New Heroes Approach: Three Houses (July 22 ~)

Coolmanio

1 minute ago, Rezzy said:

Claude is a guy from FE4.  They also reused Lorenz, who is from Marthland.  There may be others I don't remember or am unaware of.

I've never heard of those other characters. I guess they're really minor. Also, this localization team (and maybe the Japanese team) may have forgotten or not have known those other characters existed either, since they're from years ago.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

I've never heard of those other characters. I guess they're really minor. Also, this localization team (and maybe the Japanese team) may have forgotten or not have known those other characters existed either, since they're from years ago.

FE4 Claude isn't super prominent, but he has Holy Blood and is one of the potential fathers for Gen 2 kids.  Lorenz is the archetype for honorable enemy general who you recruit, like Douglas, Duessel, or Tauroneo

Honestly kind of shocked they dumped all four of these in one banner instead of milking it with individual house banners. And maybe like, both Byleths, Jeralt, and Rhea on another banner.

~Gee Edelgarde, just say you wanna be left alone next time. Don't gotta make it so painfully obvious...

~Can't say Dimitri looks all that impressive at first glance. Conditional follow-up is kinda neat, but kinda limits him to either be good for one battle of, more likely, as a quick picke-offer kinda unit. The kind you send in to clean up.

~Claude... I guess he's be good for a debuffing team. He will love Daggers.

~FemByleth... ohey Fury 4's in the normal pool now. Otherwise 20% of Foes Atk, or 40% of a dragons Atk... sorry, that doesn't sound that good. At worst it'll be 8 additional damage, 16 on a dragon, but if I wanna counter a Dragon... well, that's what Falchion and Naga are for.

I dunno what to really say about these guys. I dunno how they're supposed to be in Three Houses. Are they not at all like their original selves?

8 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Why are they reusing so many names in 3H?  It's not like they're at risk of running out of names, but having two Fire Emblem Claudes is confusing. 

FE4 is Claud.

Three Houses is Claude.

VERY clear difference, uncultured one... just kidding just kidding.

I very much like the fact that Three Houses seems intent on giving everyone a last name for proper disambiguation. I recently started playing FF14 and was dreading the character creation process as it's always hell to get a decent name on an old MMO, especially on busy servers. It was an exceedingly pleasant surprise to be able to get my desired name with no fuss whatsoever, and it's because of the trivial addition of last names. All games need to do this.

21 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Wow, I didn't expect this trailer until tomorrow at the soonest. Really surprised.

Yeah, IIRC normal trailer schedule would say either tomorrow or Saturday.

10 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

Units with new skills have been demoted before, though the only ones I remember off the top of my head are Libra and Brady...

Some other 4-5* units that introduced inheritable skills from 2018-2019:

• L'Arachel (Res Tactic)
  • Male Morgan (Dull Ranged)
  • Nanna (Restore)
  • Shigure (Harmonic Lance, Darting Stance)
  • Ares (Seal Def/Res)
  • Legault (The Cleaner)
  • Silvia (Barrier Blade, Deluge Dance)
  • Silas (Even Def Wave)
  • Reyson (Fortify Beasts)
  • Thea (Vanguard)
  • Mordecai (Beast Exp)

So, all of them since L'Arachel, as far as I can tell. Some less noteworthy than others, admittedly.

I wouldn't bet on Claude demoting, but I wouldn't rule it out either.

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

They're regular playable characters, just from games you haven't played.

It's not hard to check names against a list. Magic the Gathering has 19,000 cards and makes about a thousand more each year and has to make them all have unique names, they do it by running a search to verify that new ones haven't been used already.

2 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

~Claude... I guess he's be good for a debuffing team. He will love Daggers.

The way I'm reading it is that the separate stats are counted separately so that even a simple Hone Cavalry would add up to +12 and thus activate his bonus. If this is not the case then he's going to find himself at the bottom of my list, quicksmart.

1 minute ago, Othin said:

They're regular playable characters, just from games you haven't played.

It's not hard to check names against a list. Magic the Gathering has 19,000 cards and makes about a thousand more each year and has to make them all have unique names, they do it by running a search to verify that new ones haven't been used already.

Well then, you'd have thought they'd check for proper pronunciation of certain names too, but they didn't do that for Sothe and Yune, characters whose names had pronunciations in RD, but now have different ones in Heroes. And also, Lyon has two different pronunciations in Heroes alone. Eirika says "Leon" while Ephraim says "Lee-ohn." So...

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Well then, you'd have thought they'd check for proper pronunciation of certain names too, but they didn't do that for Sothe and Yune, characters whose names had pronunciations in RD, but now have different ones in Heroes. And also, Lyon has two different pronunciations in Heroes alone. Eirika says "Leon" while Ephraim says "Lee-ohn." So...

True. It's not a good reason, but for a team cutting enough corners, it's a possible reason.

It's hard for me to be excited for a banner with characters from a game I haven't played yet (or even out yet for that matter). Easy skip for me but at least all of them have good skill fodder if I end up getting pitybroken by any of them someday, especially F!Blyeth with her having Wrath and Even Atk Wave and finally bringing Fury 4 into the main summoning pool. So I guess both male and female Blyeth are going to be wielding the same prf weapon and be infantry sword units huh?

Edited by NSSKG151

35 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Claude is a guy from FE4.  They also reused Lorenz, who is from Marthland.  There may be others I don't remember or am unaware of.

They also even reused an Awakening name (Cordelia), albeit as a last name (Lysithea’s).

Can't help but feel Dimitri and Claude got shafted here. Both are cavalier and have only 4 skills :\. Meanwhile, Edelgard and F!Byleth are both infantry (which means higher BST) and come with 5 skills. F!Byleth is especially decked out, with a preference special AND tier 4 A-skill. I know FEH has generally had a waifu bias, but as a Blue Lion, I feel more disappointed about it here.

All that being said, Dimitri seems like he'll be interesting to use. His weapon is a bit clunkier to use than Ephraim's Flame Sigmund, but giving him a skill like Savage Blow could make it easier for him to meet his weapon's condition after his first combat. Claude looks nice too, though I'm confused by his weapon. Do the debuffs work only when he's in combat or can his allies use it too?

As for the GHB unit, Kronya, I'm just hoping she's a Dagger infantry unit cause that will give her hella jacked up BST like Legendary Alm. Its weird that her GHB will be starting so late though. Perhaps its to make way for another three houses banner?

Edited by FoxyGrandpa

1 hour ago, Sentinel07 said:

Also, this by no means says "Female Byleth is canon". Getting kind of sick of that mindset.

Says who?

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Oh yeah, of course only the women would have full ABC sets. 😕 I forgot IS hates men.

Their B skills are so sexy that I didn't notice! 😛

---

Claude made me laugh, and for that, I'm going ham on him.  Next would be Edelgard/Dimitri for fodder purposes, then Byleth because I'm a collector.  But IMO she inspires me the least.

I'd have preferred Edelgard be the cavalry unit and Dimitri be the infantry because of the balance of existing units, but can't have everything I suppose. Axe cavalry in general is really lacking, especially those with player phase potential, and likewise most lance infantry are defensive units. Swapping the two would have helped rectify both gaps.

P.S. I saw an earlier transliteration of Kronya as Cronje and now I can't help but associate her with the disgraced former South African cricket captain forever.

12 minutes ago, FoxyGrandpa said:

Claude does as well, though I'm confused by his weapon. Do the debuffs work only when he's in combat or can his allies use it too?

"During combat" is unambiguous in terms of precedent: only Claude himself will benefit from his effects (aside from the Def Smoke of course).

Edited by Humanoid

Geez Intsys isn't even trying to be subtle about which units they care about more here. Would it have hurt them to give one of the broken sets to the guys? Apparently. *sigh*

Anyway, I'll be going for Dimitri of course. I hope he doesn't take too many orbs, because then there'll be a tight window where I have to save for Summer Micaiah, potential new seasonals, Naga and L!Tiki and then Felix and Dorothea when they get here. Having so many faves hurrrrts.

37 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Says who?

Well, Escotanner said it. But saying that because Female Byleth has been announced for a banne that means she's canon when Male Byleth was announced first, and is the literal gift unit for buying Three Houses is kind of silly. I could just as well say that Male Byleth is canon for the that reason and it would be just as convincing.

But really, I just agree with Sentinel07. People jumping on any evidence they can for 'canon', even when said 'evidence' has nothing to do with the game's story and is dubious at best get's frustrating.

Apologies if I misinterpreted your 'Says who'. I wasn't entirely sure what you meant by it in this context.

On a side note, super surprised that Kronya is the GHB. I was expecting, well, anybody else really.

Edited by Onestep

Given that M!Byleth isn't on this banner, and the Kronya GHB happens during this banner and the next, I'm expecting the new heroes banner after this one will also be 3H themed. M!Byleth will probably be on that one, and I hope they go the route of showcasing some teachers or other students, and not go the obvious route of showcasing the lord's timeskip designs. Hope there's someone on that banner I really like. I have over 320 orbs saved that I can't use on my new phone so I gotta blow em up soon.

Edited by aaronarium

3 minutes ago, Dai said:

Dmitri: “No MaTtEr ThE rEaSoN, iTiS eViL tO kIlL.”

Also Dmitri: “kIlL tHeM aLl!”

He saw what the rats did to my Internet cable, and quickly changed his mind. 😛

Or maybe it's because his Vengeance hints at something. . .

1 minute ago, Onestep said:

Well, Escotanner said it. But saying that because Female Byleth has been announced for a banne that means she's canon when Male Byleth was announced first, and is the literal gift unit for buying Three Houses is kind of silly. I could just as well say that Male Byleth is canon for the that reason and it would be just as convincing.

But really, I just agree with Sentinel07. People jumping on any evidence they can for 'canon', even when said 'evidence' has nothing to do with the game's story and is dubious at best get's frustrating.

Apologies if I misinterpreted your 'Says who'. I wasn't entirely sure what you meant by it in this context.

No, you read it correctly~!

Still, one SFer is hardly enough to warrant the original statement.

Edited by eclipse

I'm in the "Don't know them, so I'm skeptical of wanting them" camp. 

But it doesn't matter. I've decided to stop playing this game altogether, though I won't uninstall it. It's not out of dislike that I choose to drop it. It's just that this game never clicked for me over the past months of trying it. There were optimistic moments where I thought it might, but they never amounted to anything. All I've done with this game has felt like busywork, summoning has been the only fun, but that is passing moments between longer bouts of dullness. Nor can I muster the full extent of my mind for strategizing the way I do with mainline FE, here, I just want the easy and brainless way out, which I don't really have the resources to do. And for someone who has a hard enough time finishing games that end, the concept of an unending game, which I've already shown a disinterest in I now realize with my history of Animal Crossing, means that FEH stumbles for me in yet another way.

Again. I'm not angry, I'm not disillusioned. It's a no-fault breakup due to lack of chemistry.

But of course I'm not leaving this board, I love FE and this site too much to do that. I'll continue to monitor it until the game at last dies, and continue to update my one little topic along the way.

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

He saw what the rats did to my Internet cable, and quickly changed his mind. 😛

Or maybe it's because his Vengeance hints at something. . .

No, you read it correctly~!

Still, one SFer is hardly enough to warrant the original statement.

I think it's more the general trend that annoys people. You see the same thing every time any gender of Avatar get's slightly more focus at any given time. Oooh, Male Robin got most of the Smash trailer, that means he's canon! Oooooh, Female Corrin was in Warriors, that means she's canon! Ooooooooh, Male Byleth is a reward in Heroes for buying Three Houses, that means he's canon!

And so on. Just gets frustrating.

Anyhow, units look of mixed value.