Saucer and i kinda just don't have the motivation to keep playing. I think that comes from my general uninterest in the Final Fantasy series. I was playing 7 to say that i've played it but maybe that wasn't such a good idea.

Valkyria Chronicles:Ā I'm still on the second to last chapter. The game had the audacity to make me actually need to use Lancers after they've been useless for the past 19 chapters. I don't wanna grind, man.

Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean:Ā This is a game i keep meaning to go back to but i never do. I've just been focusing my attention on other games. I want to finish it because it's a Monolith Soft game, but i just haven't gotten to it.

-FE4: I've picked up the game like...4 times and I keep putting the game down for whatever reason. I would always stop on Chapter 2.Ā I actually started over again since I need to fill the massive FE crave I have have right nowĀ thanks toĀ Three HousesĀ and I'm on Chapter 5 now. Gotta say, having a good time...but not as much as I would hope.

-Dark Cloud: I am LITERALLY at the Final Boss, but I can't seem to beat it. Try a couple times and I still was stuck. I put the game down and said I would come back to it...that was about 3 years ago btw...

-Persona 3: I swear I've restarted this game like 5 times at this point. I get REALLYĀ  far into the game, put it down for a while, and when I come back...I have no idea what I doing before...and I start over. Ā 

-(almost)EVERY Final Fantasy Game: I don't know why, but every FF game I play...I never finish. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,10,12, & 15.Ā The closest ones I've come to finish are 3 and 10. I'm at the endgame of 10 and wanted to get all the extra goodies before going for the final boss. 3...has a BS final Boss and you have to go through a long dungeon with tough enemies and other bossesĀ before fighting them...without being able to save saving at any point when you get in.

-Dragon Quest 8: This one is actually due to just back luck. Almost every copy of DQ8 (PS2) I've gotten...has something wrong with it. 1st disc wouldn't play the starting cutscene(so I couldn't play at all). Second disc let me play a good 20 or so hours. It was right before I got access to my own ship that a cutscene plays...and freezes. Nothing I did fixed the issues. I think I had a third disc, but it also crap.Ā Ā 

-Valkyrie Chronicles: This one was mainly due to my new desktop not working for PC games for a while(had a bad ram stick...took a long time to figure out). Funny enough...I actually was on one of the extra chapters where you need to rescue some hostages and I kinda took a break from the game because I am a big chicken in those kinds ofĀ stealth missionsĀ didn't want to screw up...and I kinda marathoned the game up to that point(40+ Hours over the span of a week or two).

Either way...I just need a good time to jump back in because I've been eager to play it again...but a lot of other stuff has my attention at the moment(especially since I still need to play VC4)!

5 hours ago, Specta said:

there's a single map ofĀ valkyria chronicles i always get angry and stuck on and Gamer Quit the game Forever ā„¢ļø

i have the bad feeling i will never finish valkyria chronicles

Hhhmmm...would that happen to be...

Ā 

the mission whereĀ Alicia hurts her ankle and you need to get her and Welkin through the forest, sneaking past enemy soldiers while it's atĀ night?

I ask because that's the only chapter that I remember dying a lot on because there's a part close to the end that rather easy to die on. It's kinda trial and error.Ā 

Unless it's...

Ā 

The boss fight withĀ Maximilian's GiantĀ Tank and Selvaria Ā 

which is also another roadblock.

...Actually...the game has a good couple of hard chapters now that I think about it...:sweatdrop:

Edited by Busterman64

Echoing @Interdimensional Observer: "Oh boy"...

Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires - Been trying to get the Platinum trophy for the longest time now. But the last two things I need to do are almost entirely dependent on chance. I think I'll settle for my 82% clearance...

Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Complete Edition - I was trying to get the hypothetical stories for all factions, but the requirements to get them are 1) freaking obscure as fuck and 2) incredibly hard, because some objectives require you to be in 2 places at once (my most hated aspect of any Warriors game that incorporates it), and 3) with those that require the A.I. to do something (mostly surviving) and the A.I. being what it is in the Warriors games... ugh.

Fire Emblem Fates - Been meaning to play Revelation on Hard to finally finish all three paths on that difficulty. Three guesses as to why I never did that (hint: mad bap sedign).

YS VIII Lacrimosa of Dana - Any playthrough at all. I don't know. I picked the game up on a whim, then played it for a bit and put it down. Haven't picked it up since. I can't even pinpoint the reason why, as the parts I've played until I put it down I absolutely adored.

Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey Redux - A game littered with bullshit difficulty and horrid dungeon design. Adding to that the uninteresting main cast and... Oof. I just can't bring myself to finish the thing, no matter how many times I try.

Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology - Great characters, great story. Incredibly dull gameplay. Unsurprisingly, I dropped this game somewhere before what I assume is the final boss.

The Alliance Alive - If the progression system and difficulty spikes weren't so glaring, I'd have long since finished the game. Also, half the main cast is either boring or unlikeable. It has a great combat system and a very interesting story, but those three things I mentioned earlier just prevent me from going back to it.

Pokemon Sun: After seeing how certain battles (and these are wild battles) can drag out in this game, and especially after playing Persona 4 Golden (and 3 Portable) and witnessing how quick and easy the battles are, I just don't have the patience for level grinding in Pokemon anymore. I wonder if I should just do all of my grinding in my Pokemon Y, and transfer those Pokemon over to Sun...

Edited by henrymidfields

I'd like to add one more game to my list:

Labyrinth of Refrain - Coven of Dusk - For one simple reason: This game kicked my feels so much, I'm still bleeding. Taking a break from this game didn't help, because Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 2 put the final nail in the coffin with its Conquest Route... my poor heart can't take so many feels at once.
Don't let the wacky premise, characters, and fun character creation (you can even give them a bio and a nickname!) deceive you. Labyrinth of Refrain does NOT pull any punches in the feels department.
I actually recommend to check this game out if you like challenging dungeon crawlers, and stories that aren't afraid to deal with some pretty heavy stuff.

Edited by DragonFlames

Persona 4 - It's been 2 years. Still stuck in early stage where the group had just rescued the closeted guy. Maze exploration is my least favorite aspect in most games.

SD Gundam Generation Overworld- 3 years. JustĀ reached final stage about a month ago. For each chapter I finished I need to take at least one month break because it is too exhausting for me.

Cold Steel 2- A year and a half.Ā Ā The gameplay gets boring and having to follow a guide to collect all rewards is a bit exhausting, but if I just play blindly then it gets bored. (I hate open world games that wants the player to "explore")

Devil Survivor 2- Save file corrupted right before the final path choosing chapter. I have another save file but that was few chapters ago and I already lost the enthusiasm.Ā 

Summon night 5- Got busy with college assignments right before the final boss. afterwards just lose interest in it. about a year and a half as well.

Damn I just realized the list is longer than I expected. Got to clear some of these out yet.

Any 3D Castlevania that lacks the word "darkness" in it's name proves impossible for me to sit through.

Metroid Prime 2 Echoes I got stuck on that damn fish boss because my FPS skills are abnormally bad. (Looking it up it might be the "Alpha Blogg". I kept meaning to go back to it, then a new game would come out and then I wouldn't. Now I just about need to start over because I wouldn't remember anything because it's been years.

The gameboy version of Battletoads. Unlike the other games in the series, I haven't had the time to invest in learning the levels, and thus it remains the missing gem in my crown. Probably doesn't help I've only had it a short time by comparison.

Pokemon Moon- I just ended up burned out on Pokemon like really burned out. It might have been the insanity that lead to me deciding to get one of every species (all evolutions included) by a lot of trading/breeding in my copy of Y, but after that Moon kind of... felt like a chore more than an adventure. I intend to go back eventually, but when that'll be I don't know.

Rayman- The whole series. I just end up losing interest a bit before the end and I don't even know why. It's one of those things where I mean to go back and never do.