Not sure if this has been discussed anywhere else, but here goes.  So from what we have heard from those reviewers who have the game, only one character can be a dancer and they were pretty sure the main character (Byleth) can not be said dancer.  Just generally, Fire Emblem is careful not to give you more than one dancer to prevent shenanigans (even if they couldn’t dance for each other like in Heroes).  

Where else have have we seen dancing in this game?  The school ball, as briefly seen in the trailer and the extended cutscene more recently put out on Youtube.  Then there has to be a way of determining who gets to be the dancer which the protagonist, a teacher, cannot take part in.  

Also if dancer was a regular advanced class, which are apparently only available post-timeskip, I doubt the reviewers would have been able to talk about it.  

So so my guess is that the dancer will basically be the prom king/queen.  Perhaps this is awarded to the character with the highest charm (nominally attracting the votes of students) or perhaps Byleth, as a disinterested teacher, is called to award the title of best dancer (seems more likely).  What do others think of this theory?

21 minutes ago, DystopianAlphaOmega said:

Not sure if this has been discussed anywhere else, but here goes.  So from what we have heard from those reviewers who have the game, only one character can be a dancer and they were pretty sure the main character (Byleth) can not be said dancer.  Just generally, Fire Emblem is careful not to give you more than one dancer to prevent shenanigans (even if they couldn’t dance for each other like in Heroes).  

Where else have have we seen dancing in this game?  The school ball, as briefly seen in the trailer and the extended cutscene more recently put out on Youtube.  Then there has to be a way of determining who gets to be the dancer which the protagonist, a teacher, cannot take part in.  

Also if dancer was a regular advanced class, which are apparently only available post-timeskip, I doubt the reviewers would have been able to talk about it.  

So so my guess is that the dancer will basically be the prom king/queen.  Perhaps this is awarded to the character with the highest charm (nominally attracting the votes of students) or perhaps Byleth, as a disinterested teacher, is called to award the title of best dancer (seems more likely).  What do others think of this theory?

We've seen screenshots of people entering characters for a dance competition, that's likely where you can obtain a dancer

Since we've established that there's most likely a dance competition, should we start designating  who gets to be the dancer?

Dancers are proficient in swords, authority, and can also use magic. Based on this information, we can try to single out characters who would be good at this role~

Black Eagles (to be honest, the majority of the people in this house are good candidates. The only ones that may not be are Bernadetta and Caspar)

• Dorothea: the most obvious choice, given her background. She's proficient in both swords and reason, and has a budding talent in Faith. Her personal skill, Songstress, may be a bit hard to utilize since dancers tend to have people move away from them, but it could nice in certain formations. A great choice for dancer.
  • Edelgard: A surprising choice, but Edelgard is proficient with swords and authority IIRC, which lines up with this class' proficiency skills. She also has a budding talent in reason as well. While Dorothea will be a much more support-based dancer, Edelgard will be more of a combat-based dancer. Her personal skill doesn't benefit her allies, but it helps her level up, which is nice for a dancer but it's not a necessity. Since she will be a more combat-oriented dancer, this will help her out.
  • Ferdinand: Another surprisingly choice, but looking at what he's good at, swords will help him out in this class. I was torn between either putting him or Hubert here, but his personal skill gives him Avoid +10, and I personally prefer more defensive abilities for my dancers.
  • Linhardt: part of the magic trio that isn't too good at anything else but magic, so he doesn't have a lot of class options. Dancer is great for him so he isn't stuck being a Mortal Savant/Dark Knight/Holy Knight all the time. He's neutral on swords so this isn't a bad class for him. His personal skill isn't too useful, as I usually try to dance every turn. Hubert may be a better choice, but I feel like Hubert's assets allow him to be more versatile than Linhardt, so I think Linhardt is a good candidate because he doesn't have many classes that he'll work well in naturally.

Blue Lions

• Annette: Ann is good at reason and authority, making her a good candidate for your dancer position. She's neutral on swords, which is ok for training her. She also has a Rally skill, so when she's not dancing, she's rallying. She'll make a great support unit. Plus, her personal likes include singing and dancing so that's a plus.
  • Mercedes: part of the magic trio that isn't too good at anything else but magic, so she doesn't have a lot of class options. It'll be a lot easier to train her to become a dancer than a Holy Knight/Dark Knight/Mortal Savant. She'll still be able to take advantage of Live to Serve as well. She won't be able to use a sword too well, but the prospect of a bow dancer is an interesting idea.
  • Ingrid: Ingrid will be the combat dancer of the group. She's good with swords and she's neutral on magic, so it's not a bad choice for her. I'm not sure how her personal skill meshes with this class, since I'm not sure how many times a dancer will need to lead a battalion despite having an authority proficiency.  One criticism is that this class seems a little out of character for her (I don't know why I have a hard time imagining her dancing) and I get more Mathilda vibes from her rather than Clair vibes. I may make Sylvain a dancer instead since it fits his character more and he has a budding talent in reason and his strength is probably good enough to handle swords well.
  • Felix: It's out of character from him too but he'll be so good. He's great with swords and has a budding talent in reason. I'm not sure how well his personal skill will mesh with this class, as I don't know how much authority impacts this class. 

Golden Deer (Like BE, a lot of the Deer students will be decent as this class. Although I wouldn't make Raphael one, despite how tempting it sounds.)

• Lysithea: part of the magic trio that isn't too good at anything else but magic, so she doesn't have a lot of class options. However, unlike the other two, she has a budding talent in swords, giving her good assets that synergizes with this class. Training with the sword will take some work, but it may be worth it in the long run. Prodigy may not help the dancer class too much, since we'll be spending enough time in this class to where class changing isn't the utmost importance.
  • Marianne: She is proficient in Faith and swords, making her a good dancer candidate. I'd imagine she'll be very similar to Plum from Tear Ring Saga because you'll have her dancing and healing. I find this class to be out of character for her though, and will make Hilda a dancer instead because Hilda looks the part more and something about a really religious girl doing that kind of dance seems out of place. Her personal skill doesn't help too much since you dance to get allies away, but in the right formations it can work really well.
  • Ignatz: Pro in swords and authority and has a budding talent in reason. From that alone he's a great candidate. I just hope the skill he learns from reason gives him some more magic because his base is the lowest out of the 4 Golden Deer to be mentioned. He's into art, and dancing is a pretty artistic skill so it kinda fits? I know he's more into painting than performing, but it's not too far from his original interests. His personal skill is meh unless you have him in battle a lot.
  • Lorenz: Proficient in reason, but is also a good physical unit. I feel like this class also fits his personality because I'd feel like he'd want to dance to impress the ladies. For his personal ability, I'm not sure how effective it will be because I do not know how much dancers will rely on battalions.

Or you can just make the people who like dancing and singing into your dancer. So Dorothea, Annette, and Hilda.

And it doesn't even matter too much because dancers don't see combat too much. But if there's a test for them, characters decent in sword and magic have an advantage.

1 hour ago, Dandy Druid said:

Since we've established that there's most likely a dance competition, should we start designating  who gets to be the dancer?

Dancers are proficient in swords, authority, and can also use magic. Based on this information, we can try to single out characters who would be good at this role~

Black Eagles (to be honest, the majority of the people in this house are good candidates. The only ones that may not be are Bernadetta and Caspar)

• Dorothea: the most obvious choice, given her background. She's proficient in both swords and reason, and has a budding talent in Faith. Her personal skill, Songstress, may be a bit hard to utilize since dancers tend to have people move away from them, but it could nice in certain formations. A great choice for dancer.
  • Edelgard: A surprising choice, but Edelgard is proficient with swords and authority IIRC, which lines up with this class' proficiency skills. She also has a budding talent in reason as well. While Dorothea will be a much more support-based dancer, Edelgard will be more of a combat-based dancer. Her personal skill doesn't benefit her allies, but it helps her level up, which is nice for a dancer but it's not a necessity. Since she will be a more combat-oriented dancer, this will help her out.
  • Ferdinand: Another surprisingly choice, but looking at what he's good at, swords will help him out in this class. I was torn between either putting him or Hubert here, but his personal skill gives him Avoid +10, and I personally prefer more defensive abilities for my dancers.
  • Linhardt: part of the magic trio that isn't too good at anything else but magic, so he doesn't have a lot of class options. Dancer is great for him so he isn't stuck being a Mortal Savant/Dark Knight/Holy Knight all the time. He's neutral on swords so this isn't a bad class for him. His personal skill isn't too useful, as I usually try to dance every turn. Hubert may be a better choice, but I feel like Hubert's assets allow him to be more versatile than Linhardt, so I think Linhardt is a good candidate because he doesn't have many classes that he'll work well in naturally.

Blue Lions

• Annette: Ann is good at reason and authority, making her a good candidate for your dancer position. She's neutral on swords, which is ok for training her. She also has a Rally skill, so when she's not dancing, she's rallying. She'll make a great support unit. Plus, her personal likes include singing and dancing so that's a plus.
  • Mercedes: part of the magic trio that isn't too good at anything else but magic, so she doesn't have a lot of class options. It'll be a lot easier to train her to become a dancer than a Holy Knight/Dark Knight/Mortal Savant. She'll still be able to take advantage of Live to Serve as well. She won't be able to use a sword too well, but the prospect of a bow dancer is an interesting idea.
  • Ingrid: Ingrid will be the combat dancer of the group. She's good with swords and she's neutral on magic, so it's not a bad choice for her. I'm not sure how her personal skill meshes with this class, since I'm not sure how many times a dancer will need to lead a battalion despite having an authority proficiency.  One criticism is that this class seems a little out of character for her (I don't know why I have a hard time imagining her dancing) and I get more Mathilda vibes from her rather than Clair vibes. I may make Sylvain a dancer instead since it fits his character more and he has a budding talent in reason and his strength is probably good enough to handle swords well.
  • Felix: It's out of character from him too but he'll be so good. He's great with swords and has a budding talent in reason. I'm not sure how well his personal skill will mesh with this class, as I don't know how much authority impacts this class. 

Golden Deer (Like BE, a lot of the Deer students will be decent as this class. Although I wouldn't make Raphael one, despite how tempting it sounds.)

• Lysithea: part of the magic trio that isn't too good at anything else but magic, so she doesn't have a lot of class options. However, unlike the other two, she has a budding talent in swords, giving her good assets that synergizes with this class. Training with the sword will take some work, but it may be worth it in the long run. Prodigy may not help the dancer class too much, since we'll be spending enough time in this class to where class changing isn't the utmost importance.
  • Marianne: She is proficient in Faith and swords, making her a good dancer candidate. I'd imagine she'll be very similar to Plum from Tear Ring Saga because you'll have her dancing and healing. I find this class to be out of character for her though, and will make Hilda a dancer instead because Hilda looks the part more and something about a really religious girl doing that kind of dance seems out of place. Her personal skill doesn't help too much since you dance to get allies away, but in the right formations it can work really well.
  • Ignatz: Pro in swords and authority and has a budding talent in reason. From that alone he's a great candidate. I just hope the skill he learns from reason gives him some more magic because his base is the lowest out of the 4 Golden Deer to be mentioned. He's into art, and dancing is a pretty artistic skill so it kinda fits? I know he's more into painting than performing, but it's not too far from his original interests. His personal skill is meh unless you have him in battle a lot.
  • Lorenz: Proficient in reason, but is also a good physical unit. I feel like this class also fits his personality because I'd feel like he'd want to dance to impress the ladies. For his personal ability, I'm not sure how effective it will be because I do not know how much dancers will rely on battalions.

Or you can just make the people who like dancing and singing into your dancer. So Dorothea, Annette, and Hilda.

And it doesn't even matter too much because dancers don't see combat too much. But if there's a test for them, characters decent in sword and magic have an advantage.

Has it been confirmed males can access Dancers?

I think that Raphael has a great design for a male dancer. It looks almost African tribal, if that makes any sense. And the colors of gold and white are great to look at.

As for who I want to use as Dancers, I'm honestly not sure. Most of the FE games I've played have allowed for the option to reclass Dancers and I usually used them because it was easier to level them up that way. The only times I didn't were with the Herons of the Tellius games. And even then I didn't use them too often because I was so afraid of getting them killed. So I am pretty likely going to do playthroughs without the dancer class.

If I had to make a choice though...Dorothea or Petra for the Black Eagles, Felix or Annette for the Blue Lions, and Byleth or Hilda for the Golden Deer. I'll have to start playing before I make any final decisions. Looking forward to seeing everyone's designs as dancers though!

1 minute ago, Mysterique Sign said:

Byleth can be a Dancer

We have proof for this now?

Edit: Oh, you meant they can't.

Edited by 0 Def Cleric
misunderstanding

Since it's advertised that you can switch dancers, I wouldn't mind making Lysithea a dancer. I'm a little worried it might be a waste since she's a magic power house, but giving her a Levin sword would help negate that (granted she shouldn't really be fighting as a dancer). My 2nd pick is Claude for meme reasons but also for his talent as @Mysterique Sign said.

3 minutes ago, iavasechui said:

Dancers can use magic

Yes, but I think the issue arises both because the class doesn't focus on magic and because dancer is mostly a utility class while Lysithea would be better as a gremory or something so she can be focused on dealing heavy magic damage

11 minutes ago, axlorg89 said:

Since it's advertised that you can switch dancers, I wouldn't mind making Lysithea a dancer. I'm a little worried it might be a waste since she's a magic power house, but giving her a Levin sword would help negate that (granted she shouldn't really be fighting as a dancer). My 2nd pick is Claude for meme reasons but also for his talent as @Mysterique Sign said.

I'm not actually sure you can switch between dancers. The leaker who showed this loaded a save from before he made Raphael a dancer to make Flayn a dancer. It might be possible, but I think it's unlikely since we now know the class is connected to a unique event.

5 minutes ago, firewitch912 said:

I'm not actually sure you can switch between dancers. The leaker who showed this loaded a save from before he made Raphael a dancer to make Flayn a dancer. It might be possible, but I think it's unlikely since we now know the class is connected to a unique event.

My bad, rather than switch dancers, I mean that the unit can switch between classes. So for Lysithea, from a Gremory to a Dancer when need be, not between dancers since I believe it's only one seal.

4 minutes ago, axlorg89 said:

My bad, rather than switch dancers, I mean that the unit can switch between classes. So for Lysithea, from a Gremory to a Dancer when need be, not between dancers since I believe it's only one seal.

Oh fair! Plus Lysithea might be able to use Catherine's sword, which might be magic based. So that'll be good for her.

I also wonder what the class mastery will give dancers. It seems overpowered to give them the refresh ability, but I'm not sure what else would make sense for a dancer class.

Edit: I think I'll make Sylvain or Felix my dancer, even though I think faith is more useful for the class

Edited by firewitch912

6 hours ago, SimplyUnknown said:

Then I guess Hilda is my Golden Deer dancer then. Unless one of the other members proves to be a better option.

Ignatz is strong with swords and authority, and he can still use bows pretty well considering how awful the snipers stats are. Additionally. Dancer lets him make use of his budding talent in reason, so that's 3 of his 4 skills being covered by Dancer and he can still shoot people well thanks to combat arts that increase bow range. 

7 hours ago, SimplyUnknown said:

Then I guess Hilda is my Golden Deer dancer then. Unless one of the other members proves to be a better option.

8 minutes ago, SpiceMan said:

Ignatz is strong with swords and authority, and he can still use bows pretty well considering how awful the snipers stats are. Additionally. Dancer lets him make use of his budding talent in reason, so that's 3 of his 4 skills being covered by Dancer and he can still shoot people well thanks to combat arts that increase bow range. 

Yeah, Hilda looks to be the worst Golden Deer for dancer. She's bad in Authority and Faith, and doesn't even have strengths in Swords or Reason to counteract it. Plus it seems like Faith will be the better magic to use for dancer b/c it seems to have more utility spells, which work for a utility class, but we'll see. Raphael honestly would be a better option for the class. 

Lysithea and Marianne both have strengths in for the class, and Claude has Sword and Authority, though he's bad at Faith. Flayn could be an option as well, plus you could recruit someone

33 minutes ago, SpiceMan said:

Not to mention it will take advantage of his artistic side. Fits his character... a little.

18 minutes ago, firewitch912 said:

Yeah, Hilda looks to be the worst Golden Deer for dancer. She's bad in Authority and Faith, and doesn't even have strengths in Swords or Reason to counteract it. Plus it seems like Faith will be the better magic to use for dancer b/c it seems to have more utility spells, which work for a utility class, but we'll see. Raphael honestly would be a better option for the class. 

Lysithea and Marianne both have strengths in for the class, and Claude has Sword and Authority, though he's bad at Faith. Flayn could be an option as well, plus you could recruit someone

Sad that Hilda is arguably the worst one (either her or Raphael), especially since one of her interests/hobbies/likes includes both dancing and singing. She's lucky you can use any weapon type with any class. Axe dancer it is. Maybe some reason magic as well. Since there's no easy master class for the Warrior line, "Dancer" will be her master class of sorts I guess. 

Spoiler

Can Manuela become a dancer? On that notion, can teachers/church characters in general become dancers? Because Manuela has a weakness in Reason, but a strength in Faith and Sword, along with a personal skill that increases Crit Avoid by +10 for adjacent allies (and her?), which makes her ideal for utility. Not to mention, her statline from what I've seen fits the high Speed, Luck, and Resistance archetype for dancers, and her defense isn't too bad. Also, she works for the Miller Frank Opera Company, so it kinda works story wise too.

Other than her, the only Church character that might fit is Flayn. With both Reason (even if hidden) and Faith, she might work pretty well, and could use lances as her defensive weapon. But I have no idea what her personal skill is, and by extension, if it works for dancer. And irregardless of age, she doesn't strike me as a dancer personality.

5 minutes ago, StriderSean said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Can Manuela become a dancer? On that notion, can teachers/church characters in general become dancers? Because Manuela has a weakness in Reason, but a strength in Faith and Sword, along with a personal skill that increases Crit Avoid by +10 for adjacent allies (and her?), which makes her ideal for utility. Not to mention, her statline from what I've seen fits the high Speed, Luck, and Resistance archetype for dancers, and her defense isn't too bad. Also, she works for the Miller Frank Opera Company, so it kinda works story wise too.

Other than her, the only Church character that might fit is Flayn. With both Reason (even if hidden) and Faith, she might work pretty well, and could use lances as her defensive weapon. But I have no idea what her personal skill is, and by extension, if it works for dancer. And irregardless of age, she doesn't strike me as a dancer personality.

The only possible dancers are the students for each class + Flayn apparently

43 minutes ago, firewitch912 said:

The only possible dancers are the students for each class + Flayn apparently

Well that puts a hindrance on my idea. At least Flayn has some potential as a dancer, though I feel like she would do best as a Gremory.

7 minutes ago, StriderSean said:

Well that puts a hindrance on my idea. At least Flayn has some potential as a dancer, though I feel like she would do best as a Gremory.

There's one small potential problem with Flayn

Spoiler

Depending on your choices, you might have to fight her and kill her even though she was recruited