Of mages and specialties in magic

It appears that different magically-inclined students learn different magic at different rates, as shown by Hubert's aptitude with dark magic, while Dorothea learning electrical magic.

What do you think every Reason-using character will specialize in? The characters with Reason aptitudes are: Hubert, Dorothea, Linhardt, Annette, Mercedes, Lysithea and Lorenz. (Additionally, the following have Hidden Talents in Reason: Edelgard, Sylvain, Felix, Ignatz).

And how will this apply to the Faith-focused characters? What unique magics will they learn, or in what order? Faith aptitudes: Linhardt, Mercedes, Lysithea, Marianne. (Faith Hidden Talents: Dorothea, Byleth).

I don't know for all of them but for the naturally skilled Reason user i'd say. 

Hubert: Dark                                                                                                    

Dorothea: Thunder                                                                                           

Annette: Wind                                                                                                  

Lysithea: Dark  (Those 4 are basically confirmed)                                     

Lorenz: Fire                                                                                                        

Mercedes: Fire 

Linhardt: Wind 

Since we've only seen 4 types of reason magic so far(to my knowledge, if sagittae can count as a dark spell) I'd be willing to bet the 4 budding talent users will have 1 each.

Edelgard: Fire

Sylvain: Dark

Felix: Thunder/Wind

Ignatz: Wind/Thunder

As for Faith user, I can only say if I thin they will be more offensive or supportive.

Linhardt - Healing (Crest ties into it)

Mercedes - Support

Marianne - Offensive

Lysithea - Offensive

Dorothea - Support

Byleth - Healing

Edited by SpiceMan

13 minutes ago, SpiceMan said:

Since we've only seen 4 types of reason magic so far(to my knowledge, if sagittae can count as a dark spell) I'd be willing to bet the 4 budding talent users will have 1 each.

Edelgard: Fire

Sylvain: Dark

Felix: Thunder/Wind

Ignatz: Wind/Thunder

I'd guess Ignatz is wind, which would make Felix Thunder. (Ignatz just feels like a wind mage to me).

But we also need to think beyond just those with skill strengths in reason and faith. What will people who are neutral gain from leveling this skill? What about those who are weak in reason and faith? Does Byleth learn every kind of reason, or are they restricted to just one? and which one?

I'm particularly curious to see what Byleth learns in Reason (I hope it's dark), and what his talent in Faith gives. Good magic could sway me to put time in Reason.

Also Hanneman seems to be a wind mage (he's got Wind and Sagittae), though he has Thoron as well, so maybe some character will be "mixed".

For Faith users I think there'll be less variety tbh, maybe some character gets one more healing spell and another one more offensive, but I doubt the progression changes too much (I mean if you're leveling Faith on someone it's probably because you need a healer).

1 hour ago, Armchair General said:

It's important to remember that certain spells are class-restricted, like Manuella can only use Heal if she's an Saint, for instance.

What? I thought that "this class can wield magic" meant that they can use any spell they've learned? And then if you're in a class that gives you a spell you already have you get double the uses, at least that was my understanding.

Well as far as I know Saint isn't an actual class in the game so I have no idea what Armchair General is talking about, but there are two ways to learn spells in the game. Leveling up your Reason/Faith and getting them from your class. The former should be available in all magic classes while the latter should only be for when you are in that specific class. A character can get a spell from a class that they can't get (or haven't unlocked yet) from Faith/Reason alone, and would then lose that spell if they switched classes.

Edited by Druplesnubb

I think Fire magic would have suited Dorethea a little bit better. It matches her design more and the burn she gave poor Ferdinant would suggest she's good with fire. 

Darkness being Hubert's thing is no surprise. I think he would go out of his way not to pick something else as to maintain his edgy image. 

16 hours ago, Druplesnubb said:

Well as far as I know Saint isn't an actual class in the game so I have no idea what Armchair General is talking about, but there are two ways to learn spells in the game. Leveling up your Reason/Faith and getting them from your class. The former should be available in all magic classes while the latter should only be for when you are in that specific class. A character can get a spell from a class that they can't get (or haven't unlocked yet) from Faith/Reason alone, and would then lose that spell if they switched classes.

Saint might be the feminine counterpart to Bishop, but I was going by the leak thread.

Okay, according to a Something Awful user, this is Lysithea's Reason and Faith magic: 

Advanced issues found

Spoiler

Reason: Miasma Δ - Swarm Ζ - Luna Λ - Dark Spikes Τ - Hades Ω
All five are dark spells, which have various effects on the enemies.

Faith: Heal - Nosferatu - Seraphim - Warp - Abraxas
All but Heal and Warp are offensive light magic.

20 hours ago, Corrobin said:

Okay, according to a Something Awful user, this is Lysithea's Reason and Faith magic: 

Spoiler

Advanced issues found

Reveal hidden contents

Reason: Miasma Δ - Swarm Ζ - Luna Λ - Dark Spikes Τ - Hades Ω
All five are dark spells, which have various effects on the enemies.

Faith: Heal - Nosferatu - Seraphim - Warp - Abraxas
All but Heal and Warp are offensive light magic.

Spoiler

Powerful Spells; complimented by her high magic; compensated by her frailty, both Gameplay and Story. Poor girl

Playing the Golden Deer too, some more spells :

Spoiler

I have unlocked Blizzard for Ignatz (high critical rate) and Fire for Byleth. Lysithea's Luna Λ is only 1 use at first, and not that strong, hope it'll get better soon XD

Lysithea is really strong, Marianne is a critmage with all of her offensive spells (not counting Nosferatu) having bonus crit and Lorenz learns the two strongest (in Mt) Black Magick spells.

I am loving Golden Deer mage's lineup.

Edited by Tharne