Joy-Con Drift Issue? Free Joy-Con Repairs?

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/07/us_law_firm_opens_switch_joy-con_drift_class_action_investigation

Yep, this has become such a big, or "big", deal that lawyers are taking notice. Whether there are any solid grounds for such a lawsuit, and whether Nintendo would lose the potential case, are both presently unknown and should remain that way for months or maybe years.

...Any does anybody know if the Pro Controller has the drift issue? My Joy-Cons don't presently have it, but I'm considering getting a second controller of some kind.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

39 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/07/us_law_firm_opens_switch_joy-con_drift_class_action_investigation

Yep, this has become such a big, or "big", deal that lawyers are taking notice. Whether there are any solid grounds for such a lawsuit, and whether Nintendo would lose the potential case, are both presently unknown and should remain that way for months or maybe years.

...Any does anybody know if the Pro Controller has the drift issue? My Joy-Cons don't presently have it, but I'm considering getting a second controller of some kind.

God I hope not. I've got two pro controllers, and neither of them have displayed so far but that's not saying much. They sure as hell have taken up the slack after the left joy-con went drifty a while back.

43 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

My Joy Cons have the problem, but my Pro Controller works fine. I think the pro Controller has a different issue. The D-Pad is kind of very sensitive. Like if I am playing Tetris fast (Up is fast drop) sometimes it takes priority on Up if I press left or right shortly after. Which makes a fast fall instead of going the Tetromino left or right..

But otherwise I have no drift issues with it. And its only bad on some games, which really need fast playing.

Edited by Stroud

I saw this yesterday and submitted a form. My left Joy-Con has had the drift problem for MONTHS now. It shouldn't be having technical issues this early in the Switch's lifetime when past console controllers lasted much longer for me AND were much less expensive. Fucking $70 for a little controller that stops working right only a year after I get it? Bullshit. I hope this lawsuit becomes real, honestly. Because I do feel like I got ripped off!

OH SHIT, THIS IS GREAT!

My left joy con has drift and I tried to fix it, but now the little analog cap is lumpy and ugly. I hate it.

The pro controller being goddamn same price as a pair of normal joycons pisses me off, so I never got one. :(

What happens if Nintendo loses the lawsuit? Do we all get new better joy cons?! PLEASE!

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I saw this yesterday and submitted a form. My left Joy-Con has had the drift problem for MONTHS now. It shouldn't be having technical issues this early in the Switch's lifetime when past console controllers lasted much longer for me AND were much less expensive. Fucking $70 for a little controller that stops working right only a year after I get it? Bullshit. I hope this lawsuit becomes real, honestly. Because I do feel like I got ripped off!

My right joy-con has had it for MONTHS too. It is SO annoying. I agree with you. This is also why I barely even use it.

1 minute ago, Michelaar said:

My right joy-con has had it for MONTHS too. It is SO annoying. I agree with you. This is also why I barely even use it.

I still play my Switch because it only seems to happen on the home screen when I'm like, browsing news or the eShop or something. But it's still annoying when I'm trying to do those things!

Just now, Anacybele said:

I still play my Switch because it only seems to happen on the home screen when I'm like, browsing news or the eShop or something. But it's still annoying when I'm trying to do those things!

Oh yeah I meant that I use a Pro Controller instead of the Joy-cons. If I were you I would invest in a pro controller when this issue is active, since it can be really annoying when you try to do something and it just randomly scrolls somewhere. You can use a Pro controller in handheld too if you remove the joy-cons!

Just now, Michelaar said:

Oh yeah I meant that I use a Pro Controller instead of the Joy-cons. If I were you I would invest in a pro controller when this issue is active, since it can be really annoying when you try to do something and it just randomly scrolls somewhere. You can use a Pro controller in handheld too if you remove the joy-cons!

Oh, I actually do have one of those, I have a Zelda BotW themed one that I wanted and got for Christmas last year. Forgot about it. XD

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Oh, I actually do have one of those, I have a Zelda BotW themed one that I wanted and got for Christmas last year. Forgot about it. XD

Oooh, I would love to get one of those too, BOTW was great! I just have a normal black one, it's wireless. A lot of the themed ones were wired which I don't like a lot.

Sue 'em for all they're worth, I say. 80 dollars for a two year operational life is more than just greedy. This is the sort of malfunction that factory recalls are for. My gamecube controller's rubber on the control stick has been sheered off from nothing but overuse and its control stick is still in peak condition. It's embarrassing I have to use this as a replacement controller in docked mode. Or that no other controllers are supported for handheld play unless you have a completely level desk in front of you. Handheld play is why this is my system of choice, because the people I play with can't get out as much as this system can. My drift issues began to a constant degree around the time Let's Go Pikachu came out, but it only took until the start of this year where they deteriorated so much that any sort of game couldn't be played without registering constant, randomized inputs which override the D-Pad's inputs.

Edited by Glennstavos

I'll be the first to admit to not knowing exactly what this drift issue is (I count myself among the few who don't own a Switch yet), but I nevertheless think that this is right.
As others here have aptly put it: asking 70$+ for a faulty product is nothing short of greedy.

I was planning on getting a Switch when Three Houses releases next week. This news kind of put a damper on that one again.

Fear of the Joy-Cons' drift issue is what kept me from playing Smash (at least until I got a controller from Nyko). I was fearful of abusing the Joy-Con that much.

Here's the suit being examined by an actual law firm if anybody is interested, as it is pretty lengthy. He is a corporate lawyer, so he admits he has a bias on the side of Nintendo because he has been sent many of these "shakedown letters" from "people looking for a quick pay day". The gist of their take is:

• The lead plaintiff's case is not terribly sympathetic or paints Nintendo in a villainous light which is odd for a class action lawsuit
    • Anonymous complaints from online message boards aren't very compelling either
  • Biggest challenge for a suit like this is proving that joy con drift is a prevalent enough issue to prove that Nintendo has been negligent in constructing a controller that will last at least a few years of regular use rather than just ending after the 12 month warranty. And what would help are more cases of the drift occuring within that warranty period and seeing the result of those warranty repairs. If Nintendo's repair jobs consistently only kept the controllers running another three months with no warranty extension then there can be a case for negligence there.
  • The language of the claimant implies Nintendo knew something was wrong and intentionally hid that from the consumer which seems especially alarmist and impossible to prove unless and a company letter confirming this somehow surfaces.

Can they really file a lawsuit over this?

My left joycon has developed the drift issue a few months a go, shortly after I was telling a friend that "hahah, my joycon is perfectly fine, what you on about?" so that's embarrassing, hahah.

I'm gonna go pick up a new set on Friday when Three Houses comes out, but now I'm debating whether or not to get the pro controller. Anyone want to convince me?

17 minutes ago, Lau said:

Can they really file a lawsuit over this?

My left joycon has developed the drift issue a few months a go, shortly after I was telling a friend that "hahah, my joycon is perfectly fine, what you on about?" so that's embarrassing, hahah.

I'm gonna go pick up a new set on Friday when Three Houses comes out, but now I'm debating whether or not to get the pro controller. Anyone want to convince me?

The pro controllers feel quite nice in your hands, are not too heavy, work perfectly fine and don't develop a drift issue, but when buying Joy-cons you have the chance that they will develop a drift issue again. It's better to have something for the long run.

52 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

The pro controllers feel quite nice in your hands, are not too heavy, work perfectly fine and don't develop a drift issue, but when buying Joy-cons you have the chance that they will develop a drift issue again. It's better to have something for the long run.

That's very true. What about charging? Does it come with a dock, or do you have to buy it separately?

6 minutes ago, Lau said:

That's very true. What about charging? Does it come with a dock, or do you have to buy it separately?

It comes with a cable, which you can put it your dock, and all you have to do is plug it in to charge it, as long as your dock is also plugged in. It's easy!

2 hours ago, Michelaar said:

It comes with a cable, which you can put it your dock, and all you have to do is plug it in to charge it, as long as your dock is also plugged in. It's easy!

You've convinced me! I was worried that I had to buy a charging dock separately, but not anymore. Thank you!

10 minutes ago, Lau said:

You've convinced me! I was worried that I had to buy a charging dock separately, but not anymore. Thank you!

NP! I hope you enjoy it!

Well this is interesting, Nintendo is now supposedly considering offering free Joy-Con repairs, and refunds for those who have already had them done.

Latin America, or at least Costa Rica, is indeed offering free Joy-Con repairs it seems. Europe might be a mixed bag, Brexitland is not free-repairs, nor is Baguetteland, but Damned to be Dryland is free-repairs.