Kyoto Animation fire

Ottservia

so yeah that happened. Honestly I am utterly heartbroken by the news. As a huge Kyoto animation fan, this news is just terrible. This studio has brought to life so many amazing anime like K-on, the melancholy of haruhi suzumiya, kobayashi’s dragon maid, a silent voice, and many more. They are also one of the few anime studios who are actually ethical in their treatment of their staff. The arsonist responsible is in police custody but I still wonder what would compel a man to do this. Oh well I just hope the victims and their families are alright

Yeaaaaaah, this isn't the kind of news I ever wanted to see when coming home from work. No matter the reason this is absolutely unforgiveable. So many deaths lost in the most cruel of ways. Absolutely horrible.

I wish the best to the families of the employees.

Edited by Hekselka

From my understanding this is quite possibly the biggest mass killing in Japan in recent history. That cult gas attack from the 90s hospitalized thousands, but the casualties were much less than this. The exits were apparently barricaded by the perp. Honestly fuck that guy.

My heart goes out to them. Apparently the Nichijou/Dragon Maid director died. A majority died from cardiac arrest. What a painful way to go.

9 minutes ago, redlight said:

Apparently the Nichijou/Dragon Maid director died. A majority died from cardiac arrest. What a painful way to go.

Really?! That’s horrible. I absolutely loved dragon maid and it’s heartbreaking to see him go like that.

10 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Really?! That’s horrible. I absolutely loved dragon maid and it’s heartbreaking to see him go like that.

Actually

Let's pray for the best.

EDIT:

Edited by Hekselka

I was talking with a friend on Discord when i saw the news and it was a very sad thing to see before going to sleep. Some of my favorite anime came from KyoAni so this is depressing to see. KyoAni had one of the best working conditions so i don't understand the motive for arson, assuming there was a motive to begin with. I hope those who were affected by this tragedy can get the help they need.

A lot of my favorites were made by KyoAni, but even if that weren't the case, this is despicable. They are objectively among the best studios out there both in quality of their work and how they treat their animators. The monster who did this deserves the worst that can come to him.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

KyoAni had one of the best working conditions so i don't understand the motive for arson, assuming there was a motive to begin with.

This.

Just sadness and confusion.  If anyone finds a report clarifying the motive of the arson, please update this thread?

I already read reports that the suspect wasn’t former employee...

33 dead. That makes this the worst criminal mass murder incident in post-WW2 Japan. It feels so surreal that something of this caliber happened to an animation studio known for wholesome shows. 

29 minutes ago, Rioma said:

*snip*

Suspect is still unID (and should stay that way) but according to NHK, he apparently thought Kyoani "stole his ideas". The only other information we have is his age and the fact that he robbed a convience store back in 2012 (which he was arrested for). It's safe to say he's quite clearly unhinged.

Edited by Soapbar

18 hours ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Apparently, there were roughly about 70 staff members in there.

What was the motivation behind this?

I had read the guy accused them of stealing his IP a year or so ago and went postal over it. I am not sure how much truth there is to it, though things like that have happened in the past so it's not an impossibility. Even if true, setting the place ablaze is a pretty crazy response though. I would not be surprised if he had a bunch of other issues and that (Assuming it were true) was the trigger.

1 minute ago, Camus The Dark Knight said:

I had read the guy accused them of stealing his IP a year or so ago and went postal over it. I am not sure how much truth there is to it, though things like that have happened in the past so it's not an impossibility. Even if true, setting the place ablaze is a pretty crazy response though. I would not be surprised if he had a bunch of other issues and that (Assuming it were true) was the trigger.

I'm assuming he had other issues.

Supposedly the penalty for arson in Japan, especially if it kills someone, is death, but I'm not sure if that's true.