Will characters truly all look different post timeskip?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Still not liking the amount of bright red on Edelgard's dress. The horns still look bizarre for me.
  • Hubert transformed into a mall goth combined with the massive collar he looks nice and creepy.
  • Dorothea ditched the low-quality hat changing into the noblewoman that he hated.
  • Ferdinand came right out Jugdral with that attire.
  • Bernadetta attempt for a haircut is to go crazy with the scissors, not liking it.
  • Caspar drunk his milk in 5 years, that growth spurt is fast. Those shoulders guards are puzzling me how does he lift up this arms without them going into his neck?
  • Loving Petra design of the foreign princess.
  • Linhardt somehow got worse. Man buns are disgusting.
  • Mixed about Leonie ditching the tomboy look. Not too many of those in the series.
  •  Raphael looks like he's like 40s.

Overall everyone looks more visually distinct and for the better. Finally feels like a Fire Emblem cast.

Edited by Jingle Jangle

Didn't think anything of Hubert originally but I like him now and would be my choice if I had to pick one. The smile is very humanising, whereas previously he came off trying to looks like a hardass. Caspar better but still too babyfaced for my tastes. Linhardt also better, looks to have grown into his face, but I can't support that hair. Ferdinand strictly worse. Felix still looks like he's trying too hard, and Raphael is the friendly local bartender who used to be a sailor.

For the girls, I'm a bit disappointed that Petra became much more ...adorned, but that's not a complaint about the design as such, I imagine it makes complete sense given her background. But it does make her less attractive in terms of being an S-support candidate (not that I wasn't guaranteed to pick one of the faculty anyway but just theoretically). Dorothea becomes a fairly standard pretty woman and not a cool punk chick, oh well. Bernadetta and Leonie I'm indifferent about both pre- and post-timeskip.

Dorothea and Petra are definitely more spicy which is fantastic now its gets tougher for me to pick who I want first!!! (gotta make some little game to decide in the game before prom!)Ferdinand grown on me since the Arvis style comparison making it more fine, Hubert really good, Caspar really great, Raphael fuzzy hair, Felix still cool and Linhardt is an improvement at least. Bernadetta is fantastic another possible great choice which I feel is unfairly overhated by some she's a grown woman now she's getting out of her shell the messy hair was her in her younger phase she's grown and refined she takes cares of herself more. Leonie oh boy she looking FINE as well definitely on notice when I pick Golden Deer! If this is all we get until release I'm satisfied

Edited by Dorothea Joestar Arnold

I love what I see, especially Bernadetta but damn Ferdinand got worse for me. Like, I’m not digging his hair at all. 

Spoiler

I love Arvis as he’s my favorite villain but I didn’t need Ferdinand to turn into Orange Arvis...

I love Linhardt though, so he’s my favorite BL male now! 

Wow Caspar actually looks pretty good. Petra looks amazing! Bernadetta looks really cute~ Leonie looks fine~

Dorothea is a bit of a downgrade and I'm not a huge fan of Ferdinand's longer hair. Linhardt looks ok~

Bernadetta's blunt-cut mullet is killing me. Not in a good way. I wouldn't want to leave my room either with a haircut like that.

Everyone else looks so fucking splendid though, I mean really! Linhardt looks SO good, I really like him! Caspar has the trans boy haircut, so I'm a little giddy over that.

Petra looks AMAZING, I'm so glad they decided to do more with her culture. She stands out in such a good way. And thank god, Dorothea lost that dumb hat. Seriously, what an upgrade! At least, in my opinion. Hubert has some nice niche appeal now, I really appreciate that. Leonie looks like a whole different person.. she never stood out before but I love her new look.

2 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:
  • Mixed about Leonie ditching the tomboy look. Not too many of those in the series.

Maybe there’s still hope that one of the girls with longer hair will go more butch after the time skip. Mercedes?

I love how mixed the opinions on every student designs are! Feels like every style got his own chance to shine for a certain public.

But I do wonder...Is there anyone who likes pre-Lorenz more than pos-Lorenz?

They have uploaded all of them  into the spoiler topic, but I am not brave enough to go there again. Maybe another kind soul will upload them in here.

Edited by Titania
Grammar

43 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Hide contents

tgtq0rrxeyb31.png

Spoiler

Jesus, some of them, particularly the girls, look so different I can't tell who is who. A lot of them were so unremarkable pre-timeskip that I'm kind of blown away. I think them being in school uniforms made it hard for them to shine individually. It took this long for the character designer to impress me at all, and seriously, color me surprised! My only complaint is some hairstyles genuinely look stupid, namely Bern's and Ashe's. Ashe's looks overgrown and weird, like he hasn't been able to get a haircut in a couple of months. And hey, to be fair, maybe that is the case. 

edit: (some negativity, dont like dont read)

Spoiler

Mercedes, Annette, and Ingrid all look the exact same.. Like, its just the same face with different hairstyles and its jarring. Its actually kind of confusing seeing any of these girls side-by-side; I bet if you greyscaled some of them, there would be people who couldn't tell who is who. I only point this out because all the men are incredibly distinct.. You won't mistake Raphael for Felix. 

I don't know, I'm disappointed, or irritated, but really this is just an observation. I dunno who is at fault, the director or designer. Either way its kinda major cringe bro. ):

Edited by nyainou

Spoiler

My biggest issue with those are the armors and clothing. They won't correspond to some of the available classes very well. Unless they all have an armor portrait and a clothing portrait, somewhat like the player character in New Mystery.

Cyril even has arrows on his. Makes me somewhat hopeful there are several outfits per character. Really weird if not in his case in particular.

^About outfits.

Edited by Siskan

3 hours ago, Siskan said:
  Reveal hidden contents

My biggest issue with those are the armors and clothing. They won't correspond to some of the available classes very well. Unless they all have an armor portrait and a clothing portrait, somewhat like the player character in New Mystery.

Cyril even has arrows on his. Makes me somewhat hopeful there are several outfits per character. Really weird if not in his case in particular.

^About outfits.

Well it’s not like he can lose access to being able to use a bow anymore... but generally models don’t change with class outside of Ike, Celica, Volke , and well not a class change but going from NPC to playable Elincia I cant think of anyone whose portrait changes when their promoted. 

7 hours ago, nyainou said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Jesus, some of them, particularly the girls, look so different I can't tell who is who. A lot of them were so unremarkable pre-timeskip that I'm kind of blown away. I think them being in school uniforms made it hard for them to shine individually. It took this long for the character designer to impress me at all, and seriously, color me surprised! My only complaint is some hairstyles genuinely look stupid, namely Bern's and Ashe's. Ashe's looks overgrown and weird, like he hasn't been able to get a haircut in a couple of months. And hey, to be fair, maybe that is the case. 

edit: (some negativity, dont like dont read)

Hide contents

Mercedes, Annette, and Ingrid all look the exact same.. Like, its just the same face with different hairstyles and its jarring. Its actually kind of confusing seeing any of these girls side-by-side; I bet if you greyscaled some of them, there would be people who couldn't tell who is who. I only point this out because all the men are incredibly distinct.. You won't mistake Raphael for Felix. 

I don't know, I'm disappointed, or irritated, but really this is just an observation. I dunno who is at fault, the director or designer. Either way its kinda major cringe bro. 😞

I don’t think it’s all a sameface problem, like Ingrid and Mercedes do have distinct eye shapes that they retain post-timeskip. My only real issue is it looks like they stretched out Annette’s features and scaled back her eyes to end up looking closer to the other two, at least from the weird angle in her portrait. Not everyone loses babyface in their 20s!

2 hours ago, iavasechui said:

Well it’s not like he can lose access to being able to use a bow anymore... but generally models don’t change with class outside of Ike, Celica, Volke

Spoiler

In the older games it's much less of a problem as the promotions are the natural progression of their initial locked classes which the portraits represent well enough. It's not a huge deal if the portraits don't show the added details the 3D models or battle sprites gain upon promotion.

Here we have some portraits showing heavy armor belonging to characters you may have trained as mages etc. And sure, Cyril may not have forgotten how to use a bow, but it will still feel like I did something unintended if I had chosen tomake him focus on something else. Such as turning him into a Swordmaster or Fortress etc. Though I don't know how much time and power we have to customize the instructors and children compared to the students.

I'm already having second thoughts about my plan of making use of Lysithea's hidden sword talent and turning her into a Swordmaster and possibly Mortal Savant due to her mage look for example. Just doesn't fit. In the case of Hilda whom I'm turning into a fortress I'll pretend that's how she looks out of her armor during her free time as it doesn't look like she's wearing battle gear at all. Likewise with Linhardt whom I'm planning to recruit. And similar to the academy phase where they are depicted in their school uniforms.

Edited by Siskan

11 minutes ago, Moonlit Knight said:

I may have inadvertently stepped on a landmine, but 

Reveal hidden contents

Is there a spoileriffic reason why Flayn is NOT included in that pic with all the time skip portraits? (Just a yes or no answer appreciated)

I've heard -- but cannot personally verify -- that

Spoiler

There is a reason, but it's not too bad of a spoiler.

Edited by Iridium

Spoiler

So in terms of designs that I prefer

Black Eagles

• Edelgard - Pre-skip>Post-skip: I’ve never been hot on Edelgard’s look to begin with, but the bright  red design sticks out way worse in her empress outfit.
  • Hubert - Pre-skip=Post-skip: Never had much of an opinion on his looks tbh. He’s still as sinister as ever.
  • Dorothea - Pre-skip>Post-skip: One of the most disappointing to me. Ditching the trademark hat and her cute outfit in favor of a generic aristocratic dress lost a lot of appeal for me.
  • Ferdinand - Pre-skip<Post-skip: Honestly I really did the long hair. He looks really handsome and as a guy with longer than average hair it makes me connect to him more.
  • Bernadetta - Pre-skip<Post-skip: A bit tough for me, but I’d have to give it to the post-skip design. I think the neater hair helps.
  • Caspar - Pre-skip=Post-skip: He never really stood out to me in a good or bad way to me, so I’ll sum it up to “He’s fine”. 
  • Petra - Pre-skip=Post-skip: Always liked Petra’s initial look, and the new one is cool as well with how colorful it is.
  • Linhardt - Pre-skip<Post-skip: His first look was fine, but the outfit and slight hair change push his older design more favorably for me. 

Blue Lions

• Dmitri - Pre-skip<Post-skip: Yeah he just looks so much more badass here. One of the most improved for the males.
  • Dedue - Pre-skip=Post-skip: He’s there. Not much to comment on.
  • Felix - Pre-skip=Post-skip: He aight.
  • Mercedes - Pre-skip>Post-skip: What have they done to you? That gorgeous long hair that once stood out? Really crestfallen by the pixie cut. Waifu no longer.
  • Ashe - Pre-skip<Post-skip: He loses a bit of the boyish look, and it works for me.
  • Annette - Pre-skip<Post-skip: One of the most improved females. She went from eh to very attractive. Not a waifu just yet, but I’m impressed. 
  • Sylvain - Pre-skip=Post-skip: He’s solid in both. 
  • Ingrid - Pre-skip>Post-skip: Another noticeable downgrade for me, though it’s not quite as jarring as Mercedes. Still rather disappointing.

Golden Deer

• Claude - Pre-skip<Post-skip: Looks ruggedly handsome, I can see the appeal for him.
  • Lorenz - Pre-skip<Post-skip: Much better looking hair and less derpy face. Probably most improved male aside from Ferdinand and Dmitri.
  • Hilda - Pre-skip<Post-skip: Is that a larger bust I see? Instant yes. Also tend to like ponytails over twintails.
  • Raphael - Pre-skip>Post-skip: Never thought much of Raphael, but the mullet is not doing it for me at all.
  • Lysithea - Pre-skip<Post-skip: Not huge on her overall, but I like her new color scheme more.
  • Ignatz - Pre-skip<Post-skip: His new hair is less noticeably dorky, so I’ll give it to the timeskip.
  • Marianne - Pre-skip=Post-skip: Meh. Pretty samey aside of the eyes.
  • Leonie - Pre-skip<Post-skip: Growing her hair out definitely did her favors, and now I say she’s kinda cute. I’m still not into masculine leaning females, but I definitely like her a lot more.

Overall I like a lot of the timeskip designs, most of which better or at least on par with their previous designs. There a couple of disappointments that especially hurt since they were personal favorites though.

Some thoughts on the new designs. 

Spoiler

I like the new Ashe. Like Casper he seems to have grown up somewhat which is nice for a character that started out as one of the more kiddy males. The hair is a little weird but I like it. It gives me the impression he tried way to hard to have a dignified hairstyle which is kinda cute. 

And speaking of cute I quite like the new Mariane. Her original design never did it for me and I think those black exhaustion marks under her eyes were a big reason for that. They're gone now. 

I'm not feeling the new Iggy very much. I hear people say the hair's a bit improvement but the overly dorky hair is exactly why I liked Iggy's original design. It was part of the nerd charm he was going for. 

I pretty much like everyone post-skip except Ingrid. Shame because she was one of my favorites before. Sylvain is a bit of downgrade too. I also liked Ferdinand with shorter hair, but he still looks good. All in all I'm really impressed with the variety of designs and that they made characters I was really iffy on a lot cooler looking. Some of my favorites are Hubert, Bernadetta, Caspar, Felix, Lysithea, and Leonie.