New Heroes Approach: Three Houses (July 22 ~)

Coolmanio

3 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

I understand why the interaction causes that to happen, but by the English wording of the skill at least, it shouldn't work because it explicitly specifies "foe's skills". Is there a translation issue again here?

Creator Sword: "During combat, disables foe's skills that guarantee foe's follow-up attack or prevent unit's follow-up attack"

Null Follow-up: "Disables foe's skills that guarantee foe's follow-up attack and foe's skills that prevent unit's follow-up attack."

Yeah, that's a localization issue, then. The descriptions are identical in Japanese:

戦闘中、敵の絶対追撃を無効、かつ、自分の追撃不可を無効

"During combat, disables "guaranteed follow-up" effect on foe and disables "cannot perform a follow-up" effect on self."

Edited by Ice Dragon

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The interaction between Creator's sword and Windsweep is interesting, but frankly not the most broken thing the game as seen imo. Its sort of akin to Bold Fighter Firesweep sets that we've seen on units like Effie, though I imagine that the Special acceleration on Byleth's weapon and her infantry status will make her more difficult to deal with.

Hypothetically speaking, would F!Byleth be able to defeat the bulkiest Blue units like Hector and Lukas with the following build (assuming she initiates and also has to take them on in enemy phase)?

Spoiler

Weapon: Creator's Sword

Assist: Reposition

Special: Luna

A-Skill: Flashing Blade 4

B-Skill: Windsweep 3

C-Skill: Odd Atk Wave 3

Seal Skill: Atk / Spd 2

IVS would be +spd -res

1 hour ago, FoxyGrandpa said:

The interaction between Creator's sword and Windsweep is interesting, but frankly not the most broken thing the game as seen imo. Its sort of akin to Bold Fighter Firesweep sets that we've seen on units like Effie, though I imagine that the Special acceleration on Byleth's weapon and her infantry status will make her more difficult to deal with.

Hypothetically speaking, would F!Byleth be able to defeat the bulkiest Blue units like Hector and Lukas with the following build (assuming she initiates and also has to take them on in enemy phase)?

Hide contents

Weapon: Creator's Sword

Assist: Reposition

A-Skill: Flashing Blade 4

B-Skill: Windsweep 3

C-Skill: Odd Atk Wave 3

Seal Skill: Atk / Spd 2

IVS would be +spd -res

I do not think Creator Sword can cancel out the unit's own follow-up prevention. Have you tested that out yet?
"Accelerates Special trigger (cooldown count-1). During combat, disables FOE'S skills that guarantee foe's follow-up attack or prevent unit's follow-up attack, and neutralizes skills that grant "Special cooldown charge +X" to foe or inflict "Special cooldown charge -X" on unit."

The mass duel calculator is your friend. Assuming the Creator Sword can cancel out the unit's own follow-up prevention, the calculator shows that F!Byleth can kill a few blue armors with low Def like LA!Lyn and LB!Niles, but she is not able to kill any blue armors with respectable Def.

Moonbow-Swift Sparrow is better for damage output. Swift Sparrow provides guaranteed Atk+6, whereas Flashing Blade provides conditional 5 damage. Swift Sparrow also allows Windsweep to activate a lot more consistently. If you cannot afford Swift Sparrow, then even Life and Death would be better. You generally want to avoid using Heavy Blade and Flashing Blade in the A slot since they are heavily outclassed by much better A skills. Lower cooldown Special with a stat boosting A skill is always better than a higher cooldown Special with Heavy Blade/Flashing Blade.

Challenger's List: Against Hard List. Both sides +10 with 6/6/6/6 buffs.

Spoiler

CHALLENGER LIST  
Byleth(F) (5*+10 +spd)  
Weapon: Creator Sword  
A: Flashing Blade 3  
B: Windsweep 3  
S: Atk Spd 2  

Byleth(F) (5*+10 +spd)  
Special: Moonbow  
A: Swift Sparrow 3  

Byleth(F) (5*+10 +atk)  

Byleth(F) (5*+10 +spd)  
A: Life and Death 3  

@FoxyGrandpa, I just read the last page, so disregard my previous post's first paragraph. I tried to edit my previous post, but it does not let me.

Picked up a couple Edelgard copies, and a Dimitri. Claude and Byleth don’t seem to like me. I’m probably done with this banner, though the other two are certainly tempting. Now I just need a gazillion feathers for the Galeforce and merge projects I have on my to-do list.

~

12 hours ago, XRay said:

Challenger's List: Against Hard List. Both sides +10 with 6/6/6/6 buffs.

CHALLENGER LIST  
Byleth(F) (5*+10 +spd)  
A: Flashing Blade 3  

Did you actually run the matchups with Flashing Blade 3?

Edit: ID10T error, set up the simulator wrong. Because that set, but with Flashing Blade 4, actually has the best performance out of all of the ones you listed, with that set of enemies & conditions. +Atk/Luna/Swift Sparrow 3/Flashing Blade 3 and +Atk/Luna/Flashing Blade 4/Darting Blow 3 also get better results than all four against the same set of enemies (both have about the same results).

On the subject of consistency, I’ll agree that Flashing Blade is usually worse, but I disagree on why. I don’t think the Spd condition is an issue at all; to take advantage of a one-round Special activation, the unit needs to be able to perform a follow up attack, which has a higher Spd requirement than Flashing Blade itself. So, I think Flashing Blade’s issues are that (1) it doesn’t help the unit perform a follow up, and (2) Special charge reducing skills exist.

Byleth, however, has Creator Sword to mitigate issue 1 (high Spd being another mitigating factor), and negate issue 2 entirely. I think that issue 2 is the real killer for most units with top-of-the-line Spd. Flashing Blade 4 is a perfectly viable pick for Byleth, imo.

Edited by LordFrigid

3 hours ago, LordFrigid said:

Did you actually run the matchups with Flashing Blade 3? Because that set, but with Flashing Blade 4, actually has the best performance out of all of the ones you listed, with that set of enemies & conditions. +Atk/Luna/Swift Sparrow 3/Flashing Blade 3 and +Atk/Luna/Flashing Blade 4/Darting Blow 3 also get better results than all four against the same set of enemies (both have about the same results).

On the subject of consistency, I’ll agree that Flashing Blade is usually worse, but I disagree on why. I don’t think the Spd condition is an issue at all; to take advantage of a one-round Special activation, the unit needs to be able to perform a follow up attack, which has a higher Spd requirement than Flashing Blade itself. So, I think Flashing Blade’s issues are that (1) it doesn’t help the unit perform a follow up, and (2) Special charge reducing skills exist.

Byleth, however, has Creator Sword to mitigate issue 1 (high Spd being another mitigating factor), and negate issue 2 entirely. I think that issue 2 is the real killer for most units with top-of-the-line Spd. Flashing Blade 4 is a perfectly viable pick for Byleth, imo.

Woopsies. Fixed it below. @FoxyGrandpa

Against all enemies, +Atk with Swift Sparrow performed the best (191:5:52), followed by +Spd with Swift Sparrow (188:4:56), then Life and Death (188:8:52), and finally Flashing Blade (182:6:60).

Against only blue armors, all the sets performed the same (2:3:20), with the only blue armors she could kill being LB!Niles and LA!Lyn.

Against all armors, Flashing Blade is the best (51:3:28), followed by +Atk-Swift Sparrow (49:3:30), and +Spd-Swift Sparrow and Life and Death tie for third (44:3:35).

Challenger List:

Spoiler

CHALLENGER LIST  
Byleth(F) (5*+10 +spd)  
A: Flashing Blade 4  

Byleth(F) (5*+10 +spd)  

Byleth(F) (5*+10 +atk)  

Byleth(F) (5*+10 +spd)  
A: Life and Death 3  

7 hours ago, XRay said:

Woopsies. Fixed it below. @FoxyGrandpa

Against all enemies, +Atk with Swift Sparrow performed the best (191:5:52), followed by +Spd with Swift Sparrow (188:4:56), then Life and Death (188:8:52), and finally Flashing Blade (182:6:60).

Against only blue armors, all the sets performed the same (2:3:20), with the only blue armors she could kill being LB!Niles and LA!Lyn.

Against all armors, Flashing Blade is the best (51:3:28), followed by +Atk-Swift Sparrow (49:3:30), and +Spd-Swift Sparrow and Life and Death tie for third (44:3:35).

*Reads matchup numbers*

*Realizes I forgot to set enemies to +10*

I feel shame. I would note that, after setting everything up properly, +Spd/Luna/Flashing Blade 4/Darting Blow 3 is 193:4:51, ties the 2:3:20 vs blue armor, and drops to 49:3:30 vs all armors (which still ties +Atk/Swift Sparrow 3). I get that you stuck with Atk/Spd 2 the whole way through because that was the scope of the question, but Darting Blow does work better with Flashing Blade.

10 hours ago, SockPuppet said:

I feel like everyone is pulling Claude! I’m jealous lol.

He made me work for him though, if it makes you feel any better. I spent between 150 and 200 orbs before I got him. xP

50 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

He made me work for him though, if it makes you feel any better. I spent between 150 and 200 orbs before I got him. xP

That's pretty average, right? I always try to make sure I have at least 200 orbs to spare if I'm going for a specific unit on a standard 4 units, 3% banner. (Which is also why I try to avoid doing that, personally.)

3 minutes ago, Othin said:

That's pretty average, right? I always try to make sure I have at least 200 orbs to spare if I'm going for a specific unit on a standard 4 units, 3% banner. (Which is also why I try to avoid doing that, personally.)

No, I'd say that's somewhat above average, at least for me. I've typically gotten my desired pull in 100 orbs on average.

Tried to pull for Claude and I am Claude-less after 240+ orbs. Was hoping to get some Felicias for the last 2 merges but nope, didn't get any copies either. At least the off focus was WoT!Olwen, someone that I don't mind getting.

Edited by Flying Shogi

11 hours ago, Flying Shogi said:

Got my second off focus character and... it's Brady. This is probably the game trying to telling me that I should stop pulling.

Hey! At least you haven't had. . . uh give me a second to count. One(Nina). Two(Olwen). Three(Sutr). Four(Hebindi). Five(Lugh). Five off focus characters! HA HA HA! *Cries*

But I did get Claude and Edelgard in the end(my targets). Though Edelgard got bane/boon screwed. Still It wouldn't surprise me if I have spent less than what you did orb wise. The darn gacha won't stop throwing these off focus characters at me. It feels like every other gosh darned session(though I know it isn't)!

Anyways, if you choose to continue in the face of utter despair, I wish you luck.

Well now I gotta figure out what to do with a -ATK/+SPD Edelgard. Seriously I can live with -ATK if it boosts something useful like, for her, defense, but no, lets give you points in what appears at a glance to be your least important stat. That sounds like a great idea.

On 7/30/2019 at 8:36 AM, Usana said:

Anyways, if you choose to continue in the face of utter despair, I wish you luck.

There's a reason why I usually avoid 4 unit banners with no color sharing so I'm not gonna pull any more since I'm out of orbs. It's all the VA's fault😆 I watched Claude's VA promote the game for 3H and it got me. It doesn't even make sense since I play this game in Japanese anyway. *sigh* There goes my stash for Maribelle and Keaton.

On 7/30/2019 at 8:36 AM, Usana said:

Seriously I can live with -ATK

Maybe it's just me but if I had to pick between -Atk and -Spd for a character that wants both, I think I'll take -Spd over -Atk. I feel like it's easier to boost Spd than Atk.

Edited by Flying Shogi

14 hours ago, Flying Shogi said:

Might it's just me but if I had to pick between -Atk and -Spd for a character that wants both, I think I'll take -Spd over -Atk. I feel like it's easier to boost Spd than Atk.

I suppose I should have specified that I was talking about characters with 'plenty' of attack. -ATK on Edelgard is still 36 base attack.  So not ideal, but 36 attack from a unit that can make guaranteed follow ups is quite usable. It is just that if I am making that trade, I would like the points to go somewhere useful. Even 3 more points of RES would probably be more useful than 3 more of speed. Though I am much more accepting of -ATK these days since banes are only 1 merge away from being axed. So I am more focused on what I am getting than what I am losing.

Unless it is speed. If a unit needs speed it needs A LOT OF SPEED. Speed creep is real, yo. Part of what makes Legendary Eirika so much less fun for me is that her base 39 speed just isn't enough to guarantee a followup even with her atk/spd solo AND sometimes even with a hone cav under her belt. That is 45-51 speed and she failed to double quite frequently when I was using her and Legendary Ephraim in Aether Raids last week. That was the real reason Ephraim always opened. Nino in range? Ephraim. Soren in Range. Ephraim. Eirika would always leave them with like 5-6HP due to failing to double. Ephraim would usually murder them thanks to the fact that he doubled. And the number of times I was able to reach or fail to reach doubling speed by just a single point in abyssal content are, while not super frequent, often enough that I have sat up and taken notice. So yeah if a character wants speed I am deathly afraid of a speed bane.

And while say, Claude, doesn't want speed quite as much as a bit more attack. I am perfectly fine with more speed. I have actually had mine(+SPD) fail to double when defending in Aether Raids defense. The biggest example being a Fallen Corrin had enough speed to deny him the double. This was important since if he doubled the AI would have won the match handily, whereas failing to double meant I suffered a Vantage sweep. I am not sure if I could have gotten him to double even if I was in control and used optimal play(the AI refused to attack with Summer Linde first so I am not sure if she had enough debuffs on her to activate Cunning). But that is in part due to having DeathBlow 3 on him since I figured I could opt out of some speed for atk since he was +SPD. Nope. Gotta go get him some swift sparrow. Maybe Life and Death? Too bad I don't have spare Laegjarns sitting around for max level bonuses. Claude has a need for speed!