Arthur's Legendary Bad Luck

Mercakete

I just beat ch10 or something and I'm a little amazed. (Doing a Classic no deaths run.) It took me 3 or 4 tries to get through it, and the previous one. I'm just... How is it that Arthur gets crit on so often? Is this just me, or is there some hidden mechanic that ups the chance that he gets crit on? He's died by 2-4% crit chances at least 4 times in the last 2 chapters. And when it wasn't him, it was someone else. (I remember one poor victim was Niles, who Arthur has a C support with.) Is this normal...?

It's just his stat is shit. Units with even okay luck usually face 0% crit rates; a 5% crit rate will trigger in one in every twenty hits on average, and if Arthur gets into twenty fights a map... people underestimate Luck because even mediocre Luck gets the job done.

Like stated, his luck stat is shit (he starts with 1, whereas according to Fighter class bases, he should have 2; also of note, unlike in most preceding games, crit evade is half of your luck stat in Fates). But even if it wasn't, his personal skill cuts into his crit evade, so yeah. Anyway, though, it's just another reason why you shouldn't bother with Arthur - others include the general suckiness of axe infantry, which is in full force in this game, and his being a liability in general. Not to mention Conquest's unforgiving nature.

Edited by Shadow Mir

His personal skill reduces his crit avoid by 5 (assuming he has any). If you want to use him a forged bronze axe (with its +10 crit avoid) really helps, and you want him to stay in the vicinity of his son once he joins, as the +15 crit avoid from his son's personal skill is made to fix Arthur's misfortune.

When I first played Conquest I got really lucky on Arthur's level ups and actual raised his luck stat quite a bit and when I promoted him to Berserker he became an absolute crit monster. Ironic isn't it?

It's not really his Luck stat that's his problem. Luck only provides half a point of Crit Avoid for every point of it. You never hear about Kaze being crit, yet he only has base Luck of 4 with a 25% growth.

It's his personal that's the real issue. -5 Crit Avoid would require 10 Luck to cancel out, and Arthur only has a base of one. In his join map, for example,  he'd only face 1% chance to be critted, but he actually faces a 6% chance thanks to his personal. Promoting him to Berserker makes this even worse as the class has an innate -5 Crit Avoid. 

But like other users said, there's way to lower the chances. Pairup actually innately increases Crit avoid by 5 without any support levels, and a Bronze Axe provides an additional +10 Crit avoid. So he can avoid low Crit rates if you really want him to. 

Edited by LoneRecon400

10 hours ago, LoneRecon400 said:

It's not really his Luck stat that's his problem. Luck only provides half a point of Crit Avoid for every point of it. You never hear about Kaze being crit, yet he only has base Luck of 4 with a 25% growth.

It's his personal that's the real issue. -5 Crit Avoid would require 10 Luck to cancel out, and Arthur only has a base of one. In his join map, for example,  he'd only face 1% chance to be critted, but he actually faces a 6% chance thanks to his personal. Promoting him to Berserker makes this even worse as the class has an innate -5 Crit Avoid. 

But like other users said, there's way to lower the chances. Pairup actually innately increases Crit avoid by 5 without any support levels, and a Bronze Axe provides an additional +10 Crit avoid. So he can avoid low Crit rates if you really want him to. 

I would sooner say it's both, honestly. Also, I'd find there to be very few reasons to use Arthur when he doesn't bring anything noteworthy to the table that makes up for his glaring weaknesses, and the fact that axe infantry in general are awful in this game.