New Heroes Approach: Three Houses (July 22 ~)

Coolmanio

Spoiler

Not too sure about Kronya. They put too much stats into her defensive ones instead of attack. The dagger's effect might be a bit difficult to pull off.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, redlight said:
  Hide contents

Not too sure about Kronya. They put too much stats into her defensive ones instead of attack. The dagger's effect might be a bit difficult to pull off.

Spoiler

Her highest defensive stat is resistance at 26 which after her dagger's Res+3 isn't that high. Her 44 HP is high, but 22/26 defenses isn't. 31/39 offenses is all right and if you chose to merge her, they'd be effectively 32/40 offenses when they are bumped up to 36/44 offenses at +10 merges.

What were you looking for? 30 HP, 53 Atk, 53 Spd, 13 Def, and 13 Res? Lowest possible or known HP, defense, and resistance and the rest, attack and speed, for a gen 3 ranged infantry.

Edited by Kaden

1 minute ago, redlight said:
  Hide contents

Savage Blow into Close Counter would be the goal I'd have thought. Get +5 offensive stats into debuffed enemies for +12 damage net while almost certainly doubling. And that's with the Seal or C slot still free.

26 minutes ago, Kaden said:

I have this weird feeling that Dimitri was intentionally designed to be the least liked character of Three Houses. Would not be surprised if he died in every ending including his "own" Blue Lions route

Spoiler

That's patently ridiculous. Claude has it worse than him imo, with his low atk and having to compete with freaking Lyn. But yes, the developers designed a superfluous character that's getting them zero cash and only cost them time, resources and effort. Of course. This is even besides the fact that many people have expressed their interest and appreciation for the character, with blue lions being the most popular house to choose in many places on the internet (including here)

Anyway, I am more than pleased with his stats. Don't know what people were expecting out of him. Something unreal it seems, cav stats are a thing, people. Never got Ephraim and don't have a decent Lance Horse, so I'll be going all out for him. 

Edited by Nanima

5 minutes ago, Kaden said:
  Hide contents

Her highest defensive stat is resistance at 26 which after her dagger's Res+3 isn't that high. Her 44 HP is high, but 22/26 defenses isn't. 31/39 offenses is all right and if you chose to merge her, they'd be effectively 32/40 offenses when they are bumped up to 36/44 offenses at +10 merges.

What were you looking for? 30 HP, 53 Atk, 53 Spd, 13 Def, and 13 Res? Lowest possible or known HP, defense, and resistance and the rest, attack and speed, for a gen 3 ranged infantry.

Spoiler

Something like base 34 attack or something

Spoiler

Surprising no one, the Byleths are pretty much the same.

~M!Byleth is slightly stronger, while F!Byleth is slightly faster. And of course they're both fast and strong swordies, so not much needs to be done to counter either one of them, as we've seen this unit many times already...

~Edelgard has the stuff to be a bulky Axe unit without losing much in Spd. Pretty good, but might still face competition in that regard from existing Armor Axes.

~Caude... well he's getting Life and Death 3. Couldn't be a simpler bow unit.

~Dimitri looks straightforward as well. Not quite as strong as I'd personally like, but then he's not really a priority so I don't mind too much.

~This is the first real look I've ever gotten at this Kronya character, and I have to say... I don't get the issue with her. She could be FAR worse.
As for her stats and kit, she looks interesting. She can be a good answer to singling out a target. Weaken them phase 1, maybe come with Poison Strike instead of Desperation to ensure a little extra damage, then finish them off when they try to come in for the attack. Only issue I'm concerned with is how she fares against a lot of targets...

Not saying Kronya will be good or bad. I mean, she's still a GHB unit. She's just a GHB unit with something interesting going on...

22 minutes ago, Nanima said:
  Hide contents

That's patently ridiculous. Claude has it worse than him imo, with his low atk and having to compete with freaking Lyn. But yes, the developers designed a superfluous character that's getting them zero cash and only cost them time, resources and effort. Of course. This is even besides the fact that many people have expressed their interest and appreciation for the character, with blue lions being the most popular house to choose in many places on the internet (including here)

Spoiler

I just want a tragic ending, man!

Seriously though, something about Dimitri feels off to me. He's well-liked by people, sure, but his character and the decisions on him make me feel like he's supposed to be the unfortunate one. In Heroes, he doesn't really stand out and to some, he's a worse version of legendary Ephraim in the regular summoning pool. In Three Houses, the strengths and weaknesses he's given compared to Claude and Edelgard make him more inflexible when it comes to classes and weapons. If anything, I think it was Claude who won out. Then there's him being Punished "Venom" Dimitri after the timeskip starring in his own Blue Lions V: The Phantom Pain -- what a coincidence that the time skip is five years and TTP is the fifth numbered MGS title. That's why I feel like he might end up dying in every route of Three Houses whether as a hero, tyrant, or a footnote in history in the eyes of the characters. Something is very tragic about him.

And my previous post I had no intention of insulting him or anyone who liked him. Of the three, he's the most interesting to me and yes, most of it comes from seeing his timeskip appearance and wondering what caused him to go from a seemingly gentle-looking noble to a tormented, scarred warrior.

Edited by Kaden

19 minutes ago, Nanima said:
  Hide contents

Claude looks generally better than Lyn to me? Matches or shades every stat except Res, and the skills match up well.

+4 HP
+0 Atk
+2 Spd
+2 Def
-7 Res

+1 BST in total. Both weapons have +3 Spd which cancel out. Lyn nullifies all buffs on mages, Claude nullfies Spd and Def buffs on anyone, call that a wash. Both come with a Smoke. Lyn admittedly comes with Swift Sparrow while Claude's A-slot is blank but that's a matter of inheritance rather than any inherent superiority.

The point of difference then is that Claude further debuffs enemy Spd and Def in all situations, and all stats conditionally (an easy condition met by a single Hone Cavalry). Lyn nullifies Distant Counter on non-dragons. Both very good, Lyn has more of a niche whereas Claude seems more of a generalist. Lyn's set is a bit confused because her weapon is anti-mage while her Prf skill is anti-physical tank. I'd pick Claude for pretty much any team I'm building.

Dimitri on the other hand... I'd just take an Abel instead.

Edited by Humanoid

Spoiler

Male and Female Byleth seem pretty straightforward, with pretty much the same statspread as Ayra, Legendary Marth, Legendary Roy, etc. As generic as they are, their statspread is tried and true and works well with their preference weapon. 

Edlegard looks like an infantry Brave Ephraim, with a bit better speed to avoid doubles easier. Interesting unit.

I'm disappointed Dimitri isn't more min-maxed, but he honestly looks fine with his really high attack and defense. A bit generic when compared to other cavalry, but not awful.

Don't know why people are complaining about Claude lmao. His statspread is a bit better than Brave Lyn's and he comes with a noticeably better prf on top of it. Definitely a solid unit.

I'm really digging Kronya. I wish she had a bit more attack, but thankfully her prf gives her +5 attack under the right conditions. She's got shockingly decent bulk and the conditional Vantage effect on her weapon lets her run a variety of strong B-Skills like Null Follow-up, Special Spiral, etc. Looking forward to building her.

11 minutes ago, Humanoid said:
Spoiler

Savage Blow into Close Counter would be the goal I'd have thought. Get +5 offensive stats into debuffed enemies for +12 damage net while almost certainly doubling. And that's with the Seal or C slot still free.

Spoiler

That Atk is still far too low for reliable Counter-Vantage usage. Counter-Vantage units should hit at least 85 Atk easily at merge +0. My Laevatein can reach 90+ Atk and she still has issues taking out bulky units in one hit sometimes.

Blade tomes give 30 Atk. Ares' Bonfire spam provides 25+ Damage. I just do not see Kronya's Weapon being viable for Counter-Vantage with its lack of damage.

9 minutes ago, Humanoid said:
Spoiler

Claude looks generally better than Lyn to me? Matches or shades every stat except Res, and the skills match up well.

+4 HP
+0 Atk
+2 Spd
 +2 Def
-7 Res

+1 BST in total. Both weapons have +3 Spd which cancel out. Lyn nullifies all buffs on mages, Claude nullfies Spd and Def buffs on anyone, call that a wash. Both come with a Smoke. Lyn admittedly comes with Swift Sparrow while Claude's A-slot is blank but that's a matter of inheritance rather than any inherent superiority.

The point of difference then is that Claude further debuffs enemy Spd and Def in all situations, and all stats conditionally (an easy condition met by a single Hone Cavalry). Lyn nullifies Distant Counter on non-dragons. Both very good, Lyn has more of a niche whereas Claude seems more of a generalist. Lyn's set is a bit confused because her weapon is anti-mage while her Prf skill is anti-physical tank. I'd pick Claude for pretty much any team I'm building.

Spoiler

Claude is better. For Player Phase archers, the only things that matter are Atk/Spd.

The best bows are Brave Bow and Firesweep Bow, so unless the exclusive bow is something ridiculous like SK!Alm's Luna Arc, it is generally better to just dump the exclusive bow.

The problem with Cunning Bow is that it has conditional requirements for it to have good performance. Luna Arc's effects is always active. Thögn's all stat+4 is conditional on the enemy being melee, but GA!Lucina can somewhat afford to lose those stats against ranged enemies since they are generally not as bulky. Cunning Bow's effectiveness depends on running allies who can debuff the enemy, so that could get a bit tricky to pull off sometimes.

15 minutes ago, XRay said:
  Hide contents

That Atk is still far too low for reliable Counter-Vantage usage. Counter-Vantage units should hit at least 85 Atk easily at merge +0. My Laevatein can reach 90+ Atk and she still has issues taking out bulky units in one hit sometimes.

Blade tomes give 30 Atk. Ares' Bonfire spam provides 25+ Damage. I just do not see Kronya's Weapon being viable for Counter-Vantage with its lack of damage. 

So, what you're telling me in this spoiler is that we should totally get an inheritable Close Counter upgrade that grants Atk+8 when attacked in the future, right? 😛

At this point, maybe making it so all dagger units inflict Atk/Def-4 on their foes as their inherent ability would be fine on top of their field debuffs after attacking. Or maybe even expand it to on foes within 2 spaces of them as an Atk/Def version of Tharja's Hex's Anathema unique refinement.

Edited by Kaden

Ok. so...

Spoiler

- M/F Byleth are both ridiculous. Stats rivaling of not surpassing the likes of Karla while matching Mareeta, top of the line more or less with the added bonus of shutting down every relevant B skill in the entire game. Oh yeah and an added killer effect cause why not, right? We've seen OP sword infantry, in that regard they're no different. But they'll fall to good old fashion WTA. Sturdy blues can still wipe them, they'll just have to OHKO them or take an extra turn. And of course blue mages will delete them. If you want to take them down you'll just have to do it the old fashioned way. No guaranteed followup nonsense and don't try to take them with WTD. You need good old fashioned stats and skills. I kinda like that.

- Edelgard hits like a truck. Not much else needs to be said. She'll struggle with the competition of green armors but as far as axe infantry goes I think she's near top of the line.

- Dimitri is underwhelming. Not much to say about him, he's fine but lance cavs are a bloated class and there are probably better options unless you just like him.

- Claude I like the most of the lords, but gameplay wise he just seems like better Lyn without the DC shutdown bow.

- Kronya actually really impresses me with her stats. Her ATK is a little low but she's solid and her weapon is pretty cool albeit situational. Savage Blow/CC will be her best friend. Just wish she was a colored dagger. I feel like that's a missed opportunity.

19 minutes ago, XRay said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Well let's consider using a CC+Savage blow set and all the factors here.

• -7 Damage from SB
  • -7 DEF debuff
  • +5 ATK from her PRF

That's by all accounts 19 additional damage to the enemy before we factor in her potential visible or in combat buffs. Then we can do stuff like give her Special Spiral, Moonbow/Glimmer and Fierce Stance 3 in her seal slot. She's killing pretty much any non-raven mage as well as the speedy but squishy infantry with Vantage skill procs. There are definitely far more powerful options for sets like this, but I think she's at the very least viable.

Edited by Zeo

@XRay

Spoiler

Keep in mind that it is reliant on both the total bonuses on Claude and the total penalties on the foe. A single Hone Cav should put him over 10 total bonuses, and a single Chill/Sabotage should further enable his ability to trigger the bow's effect safely.

Also I think Kronya will be better off focusing down a single unit, rather than multiple at a time. Yeah it's unrealistic, but good positioning can make a situation where the enemy is forced to send down just one unit to try and attack Kronya, so as long as she has weakened them... methinks the following set will work best:

Merge: +1
W: Athame
S: Moonbow/Glimmer
A: Close Counter/Death Blow
B: Poison Strike
S: Poison Strike

The merge is to give her the extra attack and spd for just a few extra foes.
Simple build: Attack at least once, and the foe is weakened both by [Dagger 7] and double Poison Strikes. Assuming she has 46 Atk total with the merge, she should deal a sizable amount of damage at once to most foes. Death Blow sacrifices the ability to counter melee units for a little extra damage when a ranged unit tries to attack her. When the poor sap comes in, she is stronger and hits first, and the foe is very weak. Bonus, if she doubled the foe then she also has a Moonbow/Glimmer charged up, though maybe for safety or for those especially fast foes she should be assisted by Legendary Hector.

Alternative, she can drop her B Poison Strike for Wind/Water Sweep, to ensure that her target can't counterattack. She might be better supported by a Flash+ staff though, so she isn't losing so much chip damage for an effect that can be inflicted on the foe instead.

Edited by Xenomata

Spoiler

I can see her being incredibly useful on AR offense maps where your opponent's team only consists of ranged units. If only Null C Disrupt was budget

It's been a while since I've done this, but I'm going to do a unit review.

Edelgard - The Future: Outstanding Atk and Def value, especially when her Solo skills kick in - possibly stand ground against sword units as well. Can't say the same about mages though, due to her low Spd and Res. For that reason alone, I do not recommend using her in Aether Raids, just try utilizing her in other kind of challenges.

Dimitri - The Protector: As I expected, Dimitri is a slug as well. Stat distribution he's very similar to Edelgard, but thanks to his weapon he's got more potential. Death Blow 4 and Lull Atk/Def could help for him to finish off some enemies in one round, but for the love of god change his Special to something more valuable than Vengeance, that skill is more of a setback than an advantage.

Claude - The Schemer: I can already see his potential in debuff cavalry team, with companies like Hríd, Gunntrhá, Veronica, Spring Catria or Summer Lilina. Claude has a weapon that gives him an edge when the bonuses and penalties are 10 or above for him, so with Lull Spd/Def on his hand he doesn't need much more for that to kick in. Comes with a nice Spd stat, but it comes for the price of a low def/res on his end, so try to keep him away from danger. A solid choice nonetheless.

Byleth (F) - Proven Professor: The winner of this banner. Solid stats, solid skills, and a sword that might have an impact of the current builds. Fury 4 and Even Atk Wave will make her Atk stat skyrocket, and with the effect of her special and weapon, she'll be quite a dangerous foe to face. Only low stat is her resistance, so it's not impossible to stop her.

Red > Colorless > Blue > Green - ignoring my opinion on the lord of 3H, otherwise Dimitri would be on the bottom.

Bonus round: 

Byleth (M) - Tested Professor: Doesn't come with Fury 4, but very similar to female Byleth. Female is more Atk oriented, while male is more speed oriented, which might be an odd choice, as you'd imagine then male version to be slower but stronger. Still, he comes with the rare Distant Counter skill, so he has much potential with his skillset.

Kronya - Gleaming Blade: First of all, a big yes for Distant Guard 3 being in the grail pool at 4*. Second, she's got nice offensive stats once the foe is not at full Hp, and the built-in Vantage is not too shabby either. I can imagine a few scary builds with her, so she could be a good investment, but watch out for her defense - even with 29 Res she's not quite a mage killer just yet. (Savage Blow seal for her?)

Edited by Garlyle

1 minute ago, Nimrod said:

I wonder which unit will be demoted

Most likely no one. This banner is filled to the brim with characters that will eventually become massively popular, overshadowing the ones in the Fates beast banner who didn't get any demotes at all. If we do get a demote it'll be Claude, but I doubt it because he has a rare unit type, has good stats and a brand new skill. It's bullshit that we're possibly getting another new heroes banner without any demotes this year. There have been good demotes, but some of them aren't good fodder. People use them as units instead like Reyson, Mordecai and Sylvia. And then there's Thea. Oh boy.

8 hours ago, MilodicMellodi said:

going to echo what I say about the Byleths’ voices in Reddit:

their EN voices are quite good, but I preferred how they have more emotions on JP(especially F!Byleth, her JP voice is what I’d exactly imagine for her). It makes them more distinctive and stood out more as characters to me.

I always imagined that despite being the same character, each gender would have their own perks(M!Byleth being calmer and more serious while F!Byleth being more expressive and approachable) and the differences shown in cutscenes seem to support them being different in a way. Since they’re not a silent protagonists anymore in Heroes, it’d be nice to see some more characterization on them.

Their EN voices, while not bad in quality, makes them a bit too similar to each other for my liking. It makes sense in a way, but I feel the tone differences between both genders in JP just wins it for me.

double post my bad

After some more digging(read:spoiling myself), I think the direction behind their EN voices is pretty neat, but still I prefer JP because they sound more distinct there.

8 hours ago, Humanoid said:

Lyn's set is a bit confused because her weapon is anti-mage while her Prf skill is anti-physical tank.

I'm not sure what's wrong with covering more than one base if you have the ability to do so.

7 hours ago, XRay said:

Kronya can get 31 (base Atk) + 14 (weapon Mt) + 5 (weapon effect) + 7 (Savage Blow 3) + 7 (Dagger debuff) + 7 (Savage Blow 3 Sacred Seal) = 71 effective Atk, and running Ruptured Sky + Special Spiral gives her about 11-14 damage at 20% and about 22-28 damage at 40%.

That's passable for Aether Raids against offensively focused teams that don't have good mitigation for the debuffs and passive damage, and pairs well with Duma's Upheaval in pretty much every other game mode.

52 minutes ago, redlight said:

Most likely no one. This banner is filled to the brim with characters that will eventually become massively popular, overshadowing the ones in the Fates beast banner who didn't get any demotes at all. If we do get a demote it'll be Claude, but I doubt it because he has a rare unit type, has good stats and a brand new skill. It's bullshit that we're possibly getting another new heroes banner without any demotes this year. There have been good demotes, but some of them aren't good fodder. People use them as units instead like Reyson, Mordecai and Sylvia. And then there's Thea. Oh boy.

which demotes do you consider good? worthy +10ing