Love and Marriage: All supports available

54 minutes ago, Hauke said:

Just because Byleth is the only one with S supports don't mean everyone is Byleth sexual. It actually allows them to write better supports, because not every support is forced to end in a relationship and marriage.

I doubt this was a bash but I'll say marriage supports can be written well (from my experience and alot I seen from prior entries) but if its only the MC Avatar to prevent another anyone x anyone and write it more consistently and realistic I'm content plus again to me Persona MC vibes! 

Edited by Dorothea Joestar Arnold

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like the people that made the charts for IGN rushed through it and made these mistakes (not including Dimitri and Claude in the small chart for marriage, not pink highlighting Rhea and Sothis for female Byleth in the big chart, etc.).  Otherwise they're directly contradicting their own article.

I don't mind not having S supports for any characters other than Byleth.  It's a little strange IMO to have some supports stop at B rank only, but I'll hold off judgement on that until the game releases.  Maybe having fewer and simpler supports will help with their overall quality and writing.

Man, I'm really disappointed with the fact only Byleth can S support. That is just so off putting. Why even include S supports in this case? I always enjoyed pairing other people up more than the avatar character. I would even be okay with limited S supports, as I like canon couples. Oh well. I was going to marry Dimitri, but I think I'll just keep everyone only at A supports. It feels weird to let Byleth marry but no one else. Unless if it's true that Sothis and Rhea supports are platonic?

4 minutes ago, puffins said:

Man, I'm really disappointed with the fact only Byleth can S support. That is just so off putting. Why even include S supports in this case? I always enjoyed pairing other people up more than the avatar character. I would even be okay with limited S supports, as I like canon couples. Oh well. I was going to marry Dimitri, but I think I'll just keep everyone only at A supports. It feels weird to let Byleth marry but no one else. Unless if it's true that Sothis and Rhea supports are platonic? 

Who sais Canon couples aren't in? They don't need S supports to make couples canon.

Just now, Hauke said:

Who sais Canon couples aren't in? They don't need S supports to make couples canon.

True, but it's been confirmed that there can be multiple A ranks. And if there's canon couples, how would Byleth's marriage affect that? Like if Byleth married someone who was supposed to be in a couple with someone else. It would mean a few different endings, and I really don't think IS went that far.

Doubt there'll be "canon couples" the whole point of S Ranking especially for your Avatar is creating your OWN life and destiny in the world you decide. I can see non playable characters that have an established relationship be the only exception.

(That was also deep....)

Edited by Dorothea Joestar Arnold

1 hour ago, Dorothea Joestar Arnold said:

Doubt there'll be "canon couples" the whole point of S Ranking especially for your Avatar is creating your OWN life and destiny in the world you decide. I can see non playable characters that have an established relationship be the only exception.

(That was also deep....)

Now if we were only able to make our OWN avatar in the game.

Some of the design choices feel a bit inconsistent, but maybe the S Supports were really not that hight on the priorites. We will see how deep the supports in general go and it may still be great.

I've always had a lot of fun pairing up characters, so I'm a bit bummed about that. Logically, though, I think limiting supports will make for better writing if executed well, so I understand why the choice was made. 

Like some other people have said - I hope this means Byleths paired endings are less copypaste! The copypaste nature of the endings was really bad in Fates, IMO. Almost all of Selena's paired endings were "(husband) was well known for (thing) after the war. He and his wife, Selena, disappeared from public records after marrying". Since only Byleth is getting paired endings, hopefully they'll get some extra attention, and we won't get weird contradictions like that.

Looks like Lysithea and Sylvain have the most supports of anyone after Byleth, at 17 and 18 respectively. Though I give the edge to Lysithea, considering she manages 11 supports that reach A/S versus Sylvain's 6. Poor guy must be getting rejected left and right.

If paired ending's are a thing, I would find it weird that Byleth can marry a couple's A support participant and invalidate it. My guess is either S ranks are locked behind embargo (doubt) or real romance is just for Byleth.

I agree that limiting supports will make better supports in general, but I'm so thrown off with Byleth being able to romance pretty much everyone. I just wish it was that if there's no S supports, then there should be none at all. I really hope this isn't a sign that Byleth will be like a Corrin.

Since there's no second gen, and therefore no more "breeding" to be done, they didn't need to go with Awakening's and Fates' everyoneXeveryone mechanic and (hopefully) went for quality over quantity, leaving actual romance for just the player character like many other RPGs out there.

Honestly...I'm totally fine with this. I'm still a little worried about how Byleth's S supports will go, but I feel this will be for the better.

Honestly I’m pretty indifferent to avatar S supports, so knowing that they are the only ones makes me a bit sad especially since Byleth is so freaking bland. I don’t mind silent self-inserts since I love Story of Seasons and even DQXI, but IS leaning so far into Persona territory is irritating since I like their MCs less and less with every passing title.

But thinking this is most likely an experiment, and IS will probably pay attention to the fandom’s reaction and keep fine tuning S supports makes it okay for me.

1 hour ago, luchinania said:

Honestly I’m pretty indifferent to avatar S supports, so knowing that they are the only ones makes me a bit sad especially since Byleth is so freaking bland. I don’t mind silent self-inserts since I love Story of Seasons and even DQXI, but IS leaning so far into Persona territory is irritating since I like their MCs less and less with every passing title.

But thinking this is most likely an experiment, and IS will probably pay attention to the fandom’s reaction and keep fine tuning S supports makes it okay for me.

It's actually more Trails of Cold Steel, but even that is probably inspired by Persona and people consider Persona to be the more popular of the two. However, there are certain elements that are seemingly more Trails of Cold Steel than Persona.

Poor Sylvain. No A supports with any women. Not even Flayn who is such a flirt. Curious if he ruins his relationships at the end of each B support

Out of curiosity, which non-students would you guys marry? There's a marriage thread, but it seems to be for students only.

EDIT: No, it's not, but there aren't many recent posts.

Edited by PrincessAlyson

5 minutes ago, redlight said:

It's actually more Trails of Cold Steel, but even that is probably inspired by Persona and people consider Persona to be the more popular of the two. However, there are certain elements that are seemingly more Trails of Cold Steel than Persona.

Poor Sylvain. No A supports with any women. Not even Flayn who is such a flirt. Curious if he ruins his relationships at the end of each B support

Sylvain has A supports with Dorothea, Mercedes, and Ingrid (and Felix as the only guy)

I'd been thinking that without a second gen, this really might just mean we're going back to the pre-awakening style of supports except for Byleth, but students being able to have multiple A supports does kinda throw a wrench there, at least when it comes to endings.

Unless we've got some hidden A+ equivalent somewhere that we don't know about yet, I guess.

I do have to admit I liked matchmaking, but well, we'll see how it goes.

2 minutes ago, Llorona said:

I'd been thinking that without a second gen, this really might just mean we're going back to the pre-awakening style of supports except for Byleth, but students being able to have multiple A supports does kinda throw a wrench there, at least when it comes to endings.

Unless we've got some hidden A+ equivalent somewhere that we don't know about yet, I guess.

With how much Byleth seems like they're not really an avatar, I wouldn't have minded if everyone including Byleth had a limited number of possible S supports/paired endings similar to how things were in the older games

Oh, same, honestly. I can see why they didn't do it, since people already expect certain things from the avatars, but a limited amount of S supports/paired endings for Byleth, with potentially more unique endings at that, would have been pretty neat.

4 minutes ago, firewitch912 said:

With how much Byleth seems like they're not really an avatar, I wouldn't have minded if everyone including Byleth had a limited number of possible S supports/paired endings similar to how things were in the older games

Lol. I'm a dumbdumb. Misunderstood a comment

9 minutes ago, Llorona said:

I noticed that some supports have an arrow next to them from gameplay footage some time ago. Lynhardt and Edelgard had this

3 minutes ago, redlight said:

I noticed that some supports have an arrow next to them from gameplay footage some time ago. Lynhardt and Edelgard had this

The arrows mean that you need to have multiple support convos before they reach the next support level

1 minute ago, firewitch912 said:

The arrows mean that you need to have multiple support convos before they reach the next support level

Really? Thanks. This was a bit of info I was quite curious about

20 minutes ago, redlight said:

From what I heard, the arrows seem to simply indicate it takes more than one conversation to reach that particular rank, not an indication of anything further beyond.

I'll admit I'm not completely thrilled with how supports are being handled. I like working towards the paired endings and the idea of not having any is unappealing to me. I also really dislike the idea of some suuports gping only to B

I'm actually happy with the support system. I like how we only have 2 Bylethsexuals (even though Rhea should be able to support some of the staff and even the house leaders imo) and I think the >> supports will be nice. I do wish they all would have supports up to A however I think some only going to B adds a bit of flavour I guess.

Also I like how Edelgard and Dorothea go to A cause I ship it. Though I am wondering if non Byleth characters will get paired endings or if they are out of the question? Will A ranks be limited maybe?