When is it optimal to promote in Three Houses

I think you should promote as soon as you can.

From what I've seen, you can switch classes before every battle, so the more certification exams you've passed, the more choice you have, and your level is not reset at 1, so why bother staying in your base class? You're not going to get any extra levels from it.

Well there are 4 tiers of classes in Three Houses; Beginner; Intermediate; Advanced and Master; unlocked at level 5; 10; 20 and 30 respectively.

There are (presumably) 40 levels for each unit in this game; and that number doesn't reset upon changing class, but staying in a specific class does allow you to level that class' skill proficiencies more effectively; so staying in a specific class would allow for that. There is also a class mastery feature that rewards you with an ability that you can then carry to another class upon "mastering" that class; mastering is a gauge that fills as you battle. For example; mastering Noble/Commoner(the basic class that most units start as); rewards you with the HP +5 skill; meanwhile mastering Fighter grants Str +2; and mastering Cavalier grants Desperation. 

So my advice would be if that class is beneficial to your unit's progression through their skill levels; stay in it until you master it to unlock the skill and then you can worry about promoting to the next tier at the next promotion level threshold; or move to another class on the same tier to unlock their mastery skill.

Levels don't reset, so promote asap.

There's just one reason to stay in a lower class, and that's class mastery. Basically the more you fight in a class the more you gain "class experience" in that class, once you get enough you "master" the class and get a skill. From what I understand that skill is permanent (while class skills are tied to your current class), so there may be some classes for which is worth waiting to master, but we'll have to see what's the power level of those skills. I can imagine it could be a big thing for mages if they get powerful spells.

There's also no drawback to "side promote" (if you have enough seals), the more classes you unlock the more freedom you have in battle prep (as class changing between classes you've unlocked is completely free), that obviously can affects growths and skill levels as well (if you need some Res or good Lance maybe pass some time as a PegKnight).

I think you want to use seals to unlock  new class asap for the little stat boost you get from unlocking a class.

That said I also think you want to stay in a class until you unlock its mastery skill. So unlock asap but dont necessarily USE asap.

Can someone explain how mastery of class skills work? From what I hear, you can only have 3 class skill slots. So my question is, let’s say you promote Byleth into a hero, we know he gets swordfaire and vantage. Does he have to unlock those class skills by mastery or does he get them automatically and he will get a new skill if he masters the class?

2 hours ago, Spectraman said:

Can someone explain how mastery of class skills work? From what I hear, you can only have 3 class skill slots. So my question is, let’s say you promote Byleth into a hero, we know he gets swordfaire and vantage. Does he have to unlock those class skills by mastery or does he get them automatically and he will get a new skill if he masters the class?

Actually, those skills are locked to that class and are lost once you leave it.

3 hours ago, Spectraman said:

Byleth would immediately gain Swordfaire and vantage which would fill up 2 of his 3 class slots, if he was previously a thief for example, he would forget locktouch and steal. Class mastery unlocks a separate skill that can be equipped no matter the class. As far as I am aware the new skill falls under the professor abilities which have 5 available slots.

Edited by SpiceMan

7 minutes ago, SpiceMan said:

Byleth would immediately gain Swordfaire and vantage which would fill up 2 of his 3 class slots, if he was previously a thief for example, he would forget locktouch and steal. Class mastery unlocks a separate skill that can be equipped no matter the class. As far as I am aware the new skill falls under the professor abilities which have 5 available slots.

Oh wow, that’s OP. I was wondering since they were balancing the skills into class and professor, would it have been possible to abuse the reclass system to get skills from other classes just like how players did in fates by reclassing their units and then leveling them up to a certain lvl and then reclassing back to gain those new skills. But it seems that mastery is pretty hard as I do believe mastering advanced classes require 200 exp, and 1 attack is 1 exp and I have no idea how much a kill is worth in exp. 

You have 9 slots:

1 - Personal skill

3 - Class skills (swordfaire, vantage, terrain resistance, locktouch and so on), not sure if you get them immediately or if it depends on how much you've mastered the class

5 - whatever skills, so proficiency skills (the ones you unlock by leveling a weapon rank), unlocked hidden talents and mastery skills. Maybe even some item or story based ones.

The first 4 are fixed (even if your class has no skills those 3 slots are locked), I'm not even sure you can unequip them even if you want. The last 5 slots is where you can customize your character and just do whatever you want. Note that magic spells and combat arts are their own separate thing.

7 minutes ago, Spectraman said:

But it seems that mastery is pretty hard as I do believe mastering advanced classes require 200 exp, and 1 attack is 1 exp and I have no idea how much a kill is worth in exp. 

To add to this, it's 1 exp for any round of combat/support you are in. If you kill an enemy, 1 exp. If you miss your attack, 1 exp. If you heal an ally, it's 1 exp. Even if you get shot by a bow from 4 spaces away and you can't counter, it's 1 exp. Additionally at the academy there are 4 saint statues that can increase your skills via renown https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/pre-release/renown-saint-statues/ (Link for more detail on it), and the Cethlenn statue grants class mastery +1 if you can deposit 2000 renown into that statue, which presumably means every round of combat would now give +2 Class mastery exp.

Edited by SpiceMan

1. The game isn't out yet.
2. Unless you're doing some kind of written guide with optimization, the answer is "whenever the hell you feel like it".