(SPOILERS) Three Houses General Spoilers Thread

BZL8

7 minutes ago, MrMetroid said:

I believe these are the ones for Dimitri & Edelgard. Also added in Byleth's in case anyone was curious.

Hide contents

Edelgard's final unique, AKA Emperor Class

Dimitri's final unique, AKA Great Lord Class

Byleth's final uniques (Male+Female), AKA Enlightened One Class - For some reason, the female doesn't get the elaborate robe the male does. Dunno why - only reason I can personally come up with is it's for fanservice (stocking-clad legs, exposed navel, etc). 

And lastly, at the risk of MAJOR SPOILERS (seriously, do not click the link below if you don't want to spoil a major part of the ending for one route);
Here is the special class Edelgard takes as a unique boss for the Blue Lions route, AKA "The Hegemon."

Thank you

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So to those who know the story I have an important question. 

How good is the Golden Deer as a starting house? From what I'm hearing

Spoiler

the main conflict is between Eagles and Lions with the Golden Deer kinda playing Hufflepuff and doing their own thing

Is this a bad thing? Will the story turn out weaker if you start with the Golden Deers? Or are the Golden Deer different but still a good starting point?

I'm constantly flip flopping between the Golden Deer's and Black Eagle's so knowing this would help a lot. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Looking at the growths for different classes, it looks like the Master Classes aren't actually a direct upgrade in most cases? A Wyvern Lord is a clear upgrade over a Rider with 20 more points worth of growth, but for example a Swordmaster actually has more points than a Mortal Savant with 55 over 45. Similarly, Paladins have higher growths than Great Knights by 20 points. Seems that you aren't really pressured into going into a Master Class unless you actually want the features of that class.

Gamefaqs is going crazy over Edelgard's sheer gray morality.

My opinion ? "You have betrayed my heart for the second time !
I like that. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)"
Continue to be an interesting lord.

5 hours ago, MrMetroid said:
  Reveal hidden contents

And once again, I disagree; if anything I’d think it’d be a worse/more boring option to have it just be another case of “scars to repay the enemy for” or some such. IMHO, it’s less “dumb and edgy” as opposed to showing a main character who, for the first time in a while, isn’t an invulnerable bastion of willpower - he goes to war to flee guilt over what he devolves into (a berserker who doesn’t have to think about anything more than fighting), with enough self-resentment to make it believable that he might just wake up one day in such a state that it seems “sensible" to take out an eye that can't see anything else but despair by that point. By his own admission, Byleth is honestly the straw that keeps him from breaking into a suicidal blood-knight the Blue Lions route, just as they’re what keep Claude resolute in the Golden Deer route or keep Edelgard from going full tyrant in the Black Lions route.

Reveal hidden contents

Is IHMO a far more understandable or comprehensible response to severe PTSD than, like I said before, how some lead-characters in past FE games have handled it. Again, take Corrin in the Conquest path of Fates - their brother Ryoma commits suicide, right in front of them, after they’d just ruined their kingdom… and they immediately get over it in the next scene with Azura. That’s not how trauma works - not unless the person in question is already of questionable sanity to begin with, IMHO. I mean, it’s the same. Damn. Chapter - Dimitri at least had the excuse/justification of having several more years of war and bloodshed to break under and recover from.

Consider what Dimitri goes through in this game - helplessly watching his family be slaughtered before his eyes, being forced to kill possessed civilians, watching his kingdom and school descend into chaos, learning all of it seemingly caused by his own stepsister Edelgard (aka the Flame Emperor and the person closest to his heart at the time) in a coup to claim her Empire’s throne, then having Edelgard declare open war on the other nations with the intent to reabsorb them all into her own and obliterate the land’s Church-system by murdering it’s archbishop. And this isn’t even counting the fact he started out as a wide-eyed idealist who wasn’t even a full adult by the time this all went down. Like I said before, it’s honestly a far more accurate representation of how nigh-deranged severe trauma and/or PTSD can make someone - especially when they’re from a Game-of-Thrones style of life and already had some degree of trauma in them like Dimitri was hinted to have, in contrast to characters like Corrin or Xander who seem far more well-adjusted to it then their characterizations arguably should allow.

You have a point, honestly, I'm not saying otherwise, it just seem a tad overboard. But in the end, it's probably just me.

4 hours ago, MrMetroid said:

I believe these are the ones for Dimitri & Edelgard. Also added in Byleth's in case anyone was curious.

Reveal hidden contents

Edelgard's final unique, AKA Emperor Class

Dimitri's final unique, AKA Great Lord Class

Byleth's final uniques (Male+Female), AKA Enlightened One Class - For some reason, the female doesn't get the elaborate robe the male does. Dunno why - only reason I can personally come up with is it's for fanservice (stocking-clad legs, exposed navel, etc). 

And lastly, at the risk of MAJOR SPOILERS (seriously, do not click the link below if you don't want to spoil a major part of the ending for one route);
Here is the special class Edelgard takes as a unique boss for the Blue Lions route, AKA "The Hegemon."

Got some serious Breath Of Fire 4 final boss vibe over this form.

Edelgard, sweetie, the kaiser of my life, why didn't you had this form when on my side.

The Final Master classes are ridiculously cool.

3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

So to those who know the story I have an important question. 

How good is the Golden Deer as a starting house? From what I'm hearing

Reveal hidden contents

the main conflict is between Eagles and Lions with the Golden Deer kinda playing Hufflepuff and doing their own thing

Is this a bad thing? Will the story turn out weaker if you start with the Golden Deers? Or are the Golden Deer different but still a good starting point?

I'm constantly flip flopping between the Golden Deer's and Black Eagle's so knowing this would help a lot. 

Spoiler

I'd say the story turns out a bit weaker, if only because it's the most stand-alone/separated from the game's initial "inter-house conflict" premise. From what I understand, the Golden Deer path was written/created after the Blue Lions and Black Eagles paths were, and it shows since (IMHO at least) it's the least well-connected.

Dimitri and Edelgard, the respective leads of the Blue Lions and Black Eagles, are closely connected as step-siblings who's parents - the royals of two separate kingdoms - married as a means of bridging an alliance, therefore Edelgard's eventual transgressions against Dimitri provide a lot of narrative weight behind their clashing in either one of their routes. Likewise, Edelgard has a rather antagonistic relationship towards the Church of Seiros, which she believes fabricated legends and history to fracture her kingdom into the current three factions and keep humanity suppressed/controlled under a false god. Claude by contrast doesn't have any direct connection/grudges with the pair beyond them being estranged friends who's family-feud endangered his kingdom - he has a clear stake in the conflict, but it's arguably not as personal as Edelgard's is with the Church/Rhea, or as Dimitri's is with Edelgard.

Simply put; the Blue Lions route focuses primarily on fighting the Black Eagles/Edelgard; the Black Eagles focuses primarily on fighting the Church of Serios with the Blue Lions being a supporter of them; by contrast, the Golden Deer route is less focused on a set group - it's about surviving that conflict and then doing mop-up of the other the two factions after they weaken each-other too much. Or at least that's my abbreviating of it without giving away too much.

That being said, If you're curious about it and either don't want to wait to buy the game or lack a Nintendo Switch to play it with, I know at least two Youtubers who have started Golden Deer playthroughs (fair warning, though; even though you choose your starting house very early, it takes until chapter 12-13 for the real divergence in paths/storyline to occur).
(1) - Youtuber Mekkkha's playthrough
(2) - Youtuber poledoo's playthrough

Edited by MrMetroid

Does anyone know how S supports work yet, as in when exactly they occur and how you choose them? Because (extremely vague/minor spoiler)

Spoiler

Based on some stuff I saw it seemed like they only occur at the end of the game, ie multiple supports mention the war being over. Which made me wonder if you were able to wander around the castle one final time after beating the final chapter and then pick your S support. Yet some videos I saw of endings made it seem like that's not actually the case. This person didn't S support anyone so I couldn't tell about the exact timing, but there definitely wasn't a moment where they got to walk around again after the final boss.

So again, I have to wonder, when do S supports occur, and when do you choose who you S support?

EDIT: Found a partial answer:

Spoiler

Looks like the S supports do indeed occur at the very end of the game, after the main ending narration, but before the battle records and individual paired endings. See for example the video below (Spoilers for church ending and Sothis s support). I am still curious though how you choose them though. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg1iI6NRDdg

Edited by Mad_Scientist

2 hours ago, MrMetroid said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I'd say the story turns out a bit weaker, if only because it's the most stand-alone/separated from the game's initial "inter-house conflict" premise. From what I understand, the Golden Deer path was written/created after the Blue Lions and Black Eagles paths were, and it shows since (IMHO at least) it's the least well-connected.

Dimitri and Edelgard, the respective leads of the Blue Lions and Black Eagles, are closely connected as step-siblings who's parents - the royals of two separate kingdoms - married as a means of bridging an alliance, therefore Edelgard's eventual transgressions against Dimitri provide a lot of narrative weight behind their clashing in either one of their routes. Likewise, Edelgard has a rather antagonistic relationship towards the Church of Seiros, which she believes fabricated legends and history to fracture her kingdom into the current three factions and keep humanity suppressed/controlled under a false god. Claude by contrast doesn't have any direct connection/grudges with the pair beyond them being estranged friends who's family-feud endangered his kingdom - he has a clear stake in the conflict, but it's arguably not as personal as Edelgard's is with the Church/Rhea, or as Dimitri's is with Edelgard.

Simply put; the Blue Lions route focuses primarily on fighting the Black Eagles/Edelgard; the Black Eagles focuses primarily on fighting the Church of Serios with the Blue Lions being a supporter of them; by contrast, the Golden Deer route is less focused on a set group - it's about surviving that conflict and then doing mop-up of the other the two factions after they weaken each-other too much. Or at least that's my abbreviating of it without giving away too much.

That being said, If you're curious about it and either don't want to wait to buy the game or lack a Nintendo Switch to play it with, I know at least two Youtubers who have started Golden Deer playthroughs (fair warning, though; even though you choose your starting house very early, it takes until chapter 12-13 for the real divergence in paths/storyline to occur).

Thank you. I do it with pain in my heart but I'll save my Deers for my second playthrough then. I guess the choice being so hard is a compliment for the game.

I think im near the ending of the first part. No spoilers please, just want to know, can i get more than 10 units on the field after the skip/at some point (when)? Just want to know so i dont train some units that i wont be able to use.

13 minutes ago, Nio said:

I think im near the ending of the first part. No spoilers please, just want to know, can i get more than 10 units on the field after the skip/at some point (when)? Just want to know so i dont train some units that i wont be able to use.

I'm pretty sure it's 10 plus what ever adjutants you can have max for every map in the game

On 7/26/2019 at 4:51 PM, Mysterique Sign said:

I haven't been in this thread in a while so I don't know if it's already been discussed, but can someone tell me about Nader and Judith?

Spoiler

They are Claude's parents. Judith is the daughter of Duke Riegan, ruler of the Leicester Alliance, and Nader is the king of Almyra, a kingdom east of Fódlan.

Edited by Ace Flashheart

• BZL8 changed the title to (SPOILERS) Three Houses General Spoilers Thread

So im in chapter 11 when edelgard turns out to be the flame emperor. I went with her to the coronation. I need to know if because of that she betrayed the church. What would have happened if i didnt go with her? Now i have to decide to kill her or not.... So anything would have happened different before this?

Edit: Just want to know that, please no spoilers on what happens next. Just want to know if i can make her not to betray the church with the coronation stuff.

Edited by Nio

If you didn't go, she would go against church anyway, but you would be stuck on church route instead of getting option became villain of story with her. Now you can decide follow either branch.

Edited by Tenzen12

2 minutes ago, Tenzen12 said:

If you didn't go, she would go against church anyway, but you would be stuck on church route instead of getting option became villain of story with her.

OHHH thanks a lot! So because i didnt go there, it was church 100%. Now i can at least choose. So i can save here and reload a different path latter. THANKS A LOT

Edited by Nio

21 hours ago, MrMetroid said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

I actually think that's kind of fitting. A major point Claude makes is that during power struggles it's the common people in between that shed the most blood, especially poignant since in most routes killing Claude is entirely optional.

Spoiler

Also I never thought I'd agree with B.Leu on this fact, but I'm actually really satisfied that there isn't a "perfect ending" FE Revelations-style. As someone who usually enjoys very happy endings I'm very satisfied how every route is played, and that none of them feel like the "wrong" choice. Each path you take has its ups and downs with its own bittersweet moments. Also this opens the FLOODGATES when it comes fanfiction. I've never felt so excited to see what fans can do with an already great story!

Are there any other students recruitable besides Lysithea post time skip, in terms of fighting them and getting the option to “spare” or “recruit” them? I know there’s been rumors, but I would like confirmation.

3 hours ago, Cyan1456 said:
  Hide contents

Also I never thought I'd agree with B.Leu on this fact, but I'm actually really satisfied that there isn't a "perfect ending" FE Revelations-style. As someone who usually enjoys very happy endings I'm very satisfied how every route is played, and that none of them feel like the "wrong" choice. Each path you take has its ups and downs with its own bittersweet moments. Also this opens the FLOODGATES when it comes fanfiction. I've never felt so excited to see what fans can do with an already great story!

Spoiler

Maybe. Personally speaking though, I'm truthfully not on that same spectrum - as good as Three Houses is in terms of immersion, character-interaction and an interconnected story, I feel that it's routes actually have weaker endings then those of Fate's.

No mater how divisive they were, at least every single one of Fates routes had conclusive endings to their respective stories - Birthright, Conquest and Revelation all ended with the crowning of a ruler, the closing words of the chosen family/families and a general sense of closure to that route's plot before moving onto epilogue slides. By sharp contrast of that, all of the routes in Three Houses end rather abruptly IMHO - immediately after the final boss's death-cinematic, it just goes straight to epilogue slides; no closing words with the main characters, no final closure beyond the epilogue slides, no witnessing the return home to whatever side you chose or any of the other things both Fate and Awakening did to make a satisfying ending for.

Simply put; as good as the rest of the story is, I'd honestly say the way the endings go will halve that excitement for most people (especially in the fanfiction department since there's apparently a lot less options for parings than other games). There's already enough comparisons to Game of Thrones over the way Dimitri and Edelgard's storylines play out - but now I'm worried it'll now have another comparison to it for having (IMHO at least) a similarly-abrupt and somewhat unsatisfying ending. 

Edited by MrMetroid

48 minutes ago, MrMetroid said:
  Hide contents

Maybe. Personally speaking though, I'm truthfully not on that same spectrum - as good as Three Houses is in terms of immersion, character-interaction and an interconnected story, I feel that it's routes actually have weaker endings then those of Fate's.

No mater how divisive they were, at least every single one of Fates routes had conclusive endings to their respective stories - Birthright, Conquest and Revelation all ended with the crowning of a ruler, the closing words of the chosen family/families and a general sense of closure to that route's plot before moving onto epilogue slides. By sharp contrast of that, all of the routes in Three Houses end rather abruptly IMHO - immediately after the final boss's death-cinematic, it just goes straight to epilogue slides; no closing words with the main characters, no final closure beyond the epilogue slides, no witnessing the return home to whatever side you chose or any of the other things both Fate and Awakening did to make a satisfying ending for.

Simply put; as good as the rest of the story is, I'd honestly say the way the endings go will halve that excitement for most people (especially in the fanfiction department since there's apparently a lot less options for parings than other games). There's already enough comparisons to Game of Thrones over the way Dimitri and Edelgard's storylines play out - but now I'm worried it'll now have another comparison to it for having (IMHO at least) a similarly-abrupt and somewhat unsatisfying ending. 

I agreed with this so much it finally got me to stop lurking.

Spoiler

I understand enjoying the tone more than recent games, but to say Three Houses' endings are inherently better than Fates' just for that reason is a bit narrow-minded IMO.

That said, I suppose it's still too early to tell how these games really stack up against each other when we still don't have a real understanding of 3H's DLC plans and how they'll shape the overall work.

I'm curious counting about which Lord(s) die on which routes. I've seen a few prior posts both here and on reddit, so can anyone confirm / correct  / clarify this? (I hope this is the right thread).

Spoiler

Black Eagles: Dimitri dies (by us), Rhea dies (also by us), Claude can be spared

Blue Lions: Edelgard dies (by Dimitri in a cutscene), Rhea lives, Claude is MIA? Killed?

Golden Deer: Dimitri dies (during timeskip?), Edelgard dies (offscreen because of Dedue), Rhea lives.

Church: Edelgard dies, Dimitri dies (during timeskip), Claude is MIA? Dies off screen?, oh and Rhea may or may not die somehow?

Apparently Claude's a ninja or something, given his possible survival rates or unknown status. Is there a condition which allows Rhea to live or die?

Thank you for any help!

29 minutes ago, Vasilios said:

I'm curious counting about which Lord(s) die on which routes. I've seen a few prior posts both here and on reddit, so can anyone confirm / correct  / clarify this? (I hope this is the right thread).

Hide contents

Black Eagles: Dimitri dies (by us), Rhea dies (also by us), Claude can be spared

Blue Lions: Edelgard dies (by Dimitri in a cutscene), Rhea lives, Claude is MIA? Killed?

Golden Deer: Dimitri dies (during timeskip?), Edelgard dies (offscreen because of Dedue), Rhea lives.

Church: Edelgard dies, Dimitri dies (during timeskip), Claude is MIA? Dies off screen?, oh and Rhea may or may not die somehow?

Apparently Claude's a ninja or something, given his possible survival rates or unknown status. Is there a condition which allows Rhea to live or die?

Thank you for any help!

Spoiler

That all sounds about right. Like I mentioned in an earlier comment, the Golden Deer path is kinda messy because Claude doesn't have any real direct conflict with or grudge against the other houses beyond the general threat they pose to his kingdom - it's not personal for him, so it never gets as dark/bad for him as it can for Dimitri or Edelgard. On the flip-side of that, it also means he's the one the others are most inclined to spare or let go of - so long as Byleth's around to be the voice of reason for Edelgard or Dimitri. 

As for Rhea living in the Church route, it is indeed possible... but you have to get S-Support with her. Yes, that's right - the power of love is basically what allows Rhea to fight off the madness of her dragon-instincts at the last moment. And that's without addressing the fact said love is with Byleth/the MC - AKA, the child of what was basically a pseudo-clone of Reha's own mother created from a failed attempt to resurrect her... which technically makes Byleth a close relative at best and a flat-out half-sibling to her at worst. And since Rhea turns out to be Seiros (AKA, an ancient warrior who's way older than you) and said mother of Rhea turns out to be Sothis (who's spirit is inside Byleth's head/merged with his soul), it means the only way for her to live in the Church route is for her to fall in love with what's technically both her own cousin/younger half-sibling and her own mother's vessel/reincarnation. 

... and to think people said Fates had the most messed-up love options XD. 

Edited by MrMetroid

1 minute ago, MrMetroid said:
  Hide contents

That all sounds about right. Like I mentioned in an earlier comment, the Golden Deer path is kinda messy because Claude doesn't have any real direct conflict with or grudge against the other houses beyond the general threat they pose to his kingdom - it's not personal for him, so it never gets as dark/bad for him as it can for Dimitri or Edelgard. On the flip-side of that, it also means he's the one the others are most inclined to spare or let go of - so long as Byleth's around to be the voice of reason for Edelgard or Dimitri. 

As for Rhea living in the Church route, it is indeed possible... but you have to get S-Support with her. Yes, that's right - the power of love is basically what allows Rhea to fight off the madness of her dragon-instincts at the last moment. And that's without addressing the fact said love is with Byleth/the MC - AKA, the child of what was basically a pseudo-clone of Reha's own mother created from a failed attempt to resurrect her... which technically makes Byleth a close relative at best and a flat-out half-sibling to her at worst. And since Rhea turns out to be Seiros (AKA, an ancient warrior who's way older than you) said mother of Rhea turns out to be Sothis (who's spirit is inside Byleth's head/merged with his soul), she's technically in love with someone who's both her own cousin/younger half-sibling and her own mother's vessel/reincarnation. 

... and to think people said Fates had the most messed-up love options XD. 

Spoiler

Who knows, maybe IS will claim that they're totally not related in an interview through some contrivance, like they did with Azura.

41 minutes ago, ADeadDiehard said:

I agreed with this so much it finally got me to stop lurking.

Reveal hidden contents

I understand enjoying the tone more than recent games, but to say Three Houses' endings are inherently better than Fates' just for that reason is a bit narrow-minded IMO.

That said, I suppose it's still too early to tell how these games really stack up against each other when we still don't have a real understanding of 3H's DLC plans and how they'll shape the overall work.

Thought I would also stop lurking and come in to agree with both of these posts. Bit of a ramble/mini review/disorganised brain--fart below with my thoughts. I anyone has any questions about the game (especially the BE and BL routes or general game play questions) feel free to ask. Spoilers, obviously.

Spoiler

I've had the game for about a week (with 55 hours in game time) now and have had the chance to finish it nearly twice (once with BE/Edel and nearly through another run with BL/Dimi) and the biggest criticism I have with the game is that it's pacing is all over the place. The character writing, lore and overall plot are all excellently done and possibly the best in the series but the way the story is told through the game doesn't flow particularly well in my opinion, the midgame and ending both seeming especially abrupt. The build up and early game is well done but once you get to the point where your father is killed the pacing started feeling wonky and very quick.

For reference, I beat my first play through (Normal/Classic, my current in progress BL playthrough is Hard/Classic) of BE in 32 hours without rushing and getting all my characters to level 40+, max support, all available paralogues and all rare enemy (monster) battles (note that I didn't recruit student characters outside my house, only the neutral characters as I wanted to leave the other students for their respective playthroughs) and I feel that it REALLY needed more chapters post timeskip. There are 18 (19 if you count the prologue) chapters in BE's route, 13 pre-timeskip (though basically 12 in practice) but only 5 after and you REALLY feel like they had to work to cram the whole war/second half of the game in those 5 chapters with any kind of satifaction. The BL route so far has more chapters (I think it has a total of 21) and the pacing is quite a bit better but still not great (and I imagine the ending will still not be satisying), I'm not sure about GD and Church. Regardless I feel that it really needed 12 chapters (for a total of 24/25) for the second half of the game to feel satisfying and not rushed, at least in the BE route. The ending especially is really abrupt and it really could have used a post-game chapter. I honestly feel like Fates does that "mult-route/side" type of story better (especially when it comes to the endings) and I'm pretty certain that 3H would be a much better game from a story perspective if it didn't have the 3 house mechanic but rather a more normal RPG story structure.

I really only have 2 other major critiques of 3H, the first being that combat is pretty easy, even playing on Hard I honestly could (and do quite often on my current NG+ playthrough) let the auto battle do half of the fights in the game. The second being that a lot of the added mechanics (fishing, gardening and also kind of quests as they're generally really shallow and are only there to give you some renown and basic items) are kind of pointless unless you really want to min max (they're also really shallow systems which doesn't help), the problem with that is that the game isn't really hard enough to warrant it as you can beat hard even without the NG+ benefits) without worrying about stats at all as long as you're keeping on top of your levels/gear to a reasonable degree, this will probably change when Lunatic is added but it still wouldn't change how shallow fishing/gardening/cooking is. You'll also quickly realise that if this game didn't have the academy exploration portion and was structured like a traditional FE it would be rather short as the majority of the game is spent running around the academy looking for lost items (and who they belong to), doing fetch quests, having couple of sentence conversations with the characters, having tea with characters etc.

I overall did really like the game, despite the combat not being difficult it is really fun, the support conversations, characters and lore as a whole are EXCELLENTLY written and are by far the part of the game I look forward to the most and the presentation is mostly great with some performance issues (I mostly noticed these docked) somewhat holding it back. But I still feel like it kind of has a lot of wasted potential that comes down to trying to be overly ambitious with the fleshed out and entirely different routes and the new academy mechanics without having either the time/money/manpower to fully see it through. I hope we get a 5th chapter DLC that kind of ties the game together which is not something I thought I would say as I generally dislike true routes, especially as DLC.

My advice for those wondering which route to play first would be to not go for the BE route but rather BL(so far I would say that BL is a pretty big improvement story wise over BE but I haven't finished it yet)/GD/Church as I was honestly rather let down by the second half of it (hell, I was rather let down by Edelgard's plan as a whole as I found her actions and logic pretty flawed but this is personal opinion) even if I loved the characters (Hubert ended up having some of my favourite support links in the game when I honestly went into it expecting to dislike him) and really enjoyed Edelgard's character and support links a lot.