PS5 likely becomes very expensive

Guest PS5

From a report of Wall Street Jourmal the PS5 shall address serious gamers. For this target group it is planned to set the price for the date of release extremely high. 800 $ was an imaginable area. 

It is not confirmed, but it is a serious plan by Sony. 

What do you think about this plan and what would be your maximum of money you would be willed to invest for a new console? 

''People will get a second job to buy a Playstation 3''

Are they really going that route again? Really? There really is a cycle in place whenever a new generation begins. 

So far the winner of the console generation has always become increasingly arrogant and starts bringing themselves down with terrible decisions as soon as the next generation begins. It seems Sony is more than willing to repeat the cycle....again. 

We've seen this when Sony happily sabotaged the PS3 after having dominated the PS2 era, we saw Microsoft being equally happy to torpedo the Xbox One right out of the gate after having dominated Sony with the Xbox 360 for much of the generation and Nintendo did it both after their successful SNES and Wii consoles. I'm wondering why the companies themselves don't see the pattern and try to avoid it. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

$800?🤑

Listen Sony, I don't know very much about processing power and graphical capabilities and all the inner workings of consoles. But is this supposed to be due to good/customized PCs being able to outstrip console power at a lower price? Or is it because of a declining dedicated console market? I don't know sales either. But this isn't a good move.

Nonetheless, Sony has a monopoly on the most technically ambitious of Japanese games, so I am lead to believe. Xbox 360 had a short period with Eternal Sonata, Lost Odyssey, and Tales of Vesperia when it tried to woo Japanese audiences, but that died long ago. PCs as a gaming platform had, not sure if it is regrowing, fallen out of favor in Japan too. And since Nintendo isn't offering high-end graphics or processing power nowadays, that leaves Sony the lone purveyor of certain kinds of Japanese titles.

Microsoft might be able to wrest the Western game market from Sony if Play$tation 5 is the direction they're taking it, however. Even if Microsoft has the same expensive idea in mind, if they price it significantly lower without significant differences in power, they could stand to enormously gain.

Speaking of price tag, this video game history lesson is semi-relevant, since one of the three big losses for Sega I can identify here-  the other two being Sega's hasty rush, and Sony's massive cash reserves- is the price tag.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer
I shoulda read the darned article first! Lesson learned.

23 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Speaking of price tag, this video game history lesson is semi-relevant, since one of the three big losses for Sega I can identify here-  the other two being Sega's hasty rush, and Sony's massive cash reserves- is the price tag.

That was the exact incident I was thinking of. Ironic Sony is setting themselves up for the same take-down they delivered to Sega back in the 90s.

Anyway, no skin off my nose (well, there is but that's from a cut). Besides most of the franchises I really like are Nintendo exclusive. So until Microsoft actually start using Rare's IPs well I don't think I'll be shelling out until prices drop on Sony or Microsoft's offerings.

Console gaming is going to get (whispering) very expensive

Sooooooo, I can't find a corroborating source for that price point besides Michael Pachter's offhand comment after first hearing about the system's specs. He was being facetious, by the way, as much of the internet failed to grasp after he was asked to "speculate something wild" in light of Sony's absence at this year's E3. I think we can relax our expectations of an overpriced grill that "someday will run MGS4"

A possible 800 price tag is staggering. Outside of Hardcore Sony fans who will buy it? That's not including the Playstation plus subscription, games, or micro transactions. Even then if the system is a powerhouse will developers utilize  it to achieve a stable 60 frame at higher resolutions? 

I did not know that guests can create threads. 

I made discovery by accident. 

14 minutes ago, Camus The Dark Knight said:

Gaming PCs are usually more than 800$.

A good one, yes. 

I bought one for 500 € which can run still above average quality games regarding graphics like Tales of Berseria. 

3 hours ago, stk5 said:

$800 is not mentioned anywhere in this article.

You have to be registered to read the full article . Unfortunately it is common for reading newspapers online. 

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

I think we can relax our expectations of an overpriced grill that "someday will run MGS4"

Hey, don't call it that! It's an underpriced mini-refrigerator! Sure it requires some special hookup, especially if you opt for the PS5 Elite model with the ice dispenser, but it keeps the system from ever overheating. Unfortunately, PS Plus does not come with a free weekly six-pack of Mountain Dew to stock the fridge with, only XBox Live Emerald offers that. 

2 minutes ago, Rosalina said:

You have to be registered to read the full article . Unfortunately it is common for reading newspapers online. 

I read the full Wall Street Journal article — all >850 words of it. Unless there is hidden text after the paragraph ending in "developers to ignore" and the author's contact info, the article does not cover pricing of the PS5. Like Glennstavos said above, the $800 figure is totally fabricated.

800$. Okaaaaaaaaay. I don't believe it for a second... but let's talk about it. I had a hard time buying a PS4, 3DS or a poor ass laptop, how could I ever pay a console that cost this much ? I'm poor as hell though, yes, but still.

4 hours ago, Camus The Dark Knight said:

Gaming PCs are usually more than 800$.

It's a computer though, more than that, a pre-customized machine that can still still be used for a lot of things. Not a console with fixed parts that is limited in what it can do.

Edited by B.Leu